Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 348
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
These are normal compression numbers, right?

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AgeOne:
The twelve scariest words in the automotive profession.

I Used to be a mechanic and I worked on it myself.
View Quote

I am a mechanic, and I have to send my shit to someone else because I hate working on cars. :) Just paid 3 grand for a new PTU in my wife cherokee trailhawk. If I aint getting paid I aint fixing it
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:04:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TrashWrencher] [#3]
Originally Posted By Goostoff:

I am a mechanic, and I have to send my shit to someone else because I hate working on cars. :) Just paid 3 grand for a new PTU in my wife cherokee trailhawk. If I aint getting paid I aint fixing it
View Quote

I have three levels of what I’ll fix.  

1) That looks fun and easy, or it’s on my TJ, so I’ll do it ASAP
2)  I’ll do it to save money (brakes, things that aren’t too hard to get to), but I’m not going to jump out my ass.
3)  I pay someone for that (odd electrical problems or it’s winter)

I actually have been putting off a valve cover gasket on my focus, and it needs brakes. I’ll send it to a shop for an oil change, because the damn thing is too low to drive up on my ramps.

The Pacifica’s brakes like to intermittently pulse, like the abs is kicking on, but it happens when it’s dry. Probably going to have a shop do that.

My tj has a weird electric gremlin.  It seemed like it might’ve been related to the MFS, so I replaced that. Problem is still there, so when it’s reliably warm, I’ll start chasing grounds. That vehicle is such a pleasure to work on.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Operator states: “The loader just stopped.”
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:
Operator states: “The loader just stopped.”
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/IMG_9521_jpeg-3149945.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]

I found out later that this guy assumed there was guarding under the loader.

When I last checked at 1530, he was still under there cutting it out. I’ll be damned if I clean that mess up.  The 938M leaked all of its transmission fluid, and I saw that the transmission wire harness had been ripped apart.  I’m hoping it stopped because of tension on the drive shaft, but I’m afraid that the transmission is toast.

Dude even said “yeah, it didn’t seem to be moving as well, and then it stopped 100 feet later.”
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]

When I last checked at 1530, he was still under there cutting it out. I’ll be damned if I clean that mess up.  The 938M leaked all of its transmission fluid, and I saw that the transmission wire harness had been ripped apart.  I’m hoping it stopped because of tension on the drive shaft, but I’m afraid that the transmission is toast.

Dude even said “yeah, it didn’t seem to be moving as well, and then it stopped 100 feet later.”
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Probably cut the output seal and leaked all the good stuff out.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:37:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#8]
Starter fell off

Found this guy on the steering rack.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

It sure did.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#10]
“Never made a noise”

Firefighters
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#11]

TBF, I'd guess that between the sirens, wearing those head sets, and multiple blows to the heads from the various "Guns and Hoses" charity sports games, they probably didn't hear it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#12]
"I want to keep my car perfect but I really don't want to spend any money"

five times this week, five times... is this like some new talking point.

"tell you mechanic you don't want to spend any money and he'll just fix it for free I guess"
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#13]
745 in for guess what.................transmission! No forward gears, just reverse. Our shop put in a trans a couple thousand hours ago. That went out so one of our other shops swung one in. That one didn't last 130 hours.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
745 in for guess what.................transmission! No forward gears, just reverse. Our shop put in a trans a couple thousand hours ago. That went out so one of our other shops swung one in. That one didn't last 130 hours.
View Quote

I thought the hose reroute and removal of everything but the automatic Jake brake fixed all that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#15]

I thought the hose reroute and removal of everything but the automatic Jake brake fixed all that.
View All Quotes

Dunno. It's a rental machine so it probably gets beat on a bit harder than something someone owns. Plus I've heard that the other shop that did the current trans is known as "rework central". The tech that did the trans previous to this one was looking over their handiwork and they never tied up any hoses or wiring, so pretty much all of the hoses need to get replaced. The swivel clips that he added were all left in place but not used and they even left the cut zip ties in place, so who knows what else they took shortcuts with. There's also the possibility that the drop box has something failing and took out the trans since they're shared oil.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#16]
My uncle wants to do a vct delete on his ford 5.4. Whats the best way to go about it?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#17]

2)  I’ll do it to save money (brakes, things that aren’t too hard to get to), but I’m not going to jump out my ass.

I actually have been putting off a valve cover gasket on my focus, and it needs brakes. I’ll send it to a shop for an oil change, because the damn thing is too low to drive up on my ramps.

The Pacifica’s brakes like to intermittently pulse, like the abs is kicking on, but it happens when it’s dry. Probably going to have a shop do that.

My tj has a weird electric gremlin.  It seemed like it might’ve been related to the MFS, so I replaced that. Problem is still there, so when it’s reliably warm, I’ll start chasing grounds. That vehicle is such a pleasure to work on.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Goostoff:

Guess you guys have a shop that you know the mechanics/ techs? I dread the day I have to let someone else fix my cars and p/u. Part of it is the money but even more is the trust thing for me
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By thewrencher:

Guess you guys have a shop that you know the mechanics/ techs? I dread the day I have to let someone else fix my cars and p/u. Part of it is the money but even more is the trust thing for me
View Quote

I have one I use for the oil changes I don’t want to do, and one that I use for everything else I don’t want to do.  Thankfully, the latter hasn’t happened in a while.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#19]
This van drove in for a service and has been dead with a crank no start for weeks. New 654 diesel engine in a Sprinter. High pressure fuel is gone, like 7-40 bar and jumping, not the 200-300 it needs to start.

Currently replacing the high pressure pump. It’s down there, the silver thing. This is the easy side of the engine

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By maslin02:
This van drove in for a service and has been dead with a crank no start for weeks. New 654 diesel engine in a Sprinter. High pressure fuel is gone, like 7-40 bar and jumping, not the 200-300 it needs to start.

Currently replacing the high pressure pump. It’s down there, the silver thing. This is the easy side of the engine

https://i.imgur.com/nYpmWt8_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=grand
View Quote

Have you tried setting it on fire?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/nYpmWt8_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=grand

That's really the best solution for most things.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I’ve been tempted. There’s also a nice creek behind the shop, I could push it there but the engine has to be running to come out of park
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been absent a while.  

Just do diagnostic work now.  Sometimes get to feeling like I can't do it anymore.  Last week I had a squeaky squeak in my E class front suspension.  Got two lower ball joints.  Pays nearly 6 hours.  Slammed them home in 20 minutes.  Yeah, I can still do it.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By thewrencher:

View Quote

I have a good relationship with all of the local shops. I send excess work to a ferw of the better ones and they return the favor to me.  In the case of my wifes cherokee it was actually cheaper for me to pay them to do the job than it was for me to try to save money and possibly have the chance of doing it twice. They charged me wholesale rates for everything, and it al has factory warranty if something goes wrone. If you ever had the displeasure of working on one of these things you would pay as well. That was only the third time in my entire life that I ever paid someone to work on my car
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
I've been absent a while.  

Just do diagnostic work now.  Sometimes get to feeling like I can't do it anymore.  Last week I had a squeaky squeak in my E class front suspension.  Got two lower ball joints.  Pays nearly 6 hours.  Slammed them home in 20 minutes.  Yeah, I can still do it.  
View Quote

211 4matic? Those were the graviest of gravy work back in the day. Caster bushings on 210/202 as well, but you needed more than a handful of tools and a hammer.

I miss those days. Gravy work now is just PPM services, hands on good paying jobs like that seem to have disappeared
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#26]
not 4matic.  

Had been given a real head scratcher.  271.8 with two timing sets within 2 years.  Setting faults for exhaust cam retarded.  Did all I could do including oil pressure check before tearing off the valve cover to find the base timing was correct.  Figured it must be that the timing is correct, but is moving when the engine starts.  I am fighting xentry substitute values the whole time.  Decided the central valve must be at fault.  They had never been replaced.  Popped the cam solenoid off, and using a friend and two small pry bars held the timing gear on and slipped a new central valve in place.  Its fixed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ve been out grinding here lately. Moved into a new powerstroke 550 crane body. The cranes bigger but I have a smaller bed. They hired a tech to help me out here in jersey. I worked with the guy at another forklift company before coming to where I’m at now and I am wholly embarrassed that I put my nose on the line for him. He constantly complains to all the other techs asking why we work so late, why we work fast.

He’s a great ball of suck and I’m in disbelief. Today he was helping me change a harness under the cab of a machine. I had to work on a unit in Derate just next us. This man has 15 years on me and a solid 30 years of wrenching. I smell burning plastic and look over and see him using a propane hand torch on the lock rings of corroded canon plugs. He essentially melted the inner plastic and I said “cut it” when he asked what he should do. He took it as I said to cut the plugs off.

He cut one too many plugs and now I need another harness.

I just am at a loss.

Attachment Attached File

After reading what I wrote I realized I rambled. Sorry guys.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#28]
May be getting out of wrenching. I have an interview next week at the water treatment plant (same city signing checks) for a parts clerk job.  $4/hr less pay. Don’t have to get up at 0330 and drive 40 minutes. About half the commute time, with a two hour later start time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#29]
May be getting out of wrenching. I have an interview next week at the water treatment plant (same city signing checks) for a parts clerk job.  $4/hr less pay. Don’t have to get up at 0330 and drive 40 minutes. About half the commute time, with a two hour later start time.
View Quote

Yeah, but...poo water. Don't you remember the poo pond on KAF?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

No thank you.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:35:00 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

No sense of smell, folks.

Also, parts clerk. The guy who, while wearing jeans, sneakers, and a polo, hands parts to techs.  By lunch yesterday, I’d already been at work 6 hours, was filthy, and had 5 hours to go.

I’m getting too old for this shit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Also, parts clerk. The guy who, while wearing jeans, sneakers, and a polo, hands parts to techs.  By lunch yesterday, I’d already been at work 6 hours, was filthy, and had 5 hours to go.

View All Quotes

Fuck wearing a polo. I like getting paid to get dirty.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

I did. Really did. But I’m tired of fighting the “reactive vs proactive” battle at work, and I’m too old to go private sector because of tool cost.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#34]

I did. Really did. But I’m tired of fighting the “reactive vs proactive” battle at work, and I’m too old to go private sector because of tool cost.
View All Quotes

I don't really stress that stuff (granted it doesn't happen much in our shop), it's all the same work and I get paid the same.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Someone stole the oem oscilloscope while I was on vacation.

It's $10k.

Fuck.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Either that or I misplaced the dang octopus, don't know how possible.

Dang thing has 5 leads attached to it that are 5 feet long.

Losing my mind over this.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I have lost alot of faith in my own abilities

This whole year has been a disaster after disaster.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
I have lost alot of faith in my own abilities

This whole year has been a disaster after disaster.
View Quote

Don't worry, I spent many hours troubleshooting and repairing multiple problems on the same system, only to fix it while t/s, and when I laid in my wire repairs I swapped 2 wires and didn't realize it. Had another tech look over it and he found it. I've been doing this too long to be making mistakes like that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Anyone know specifically what these connectors are called, and if so, what terminal release tool do they use? They're DCU connectors made by Bosch. I've ordered a bunch of different release tools from the Cat dealer tool catalog but none of them work and no one seems to know. After much Googling, I did find a Cummins part number that looks like it would work but they want $240 it.

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:45:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#40]
Anyone know specifically what these connectors are called, and if so, what terminal release tool do they use? They're DCU connectors made by Bosch. I've ordered a bunch of different release tools from the Cat dealer tool catalog but none of them work and no one seems to know. After much Googling, I did find a Cummins part number that looks like it would work but they want $240 it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/20240404_122127-3186605.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/20240404_122133-3186606.jpg
View Quote

Our newer smaller stuff is MQS, the older square pins are SLK.

Do you have the locks out? Should be some rails that slide in from one end, possible one for each row. The tool I use is just a small post, have a few sizes that seem to help depending on the housing. Those look super dirty, surprised they aren’t ELA pins as well.

Something like this

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Do you have the locks out? Should be some rails that slide in from one end, possible one for each row. The tool I use is just a small post, have a few sizes that seem to help depending on the housing. Those look super dirty, surprised they aren’t ELA pins as well.

Something like this

https://www.corsa-technic.com/item_images/61015.jpg
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/20240404_122127-3186605.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/20240404_122133-3186606.jpg

Something like this

https://www.corsa-technic.com/item_images/61015.jpg

Yup, locks are out. Just can't find anything that's small enough to get in there. Even a t-pin is snug going through the lock channel. Got a part number for that?

They're dirty cuz it's off of a dozer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:46:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#42]

Yup, locks are out. Just can't find anything that's small enough to get in there. Even a t-pin is snug going through the lock channel. Got a part number for that?

View Quote

The tools I reach for are part of a whole Benz crimp set that's probably $10k

I have a little key ring with like 20 tools on it, bought them on ebay for $1. I've been tempted to pick up a nicer set for myself but 90% of the tools won't ever get used. I just want the single straight and two straight tools. We also use one with two fat posts and one smaller piece off the side, the tool works great but you aren't getting them released without it.

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#43]

I have a little key ring with like 20 tools on it, bought them on ebay for $1. I've been tempted to pick up a nicer set for myself but 90% of the tools won't ever get used. I just want the single straight and two straight tools. We also use one with two fat posts and one smaller piece off the side, the tool works great but you aren't getting them released without it.

https://automotivetechinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Station-14.6.jpg
View All Quotes

I asked TE Connectivity to help with ID and for the proper tool. Hopefully they'll get back to me. One of the tools I ordered through Cat looks kinda like one that kept popping up during my research. I may take a grinder to it to thin it out some if nothing else works. I didn't pay for it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:05:20 AM EDT
[#44]
The one thing I like about Cat is they love Deutsch and Ampseal. Super easy to use and repair. Some components are starting to use micro terminals and the connectors are not serviceable and have a limited number of connect/disconnect cycles before you're supposed to 86 it and replace the harness. Luckily haven't run into that yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:13:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#45]

View Quote

thats pretty much all i do anymore, last cust brake job i did was a year ago at this point.

im so tired of CAN but i guess im good at it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a matco pin removal set but I only use a couple of the tools.  I wish I'd stumbled upon this thread earlier.  Kinda cool seeing that same bosch design is used all around.  Basically you take apart the connector housing and remove the section you need and then just depress the lock on the  socket you want to remove.  

It is critically important that training is given to your techs to use the correct diagnostic procedures.  Use the correct test equipment or the sockets in the harness get spread causing intermittent connections.  

It is also quite difficult to repin those connectors.  I typically just take old harnesses and make repair pigtails I solder and heat shrink in.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#47]
It does look like the inserts would come out but I can't figure out how to get them out either.

And yes, the locks are out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:22:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#48]

thats pretty much all i do anymore, last cust brake job i did was a year ago at this point.

View All Quotes

Just wait till you get FlexRay

Honestly, it's been fine. Physical layer issues mostly, and missing the slot when repinning 907 EZS connectors. Doesn't take the whole network down though, just steering.

Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
I have a matco pin removal set but I only use a couple of the tools.  I wish I'd stumbled upon this thread earlier.  Kinda cool seeing that same bosch design is used all around.  Basically you take apart the connector housing and remove the section you need and then just depress the lock on the  socket you want to remove.  

It is critically important that training is given to your techs to use the correct diagnostic procedures.  Use the correct test equipment or the sockets in the harness get spread causing intermittent connections.  

It is also quite difficult to repin those connectors.  I typically just take old harnesses and make repair pigtails I solder and heat shrink in.

Had an hourly tech diagnose a 906 SCR fault, open circuit to something in the tank. Decided it was rodent damage in the floor and I took over. Repaired the wiring and had open circuits for almost everything, WTF? He probed every one of those little MQS sockets with a T pin. I had to repin half the connector

New Matco guy today, actually a tech of ours from a few years ago. Overheard him telling a young kid the truck account is 20% of balance due per week and 4.9% interest. No way I could have handed over $400 a week as a 20 year old on the $2k everyone kind of understood as the max on a truck account. And I never paid a single percent of interest, that’s why it’s a truck account. I guess 4.9% is better than a credit card
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Just right when this industry beats me into oblivion. It props me back up all within a period of a week.

Only for me to realize as I now stand on my 2 feet again to think that this.

This is just not worth it.

The only other industry I know of that is even more apocalyptic than this is carpentry.

I might jump ship entirely into something else.

You can be the best in the entire world and it would not matter.

This industry is like playing chess with only half the pieces while the other side is a full set.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

Click To View Spoiler
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top