Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Forgive me if I'm derailing your thread but Peter hits hard.

17 Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear. 18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

I love the book of Peter.

I am often confused between prayer and knowledge. I wish to know him, but I also wish to praise him. And while those two things are not irreconcilable, they are most certainty different..

All glory goes to God, may he be so gracious as to bless me with his wisdom
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 7:12:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
Forgive me if I'm derailing your thread but Peter hits hard.

17 Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear. 18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

I love the book of Peter.

I am often confused between prayer and knowledge. I wish to know him, but I also wish to praise him. And while those two things are not irreconcilable, they are most certainty different..

All glory goes to God, may he be so gracious as to bless me with his wisdom
View Quote

No apologies needed, it’s the spirit of the thread!

Yes, Peter is one of my favorite books.

”And this voice we heard brought from heaven, when we were with him in the holy mount. And we have the more firm prophetical word: whereunto you do well to attend, as to a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Understanding this first, that no prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation. For prophecy came not by the will of man at any time: but the holy men of God spoke, inspired by the Holy Ghost.“
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭1‬:‭18‬-‭21‬

To know Him is to praise Him if the knowledge gained is by a reverent heart.  If on the other hand the knowledge is gained only via a desire to study and rationalize the intricacies of Him then the soul will be left without grace.   Think, the growth and praise in knowing your spouse over time vs the knowledge gained of a work client, patient, superior, inferior, etc.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 7:18:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#3]
Gospel reading in the Tridentine Mass today, Sexagesima Sunday, pre-Lent:

St Luke 8:4-15
At that time, when a very great
multitude was gathered together and
hastened out of the cities unto Jesus,
He spoke by a similitude: The sower
went out to sow his seed: and as he
sowed, some fell by the wayside, and it
was trodden down, and the fowls of the
air devoured it. And other some fell
upon a rock: and as soon as it was
sprung up, it withered away, because it
had no moisture. And other some fell
among thorns, and the thorns growing
up with it choked it. And other some fell
upon good ground: and being sprung
up yielded fruit a hundredfold. Saying
these things, He cried out: He that hath
ears to hear, let him hear. And His
disciples asked Him what this parable
might be. To whom He said: To you it is
given to know the mystery of the
kingdom of God, but to the rest in
parables: that seeing they may not see,
and hearing may not understand. Now
the parable is this. The seed is the
word of God. And they by the wayside
are they that hear: then the devil
cometh and taketh the word out of their
heart, lest believing they should be
saved. Now they upon the rock are
they who, when they hear, receive the
word with joy; and these have no roots:
for they believe for a while, and in time
of temptation they fall away. And that
which fell away among thorns are they
who have heard and, going their way,
are choked with the cares and riches
and pleasures of this life, and yield no
fruit. But on the good ground are they
who in a good and perfect heart,
hearing the word, keep it, and bring
forth fruit in patience.

Laus tibi, Christe!

Eta: @WhiskersTheCat , this is what is in my Missal for today…

Distrusting our own powers we should always have perfect confidence in God's grace which will be "sufficient" for us if we humbly ask for it. May then the seed of God's Word, contained in the Scriptures, or sown by the Teaching Church, find "a right and good heart" in us to receive it, that we may bear much fruit in patience.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I will seek that which was lost, and bring again that which was driven away, and will bind up that which was broken, and will strengthen that which was sick: but I will destroy the fat and the strong; I will feed them with judgment.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Gullskjegg:

forth fruit in patience.

Laus tibi, Christe!

Distrusting our own powers we should always have perfect confidence in God's grace which will be "sufficient" for us if we humbly ask for it. May then the seed of God's Word, contained in the Scriptures, or sown by the Teaching Church, find "a right and good heart" in us to receive it, that we may bear much fruit in patience.
View Quote

Brother, you have no idea of the good you do me, and we have never met.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#6]
When you realize the one true sovereignty is with the Lord, it brings both peace as well as fear. Peace in that we only serve one master, fear in that we will no doubt have to make hard choices against fake ones.

Much like education or sports, I have no delusion I am his best or his favorite.

But much like the aforementioned, often sometimes regular people make an impact that's unexpected.

All glory to God, it is my honest wish to know him better.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

forth fruit in patience.

Laus tibi, Christe!

Likewise, I needed to hear that this morning.  With eyes to see and ears to hear, there's no limit to the wonders the Holy Spirit can work in a mans soul; it's less what I'm saying and more what your hearing that is giving you grace, the grace which flows into this world by the true Church, holy and Apostolic.  I am simply sharing my faith and the fullness of Christ that I have found, my pearl of great price.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:45:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#8]
As we prepare for Lent, I want to do something a bit different and go through the meditations of the Rosary one by one, the Joyful Mysteries this week and then the Sorrowful Mysteries leading up to and on Good Friday, and finally the Glorious Mysteries following Easter.

The Joyful Mysteries of the Holy Rosary

The First Joyful Mystery, The Annunciation (Humility) - 'To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. Who having heard, was troubled at his saying, and thought with herself what manner of salutation this should be. And the angel said to her: Fear not, Mary, for thou hast found grace with God. Behold thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and shalt bring forth a son; and thou shalt call his name Jesus. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the most High; and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of David his father; and he shall reign in the house of Jacob for ever. And of his kingdom there shall be no end. And Mary said to the angel: How shall this be done, because I know not man? And the angel answering, said to her: The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the most High shall overshadow thee. And therefore also the Holy which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. ' – (St Luke 1:27-35)
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#9]
The Second Joyful Mystery, The Visitation (Charity) - 'And it came to pass, that when Elizabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the infant leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost: And she cried out with a loud voice, and said: Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For behold as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy. And blessed art thou that hast believed, because those things shall be accomplished that were spoken to thee by the Lord.  – (St Luke 1:41-45)
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#10]
The Third Joyful Mystery, The Nativity of our Lord (Poverty) - 'And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him up in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn. And there were in the same country shepherds watching, and keeping the night watches over their flock. And behold an angel of the Lord stood by them, and the brightness of God shone round about them; and they feared with a great fear. And the angel said to them: Fear not; for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, that shall be to all the people: For, this day, is born to you a Saviour, who is Christ the Lord, in the city of David. And this shall be a sign unto you. You shall find the infant wrapped in swaddling clothes, and laid in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly army, praising God, and saying: Glory to God in the highest; and on earth peace to men of good will. ' – (St Luke 2:7-14)
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#11]
The Fourth Joyful Mystery, The Presentation in the Temple (Obedience) - 'And after eight days were accomplished, that the child should be circumcised, his name was called JESUS, which was called by the angel, before he was conceived in the womb. And after the days of her purification, according to the law of Moses, were accomplished, they carried him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord: ' – (St Luke 2:21-22)
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#12]
The Fifth Joyful Mystery, The Finding in the Temple (Piety) - 'And the child grew, and waxed strong, full of wisdom; and the grace of God was in him. And his parents went every year to Jerusalem, at the solemn day of the pasch, And when he was twelve years old, they going up into Jerusalem, according to the custom of the feast, And having fulfilled the days, when they returned, the child Jesus remained in Jerusalem; and his parents knew it not. And thinking that he was in the company, they came a day's journey, and sought him among their kinsfolks and acquaintance. And not finding him, they returned into Jerusalem, seeking him. And it came to pass, that, after three days, they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, hearing them, and asking them questions. And all that heard him were astonished at his wisdom and his answers. ' – (St Luke 2:40-47)
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I believe in God, the Father almighty,
Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died and was buried;
he descended into hell;
on the third day he rose again from the dead;
he ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty;
from there he will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.

Amen.

I believe.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
I believe in God, the Father almighty,
Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died and was buried;
he descended into hell;
on the third day he rose again from the dead;
he ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty;
from there he will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.

Amen.

I believe.
View Quote

Credo, frater, credo!  Amen
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Epistle for tomorrow, Quinquagesima Sunday:

‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭13‬:‭1‬-‭13
”IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And if I should distribute all my goods to feed the poor, and if I should deliver my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity is patient, is kind: charity envieth not, dealeth not perversely; is not puffed up; Is not ambitious, seeketh not her own, is not provoked to anger, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth with the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never falleth away: whether prophecies shall be made void, or tongues shall cease, or knowledge shall be destroyed. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child. But, when I became a man, I put away the things of a child. We see now through a glass in a dark manner; but then face to face. Now I know I part; but then I shall know even as I am known. And now there remain faith, hope, and charity, these three: but the greatest of these is charity.“

Deo Gratias!‬‬
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Gospel for today, Quinquagesima Sunday:

Luke 18: 31-43
At that time Jesus took unto Him the
twelve and said to them: Behold, we
go up to Jerusalem, and all things shall
be accomplished which were written by
the Prophets concerning the Son of
Man. For He shall be delivered to the
Gentiles, and shall be mocked and
scourged and spit upon: and after they
have scourged Him, they will put Him to
death, and the third day He shall rise
again. And they understood none of
these things, and the word was hid
from them, and they understood not the
things that were said. Now it came to
pass, when He drew nigh to Jericho,
that a certain blind man sat by the
wayside begging. And when he heard
the multitude passing by, he asked
what this meant. And they told him that
Jesus of Nazareth was passing by. And
he cried out, saying: Jesus, son of
David, have mercy on me. And they
that went before rebuked him, that he
should hold his peace. But he cried out
much more: Son of David, have mercy
on me. And Jesus standing,
commanded him to brought unto him.
And when he was come near, He
asked him, saying: What wilt thou that
I do to thee? But he said: Lord, that I
may see. And Jesus said to him:
Receive thy sight, thy faith hath made
thee whole. And immediately he saw
and followed Him, glorifying God. And
all the people, when they saw it, gave
praise to God.

Laus tibi, Christe!
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:08:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#17]
O mightiest King, co-eternal with the Father, who by Thy might hast vanquished hell and trodden death under foot, who hast bound the strong man, and by Thy miraculous power and the enlightening radiance of Thy unspeakable Godhead hast raised Adam from the tomb, send forth Thy invisible right hand, which is full of blessing, and bless us all.
Pity us, O Lord, and strengthen us by Thy divine power.
Take away from us the sinful and wicked influence of carnal desire.
Let the light shine into our souls, and dispell the surrounding darkness of sin.
Unite us to the all-blessed assembly that is well-pleasing unto Thee; for through Thee and with Thee, all praise, honour, power, adoration, and thanksgiving are due unto the Father and the Holy Spirit, now, henceforth, and for evermore. Amen. —Liturgy of St. Mark.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#18]
O mightiest King, co-eternal with the Father, who by Thy might hast vanquished hell and trodden death under foot, who hast bound the strong man, and by Thy miraculous power and the enlightening radiance of Thy unspeakable Godhead hast raised Adam from the tomb, send forth Thy invisible right hand, which is full of blessing, and bless us all.
Let the light shine into our souls, and dispell the surrounding darkness of sin.
Unite us to the all-blessed assembly that is well-pleasing unto Thee; for through Thee and with Thee, all praise, honour, power, adoration, and thanksgiving are due unto the Father and the Holy Spirit, now, henceforth, and for evermore. Amen. —Liturgy of St. Mark.
View Quote

Amen!

A great prayer - and thank you Gullskjegg for posting this. Have attended a Coptic Divine Liturgy (of St. Mark) once. Beautiful, although long.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By EastWest:

Amen!

A great prayer - and thank you Gullskjegg for posting this. Have attended a Coptic Divine Liturgy (of St. Mark) once. Beautiful, although long.
View All Quotes

Amen!

Sounds beautiful.  I wish every traditional Mass was longer, can't get enough.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Sounds beautiful.  I wish every traditional Mass was longer, can't get enough.
View Quote

Well sir, if memory serves, the Coptic liturgy I attended in 1985 was 3 hours. The longest at my Orthodox seminary chapel (no pews, a few seats in the back) was on Holy Saturday, 10am to 1pm. Then of course at 11:30 the Easter matins/orthros started with the Divine Liturgy kicking in a little after midnight and then ending about 2:30am. And then a feast in our refectory after that. It was a blast.

Unfortunately, I am not up to the liturgical stamina I once enjoined in my younger years!

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Judge me, O God, and distinguish my cause from the nation which is not holy: deliver me from the unjust and deceitful man.
For Thou, O God, art my strength: why hast Thou cast me off? and why go I sorrowful whilst the enemy afflicteth me?
Send forth Thy light and Thy truth: they have conducted me and brought me unto Thy holy mount, and into Thy tabernacles.
And I will go into the altar of God: to God who giveth joy to my youth.
To Thee, O God, my God, I will give praise upon the harp; why art thou sad, O my soul, and why dost thou disquiet me?
Hope in God, for I will still give praise to Him: the salvation of my countenance and my God.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, forever and ever. Amen.  
-Excerpt from the Tridentine Mass/The Mass of the Ages.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Judge me, O God, and distinguish my cause from the nation which is not holy: deliver me from the unjust and deceitful man.
For Thou, O God, art my strength: why hast Thou cast me off? and why go I sorrowful whilst the enemy afflicteth me?
Send forth Thy light and Thy truth: they have conducted me and brought me unto Thy holy mount, and into Thy tabernacles.
To Thee, O God, my God, I will give praise upon the harp; why art thou sad, O my soul, and why dost thou disquiet me?
Hope in God, for I will still give praise to Him: the salvation of my countenance and my God.
View Quote

AMEN.

Just an fyi brother, I will be "fasting" from Arfcom for (western) Lent which of course, starts tomorrow, Ash Wednesday.

In the Eastern (rite) Catholic Churches Lent started Monday (for Byzantines, technically Sunday evening after Forgiveness Vespers).

Prayers for you (and all the folks who observe it on this website) for a profitable Lent and Holy Week!    

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#23]

AMEN.

Just an fyi brother, I will be "fasting" from Arfcom for (western) Lent which of course, starts tomorrow, Ash Wednesday.

In the Eastern (rite) Catholic Churches Lent started Monday (for Byzantines, technically Sunday evening after Forgiveness Vespers).

Prayers for you (and all the folks who observe it on this website) for a profitable Lent and Holy Week!    

View All Quotes

AMEN.

Amen!  I've pretty much written off everything already but I'll be here keeping this going at least.  Not a fan of this world.

Fast, do penance, have faith in the Father, and we'll see you back after the Son rises!
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Amen!  I've pretty much written off everything already but I'll be here keeping this going at least.  Not a fan of this world.

Fast, do penance, have faith in the Father, and we'll see you back after the Son rises!
View All Quotes

AMEN.

Very well said, you're a wise man. And thank you for your ongoing dedication to this thread!

See you at the Resurrection of our great God and Savior.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Very well said, you're a wise man. And thank you for your ongoing dedication to this thread!

See you at the Resurrection of our great God and Savior.
View Quote

Thank you!  But man, I'm just a stupid sinner trying to find my way.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Heavenly Father,
In death, a tree falls the direction it's leaning;
Though I should never be confident in the worldly light of tomorrow,
I pray I fall from this darkness into the light of eternal life,
the light of Thy Son.
For it is from dust I am gifted this life and to dust I shall return,
grant me this grace by my faith in Thee.  Amen.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:16:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#27]
Ash Wednesday

Prayer for Ash Wednesday, Tridentine Mass/Roman Right:
Let us pray. O almighty and everlasting God, spare those who are penitent, be merciful to those who implore You; and deign to send Your holy Angel from heaven, to bless and sanctify these ashes, that they may be a wholesome remedy to all who, in humility, implore Your holy name, and who accuse themselves, conscious of their sins, deploring their crimes before Your divine mercy, or humbly and earnestly beseeching Your sovereign goodness; and grant, by the invocation of Your most holy name, that whosoever shall be sprinkled with these ashes for the remission of their sins may receive both health of body and safety of soul, through Christ our Lord. Amen

Let us pray. O God, You desire not the death, but the repentance of sinners; look down most graciously upon our frail human nature; and in Your goodness deign to bless these ashes which we purpose to put upon our heads in token of our lowliness and to obtain forgiveness, so that we who know that we are but ashes, and for the demerits of our wickedness are to return to dust, may deserve to obtain of Your mercy the pardon of all our sins, and the rewards promised to those who repent. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Let us pray. O God, You are moved by humiliation, and appeased by satisfaction; incline the ear of Your goodness to our prayers and mercifully pour forth upon the heads of Your servants sprinkled with these ashes, the grace of Your blessing; that You may both fill them with the spirit of compunction, and effectually grant what they have justly asked; and ordain that what You have granted may be permanently established and remain unchanged. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

As it happens, this year Ash Wednesday lands on the day we honor Saint Valentine, priest and martyr, who died for our Lord and Savior by refusing to renounce Him.

Saint Valentine, who stood strong in your faith for which you were violently beaten and martyred; pray for us, that we may offer penance faithfully to God and stand fast in our creed, no matter the cost.  Amen
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Preface for Lent and Sanctus, Tridentine Mass/Roman Rite:
It is fitting indeed and just, right and helpful to salvation, for us always and everywhere to give thanks to You, O Holy Lord, Father Almighty, Everlasting God, Who by this bodily fast extinguish our vices, elevate our understanding, bestow on us virtue and its reward, through Christ our Lord. Through Whom the Angels praise Your Majesty, the Dominations adore it, the Powers are in awe. The heavens and the heavenly hosts, and the blessed Seraphim, join together in celebrating their joy. With these, we pray You, join our own voices also, while we say with lowly praise: Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God of Hosts. Heaven and earth are filled with Your glory. Hosanna in the highest.  Blessed is He Who comes in the name of the Lord. Hosanna in the highest. Amen.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#29]
May Thy kindly favor, we beseech
Thee, O Lord, accompany the fast we
have begun, that we may be able to
practice with a pure mind what we
perform bodily. Through our Lord
Jesus Christ, Thy Son, Who lives and
reigns with Thee in the unity of the Holy
Spirit, God, forever and ever. Amen.  - Prayer/collect of the Tridentine Mass, Friday after Ash Wednesday.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Epistle for tomorrow, First Sunday of Lent:

2 Corinthians 6: 1-10
Brethren: We exhort you that you
receive not the grace of God in vain.
For He saith: In an accepted time have
I heard thee, and in the day of salvation
have I helped thee. Behold, now is the
acceptable time, behold now is the day
of salvation. Giving no offense to any
man, that our ministry be not blamed:
but in all things let us exhibit ourselves
as the ministers of God, in much
patience, in tribulation, in necessities,
in distress, in stripes, in prisons, in
seditions, in labors, in watchings, in
fastings, in chastity, in knowledge, in
long-suffering, in sweetness, in the
Holy Spirit, in charity unfeigned, in the
word of truth, in the power of God: by
the armor of justice on the right hand
and on the left: by honor and dishonor,
by evil report and good report: as
deceivers and yet true, as unknown
and yet known: as dying, and behold
we live: as chastised and not killed: as
sorrowful, yet always rejoicing: as
needy, yet enriching many: as having
nothing and possessing all things.

Deo Gratias!
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Gospel reading for Mass today, First Sunday of Lent:

Matthew 4: 1-11
At that time Jesus was led by the Spirit
into the desert, to be tempted by the
devil. And when He had fasted forty
days and forty nights, afterwards He
was hungry. And the tempter coming
said to him: If Thou be the Son of God,
command that these stones be made
bread.' Who answered and said: 'It is
written: Not in bread alone doth man
live, but in every word that proceedeth
from the mouth of God. Then the devil
took Him up into the holy city and set
Him upon the pinnacle of the temple,
and said to Him: If Thou be the Son of
God, cast Thyself down. For it is
written: That He hath given His angels
charge over Thee, and in their hands
shall they bear Thee up, lest perhaps
Thou dash Thy foot against a stone.
Jesus said to him: It is written again:
Thou shalt not tempt the Lord Thy God.
Again the devil took Him up into a very
high mountain and showed Him all the
kingdoms of the world and the glory of
them, and said to Him: All these will I
give Thee, if falling down Thou wilt
adore me. Then Jesus saith to him:
Begone, Satan! For it is written: The
Lord thy God shalt thou adore, and Him
only shalt thou serve. Then the devil
left Him: and behold angels came, and
ministered to Him.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God,
for our redemption
You were born and circumcised,
and rejected by the Jews,
betrayed with kiss by Judas,
seized, bound, and led in bonds
to Annas, Caiaphas, Herod, and Pilate,
and You stood before them to be mocked,
smitten with palm and fist,
with the scourge and the reed.

Your face was covered and defiled with spitting,
crowned with thorns,
accused by false witnesses.

You were condemned,
and as an innocent Lamb led to slaughter,
bearing Your own cross,
pierced through with nails,
gall and vinegar were given You to drink,
and You were left on the cross
to die the most shameful of deaths,
wounded with a spear.

By these Your most sacred pains
You deliver us from all sins and penalties.

By Your holy Cross
bring us, miserable sinners,
to that place You brought the repentant thief to Yourself;
for You live and with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. - Pope Innocent III, 12th century
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:43:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#33]
O Lord, God of goodness and mercy,
Who in the midst of an evil and sinful world
hast presented to the society of the redeemed
the Holy Family of Nazareth
as a spotless mirror of piety, justice and love,
behold how the family is being undermined on all sides,
every effort being made to desecrate it
by stripping it of faith, religion and morals.

Regard the work of Thy own hands.
Safeguard in our homes the domestic virtues,
for these alone will ensure us harmony and peace.

Come and stir up the champions of the family.
Bestir the modern apostles so that in Thy Name,
bearing the message of Jesus Christ
and exhibiting holiness of life,
they may revive the doctrines of conjugal fidelity for
married couples,
the exercise of authority by parents,
obedience on the part of children
and modesty on the part of girls.
Grant also through the efforts of these apostles,
that the home favoured by Thee with many blessings
may again become an object of esteem and love
in the minds and hearts of all.

It is through the examples of the Divine model of Nazareth
that the Christian family is to be restored in Jesus Christ
and to recover its former respect and dignity.
Then every home will again become a sanctuary
and in every household will be rekindled the flame of
faith to teach patience in adversity
and moderation in prosperity
and to promote order, peace and harmony in all things.

Under Thy paternal gaze, O Lord,
and with confidence in Thy Providence
and in the loving patronage of Jesus, Mary and Joseph,
the family will become a sanctuary of virtue
and a school of wisdom.
It shall prove, as Christ has promised,
a haven of rest against life's burdens.
In the sight of the world it shall render glory to Thee, O Father,
and to Thy Son, Jesus, until the day when,
through Him, we shall, together with all His members,
sing the Divine praises in the eternal ages to come.
Amen.  - Pope Pius XII, 20th century
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Title change to reflect what the thread really is.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Heavenly Father, Almighty God;
We love Thee, we praise Thee, we adore Thee!
Hear our cry of mercy, O Lord;
How long must we endure?
We beseech Thee, save our families, vindicate Thy living saints,
grant peace in Thy one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.
Rid her of modernism and worldly acquiescence,
rid her of all heresy and compromise,
return tradition to her, the faith of Thy saints,
veil her with Thy love and mercy once again.
Fill Thy pious bishops with the fire of the Holy Spirit,
give them unwavering courage to protect Thy flock,
embrace Thy faithful with the love of Thy Son,
and cast out the cowardly servants of Satan,
who claim to be shepherds;
Save us from the infiltration of Thy Church by the dark one,
filled with pride, his demons have outed themselves,
let them be anathema.
The gates of hell shall not prevail.
Through great suffering, immense grace is given,
by carrying her cross,
may the light of Thy Church grow ever brighter,
through Christ our Lord.
Amen.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#36]
To see light, all we need do is open our eyes; the light comes in by itself. There is no other path that we need to take to light. Now truth is more light than light itself, so nothing can take us to truth other than truth itself. It must approach us, humble itself, and make itself lowly.

And what is Jesus if not this very truth which comes toward us, which hides itself under a form that accommodates itself to our weakness, to show itself as much as our weak eyes can stand to see? And so, in order to be the
way, he also had to be the truth.

Come then, O Truth! You yourself are my life, and because you come close to me, you are my way. What do I have to fear? How can I be anxious? Do I fear that I will not find the way that leads to truth? The way itself, as St. Augustine said, presents itself to us; the way itself comes to us. Come then and live by the truth, reasonable and intelligent soul! What light there is in the teaching of Jesus!  -  Bishop Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet, 17th century
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#37]
This light is all the more beautiful for shining amid the darkness. But let us take care lest we be like those of whom it is written: “The light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil” (John 3:19). Of what use to me is a light that reveals only my ugliness and shame? Retire from me, Light; I cannot endure you. Holy doctrine of the Gospel, eternal truth, all-too-faithful mirror: you make me tremble! We cannot change the truth; let us then change ourselves, for we exist only by a ray of the truth that is within us. - Bishop Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet, 17th century
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Tridentine Mass, 5th Lesson for Today, Ember Saturday of Lent:

Ecclesiasticus 36: 1-10
Have mercy upon us, O God of all, and
behold us, and shew us the light of Thy
mercies: And send Thy fear upon the
nations, that have not sought after
thee: that they may know that there is
no God beside thee, and that they may shew forth Thy wonders. Lift up Thy
hand over the strange nations, that
they may see Thy power. For as Thou
hast been sanctified in us in their sight,
so Thou shalt be magnified among
them in our presence, That
they may know thee, as we also have
known thee, that there is no God
beside thee, O Lord. Renew Thy signs,
and work new miracles. Glorify Thy
hand, and Thy right arm. Raise up
indignation, and pour out wrath. Take
away the adversary, and crush the
enemy. Hasten the time, and
remember the end, that they may
declare Thy wonderful works, O Lord,
our God.
Amen.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:44:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#39]
Gospel reading for the Tridentine Mass today, Second Sunday in Lent:

Matthew 17: 1-9
At that time Jesus took Peter and
James, and John his brother, and
bringeth them up into a high mountain
apart: and He was transfigured before
them. And his face did shine as the
sun: and His garments became white
as snow. And behold there appeared to
them Moses and Elias talking with Him.
And Peter answering, said to Jesus:
Lord, it is good for us to be here:
if Thou wilt, let us make here three
tabernacles, one for Thee, and one for
Moses, and one for Elias. And as he
was yet speaking, behold a bright cloud
overshadowed them. And lo, a voice
out of the cloud, saying: This is My
beloved Son, in Whom I am well
pleased: hear ye Him. And the disciples
hearing, fell upon their face and were
very much afraid. And Jesus came and
touched them, and said to them: Arise,
and fear not. And they lifting up their
eyes saw no one, but only Jesus. And
as they came down from the mountain,
Jesus charged them, saying: Tell the
vision to no man till the Son of Man be
risen from the dead.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#40]
To continue;

Let us love the truth. Let us love Jesus, who is the truth itself. Let us change ourselves so that we may be like him. Let us not put ourselves in a condition that will oblige us to hate the truth. The one who is condemned by the truth hates and flees it. Let there be nothing false in one who is the disciple of the truth.

Let us live by the truth and feed ourselves with it. It is for this that the Eucharist is given to us. It is the body of Jesus, his holy humanity, the pure grain that nourishes the elect, the pure substance of truth, the bread of life, and it is at the same time the way, the truth, and the life. If Jesus Christ is our way, let us not walk in the ways of the world. Let us enter into the narrow gate through which he walked. Above all, let us be mild and humble. Man’s falsehood is his pride, because in truth he is nothing, and God alone is. This is the pure and only truth. - Bishop Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet, 17th century
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Almighty Father, holy is Thy name,
holy is Thy grace and holy is Thy mercy;
Give me the strength and the wisdom to suffer well,
to have faith in Your love, faith in Your plan, faith in the path You have given me.
In suffering I find respect, I find humility, and most of all I find sanctuary;
I find love in Thy Son, Jesus Christ my Lord and my Savior,
who suffered and died for me so that I may live in Your splendor if I so choose,
forever and ever.  Amen.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#42]
"No, Venerable Brethren, We must repeat with the utmost energy in these times of social and intellectual anarchy when everyone takes it upon himself to teach as a teacher and lawmaker – the City cannot be built otherwise than as God has built it; society cannot be setup unless the Church lays the foundations and supervises the work; no, civilization is not something yet to be found, nor is the New City to be built on hazy notions; it has been in existence and still is: it is Christian civilization, it is the Catholic City. It has only to be set up and restored continually against the unremitting attacks of insane dreamers, rebels and miscreants. OMNIA INSTAURARE IN CHRISTO (Build all in Christ). ..." - Pope Saint Pius X, Notre Charge Apostolique (Our Apostolic Mandate), August 25th 1910
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Our Lady of Guadalupe: Prayer For Our Nation

O Virgin of Guadalupe, we turn to you
in this urgent hour of our great need.
Evil forces threaten our nation
From without and from within.
Pray for us, dear Mother

Show the mighty power
God has entrusted to you
To crush the head of the serpent.
In the name of your Son, Jesus Christ,
Destroy the plans of the enemy
against America.

Deliver us from unscrupulous leaders
Who seek to undermine our freedom.
Summon your legions of angels
To battle the lies and deceptions
of the evil one.

Send the Holy Spirit to convert hearts
darkened by sin and fear.

Protect us from terrorists
Who seek to harm our people.
Bring about an end to the carnage of abortion
and protect our children.
Raise up leaders to fight for freedom
And all that is holy and good.

May the name of Jesus be praised as we
place all our trust in the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Amen.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:23:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#44]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
Our Lady of Guadalupe: Prayer For Our Nation

O Virgin of Guadalupe, we turn to you
in this urgent hour of our great need.
Evil forces threaten our nation
From without and from within.
Pray for us, dear Mother

Show the mighty power
God has entrusted to you
To crush the head of the serpent.
In the name of your Son, Jesus Christ,
Destroy the plans of the enemy
against America.

Deliver us from unscrupulous leaders
Who seek to undermine our freedom.
Summon your legions of angels
To battle the lies and deceptions
of the evil one.

Send the Holy Spirit to convert hearts
darkened by sin and fear.

Protect us from terrorists
Who seek to harm our people.
Bring about an end to the carnage of abortion
and protect our children.
Raise up leaders to fight for freedom
And all that is holy and good.

May the name of Jesus be praised as we
place all our trust in the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Amen.
View Quote

Amen, brother!

Ave Maria et spera in Christe!
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:14:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#45]
At the first then it was of the gift of God that the grace of the Spirit lighted upon them [the Apostles] so largely and abundantly; but after that, it was of their own virtue that they retained the Gift. For they displayed a shining life, and much wisdom, and great labors, and despised this present life, and thought nothing of earthly things, but were above them all; and like a sort of light-winged eagle, soaring high by their works; reached to heaven itself, and by these possessed the unspeakable grace of the Spirit.

Let us then imitate them, and not quench our lamps, but keep them bright by alms-doing, for so is the light of this fire preserved. Let us collect the oil into our vessels while we are here, for we cannot buy it when we have departed to that other place, nor can we procure it elsewhere, save only at the hands of the poor. Let us therefore collect it thence very abundantly, if, at least, we desire to enter in with the Bridegroom. But if we do not this, we must remain without the bridechamber, for it is impossible, it is impossible, though we perform ten thousand other good deeds, to enter the portals of the Kingdom without alms-doing. Let us then show forth this very abundantly, that we may enjoy those ineffable blessings; which may it come to pass that we all attain, by the grace and lovingkindness of our Lord Jesus Christ, with whom to the Father and the Holy Ghost be glory, for ever and ever. Amen.

- Saint John Chrysostom, 5th Century, excerpt from the commentary on the Gospel of John chapter 2. (Not verse specific, the books of the Bible had not yet been divided into chapters and verses.)
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:06:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#46]
It is time, we have five Fridays before Easter so I will be posting the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Holy Rosary each Friday, one by one, ending on Good Friday.

The First Sorrowful Mystery of The Holy Rosary, The Agony in the Garden (Contrition) - 'For I say to you, that this that is written must yet be fulfilled in me: And with the wicked was he reckoned. For the things concerning me have an end. But they said: Lord, behold here are two swords. And he said to them, It is enough. And going out, he went, according to his custom, to the mount of Olives. And his disciples also followed him. And when he was come to the place, he said to them: Pray, lest ye enter into temptation. And he was withdrawn away from them a stone's cast; and kneeling down, he prayed, Saying: Father, if thou wilt, remove this chalice from me: but yet not my will, but thine be done. And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him. And being in an agony, he prayed the longer. And his sweat became as drops of blood, trickling down upon the ground. And when he rose up from prayer, and was come to his disciples, he found them sleeping for sorrow. And he said to them: Why sleep you? arise, pray, lest you enter into temptation. As he was yet speaking, behold a multitude; and he that was called Judas, one of the twelve, went before them, and drew near to Jesus, for to kiss him. And Jesus said to him: Judas, dost thou betray the Son of man with a kiss? ' – (St Luke 22:37-48)
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Roman Rite Epistle reading for the 3rd Sunday of Lent tomorrow:

Ephesians 5: 1-9
Brethren: Be ye followers of God, as
most dear children: and walk in love, as
Christ also hath loved us, and hath
delivered Himself for us, an oblation
and a sacrifice to God for an odor of
sweetness. But fornication, and all
uncleanness or covetousness, let it not
so much as be named among you, as
becometh saints: or obscenity, or
foolish talking, or scurrility, which is to
no purpose: but rather giving of thanks.
For know you this, and understand, that
no fornicator, or unclean or covetous
person, which is a serving of idols, hath
inheritance in the kingdom of Christ
and of God. Let no man deceive you
with vain words: for because of these
things cometh the anger of God upon
the children of unbelief. Be ye not
therefore partakers with them. For you
were heretofore darkness: but now light
in the Lord. Walk then as children of
the light: for the fruit of the light is in all
goodness, and justice, and truth.

Deo gratias!
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Tridentine/Roman Rite Gospel reading for the Third Sunday in Lent:

Luke 11: 14-28
At that time Jesus was casting out a
devil, and the same was dumb. And
when He had cast out the devil, the
dumb spoke, and the multitudes were
in admiration at it. But some of them
said: He casteth out devils by
Beelzebub, the prince of devils. And
others, tempting, asked of Him a sign
from Heaven. But He, seeing their
thoughts, said to them: Every kingdom
divided against itself shall be brought to
desolation, and house upon house
shall fall. And if Satan also be divided
against himself, how shall this kingdom
stand? Because you say that through
Beelzebub I cast out devils. Now if I
cast out devils by Beelzebub, by whom
do your children cast them out?
Therefore, they shall be your judges.
But if I by the finger of God cast out
devils: doubtless the kingdom of God is
come upon you. When a strong man
armed keepeth his court, those things
are in peace which he possesseth. But
if a stronger than he come upon him
and overcome him, he will take away
all his armor wherein he trusted, and
will distribute his spoils. He that is not
with Me is against Me: and he that
gathereth not with Me scattereth. When
the unclean spirit is gone out of a man,
he walketh through places without
water, seeking rest: and not finding, he
saith: I will return into my house
whence I came out. And when he is
come, he findeth it swept and
garnished. Then he goeth and taketh
with him seven other spirits more
wicked than himself, and entering in
they dwell there. And the last state of
that man becomes worse than the first.
And it came to pass, as He spoke
these things, a certain woman from the
crowd, lifting up her voice, said to Him:
Blessed is the womb that bore Thee,
and the paps that gave Thee suck. But
He said: Yea, rather, blessed are they
who hear the word of God, and keep it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Let us consider, beloved, how the Lord continually proves to us that there shall be a future resurrection, of which He has rendered the Lord Jesus Christ the first-fruits by raising Him from the dead. Let us contemplate, beloved, the resurrection which is at all times taking place. Day and night declare to us a resurrection. The night sinks to sleep, and the day arises; the day [again] departs, and the night comes on. Let us behold the fruits [of the earth], how the sowing of grain takes place. The sower Luke 8:5 goes forth, and casts it into the ground, and the seed being thus scattered, though dry and naked when it fell upon the earth, is gradually dissolved. Then out of its dissolution the mighty power of the providence of the Lord raises it up again, and from one seed many arise and bring forth fruit. - Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians, Ch 24, 1st Century.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:49:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#50]
I am she whom you know so well.
Men hate me, and fear me, above all others on earth.
My countenance affrights them and my touch appals them.
They turn from me with cursing and reviling,
and for this reason they do not learn the truth,
I am not hideous, but beautiful.
I come laden with rich treasure, but men flee at my approach.
They will not wait to receive my gift from my hands.

I courted you: you did not shrink from me.
I embraced you: you suffered it.
Therefore I will reward you beyond all your expectation.
I will lead you to great beauty and deep joy,
of which this joy you now feel is but a taste.
Only make room for me in your heart.
When you feel me coming, stand to meet me:
do not flee. I will come to you in many forms,
but whatever guise I wear, greet me as your chosen friend.
Make me your bride.
For I was the companion of Him whose beauty you have seen in Mass.
Give me your hand without fear.
Yield yourself with confidence to me.
I will lead you to His beauty, and to Him.
Make me your bride.

I am Suffering
I am Pain
I am Light in the Darkness

- Michael Kent, From 'The Mass of Brother Michel' (adapted)
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top