Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2013 12:37:45 PM EDT
So I was trying to adjust my showerhead while showering and all of a sudden it just broke off at the junction where it threads into the copper piping. Now I have a 1" piece of showerhead stuck in the threads of the water line piping.

I tried using a 10" file but it's too big and the 8" just spins. Tried extractors but they just spin also... I'm trying to avoid using a saw.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't understand what you're doing with a file.

Any way to drill a hole and put a screwdriver through it?
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
hack saw blade down the hole
cut a slot

spin yank pry it out
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
doubletap
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually try pliers when something is too hard to turn by hand.

1 pair on pipe, 1 pair on the broken threaded part of showerhead.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Then comes the fun of rethreading the pipe.....

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can get on the outside of the pipe use a basin wrench to get a grip and a crescent wrench to turn the basin wrench. Any pics....
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#7]
An extractor like this failed?

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 6:12:39 AM EDT
[#8]

This is what I used to fix the same break. The only difference is that when I tried to use a chrome unit like this it would only slip and not bite in.

Returned that unit and bought this:

Also in the picture above, the tool needs to be inserted all the way in so the "cam" can bite into the broken piece of pipe. When you turn the tool to remove the broken piece it will grip the inside portion and then twist out without hurting the threads. Just be sure the cam is biting into the broken pipe and not the pipe itself.

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Yup I tried that. Purchased a set from Lowes and came in the 3 sizes. The smallest was too small, the largest was too big and the middle would catch and just spin after. It seems like it won't catch enough metal to hold it while turning it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yup I tried that. Purchased a set from Lowes and came in the 3 sizes. The smallest was too small, the largest was too big and the middle would catch and just spin after. It seems like it won't catch enough metal to hold it while turning it.

I purchased the same set as well from Home Depot. They didn't work. They were chrome and the ribs were not sharp at all. I had given up hope as well until I realized a higher quality tool was available.

The tool I linked to above worked, without issue, on the first try. The only caveat is to be sure the cam is cam'd into the broken piece when turning. If not, it will bite into the pipe threads and chew them up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 7:10:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Had this happen once in college and I made the stupid mistake of calling a plumber.  It took him less than 5 minutes to hacksaw through the remaining piece and then the used pliers to twist it out.  Cost me $75 to do it and was the last time I paid someone to fix something simple around the house.  This was the turning point in my life where I decided it was cheaper and more sensible to buy the tools I needed to fix repairs like this and not pay someone else to do it.  I get the satisfaction of repairing things myself, and an awesome collection of tools!
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I decided it was cheaper and more sensible to buy the tools I needed to fix repairs like this and not pay someone else to do it.  I get the satisfaction of repairing things myself, and an awesome collection of tools!

BAM!  The DIYer's creed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you have a large pair of channel locks?
Open the jaws all the way and insert one of the jaws into the broken pipe,
Now take a screwdriver and put it thru the slot in the channel locks and twist counter clockwise.
The newer the channel locks the better that is because the jaws have good sharp edges that will dig into the pipe.

And if you still have the easy outs try tapping them into the pipe to get it to start biting into the pipe.
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you have a large pair of channel locks?
Open the jaws all the way and insert one of the jaws into the broken pipe,
Now take a screwdriver and put it thru the slot in the channel locks and twist counter clockwise.
The newer the channel locks the better that is because the jaws have good sharp edges that will dig into the pipe.

And if you still have the easy outs try tapping them into the pipe to get it to start biting into the pipe.

I'll try this when I get home tonight!

The easy outs were either too big or too small.... they was never enough for them to grab onto the broken piece.
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#15]
So I finally got it out using a reverse thread extractor and when I took them out I noticed this:

Looks like whoever installed it before tried to cut it and cut all the way through the threads....

You can see the cuts at the 5 o'clock and 8 clock positions.

Am I going to have to replace that entire piece?
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Drywall on the other side of the wall?  Yeah I'd replace the drop ear 90.
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#17]
If you don't replace it,  you are asking for it! Err on side of caution i would say and replace it. If you can, just make a access hole on other side of wall if possible and make a hatch for future repairs.If it is not unsightly that is.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Perfect example to why a person should not use a hacksaw blade to remove the broken section.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#19]
The question I see is this - was it leaking into the wall and what damage is hidden from your view?
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The question I see is this - was it leaking into the wall and what damage is hidden from your view?

No kidding huh? Ugh... so frustrating.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I was just faced with hidden significant water damage.  I was considering installing a full length mirror in the hallway, hung from hidden hinges.  When opened, it would reveal the tub and shower plumbing.  

I didn't do it.  I didn't need to do it, as I had to entirely replace the shower walls, so I had access from the tub side..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top