Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2016 1:08:51 PM EDT
I am looking for a tool chest to try and clean up some of the random clutter of my current tool situation. I am not a professional mechanic and do not need a $15K Snap On but figured I would ask the HIVE if they had any good recommendations.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I got the costco one for $600 and it's surpurb for home use.

It's a heavy bitch though, bring a strong guy friend or a trailer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Believe it or not, some of the chests and boxes at Harbor Freight look pretty damn good for the $.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the Kobalt stainless ones and like it a lot
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the look of Milwaukee boxes at HD.
But if it were me, I'd get a harbor freight box
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Harbor freight is fantastic for the price (except the smallest size).

Do a search for them on garagejournal.Com and here as well.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I was at Menard's today.   They have some nice looking chests.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:41:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a nice ball bearing Craftsman 26 in chest/roll around that I bought new in 1998 (I think).  It's a nice one.  Well made and has been great for all these years.  

I finally ran out of room so I bought a Harbor Freight 26 inch box.  I had a sale coupon so bought it for $319+ tax.  I remember paying somewhere around $600 for the Craftsman back in 1998.  Sad to say, the Harbor Freight box is just as good.  I'm very pleased with it.  I do wish they would have combined a couple of the smaller drawers to give me at least one more deeper drawer but that's a minor gripe.  The HF boxes (their top of the line not their bottom of the line) boxes are that good.  Yes there are better boxes out there but there is NO box out there....and I really mean NO box....that gives the value of the HF boxes.  

For the need that the OP needs to fill, HF will easily meet his needs.  

The 26 inch box was perfect for me to add to my storage capacity but a lot of people really like the 44 inch boxes.  If I had to buy only one box, it would be the 44 inch one.  Since I already had the 26 inch Craftsman, adding another 26 inch box was perfect for me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:15:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Husky in my kitchen that I think I paid $125 for during a sale. Half is tools, half is kitchen supplies

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:51:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I really like my HF roll around cart. It is the red one and with coupon it is about 150 bucks. I put all my wrenches and sockets in mine and can roll it to each Bay of my shop. I also have the smaller red HF box that is decent also but the drawers aren't as deep as I would like but there are plenty of them. I got the less commonly used stuff in that one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:14:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Make one out of walnut.  

Still need to add drawer fronts and the top.  Still so much nicer than what it replaced:

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got the HF 44" top, bottom and two side cabinets.  No regrets.  Just bought another 44" bottom for my son last weekend.  He just started at tech for automotive technology.  Great boxes.  Lots of pro wrench turners are using them too to stay away from the Snap On devil.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've got the HF 44" top, bottom and two side cabinets.  No regrets.  Just bought another 44" bottom for my son last weekend.  He just started at tech for automotive technology.  Great boxes.  Lots of pro wrench turners are using them too to stay away from the Snap On devil.
View Quote

Came here to post this as well.  For what you pay you get one hell of a box.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I have the HF 44" top and bottom.
Better quality then both my Craftsman boxes and cost less then the (much smaller) Cman units even though I purchased them 20 years earlier.

Other then one tiny issue with the drawer label covers (that is easily fixed) I have zero complaints.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I doubt you have Rural King in Texas but for others that do, IMHO you cannot beat the cost vs. value of their large boxes when they are on sale. My only complaint is that instead of a latch on the drawer it's a ball-detent which makes it a bit harder to open/close but that is minor considering the cost savings. It has very smooth roller slides; I have 1 drawer that has about 3-400 lbs of carbide tooling in it and the drawers pull out as easy as they do when empty.

I bought mine 3-4 years ago on Black Friday; the 42" Chest & cabinet combo (stands over 5' tall) cost me $400. I regret not buying the 72" (6 feet tall) chest & cabinet combo for $700 (IIRC on the price). I'm out of room and in desperate need of more space. I'm hoping they will run them on sale again for black Friday this year; I think I'll buy just the rolling cabinet and set my 42" chest on top of it; that will leave me a 30" flat top work platform to the side of the chest.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Get the red HF ones as everyone is suggesting.

I have two of them and a kobalt brand one.  Unless you find a sweet clearance deal on a box, the HF ones with a coupon are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Coupon database for HF http://www.hfqpdb.com/ people like their boxes but I do not have one.

Craigslist and garage sales are good places to search if you have time.

Mine are Craftsman that I've had for 25 years or so, and they've been great.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:20:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Coupon database for HF http://www.hfqpdb.com/ people like their boxes but I do not have one.

View Quote

Coupons are void on tool cabinets.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:49:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are coupons for tool chests. They have to be specifically for them though. I just used one for a chest a couple weeks ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top