Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2016 1:00:56 PM EDT
Want to get something to take the edge off the cold this winter while I'm working in the garage.  Has to be something portable and can be used in enclosed spaces.  Was thinking the Mr. Heater tough buddy (18000 BTU) might be the ticket, but not sure if there's something better out there.  It's for a 2 car garage w/ 12 ft celings and not insulated.  

I'm renting and the property manager/owner won't give me an "allowance" or discount on my rent to insulate and finish out the garage.  So insulating the garage and installing a more permanent unit is out.  It needs to be something portable.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Want to get something to take the edge off the cold this winter while I'm working in the garage.  Has to be something portable and can be used in enclosed spaces.  Was thinking the Mr. Heater tough buddy (18000 BTU) might be the ticket, but not sure if there's something better out there.  It's for a 2 car garage w/ 12 ft celings and not insulated.  

I'm renting and the property manager/owner won't give me an "allowance" or discount on my rent to insulate and finish out the garage.  So insulating the garage and installing a more permanent unit is out.  It needs to be something portable.  
View Quote

I use the Big Buddy and it works great.  I have a 12' hose and keep a 100 lb tank outside the garage.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Mr. Buddy heaters are great. If you use the hose, use the inline filter.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're thinking about using a 100lb LP tank you may want to consider using a two stage regulator at the tank ( outdoors).  Mr. Buddy tech support can help you with that...  

Legally, a two stage regulator must be 10ft from any opening ( at the same elevation or lower ) or source of ignition because the regulator has a vent.  It's designed that way to prevent excess gas pressure at the appliance.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I use this kerosene heater I got from home depot.  I turn it on 30 to an hour before I go into the garage and it keeps it nice and warm.  I used a propane heater for a little while but the kerosene heater is cheaper to run and puts out more heat.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use this kerosene heater I got from home depot.  I turn it on 30 to an hour before I go into the garage and it keeps it nice and warm.  I used a propane heater for a little while but the kerosene heater is cheaper to run and puts out more heat.
View Quote
I thought the kerosene heaters weren't safe to use indoors....did that change?  They sure do pump out way more BTUs and are cheaper to run. 
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I thought the kerosene heaters weren't safe to use indoors....did that change?  They sure do pump out way more BTUs and are cheaper to run. 
View Quote

I haven't blown myself up yet, but I think they're rated for indoor use. I use a clean kerosene but it still stinks a tiny bit on startup and shutdown, but the smell goes away in a couple minutes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have NG get a blue flame heater.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#8]
The kerosene torpedo heaters are good if you have a lot of ventilation. If the garage is sealed and insulated it's not a great idea. Carbon monoxide will get you. We had one in a 40x60 workshop but we used to keep the overhead door about 4' open. One time we closed the overhead door and just put the unit in the passage door. Eventually we all got headaches and felt like shit. No passing out or anything but felt like crap for a while.

I like the Mr. Buddy. I was surprised how long the small one runs on a BBQ tank.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Depends on your prices for kerosene vs propane but in my area, kerosene would be somewhere around 2 times the cost of propane.  

Propane would be my recommendation.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#10]

I bought a antique kerosene heater like this for the garage. burns totally clean so there is no soot to be found. I can heat the garage all day for $2-3. when the furnace went out on a Saturday night I brought it inside to heat the house with no problems. no moving parts so no fan noise!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I always recommend vented propane heaters over vent free but in the OP's case, he's going to have to go with vent free.  

Something like this would be ideal.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I always recommend vented propane heaters over vent free but in the OP's case, he's going to have to go with vent free.  

Something like this would be ideal.  
View Quote

Good recommendation.  We have a couple of those and we've been happy.  They burn clean and there isn't much odor until the tank gets low which is typical for LP..   We did pay more than a $100  A nice feature of that unit is the three heat settings.  After the space is warm it can be turned down to 12k or 6k BTUs.  That unit is sold under several brand names.

OP- a 20lb gas tank will provide about 24hrs of continuous heat at 18K BTUs.  Three days at 6K BTUs.

Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:59:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I run the Mr Heater 80K in my garage on low (3 car with 9ft ceilings).  I added a cutoff valve after the regulator so that I can turn it down even more than the low setting on it.  Heats up my garage in less than 30 minutes, so I can run as needed.   The first few times I ran it I had a smell from it, but after it was broke in, I have not had any problems with scent from it in 3 years.  I usually am opening the door at some point, so it gets vented most times, plus I have a attic fan in the garage, so it gets vented from that also.   Works great and can be used outside when needed also.

MR Heater 80K Heater
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top