Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2009 1:18:51 PM EDT
This is my Wife's Grandfather's 1860 Cavalry saber, issued to him in the early 1880's, when he joined Squadron "A" of the NY Nat. Guard.  We'd like to mount it, as a crossed sword/scabbard, above our living room entryway.

I'm thinking of making a nice wide ebonized wood plaque with a routed edge to mount it to before putting up.

My question is, what would be the most secure and inconspicuous method of mounting the saber to the plaque?

The saber as we'd like to display it:

Any and all ideas welcome!

Regards - Superreverb and wife, Alice.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#1]
A wire that matches the patina closely used to bind both pieces in place would be my suggestion. Cool project.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Teenager Killed By Falling Sword
March 7, 2006
Topics sword, dead, teenager, death and charges

Authorities say a teenager is dead after being accidentally slashed by a sword that fell off his bedroom wall while he played ball with his siblings.

Joshua Hershberger, 15, was sitting on the floor of his room Monday night, bouncing a ball with his 9-year-old sister and 14-year-old brother. The ball bounced up and knocked a 29-inch sword off the wall, where it was on display.

He was slashed in the shoulder and neck and pronounced dead at a Tampa suburb hospital.

The death is considered an accident and charges will likely not be filed
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh - I forgot to add that neither of my kids are teenagers yet.....

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#4]
the warning is so that dad does it right and he kids get a chance to grow up
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
That's why I'm looking for the most secure way to do it. The room has very little traffic, but two issues come to mind: A) Don't want the thing falling off; and B) Don't want the steel touching something that it'll react with and pit/rust (I keep a very light coating of RIG on the blade aready....).

The patina/corrosion on the scabbard is from my brother-in-law keeping it, unprotected, in his attic for 25-years...

And he wonders why I won't lend him a shotgun......

Regards - Ed
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I would use a strong/large wire next to the hilt, maybe a piece at both ends of the hilt(pommel cap and ricasso). Easy to hide. I would rely on that one/two wire to support the entire weight of the sword. I would then find the thinest wire I could find to hold somewhere along the blade, near the end, to keep it from moving.

Or fabricate some acrylic/lexan mounts that the blade can slide into.

Or route a blade shaped groove into the plaque for the point section of the blade to slide into and secure the hilt end like mentioned above or with the d-guard.

Simple.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

p.s. I cheated for the hilt terminology...

Link Posted: 1/6/2009 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#7]
something like this....

Link Posted: 1/6/2009 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Nice blade.  I LOVE blades.

I have no good advice to offer, but that's a nice sword.  Obscure as little of it as possible.  

ETA:  In the castles in England they have, literally, THOUSANDS of blades mounted––many like yours.  Gobs of tourists walking through there every day.  Maybe google some pics of the castle armories?  You'd see how they do it.  Very secure, but no damage to the blades, and as much of the weapon showing as possible.
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#9]
You could do a shadow box, where the sword and scabbard are attached inside a box frame covered by glass and hang that on the wall like a big picture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top