[#1]
RIP
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigbore:

I applaud his family for the honesty.
View Quote

agreed.  maybe it will help drive home the consequences to others that struggle with such.

still a sad situation.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to work in addiction treatment.

Everybody "Jokes" about drinking and drug use, but the dark demons that come with it can be dire. It's not funny.

I had a shooting friend who drank himself to death. I miss catching him at the range.

Take any lesson you can from this tragedy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for your loss. We are diminished.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Alcoholism is very tough on a family. I'm sorry for them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By midmo:
"...after a long battle with alcohol addition..."

Since when do they start listing those kinds of personal details in an obituary?  JFC.
View Quote

It is up to the family.  I would say it is a subtle public service warning to those so inclined.  

I have seen much more explicit messages in obits regarding drugs.  Not common but it happens.

My condolences to the friends and family.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]

I always pointed fellow NYers to ADCO for barrel work, since it was so commonly needed here to adhere to the silly laws.

My thoughts are with you guys and his family.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:58:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BLKVooDoo] [#11]

Since when do they start listing those kinds of personal details in an obituary?  JFC.
View Quote

To bring awareness. My mother did the same thing when my Aunt died at 41 years old.

I will be 41 in October, I was 28 when she died. And I definitely did a self evaluation on my drinking patterns and really did some thinking on my families history of alcohol abuse.

My cousin is now 2 years sober, and I rarely drink anymore. Her passing and not candy coating why she died helped me.

My condolences to his family, friends, and coworkers.

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:14:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#13]

View Quote
N/m, apparently it's somewhat common.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Condolences to his family & friends.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn. Only a year older than me.

That really sucks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#16]
RIP.

Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
Maybe they're trying to help other people avoid a similar fate?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn, RIP.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#19]
My sincerest condolences.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:26:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tweek218] [#20]
Originally Posted By mattellis2:

agreed.  maybe it will help drive home the consequences to others that struggle with such.

still a sad situation.
View Quote

Yep. I think it’s a good thing they were just up front and honest in a situation like this. Who knows if it might help someone else.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Same age as one of my daughters, way too young. Very sad situation.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

The family writes the obit so I guess they wanted that included for some reason.  I can't say I've ever seen it before.

Known several drug addicts who died of ODs or suicide and their families all made it sound like they died trying to find a cure for cancer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#23]
God speed
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Tweek218:

Yep. I think it’s a good thing they were just up front and honest in a situation like this. Who knows if it might help someone else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tweek218:
Originally Posted By mattellis2:

still a sad situation.

The dangers of alcohol abuse have been well documented and advertised for decades, if not centuries.  While I personally see no benefit to tarnishing a victim's memory by broadcasting his own personal struggle to the world, it is the family's decision and he may even have made the decision himself before he passed.  At any rate, no more from me on it.  This thread is not the time or place to dicker about it.

RIP
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#25]
RIP

Sorry for your loss.  Peace to his family.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#27]
RIP to him.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

A lesson to others...

RIP

I'm sorry for your loss.  

My best friend is currently battling an alcohol addiction relapse.  It will likely cost him his family.  Maybe his job and possessions, as well.  If he keeps up his current trajectory, his life.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

I am thankful the family decided to do this, personally, as many of us have struggled in the past and some members continue to struggle today. Matt was a good man and he did beautiful work. He will be missed by many in the shooting community.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#31]
RIP
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#32]

37, his birthday is in 5 days.
View Quote

Damn.

My heart, and prayers, go out to his family, and to all those who knew him.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#33]
So sad!
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By BLKVooDoo:

To bring awareness. My mother did the same thing when my Aunt died at 41 years old.

I will be 41 in October, I was 28 when she died. And I definitely did a self evaluation on my drinking patterns and really did some thinking on my families history of alcohol abuse.

My cousin is now 2 years sober, and I rarely drink anymore. Her passing and not candy coating why she died helped me.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BLKVooDoo:

I'm also 41. I've now been sober for just over a year. Not to take away from the point of this thread. Alcohol can be a very bad thing and destroys family's and lives. I'm happy I got ahold of it before it did that to me....well us. I'm sitting here reading this as I take a break from chasing my 2 and 4 year old boys around and getting things ready for my wife and I to take our boy to preschool tomorrow morning for his fist day. I feel better than I ever have.

I'm so sorry for the loss of this man. He had so much to look forward to, and obviously some great talents. My condolences are genuine and closely felt
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Fowty:

The family writes the obit so I guess they wanted that included for some reason.  I can't say I've ever seen it before.

Known several drug addicts who died of ODs or suicide and their families all made it sound like they died trying to find a cure for cancer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fowty:

They did emphasize the alcohol part of his addiction. They didn't say which substance killed him.
Whatever. I did notice the impact on ADCO and in the past year bought a threaded barrel instead of having one threaded, which was my first instinct.
RIP.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Jesus called.  He said he already knew.

He also said he wanted you to learn how to spell "addiction" better.

Rest In Peace, Matt.  May we learn from this.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#38]
That sucks.  No father should have to endure the death of a child.

I'm sure that he worked on some of my barrels and he did excellent work.  My he rest in peace and I hope his family gets some eventual comfort.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Bad news, condolences to all survivors.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Alcohol killed him.  He drank himself into at least 3 comas in the last couple years.   The last one he came out of with brain damage and had to learn to walk again.   It's said rehab was always a struggle because apparently alcoholics and junkies don't get along.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ExecutiveMendicant:

They did emphasize the alcohol part of his addiction. They didn't say which substance killed him.
RIP.

Alcohol killed him.  He drank himself into at least 3 comas in the last couple years.   The last one he came out of with brain damage and had to learn to walk again.   It's said rehab was always a struggle because apparently alcoholics and junkies don't get along.

Thank you and his entire family for the honesty.

The world needs a little more of that I think.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Condolences to the family.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Condolences.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

To encourage other people to lay off.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Schlange:
RIP
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#46]
RIP
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Rip Matt. I remember the screen name. I feel bad for the family having lost someone so young.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Sorry for your loss.

Ive no doubt his family and friends have been through hell trying to help him.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Rest In Paradise sir

I sent out a colt barrel to ADCO to have shortened and threaded because of all the good reviews I’ve seen here; him contributing to the reason for those good reviews I’m sure. Being only a few years older than me, that’s too young to go in this day and age. Condolences to all affected by this.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Condolences to his family and friends.
Way too young.

I've seen some amazing barrel work by ADCO.
Particularly when a thread protector disappears onto a barrel where you can't even tell the barrel is threaded.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top