Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2012 4:48:21 PM EDT
Anybody read this autobiography yet? Thoughts if so?

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm reading it now.  So far so good...
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#2]
finished it a couple days ago, I really enjoyed it
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 4:43:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm about a third of the way into it and so far it pretty much sucks. The writing is horrible, the stories seem fragmented and unfinished.

I really don't care what his wife thinks about anything nor do I care to hear about his childhood. That's not what I paid for. I know this guy is a genuine American war hero but I hope this book gets better.

I've read probably 15 to 20 books written about the Iraq and Afghan wars from folks that were there and so far this one doesn't measure up.

I know Chris Kyle must have some amazing stories to tell but so far it's not very interesting. Hopefully it gets better, and if it does then I'll come back here and say so. It's starts pretty slow though imho.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I loved the story about the Tunisian fighters who had to cross a river to fight the Americans.  None of them could swim so they brought four beach balls for about twenty of them.  Kyle let them get midway so there was no turning back.  Then he shot the balls one at a time.  The Tunisians would flail to get to another ball, making it difficult for their comrades who were there first.   Then Kyle would pop that ball.  He let them flounder to the third ball and while everyone who survived the first two balls' destruction were fighting the users of the third ball, Kyle would pop that too.   Kyle was nice and gave someone else his rifle for the fourth and final ball.  Four shots and twenty Tunisians drowned.   That's cost effective by anybody's book.  

The book's style is very conversational.  It will never be literary classic.  It is a quick and easy read that can be humorous at times.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I am going to download it on my kindle when I get back from SHOT
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
i enjoyed it. The writing style was a bit strange IMO. The story jumped around. But it was still enjoyable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Just finished it, It was good but def jumped around alot.  It seemed to jsut start and stop at odd stories.  IM sure there is tons he cant put in the book but damn....I did like the part where he basically dogged out richard marcinko.
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Picking up my copy by the weekend. I'll let you guys know what I thought of it when I'm done.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm most of the way through it...and while I like the stories, I don't exactly like the book.  I feel like he spends too much time on his soap box.

I have an opinion as to the reason he wrote this book, but I'll keep it to myself.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm most of the way through it...and while I like the stories, I don't exactly like the book.  I feel like he spends too much time on his soap box.

I have an opinion as to the reason he wrote this book, but I'll keep it to myself.

Like promote his school/business?.  There, I said it
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 4:55:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like promote his school/business?.  There, I said it

That wasn't my first thought, though that works too.

Link Posted: 1/20/2012 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I read it on Kindle.  It was a pretty fast read, but I agree with those who say it jumped around too much.  Plus I had absolutely no interest in what his wife had to say.
I also felt the stories were self-aggrandizing, even though he kept insisting they weren't.  I know, I know...a SEAL who's full of himself?  I'm shocked, shocked I tell you...  
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I finished the whole thing in 2 days. It was really good IMHO.
I liked the writing style.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]
see, i never got the idea he was hyping his self. he  really gave pariase to the marines and army units he worked with, and if another SEAL acted cowardly or an ass he  told it.   I am not a seal fanboi  that is amazed at them, but i sure thought he didnt seem to brag too much, I mean, it is a guy telling stories about his life. so sure you can  get that idea, but how else do you tell your own story without seeming like you are hyping your own self?

story does jump around and i didnt see the point of the wife.  but was very amused that he admitted how he hated water and swimming and hights. lol   toi me that shows a level of honesty  other seals that write books would not admit to,
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the jumping around since I have a short attention span.
i'm half through it and so far I think it's a good read.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#16]
BTW, it is a better read than Elite Sniper which is by some Australian SAS bloke.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#17]
It was no, "Bravo 2-0", but it was interesting enough to fill some free time this weekend.  It's no literary classic, it's just his way of telling his story, and the stories of the guys he knew, who gave all, themselves - even the ones whose names he can't remember.  

Spoiler Alert - Chris Kyle hates politically-driven ROE's

I appreciated Taya's portions of the book.  It gave some context to what was weighing on Chris' mind, while he was trying to do his job.  It shows some of the human side of a SEAL, who establishes his bad-ass-ness by wearing a ball-cap into combat - because that's what bad-asses do.

Kyle is a guy you'd like to go fishing with, because you could do that, and never know what he'd done.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2012 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I met him and got an autographed copy. Speaking to him, he seems like a real down to earth guy...never did I get the "I'm better than you" impression.

I like the book, and find it very easy to read. Yes, it jumps around and I could live without the wife's input throughout the book, but all in all I think it's well written.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I just got through reading it and I really enjoyed it.  I would imagine if he went into detail about every shot he would need a book for every depolyment.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I just finished it, really enjoyed it.  Chris Kyle is a Great American, and a Great Texan!
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I just finished it also. I really liked it. I can see truth in all of what everybody else said. I would definitely recommend it to someone else. I will wait a while and probably read it again.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#22]
If anyone doesnt want their copy PM me.

I have Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-34 to trade.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought it last month when I was in California at the local B&N. I typically have 2-3 dozen books waiting to be read and this one is somewhere in the rotation. But just from the initial once over it looks like it'll be a pretty good read.
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Finally picked up my copy.  Look forward to reading it on my vacation this week.
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Finished it Saturday and really liked it, because 90% of being cool is looking cool.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I am almost finished with it. I have really not cared for it at all. David Bellavia's House to House was much better. So was Lone Survivor. This book just lack tons of detail that could make it into a great book.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top