Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 4/3/2015 12:12:55 PM EDT
Hey, everybody...thought I might post a quick DIY idea.

I was never happy with the options to secure tanks in a truck bed, especially on long hauls.  So, with a few parts from Lowes and ACE, totalling ~$40, I have a pretty secure tank rack.

Parts:
- 1/8" x 2" aluminum
- 5x 2" tie downs
- 1/4-20 machine screws, fender washers, and lock nuts
- 2x 4" rubber stair tread

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice! I don't have a toolbox, so what I did was bolt a beefy piece of angle aluminum the full with of the front bed rail, then thread a bunch of eye-bolts into it at scuba tank spacing. Then got bungees to loop around the tanks. And I painted it with black spray on Bedliner.  Holds 8 tanks securely for when 4 of us would go do 2 shore dives in an afternoon. Unfortunately it got replaced by a tonneau cover, and we don't have any scuba friends in the keys to need 8 tanks. Everybody just freedives, uses a hookah to lobster, or just fishes from boats.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Thats how I usually roll for 6 divers. All gear in the middle of the bed.  Bakflip closed and tailgate locked. No one knows there's $$$$$$$$ of scuba gear in the bed.

Standing up tanks are nice, but people can see 'em and steal 'em.

edit:  before I have my truck, I had a hatchback mazda6, here was how I transported tanks

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I made one out of some scrap wood that I bolted down to my bed rail.  I like your though and seems like that would be a good idea if I wanted to mount them standing up on the other rail.

20150330_135837 by jontammy, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I made one using pool noodles and rope I had laying around. Works great.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I put a 2x4 in the slot in my truck bed liner just behind the wheel wells (near tailgate) and it holds two sets of doubles or four single AL80's from sliding around.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:01:03 AM EDT
[#6]
This is how 99% of people get their tanks and gear to the dive sites where I live

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

You ride in the bucket with all of your gear and pay someone to peddle you to the water?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You ride in the bucket with all of your gear and pay someone to peddle you to the water?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is how 99% of people get their tanks and gear to the dive sites where I live

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/401655_982320884245_157325509_n.jpg?oh=1b4dcaee70cae8be8dba63aff47c7405&oe=5634C225

Not quite...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Not quite...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite...

I like my idea
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I made one using pool noodles and rope I had laying around. Works great.
View Quote

PVC pipe and rope works well too. Collapses small for easy storage when not in use.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:46:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Here's the one I built myself that never gets used anymore...
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top