Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Page / 51
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Imagine my surprise at finding out Kiss Rebreathers are made right here in the great state of Arkansas.

After losing my right shoulder mobility,  it was SM or rebreather.

How fortunate.  . .
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:47:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:
Imagine my surprise at finding out Kiss Rebreathers are made right here in the great state of Arkansas.

After losing my right shoulder mobility,  it was SM or rebreather.

How fortunate.  . .
View Quote

So which are you doing?

Production will be moving to Poland as soon as that facility is finished.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Marie:

So which are you doing?

View Quote

Are they still keeping the facility in the US for service? I know a lot of people that dive those, would suck if they had to ship them overseas
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

Are they still keeping the facility in the US for service? I know a lot of people that dive those, would suck if they had to ship them overseas
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So which are you doing?

Yes, service will stay here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 9:05:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#5]
Well that's good at least!

Found out I'm gonna have to have two semi-major surgeries (one on each foot, 12 week recoveries with some time in between) to remove these bone spurs that have caused me so many problems over the last 2-3 years. They've got to cut the achilles to get to the portion of the heel where they're located and debride the bone however much is necessary, which blows. Going to try to schedule them in Jan-March timeframe so they're wrapped up and I'm rehabbed by next winter hopefully.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Found out I'm gonna have to have two semi-major surgeries (one on each foot, 12 week recoveries with some time in between) to remove these bone spurs that have caused me so many problems over the last 2-3 years. They've got to cut the achilles to get to the portion of the heel where they're located and debride the bone however much is necessary, which blows. Going to try to schedule them in Jan-March timeframe so they're wrapped up and I'm rehabbed by next winter hopefully.
View Quote

Ugh. Sorry to hear that. There goes your driving for a year.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 5:31:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FB41] [#7]

View Quote

@floridahunter07

I had that same surgery in 2011.

Whatever you do, DON'T bear ANY weight on the leg that was cut on!

I accidentally stepped down on my foot getting out of the shower- at 9 weeks into recovery and POW!- there went my Achilles. Had to start all over again.

After you're healed and released to therapy, understand that it AIN'T an option if you want to walk semi-normally. It'll take a full year before your ankle feels strong enough to support finning.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FB41:

@floridahunter07

I had that same surgery in 2011.

Whatever you do, DON'T bear ANY weight on the leg that was cut on!

I accidentally stepped down on my foot getting out of the shower- at 9 weeks into recovery and POW!- there went my Achilles. Had to start all over again.

After you're healed and released to therapy, understand that it AIN'T an option if you want to walk semi-normally. It'll take a full year before your ankle feels strong enough to support finning.
View Quote

Bout what I expected, but not what I wanted to hear.

How long were you non-weight bearing? I'm pretty overweight, but working on it now in order to prepare for this or maybe even escape the necessity of the surgery entirely if I can get the pain to stop. Both feet are gonna have to be done, but I'm not sure how far apart they'll need to be spaced out. If it's going to be a two year long process to do them both then I may not even fuck with it to be honest.

I've already been through 10-12 months of therapy with my elbow (gunshot wound, 2009, shattered my distal humerus and they had to spend 8 hours putting in 17 screws and two titanium plates to fix it) so I know from experience I will do what's required by the doctor or rehab folks. My main concerns are how long it will take me to get back to being able to:

Walk / jog / run
Lift weights (squat, deadlift, etc.)
Frog kick while diving
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Bout what I expected, but not what I wanted to hear.

How long were you non-weight bearing? I'm pretty overweight, but working on it now in order to prepare for this or maybe even escape the necessity of the surgery entirely if I can get the pain to stop. Both feet are gonna have to be done, but I'm not sure how far apart they'll need to be spaced out. If it's going to be a two year long process to do them both then I may not even fuck with it to be honest.

I've already been through 10-12 months of therapy with my elbow (gunshot wound, 2009, shattered my distal humerus and they had to spend 8 hours putting in 17 screws and two titanium plates to fix it) so I know from experience I will do what's required by the doctor or rehab folks. My main concerns are how long it will take me to get back to being able to:

Walk / jog / run
Lift weights (squat, deadlift, etc.)
Frog kick while diving
View Quote

@floridahunter07
No weight bearing- 2 to 3 months
Walk / jog / run- about 9 months to jog or run, 4 to walk
Lift weights (squat, deadlift, etc.) Figure a year
Frog kick while diving about 9 months

Some new surgical techniques have come out that may reduce these times, but it's a good guess.
I recently ruptured my OTHER Achilles and let it heal on its own (no surgery, called "secondary intentions") and the overall healing time was about 9 months in a walking boot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 1:16:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#10]
Well, this fucking sucks. Pura Vida is no longer offering unguided night diving at Blue Heron Bridge. Apparently some asshole wouldn't leave at 10pm and got mouthy with the park ranger, who called the police, and it turned into a huge fiasco. They want $132 to guide two divers for a 45-60 minute dive in a 20 foot deep site I've been to like 4-5 times already... get fucked

Birthday week plan was to drive down next Wednesday, get checked into AirBNB, order groceries etc. and go dive the bridge at night every day we were there, then hit it in the morning on Sunday and do boat dives daily in late morning/early afternoon. Half the reason we decided to risk staying in Riviera Beach in the first fucking place was to dive the bridge at night and have easy access to two shops for fills, the bridge itself, and the marina where Pura Vida keeps their boats...
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 9:37:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bap] [#11]
Never been a fan of Pura Vida.
Cant get fills when 'tank bro' is not there.  Meanwhile there are 2 bimbos looking at their phones.
Can't hunt off their boats either.
There is prolly more to that story about them loosing their permit to night dive at bhb.

Force E in Riviera is the go to for your permission to dive at bhb....go to their shop and sign up.
More Info

HT looks optimum for night dives starting Wednesday.
Have fun
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 11:49:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#12]
I just got off the phone with them. The guy was helpful and told me permits will still be free, so just call on Monday to confirm whether they'll give out permits on Wed and come in and get them when we arrive Wednesday morning. Thursday and Friday should be good to go though. Saturday looks like a morning dive would be in order, might skip that if we're doing boat dives that day too after being out late the night before.

Then Sunday AM we'll hit it in the daytime and scoot the 3.5 hours home.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Pulled out the OC gear on Saturday for the first time since Dec in FL. I dived my 50s. Did two dives with WI friends,. The guy with the big camera rig came out again. Got some nice photos.

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice!

I cannot waaaaaait to leave for vacation next week. People have been driving me bonkers with both my full-time job and my part-time job and I can't wait to turn my damn phone off
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice!

I cannot waaaaaait to leave for vacation next week. People have been driving me bonkers with both my full-time job and my part-time job and I can't wait to turn my damn phone off
View Quote

I can’t tell you how nice it is to dive 50s for shallow stuff! I’ve got two pairs.

Was planning on diving at the local quarry this weekend but I’ve got some car issues so won’t be going.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#16]

So which are you doing?

View Quote

Rebreather. It'll be a year or two,  I'm in work sponsored school for 6 more months,  so my income is limited.  But then we're buying a couple.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:

Rebreather. It'll be a year or two,  I'm in work sponsored school for 6 more months,  so my income is limited.  But then we're buying a couple.
View Quote

@Dan_Gray

Which rebreather?
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Palm Beach was fun last week. Didn't realize DGX closed at 4:30pm every day instead of 5:00pm, so my plan of unloading the car at the rental house and then making a mad dash for Pompano didn't work out on Wednesday... thus I ended up spending 2 1/2 hours in rush hour traffic after the boat dives we did on Thursday (my birthday) to pick up my Divesoft Solo analyzer, tank silencer, and a few other odds and ends I needed.

Only downside other than the aforementioned rescheduled pickup, was Pura Vida canceling the 1:30pm boat we were booked on for Saturday - however, the viz changed drastically between Friday and Saturday morning, from my understanding. When we dove the Ana Cecilia on Friday, it was probably 40-50 feet... Saturday morning's 8am boat went out and found 10ft or less on the same sites.

Got in 4 boat dives on deeper wrecks/reefs (70 to 95fsw), a trip to the beach on Saturday in lieu of the boat dives (tried snorkeling Ocean Reef Park, but tides were wrong and beach visibility was <2ft), then the Friday night dive and a Sunday morning day dive at Blue Heron Bridge. Viz at the bridge was 5-15 feet, depending on location within the swim area and night vs. day.

I'm wanting to go back down there and do a tech dive with them at Hole in The Wall or The Playground, though. They charter tech trips at $110 per diver, which is the same price they charge for a 2-tank rec dive trip.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like a great trip!

Yes, tech charters here on the Great Lakes are often $160-$200 depending on the boat. They often so a shallow (60-70ft) wreck on the way back after the tech dive, unless the tech dive is long and/or pretty deep (deeper than 170ft or so).
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 6:58:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Not sure when I’m going to be diving the WI mine. Trying to coordinate schedules with buddies. Can’t wait to get out there!
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 9:59:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#21]
Starting to loosely plan our trip to Catalina or the Channel Islands, one of the two (or maybe both - fuck it, you only live once).

I went to Buford twice in the last week - last night was with Pasco SO's dive team and my buddy who works for them. Did a short deco dive (total run time 50 minutes) to 137 feet and then after it got dark, he and I did a short dive together to around 119 feet. I panicked because I thought I'd dropped my 8000 lumen Big Blue light, but apparently it was bungeed into my armpit and all five of my personal sweeps with my hands didn't catch that fact until after we searched for it for about 15 minutes... oops

That place is fucking D A R K at night, with no artificial lighting on the surface, and a cell phone flashlight to walk back to the truck. I don't get uncomfortable because water and darkness exist in the same place, but having my back to the majority of the spring and swamp while I was the only one in the water, couldn't see anything, and was splashing around trying to unclip my tanks and my gear to set it on the deck before I climbed out was surprisingly anxiety-inducing...

I'm wanting to start practicing for full cave, and maybe take it in late winter or early spring. I was considering trimix but I think full cave would open more doors for me right now and I can wait to do mix until I get a rebreather in the future at some point.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Trimix is so expensive that waiting until you have the CCR makes sense.

I’m still trying to get my brain around me getting full cave before you!
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Trimix is so expensive that waiting until you have the CCR makes sense.

I’m still trying to get my brain around me getting full cave before you!
View Quote

With your “I’m never doing that” ass
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#24]

With your “I’m never doing that” ass
View Quote

Haha. Yep.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#25]
My buddy went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Sidewinder yesterday or the day before... got me jealous A F
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#26]
My buddy went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Sidewinder yesterday or the day before... got me jealous A F
View Quote

Did he buy used?
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Did he buy used?
View Quote

Pre-owned, but never actually used. I think he ended up getting like $9k worth of stuff for about $5800 (it came with extras). Looking at doing the training with ProTec in March, I think.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 9:06:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#28]

Pre-owned, but never actually used. I think he ended up getting like $9k worth of stuff for about $5800 (it came with extras). Looking at doing the training with ProTec in March, I think.
View Quote

I see lots of used ones on FB groups and SB. That’s a great deal.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#29]

I see lots of used ones on FB groups and SB. That’s a great deal.
View Quote

He better use it a lot, considering he sold his iRay thermal optic and MAWL (IR laser) off one of his AR's to pay for it. lol

That said, any hope of me going that route (or getting full cave) is probably pushed back, considering I just effectively bought $11k worth of dirt next to my house. Oh well, at least now there's only a 50% chance I get neighbors. Probably less than 50%, actually, considering the other lot on the opposite side of us is in a flood zone and would require at least 15-20 truckloads of fill dirt to bring it out of the flood zoning and no builder wants to sink that money into a spec house.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#31]

He better use it a lot, considering he sold his iRay thermal optic and MAWL (IR laser) off one of his AR's to pay for it. lol

That said, any hope of me going that route (or getting full cave) is probably pushed back, considering I just effectively bought $11k worth of dirt next to my house. Oh well, at least now there's only a 50% chance I get neighbors. Probably less than 50%, actually, considering the other lot on the opposite side of us is in a flood zone and would require at least 15-20 truckloads of fill dirt to bring it out of the flood zoning and no builder wants to sink that money into a spec house.
View Quote

You bought dirt?
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 12:37:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#32]

You bought dirt?
View Quote

Vacant lot next door went up for sale - I'm buying it so I can build one of these in the next few years to hold all my extra stuff (plus I want space to build a coop and have chickens):

Sucks for the guy who owns it, I'm fairly certain he called my old brokerage looking for me and they just gave him to whoever had floor time that day rather than doing what I'd consider the "right thing" to do, and giving him my cell number. Now he's paying $1100 in commission and he could've just sold it to me directly without listing it had he kept my phone number.

Also, did a nice dive at Buford the other day. Max depth 141 feet, run time 55 minutes, I think I had like 6 minutes of deco but added a few additional minutes at 10 feet because I was nearly to the point of shivering by the time I got to my 20 foot deco stop (very rare, even in a 3mm suit).
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Vacant lot next door went up for sale - I'm buying it so I can build one of these in the next few years to hold all my extra stuff (plus I want space to build a coop and have chickens):

https://garagebuildings.com/cdn/uploads//2020/01/24x26x9-Vertical-Double-Garage.jpg

Sucks for the guy who owns it, I'm fairly certain he called my old brokerage looking for me and they just gave him to whoever had floor time that day rather than doing what I'd consider the "right thing" to do, and giving him my cell number. Now he's paying $1100 in commission and he could've just sold it to me directly without listing it had he kept my phone number.

Also, did a nice dive at Buford the other day. Max depth 141 feet, run time 55 minutes, I think I had like 6 minutes of deco but added a few additional minutes at 10 feet because I was nearly to the point of shivering by the time I got to my 20 foot deco stop (very rare, even in a 3mm suit).
View Quote

72 water temp?

I’m kind of glad I cancelled for cave country at Christmas with Peacock being out of commission due to storm damage.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:04:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#34]

72 water temp?

I’m kind of glad I cancelled for cave country at Christmas with Peacock being out of commission due to storm damage.
View Quote

Yep.

You can still do Orange Grove, but... so is everyone else, I'd bet.

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Yep.

You can still do Orange Grove, but... so is everyone else, I'd bet.

View Quote

P1 is my favorite for ease of cave entry.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#36]

P1 is my favorite for ease of cave entry.
View Quote

I have a solution:

1. Giant leap entry off the limestone at OG
2. Swim the Grand Traverse
3. Exit at P1 and have an adventure on the way back through the forest

I'm hoping I can either go to Ginnie or Buford again this week. Monday or Wednesday. Would kind of prefer Ginnie on Wednesday as I am absolutely beat right now
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#37]

@Dan_Gray

Which rebreather?
View Quote

Don't know yet.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Bump so it doesn’t end up in the archives.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
I toggled it to never archive.
View Quote

Great, thank you!
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Have my vacation time approved for FL cave country in December. I’ll have the week after Christmas like I’ve wanted all along.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 2:22:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Got my new drysuit on Friday last week, everything went well on those two dives... so I went up to Ginnie tonight and was absolutely HUMBLED in short order. I think they should've charged me double just based on how heinous my diving was in a primarily head-down angle of attack... back to the open water to practice more.

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 2:46:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:44:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#47]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

It’s freaking 70 degrees year-round!  I can handle that 24/7 wet.  Why dive dry in FL?

I know people who do it, mainly for redundant lift, I think.  
View Quote

I have a 3mm and 5mm suit, not a fan of the 5mm as it's super stiff and not easy to get into. Do you want to dive a 3mm for 60-120 minutes in 70 degree water with deco stops of 15-20 minutes at the end? Some prop wash when scootering also makes it feel colder. Also, the water was 70 degrees last night and the air was 39 when I got out. Fuck doing that in a wetsuit.

Also, going to California in about 3 weeks where the water will be 55ish degrees, and Lake Mead (57-60 degrees) which 64 degrees and far too cold after 45 minutes in that 5mm suit I mentioned before, last May.

Also, redundant lift. Plus I'm tired of taking 2 pairs of clothes, 2 towels, etc. with me when diving, and getting into wet wetsuits and boots in the winter when it's 30-40 degrees outside and they've been hanging up all night outside to dry
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 5:31:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#48]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#49]
That would be nice to have separate pants. First dive in my drysuit, I had to shit like nobody's business as soon as I got out of the water and I was nervous I wouldn't get it off and be able to make it to the bathroom in time... not like that hasn't happened in a wetsuit but at least you're not wearing dry clothing underneath one of those
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Remember my friend that died at Cow last year?

Here’s the report.

https://nsscds.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Cow-Springs-2023.1.7.pdf
Page / 51
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top