Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Took a break from modern stuff and rolled to BHB today with my lp45 twins, Healthways SCUBA,  and a 3mm cammo wetsuit and my new fav $16 mask.
As usual, no bcd.  I swag'ed it figuring I use 4lbs of lead with the 3mm normally, so I used no lead.
I could tell right away I was a bit light, but still doable. I think 1.5 or 2 lbs would be ideal for shallow stuff.  If deeper, no lead needed.

Met my daughter there before and after a training dive she was on.
Life is good.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Spent a week in Cozumel exclusively diving my Argonaut Kraken, except for the day diving caverns in Tulum with a friend where I was in my sidemount gear.

It was great, and I highly enjoyed it. I learned a lot over the course of the week. I have a DIN Kraken because all of my tanks are DIN. It was only an issue when they didn't have DIN tanks available, in which case using an adapter sucked. I could definitely feel the can between my shoulder blades whenever I had to use an adapter. It also made it a little difficult to get the can in the proper position, and I could certainly feel a change in WOB, even with the can just a touch higher. I wasn't going to make an issue out of the DM's touching my gear, but I had to readjust my wing every dive before we splashed to make sure it was in the right position. The Argonaut plate is GREAT for this because you can hike it up to where the cutout is just under the can and it works every time. With an Oxycheq 18lb wing the whole thing is very streamlined.

I also had to change my trim for the best WOB. I'm a cave diver, and it feels VERY foreign to be in any position other than horizontal. However, for best WOB I had to be slightly head up, so I ended up having to dedicate a little more mental acuity to it than I would have liked.

Overall it was tons of fun. I paired it with an old Conshelf 1085 as an octo, and aside from wanting to make some hose routing changes, the whole setup worked well all week.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a good time was had JohnnyC!
No matter what route one goes with double hose regs, one thing is for sure, you really need to want to do it, as in go out of your way lol.

Definitely horizontal is not DH friendly.  At this point my position doesn't bother me anymore.  Although, breathing technique is different.  In what I do, its a mix anyway.

I had thought about getting the Phoenix for my DAAM so I would be charter friendly with singles.  If I used my fatty Faber hp117/lp95's, that would allow for the longer length to reach further toward my back. Would be close with lp72's I have, if not touching.

Don't be shy, post pics of it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
I got the wing and backplate. I still haven’t assembled and used mine yet.
View Quote
The DH backplate? It's different to put together, I'm used to a regular backplate so the crossed shoulder thing was a little goofy to me. That being said, the first time I checked out my Kraken in the pool with a normal BP/W it was instantly clear that it was not optimal. As soon as my hands dried off I ordered the VDH DH backplate and haven't looked back. It's definitely the way to dive it.

Follow the instructions when putting it together and it makes it much easier. I like the Oxycheq #18lb because it's so streamlined and for warm water diving it's more than enough lift. I hear lots of good things about the VDH wings too, but haven't had a chance to dive one so I can't fully make a solid recommendation. That being said, Bryan makes good stuff and I have no doubt that the wings he sources are excellent.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bap:
Took a break from modern stuff and rolled to BHB today with my lp45 twins, Healthways SCUBA,  and a 3mm cammo wetsuit and my new fav $16 mask.
As usual, no bcd.  I swag'ed it figuring I use 4lbs of lead with the 3mm normally, so I used no lead.
I could tell right away I was a bit light, but still doable. I think 1.5 or 2 lbs would be ideal for shallow stuff.  If deeper, no lead needed.
View Quote
Went again this morning.  4 lbs is the sweet spot.   Beautiful dive.  Had the East side to myself for an hour.  Vis was 30ish. No Eagle rays , but there were an unusual amount of large cuda.   Curious large cuda.
I need to start video recording again.  Of course, won't see crap when I have a camera in my hand.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't paid for a fill on the little twins since I have owned them.
Topping off
Heading South tomorrow, not sure where though.

Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Today's loot

Link Posted: 10/28/2018 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Passing thru what I named Eagle Ray Bay...none seen today

New to me Salvimar Noah apnea mask.  Crazy low volume.  Never used one before.  Looking at it, one would think it would have limited vision, but my eye lashes damn near scrap the lense... see just fine

Usual cast of characters ( I llke to think they are waiting for me)

Link Posted: 12/28/2018 4:52:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bap] [#12]
New project.
Holy Grail tanks for me.
Triple US Divers (Rene)
10/56 born dates
I believe they are 44's, maybe 33's.  Still need to confirm.
Note the lead burst plugs, lol.

These will complement the Mistral of the same period (56-59)

Link Posted: 12/30/2018 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#13]
They're 44's

1955 US Divers catalogue
"very comfortable" lol

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:53:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bap] [#14]
Broke down the triples a few days ago.  Had to use a cut-off tool to remove rusted bolts against the bands...very nervously.  No damage. Yay!

I will be making a harness that attaches directly to the bands similar to the original.

Focusing on the priority and the iffiest part, the tanks.  I expected rust since they are 63 years old and their last service was in '74.  The 2 outboard tanks are the worse.  I thought the center one would be being it is in direct route and closest to the inlet.
I have tumbled all of them with a diy improvised tumbler first with gravel and then alum oxide.  Large stuff is gone but still rusty.  Will be doing an acid wash this weekend.
I bought a CHICOMfrieght inspection camera to inspect and measure progress and has worked out well.  I will be making a gauge that will fit in front of the camera so I can measure gouges and pits.   Not seeing deep pits yet though.
I have owned old tanks with 1/2" NGT  valves, but never worked with the same tank.  What a PITA.

I really hope to pull this off.  Somewhat OK if the tanks dont make the cut.
I am only into them for $145.   The manifold and bands are worth a bit more (of course to a nut that really wants them).
The other upside to this is, I will save considerable $$ on my next colonoscopy
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:56:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bap] [#15]
Opted for a less severe cleaner, evapo rust.
Worked well enough.  I had to hit two tanks with a alum oxide tumble to detail the walls (after final prep and dry no less).
There are spots on the walls, but too slight to worry me.  Barely measurable using the gauge I made.
Nothing more I can do, just need to get them in to hydro shop next week.

Old vs newer std threads below
1/2" NGT vs 3/4 NPS.  Old threads used dope or teflon tape to seal (no oring)
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Goes to show you, 3AA is 3AA, is 3AA.  No matter how old.  As long as they are not pitted and endured a life of cave fills.
63 years old.
Now to tackle the manifold and make a harness.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Harness is ready.
Have parts for manifold now.  Should have it all assembled tomorrow.
Made the tank to reg washer as these are pretty unusual.  Sharpened .357 case makes a perfect punch

Link Posted: 2/10/2019 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Took a bit longer than planned.  Band bolts too short, multiple leaks, some minor harness issues.

Got 3 hours in this weekend.  I was waaaay off on weight needed.  SWAG'ed it and figured these would be close to lp72s doubled up.  No.  These are crazy light.  Upside is these will be easy to dive without wetsuit in the warmer months here (no bc too of course ).

Bad bigfoot quality pic, video snapshot.  I dive solo, and this was no exception.  I saw a group I follow on FB while under.  Sure enough I was on his video.  Didn't know I was being shot at the time.

Matched to the Mistral of the same time period.  Crotch strap will be replaced when I have more of the black and yellow webbing.

Link Posted: 2/10/2019 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#19]
@bap

Neat you got some video of yourself.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:17:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#20]

This thread just keeps getting better ! ! !
Love them triples !  !  ! With the vintage scrunch your crotch harness.  And the J- valve rod !

I’d forgotten about those rods for the J-valve. My old Swimmaster DH had one each of HP and LP ports. So, I was able to use an SPG. I got a multi-port adapter for the LP port, so was able to attach a safe second stage, and a BC inflator hose. Since I had an SPG and would usually surface with ~1,000 psi remaining I would dive without a rod attached to the J-valve.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 6:07:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bap] [#21]
@tigerforce I would love to find a Trieste.  If you have any old pics, post them up!.

First dive I filled it to 2k (107cf).
2nd dive 1550 (83cf).  I figured/planned I would get to use the reserve on the 2nd dive, but no.  I cut the dive short due to vis and I was hangry.  I know it works as I tested it before I buttoned the manifold up and then I forgot to open it when filling (a must!).  A definite audible swoosh of air makes its way to the reserve tank.
I chuckled at first when I saw there were two options for the reserve in the original catalog, 500 and 700 psi.  But, all things considered, the triples or larger doubles were marketed as deeper diving/duration tools, so a little more reserve is a nice option.
They were stamped so, along with the model and date of mfg.

I think I will move the bottom band up 1" as it (waist belt) rides too close to the weight belt.
One thing leads to another ($$) and I am ordering a rubber weight belt with wire loop (like the originals).  Rubber should be more forgiving and I can lower them on my hip comfortably.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#22]
700PSI

I got a fill to 4100 PSI once. We ended up doing a 2500 foot penetration and I still returned with 2600 PSI at which point my tanks were considered full.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 9:16:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#23]
Remember seeing quite a few of those skinny looking valves and manifolds back in the 70s. They seemed sturdy. Interesting about the 500 and 700 psi J-valve options.

Don’t think I have pics of the Trieste-II-J, at least up close. I might have one of me U/W with it- will look around. The HP and LP ports on it were on the side opposite the J-valve, one above the other.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Decided against the original wire loop (too easy to undue) and picked up a Marseillaise Rubber Weight Belt.  All I got is wow! What a difference.  Very comfortable in and out of water.  Nuffin worse than a web belt digging into your hip bone when on foot (sometimes I have to walk a ways).
I will be using this belt with modern equipment as well.  Have an ABS plate that this will work great with.

Got in a 90 min dive on Friday.  Beach conditions not optimal this weekend.

Link Posted: 5/20/2019 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I think I found my next project.

Rig the DAAM as a chest mount like the man himself..

I have everything but 1st stage plug and harness. VDH has plug.  Harness is easy enough.  I think mated to a mkv would look the part.

I found a set of twin 38's (ww11 aircraft oxygen tanks with bushings to accommodate 1/2 ngt valves).  Think I will pass though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#26]
More free time now post move.

Took the triples out this morning.   First time without a wetsuit so SWAG'ed weight needed at 4 lbs.  No, no lead needed, maybe a 1 lb.  My BFK will suffice next time.

My vintage snorkel is toast, so used a compact J.  Not long enough to plow through surf (light this AM).  The old ones were long for a reason.

I had mentioned earlier that these are Rene tanks.  For those that are not familiar with him starting US Divers click below for a read.   Interesting character with some vision.  Cousteau capitalized on his problems and here we are.

Rene Bussoz
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Cool ! Enjoyed reading that biography, and a few others at that website.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 3:33:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bap] [#28]
I received the parts about a week ago and finally got around to putting it together yesterday.
Took it out today in some pretty green surf off of Hibiscus, and will call this a success at this point.

This is not plug and play like advertised.  Part of the problem lies in the higher, consistent IP.  I mounted it to the Scubapro MKVI which is around 125 psi.  I have an early Conshelf that would be a better candidate as one can dial it in to whatever you want, with a quarter no less.
I knew relocating the can would come with some issues, mainly free flowing.  I have overcome most of the problem with a longer LP seat spring that I pulled from a destroyed Beuchat's balance chamber.

Current mounting will not work as there is too much play.  But, with the play I was able to hold it different locations to determine its best location.

I will say, I am able to sip air through it though.  These are not known for this for sure lol.  I can see why the Cousteau peeps mounted as such.  AFAIK, they used Spirotechniques, not a DAAM.

Required parts on the left, 1st stage on the right.

Fitted

Reversed one-way valves because the can is flipped.

Mounted.  I was able to mount the DGX wing to the twin 45's simply by adding a bolt hole grommet to the wing's center strap.  I am unable to dive these negative tanks sans wetsuit for bouyancy compensation (dive with a skin in the summer).

Feeling artsy today

From one of the Cousteau documentaries.   The can is hidden in the bracket covering the diver's chest.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Second round of testing.

Overhauled the Conshelf and set to IP to 100 psi

Typically you will see scratch marks on the diaphragm seat from improper removal.  This one was clean.

One of the few spots that have Staghorn Coral in SoFlo.  Can't help myself to stop and admire whenever I find it.

I prolly should have set the IP to 80+ as it is a bit still hot.  I used my Dive Rite ABS plate and DGX wing combo along with the lp76.
Will make more adjustments and keep testing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 4:06:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bap] [#30]
Finally got out today post Dorian (well tropical storm).  Visibility improving.  10' at best, 15-20 you can make out structure.  Beats going to work any day.
Don't know why I picked this one up as I collect whole conchs, but this was a fresh lunch for a nurse shark I suspect.

I picked up a Dacor Diving Lung last week.  I had thought it was the R4 model and wanted to try one if the price is right.  Dacor's are risky as no one is making repro diaphragms for them.
This one is in fair shape, but turns out to be a late production R3.  Sadly, the main diaphragm is toast .
Interesting design in that it used a dual diaphragm. The exhaust diaphragm acted in conjunction with the primary and pressed against the main like a piston.  All of this to skirt the USD/Cousteau patent.  It also had a user operated venturi.  I believe this is the first production regulator to have this.  Funny that it was offered for the opposite reason they are intended -- the logic was, the harder it breathed, the less air you will use.
These were affectionately referred to as 'dial a death' regulators.
I can modify one from a USD or Healthways diaphragm to work, but that would mean making a new lever and eliminating the exhaust diaphragm and using a duckbill exhaust.  I will wait it out until I find one.

Interwebz Barn  fresh

from 1962 catalog

tinnerman clamps

Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#31]
No joy with the Dacor yet.

Slipped out New Years Day for a morning dive..
Couldn't resist after recon..

Took the triples with a new to me Scubapro Jet Snorkle.  Off tomorrow doing boat dives.

Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, 6'-8' seas off of Boca this morning.  Rough ride but still worth it. Lots of divers hurling.
Doesn't look that bad here

Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#33]
6’-8’? No way!
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I love retro... except in dive equipment and parachutes...

that said - this thread delivers
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#35]
the day I turned in my double hose royal aqua master for a con shelf was a happy day. I could actually do some technical diving without getting a mouthful of water... Do you work on single hose regulators? I has an old Poseidon you can have for free...
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By heron163:
the day I turned in my double hose royal aqua master for a con shelf was a happy day. I could actually do some technical diving without getting a mouthful of water... Do you work on single hose regulators? I has an old Poseidon you can have for free...
View Quote
I work on all regs.  Interested in your offer! Will cover the hassle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Marie:
6’-8’? No way!
View Quote
No BS.  Boat left 9am.  It was a bumpy 5' then, but quicly got worse.  It took a while to get picked up.
Dm has some video..lemme see if I can get it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#38]
IM me your address and its on the way!
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By heron163:
IM me your address and its on the way!
View Quote
Done, thank you!
Will post the recovery.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:29:14 AM EDT
[#40]
don't see an IM yet - lemme know yo!
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Received it..looks great!
Should be a good project.
Ordered parts for the Healthways for service.

Modern diving today..2 reef drifts off Boca.
Back to work tomorrow

Link Posted: 8/20/2020 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Scored a set of twin 38's
This is a hard one to find.   Up there with the tripples I have.

These were assembled when SCUBA tanks were not produced.  The tanks used at the time were surplus mil O2 tanks from aircraft.  
One of these is from 1948, the other 1953.  Bushings were used to adapt the tank to a SCUBA valve (1/2"NGT).  The pack is a metal Sportsways.  The single stage is a Healthways.  No manifold, but has cheater/suicide bar.

$35

The Mistral will match this perfect, if I can get is past hydro

Link Posted: 8/20/2020 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Dang, you like some old stuff!
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Cover from PS of the era. DIY was the way.

Havent torn into the 38's yet.

Marie..I like new too ...picked up an AL Legend Elite for my kid a week ago.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Finally getting things sorted at the new place.

Time to look at the 38's.  Dismantled them today.

I struggled for a bit getting the bushings off.  Keep in mind these are pipe threads, so tight means no leaky.  I then  remembered I have a large set of sockets which made it a whole lot easier.

and a drum roll as to how they look inside.  Pretty rusty lol.   I have brought back similar with an acid tumble, so that is next.
Still worth a shot to see if I get them to hydro considering what they are.

I have an endoscope for a phone, but for an older phone.  You get the idea...bad.

Also, the diaphragm on the Healthways Scubair is toast.  Not a priority now, but down the road.

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:25:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bap] [#46]
Update on the Dacor DH.  It's alive.

A guy on SB started making these from a mold he 3d printed.  Sounds sketchy, but I am in.  Very difficult to find ANY of the 3 diaphragms for these [main, exhaust, and HP diaphragm].
Received it last week and actually I am impressed.  Now I can proceed with overhaul as I gave up on the project pending finding a diaphragm.

More problems.  The LP seat has hardened and is a rounded shape and would be odd to recreate.  So why not modernize this SOB?  I'm in again.  I flattened the dimple on the orifice lever and drilled a hole.  I then turned a seat holder with a press fit post to install on this lever.  More problems you say?  The lp orifice had to be turned down/shorted a bit as the increased depth of the new retained interfered with installation.  Ok, done, right?

No.  The new diaphragm is domed, not pleated like the original.  The original diaphragm was virtually flush with mounting surface.  There is no way to bend the demand lever enough to reach the bottom of the new diaphragm plate.  So....I flattened and drilled a hole in the demand lever, added a small dog-leg bend, and a SS screw with jam nuts to make this happen.  It works.  Also, it's now adjustable.  I don't consider this modification permanent though.  I will have to rethink the lever mech.  The spring tension of lever set was wicked.  I cut half a coil and there is a noticeable difference now.

Can we put this back together now?  No.  The huge [1/8" x 2.5"] HP diaphragm has a crazy hard set to it and is cracking.  Hmm.   I find some modern EPDM sheet and fashion a new one.  It's not easy cutting this stuff, and still have it look good.  I wound up making a set of tools to actually cut this stuff on my drill press.
Bam, looks good.

Being there likely no chance of getting a matched exhaust diaphragm, I robbed a duckbill exhaust from the DAAM and installed it on the Dacor.  Also, I borrowed the hose assembly from the Mistral to do a test.

Assembled and tested.  Hmm, IP seems a bit low just judging by the swoosh one should hear.   But Ok to splash with it for now.

So, today I went to Royal Springs [my test pool].  Besides the normal group of side-holes silting up the place, still nice to get out of the compound.
It's breathes a bit stiff, so an IP increase via a captive shim will be needed.  I also suspect adverse leverage of the modified demand lever and/or the lever mech spring is still too stiff.

Other wise, it runs!

New diaphragm, modded LP seat, and freshly cut HP diaphragm

LP orifice fix

Sketchy demand lever mod

Post dive at Royal.  The yellow looks odd on this to me.  I'm thinking grey hose with black mouthpiece

The twin 38s are next to be cleaned.  Just did my lp76.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#47]
@bap

How was Royal? I have a day when I might not have a buddy and I was considering Royal as solo diving is allowed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Marie...Royal has hood flow now.   As you prolly know, its heavily used for training like I saw today.
But with good flow, it clears fast.  Fast like a day though lol.  Best to do Royal early with this in mind.
There is a small platform at the bottom to mitigate training silt.  However I cant tell you jow many times I have seen someone faceplanted in the muck beside it.
Iddy biddy cavern too.
Living pretty close to it, and it being the only place that allows solo, its my go to.
Solo is allowed at Little River, but that is pretty confined and more of a swimming hole to me.

If I am available, I could meet you there...hell even let you DH lol.

No worries either way.

If you have time, the best place to eat in the area is The Gathering in Branford.  I'm there at least once a week.

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#49]
@bap

How far are you from Troy? Buddies required but I hear it’s much better than Royal?
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm close to both.  Troy is a tad bigger, and a bit deeper.  You could even do both in a short time depending on what amount of time you want to spend on each.
Page / 3
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top