Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the great write-up. I have yet to see one at the AD in Nashville but it’s been a while since I’ve been there, need to swing by.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 6:37:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 5thLegion:
Thanks for the great write-up. I have yet to see one at the AD in Nashville but it’s been a while since I’ve been there, need to swing by.
View Quote

Same AD where I got mine, Derrick is the man.

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Got some sunlight pics of wear.

If it’s like other titanium watches I’ve had, easily brush able back to mint.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Solid honest wear, scuffs and swirls. 👍
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

Same AD where I got mine, Derrick is the man.

View Quote

I will ask for him thanks brother.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:30:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#7]

Brushable you say.

With what and how aggressively?
The rest of the band looks like this as well because I’m not treating it gently.

Don’t really care but….I’m kinda curious.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Duke117:

Brushable you say.

With what and how aggressively?
The rest of the band looks like this as well because I’m not treating it gently.
Don’t really care but….I’m kinda curious.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562102/IMG_9173_jpeg-2914062.JPG
View Quote

On titanium I've used Grey scotchbrite pads very lightly.

I've also have garryflex blocks which I've used on both 904/316 and titanium.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

On titanium I've used Grey scotchbrite pads very lightly.

I've also have garryflex blocks which I've used on both 904/316 and titanium.
View Quote

Hmm.. any video tutorials that you are aware of?

I'm a big dumb animal who tends to apply WAY to much pressure to everything I touch..

Want a bolt over torqued, I'm your guy.
Stripped out threads.. no problem.

Hoping for a bit of guidance before I start and make it worse.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:48:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#10]
I’m leaving mine alone.

Let it get dolled up when it’s serviced.

I’ll dig for a video or tutorial for you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Does the titanium reduce the chances of dermatitis under your bracelet? Or does the shape of the bracelet play a role as well?

My Sea-Dweller sits in the safe for half the year because I get a rash from sweating in the humidity here.

It’s easier to grab the Panerai which is already on a NATO strap. No rash.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:35:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#12]
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
Does the titanium reduce the chances of dermatitis under your bracelet? Or does the shape of the bracelet play a role as well?

My Sea-Dweller sits in the safe for half the year because I get a rash from sweating in the humidity here.

View Quote

The internet says YES...

Attachment Attached File

I’ve all but retired ( or sold) my subs and adopted the 39 as my daily watch.
For me, the reduction in weight ( and the properties mentioned above) provides quite a bit less irritation when it’s hot/sweaty and my wrist swells.
Additionally, the stock bracelet is probably one of the best designed non-aftermarket ones I’ve tried.

Only downside is that it is NOT a rolex and your watch snob friends will not be impressed that you spent 5k instead of 10k.
In my opinion, it’s a superior watch in just about every respect compared to a modern sub.

As stated before, it's what the sub USED to be ( tool watch) rather than what it's become (jewelry).
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#13]

The internet says YES...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562102/IMG_3010_jpeg-2914581.JPG

For me, the reduction in weight ( and the properties mentioned above) provides quite a bit less irritation when it’s hot/sweaty and my wrist swells.
Additionally, the stock bracelet is probably one of the best designed non-aftermarket ones I’ve tried.

Only downside is that it is NOT a rolex and your watch snob friends will not be impressed that you spent 5k instead of 10k.
In my opinion, it’s a superior watch in just about every respect compared to a modern sub.

As stated before, it's what the sub USED to be ( tool watch) rather than what it's become (jewelry).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The internet says YES...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562102/IMG_3010_jpeg-2914581.JPG

I’ve had this occur before many times, my marathon TSAR would cause my wrist to breakout as would an Omega SMP 2254.50. Have had no issue at all with the P39. In fact the bracelet is a slightly tweaked Oyster, the spacing between links vents very well and the design of the bracelet is fantastic. It is not glidelock in terms of adjustable design but it’s pretty damn close.

I’m also with Duke - sold all my Subs since getting the P39. Still have a few in the family that will come down to me / my kids but the 16610/124060 etc are gone.

It’s that good.

(If you want the best tool diver out) it’s not going to replace your Sub/Sea Dweller if you like the sparkle/dazzle that comes with them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Yes. As a kid I wore a watch 24/7, I eventually started to develop a rash under the caseback. I quit wearing watches for years. I got back into watches with a titanium Bertucci field watch just to see if I could handle titanium. It worked, no rash! I started wearing watches again and eventually tried a SKX. It would work as long as I would only wear it during the day. To this day, I wear a watch every day, but I don't wear one to sleep. My rash has been fine, but I can say that titanium works great for those of us with sensitive skin
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I wore a seamaster steel bracelet that’s almost soap rounded steel 24/7 for a decade. No real issue.

Switched to the Pelagos (42) 3 months ago and still no issue. I will say it feels sharper than my old one but no issues.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Well damn, I tried one on yesterday near Atlanta. I almost bought it. Bracelet is excellent. Size is perfect. The dial is simple and clean - the sunburst is subtle. The red lettering is a nice detail nod to heritage. I have to agree…this is the Tudor sub.
Why didn’t I pull the trigger? Well honestly the weight (or lack of) caught me a little off guard. I was wearing my 58 as usual and the Pelagos was significantly lighter- as one would expect, but I was surprised by how light it was. I have not worn a titanium piece in 20 years or so. I just wanted to be sure before I dropped $5k but honestly that is a steal for a watch that is beats a Sub in many aspects.
Bottom line - it’s awesome, and will very likely be my summer daily next year.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:26:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#17]
Originally Posted By 5thLegion:
Well damn, I tried one on yesterday near Atlanta. I almost bought it. Bracelet is excellent. Size is perfect. The dial is simple and clean - the sunburst is subtle. The red lettering is a nice detail nod to heritage. I have to agree…this is the Tudor sub.
Why didn’t I pull the trigger? Well honestly the weight (or lack of) caught me a little off guard. I was wearing my 58 as usual and the Pelagos was significantly lighter- as one would expect, but I was surprised by how light it was. I have not worn a titanium piece in 20 years or so. I just wanted to be sure before I dropped $5k but honestly that is a steal for a watch that is beats a Sub in many aspects.
Bottom line - it’s awesome, and will very likely be my summer daily next year.
View Quote

The weight reduction, for me, is one of the strongest selling points.
After you wear it a couple days, the 58 will feel like a brick on your wrist and probably be taken out of the rotation.

I really liked my subs but at this point I'm not sure I would go back. Maybe for a titanium sub but even then, what am I really getting for an extra 5k?

Titanium is the shit, regret selling my Brieitling aerospace years ago.

The ONLY exception I will make is if Omega gets off it's ass and releases a new 165.024 with a modern movement.
It's a watch I must have and don't care if it's made out of ar500 steel and weighs 3 pounds, I'm a buyer on day one.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#18]
@Duke117
@Finslayer83
@x_red_beard_x
@steviesterno16

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Glad to hear that titanium bracelets have made a difference for you.

I’ve thought back some more on my own experience with watch bracelets. My first “nice” watch is a TAG Heuer LINK chronograph, with a very rounded/smooth bracelet and it was very comfortable to wear. It would get tight in the heat and humidity, but I never had a rash.

I remember when I first picked up the Sea-Dweller, how it felt sharper around the edges. In fact, when my kids were born, I switched back to the LINK because I didn’t want to risk scratching the baby.

Anyway, my SD gives me a rash right at the end of the Oyster clasp, in line with my left thumb. I wonder if it’s more of the stamped edges digging in rather than the stainless?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Can always count on ARFCOM....great review and discussion!!!

Thinking about upgrading my Squale diver to this.  My only question at the moment is how do you think 20mm NATOs would look on the P39?  

I probably have close to 10 straps that I can rotate between the Squale, Speedy Pro, and a Hamilton Khaki Field.  Would hate to have to buy a few 21mm straps.  

Sounds like the bracelet is the way to wear this though.  But I love my NATOs!
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By brianm423:

Thinking about upgrading my Squale diver to this.  My only question at the moment is how do you think 20mm NATOs would look on the P39?  

I probably have close to 10 straps that I can rotate between the Squale, Speedy Pro, and a Hamilton Khaki Field.  Would hate to have to buy a few 21mm straps.  

View Quote

I’ll get you some pics tomorrow.

Everytime I’ve gone to a nato on this, it’s back on the bracelet by evening.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 2:26:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#22]

View Quote

Honestly, the bracelet is so good/light/comfortable that it's the best of both worlds.
Swapping to NATO, unless you just have to have the look, does'nt really improve the wearability.
Tudor really nailed it on this one...
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RonGonzo:

Awesome. It really might be the perfect dive/tool watch.

My plan is to wait for the next release. If it's blue and I like the shade I'll get a 39. If I don't like it I will gladly go with an older 42 in the matte blue.
View Quote
That's what I'm hoping for as well. The darker blue, not the light blue.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 4:48:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Honestly, the bracelet is so good/light/comfortable that it's the best of both worlds.
Swapping to NATO, unless you just have to have the look, does'nt really improve the wearability.
Tudor really nailed it on this one...
View Quote

I've been wearing the Pelagos every day but one for 3 months now. Its so comfy in the bracelet that I don't take it off to lift, mow, shower, sleep, anything besides when I'm using tools or working with raw meat.

Put my seamaster on for a bit yesterday and it felt like I was swinging a hammer every time I moved my arm!
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:

What seiko is that?
View Quote
I made a new thread on the Seiko
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#27]
@brianm423 sorry for the delay

22mm:

21mm:

20mm:
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#28]
@Finslayer83

Thanks for this.  Glad to see it looks fine on 20's.  No reason to buy the same colors I already have in 21mm.  

Might pull the trigger on this piece in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#29]
@Finslayer83

Thanks for this.  Glad to see it looks fine on 20's.  No reason to buy the same colors I already have in 21mm.  

Might pull the trigger on this piece in the next day or two.
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
Heh! So at the start of this month I had to reset the date on my 42 - and the first couple of days it lost something like 30 seconds..resetting the date upset it a bit. So I set it again to a full minute ahead on the dot on like the 2nd or 3rd of this month. It again lost some 15 seconds over the first couple of days, maybe a little more...then it stabilized - no more time loss, if I left the watch face down while I slept.

The last 5 or so nights I've been leaving it face up while I slept - the watch has fallen to 28 seconds ahead - it seems at night it loses ~4 seconds, give or take, with the watch facing up. Facing down, it doesn't lose any time at all, at least none that I could roughly detect over a few weeks.

I guess my main takeaway is if you have a 42 and need to reset the date - build in 30 or so seconds of slack for the watch time to even out over a couple days, if you're one of those like me who set your watch compared to something that either gets a nightly radio broadcast or gets it's time from NTP

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22779/IMG_2264-2899557.jpg
View Quote

So to follow up on this -

On July 3rd (I think) I set it to a full minute ahead of time. As of today Aug 30 it was a minute and a half behind (actually a little less, a minute 25 or so, but close enough). So in the course of just about 2 months, it lost about 2 and a half minutes, give or take. REALLY not bad at all. For reference my Breitling would drop 5 minutes every 28 days or so.

Today I just set it ahead again a full minute on the dot, as compared to a Casio ProTrek PRW-3100-6ADR (picks up radio time sync broadcasts overnight and keeps great time) as well as a pc that gets NTP time updates so it's usually only off 150ms or less (right this second its drifted 110ms)...so we'll see what time is like next month

Super happy with it.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#31]
still awesome and loving it more daily.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Got my hands on a FXD. It was too big for my wrist, but my father is waiting for a black FXD. The red text on the dial sold him on it. I'm still drooling over a P39. I don't think I want to blow my Explorer I budget on a P39, but I'm coming really close
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 9:59:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#33]
Originally Posted By x_red_beard_x:
Got my hands on a FXD. It was too big for my wrist, but my father is waiting for a black FXD. The red text on the dial sold him on it. I'm still drooling over a P39. I don't think I want to blow my Explorer I budget on a P39, but I'm coming really close
View Quote

Just go ahead and buy the P39.
Honestly, it's largely relegated my others ( Omega/Rolex, etc) to special occasions or when I have to throw on a suit and tie(rarely).
Sold 2 Subs not because I needed the money but because they seemed redundant. Kept 1 for sentimental reasons.

I just can't find anything wrong with the Tudor. For an every day watch that I can beat up without feeling guilty while still wearing something of substance, it's just about perfect.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#35]

That’s it. I’m headed to the AD next time it rains.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I have been winding mine up and putting it on in the morning--just to take it off 30 seconds later.  It is so bland.  Sorry (not sorry).  The thought of selling has been increasing, but I think I missed the window of good resale.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Gone_are_the_days:
I have been winding mine up and putting it on in the morning--just to take it off 30 seconds later.  It is so bland.  Sorry (not sorry).  The thought of selling has been increasing, but I think I missed the window of good resale.
View Quote

Sell it then? I haven’t taken mine off but for one day since I got it, and I haven’t even felt the need to shop for a new watch. To each their own but if you don’t love it, move it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Bland is the appeal, muted, simple, unassuming.

Why I went through seven different Sub references to end up here, I'm also a big titanium fan.

It's also why so many different watches are made
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#39]
This week I sold mine to a well known gray dealer.  I got 69% of retail, plus shipping paid by buyer.  Another well known gray low-balled me at 59% of retail, another declined to make an offer due to having too many Pelagos 39 in stock.

The reasons I did not like this watch:
  • the big, shiny, sunburst bezel
  • the red text on the dial (I know people love it)
  • the ultra-black dial.
  • the titanium seems neat at first--so light, but in use it seems not as interesting as stainless steel  

Overall, an expensive mistake.  I am still enjoying my Seiko SLA037 and Speedmaster.  I think I will stop viewing wristwatch content on the web and just wear the two watches I own.  No more seeking the next best watch.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#40]
This week I sold mine to a well known gray dealer.  I got 69% of retail, plus shipping paid by buyer.  Another well known gray low-balled me at 59% of retail, another declined to make an offer due to having too many Pelagos 39 in stock.

• the ultra-black dial.
  • the titanium seems neat at first--so light, but in use it seems not as interesting as stainless steel  

Overall, an expensive mistake.  I am still enjoying my Seiko SLA037 and Speedmaster.  I think I will stop viewing wristwatch content on the web and just wear the two watches I own.  No more seeking the next best watch.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/9/2023 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#41]

• the ultra-black dial.

View Quote

Hello fellow watch enthusiasts! 😂
Been out of the net for a while with work. By Gone sorry to hear it did not work out for you. Probably a good call moving on though - if you don’t love it get rid of it.
Honestly I have done this with a couple of watches only to miss them, then buy back into them. Had a 39mm Exp, got the 36mm, went back to a 39, now guess what- I’m back with a 36! After all that the 36 is for me.
You might like the BB58 based on you complaints on the Pelagos. Mine is a keeper.
I am still considering a Pelagos 39mm in the spring.
It’s a sickness.
Cheers!
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#42]
They are hard to find. I’ve been to three ADs in the last two weeks and haven’t found one in stock yet. I’m trying to make my choice between a 42 and a 39. I’ll probably buy whichever in the secondary market but I’d really like to have the 39 on wrist before I decide.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#44]
One year later....

Still awesome.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#45]
In about 2 months will be my 1 year anniversary

Indeed, I daily drive it, beat the crap out of it a bit...looks still good as new as far as I'm concerned - and after some use, time has evened out to the point where I set it ahead precisely 2 minutes/120 seconds about 3 months ago, and it's uh...117 seconds ahead still today.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top