User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Making progress

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice.  always thought the Tomcat was one of the prettiest jet fighters ever.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#4]
A Lego Ford GT-40 model.

Haven't opened the box yet.

Probably will start tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Got this guy up to 73 on stock eveythingAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Semi-flat clear over everything in prep for weathering.

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 12:42:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
Semi-flat clear over everything in prep for weathering.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/4210/4iBIat.jpg
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure what I'm getting myself into.
I have been building plastic models for 50 years, but never have I tried airbrushing.
So I bought myself an entry level airbrush, compressor/tank, and a couple sets of acrylic paints.
I'm about to start building a 1:96 scale Cutty Sark ship model.
Of course, I'll try airbrushing on something else first before I unleash it on the model - because I have no idea of what I'm doing with this setup...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/20/2023 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
I have been building plastic models for 50 years, but never have I tried airbrushing.
So I bought myself an entry level airbrush, compressor/tank, and a couple sets of acrylic paints.
Of course, I'll try airbrushing on something else first before I unleash it on the model - because I have no idea of what I'm doing with this setup...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/AirBrush_1_jpg-2891828.JPG
View Quote

You’re gonna love it!  For years I was building models and airbrushing to make them look new. But now I’m learning tricks using the airbrush to turn the painting into an art.

A little background. From age 18 until I was 28 I was in the autobody line of work.  We learned to lay down enough paint to make the color applying completely opaque.  We even had little black and white square stickers to put on the edge of the tape to make sure there was enough paint. Not too much, but just enough +1 coat.

Fast forward to earlier this year where I’m learning how to “black base” paint the F-14 in this thread.  Black primer base, start with a dark gray and work your way up to a white applying a “marbling” effect over the black while leaving some black showing.
Once that’s done, using a very thinned top coat color, slowly start building up where the marbling effect is seen through the top coat and not one solid color. Yea, blew my mind since it’s the opposite of what I learned and have been practicing for over 40 years.  

Have fun! Lots of how to videos on YouTube. Doogs models has some good pointers and he doesn’t come off as some pretentious ass.  

Funny story….On a modeling site years ago I got into an argument with one of the well known “experts” in the airbrushing world.  I had started a thread about using a cheap touch up paint gun from Harbor Freight for top coats like clear on models.  He came off accusing me of not knowing anything and I shouldn’t be posting these ideas in modelers heads.  But damn, about a year later he has a YouTube video put out on guess what?  Yep, using small detail paint guns on models.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Hoping to maiden this sometime this weekend. Wish me luck!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#11]

In the process of doing up a Revell 1/24 VW bug plastic model kit as a body for my Axial AX24 crawler.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#12]

You're gonna love it!  For years I was building models and airbrushing to make them look new. But now I'm learning tricks using the airbrush to turn the painting into an art.

A little background. From age 18 until I was 28 I was in the autobody line of work.  We learned to lay down enough paint to make the color applying completely opaque.  We even had little black and white square stickers to put on the edge of the tape to make sure there was enough paint. Not too much, but just enough +1 coat.

Fast forward to earlier this year where I'm learning how to "black base" paint the F-14 in this thread.  Black primer base, start with a dark gray and work your way up to a white applying a "marbling" effect over the black while leaving some black showing.
Once that's done, using a very thinned top coat color, slowly start building up where the marbling effect is seen through the top coat and not one solid color. Yea, blew my mind since it's the opposite of what I learned and have been practicing for over 40 years.  

Have fun! Lots of how to videos on YouTube. Doogs models has some good pointers and he doesn't come off as some pretentious ass.  

Funny story .On a modeling site years ago I got into an argument with one of the well known "experts" in the airbrushing world.  I had started a thread about using a cheap touch up paint gun from Harbor Freight for top coats like clear on models.  He came off accusing me of not knowing anything and I shouldn't be posting these ideas in modelers heads.  But damn, about a year later he has a YouTube video put out on guess what?  Yep, using small detail paint guns on models.
View Quote
@ScottsGT

OK, this is hard.
I painted my airplane (avatar) with a Binks siphon and enamel, and it was far easier than trying to master this simple model airbrush!
I'm spending more time disassembling it for cleaning to keep it running than I do spraying...
I'll probably eventually figure out the secret, but right now it's a bit frustrating.
I'm trying to spray Vallejo acrylic mixed 50/50 with a thinner/flow improver/retarder but still have the paint drying in the nozzle - probably compounded by the high temps and low humidity here in AZ.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#13]
@ScottsGT

OK, this is hard.
I painted my airplane (avatar) with a Binks siphon and enamel, and it was far easier than trying to master this simple model airbrush!
I'm spending more time disassembling it for cleaning to keep it running than I do spraying...
I'll probably eventually figure out the secret, but right now it's a bit frustrating.
I'm trying to spray Vallejo acrylic mixed 50/50 with a thinner/flow improver/retarder but still have the paint drying in the nozzle - probably compounded by the high temps and low humidity here in AZ.
View Quote

What size tip/needle did your airbrush come with?  A good all around is a .35 mm. Don’t be afraid to go heavy on thinner and add more coats.  I’ve never used the Vallejo paints. I’m shooting mostly Mr. Color and MRP Lacquers. But I did give MPS one time a try and hated it. I also shot a lot of Tamiya acrylics.  I do remember that mastering acrylics took some time and different brands shot different ways.
I feel at home with my lacquers since I cut my teeth on them back in the ‘80’s with my autobody work.
Some guys have reported great results using Mr. Color leveling thinner (for their lacquer paints) in acrylics.

If you’re not heavily invested in the Vallejo line up yet, try lacquers. MRP and Mr.Color seems to be the hot ticket now.  MRP comes ready to spray while Mr. Color needs thinning with their thinners. I prefer the Mr. Color for the versatility for touch ups with a brush, but MRP offers a few more colors.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#14]

What size tip/needle did your airbrush come with?  A good all around is a .35 mm. Don't be afraid to go heavy on thinner and add more coats.  I've never used the Vallejo paints. I'm shooting mostly Mr. Color and MRP Lacquers. But I did give MPS one time a try and hated it. I also shot a lot of Tamiya acrylics.  I do remember that mastering acrylics took some time and different brands shot different ways.
I feel at home with my lacquers since I cut my teeth on them back in the '80's with my autobody work.
Some guys have reported great results using Mr. Color leveling thinner (for their lacquer paints) in acrylics.

If you're not heavily invested in the Vallejo line up yet, try lacquers. MRP and Mr.Color seems to be the hot ticket now.  MRP comes ready to spray while Mr. Color needs thinning with their thinners. I prefer the Mr. Color for the versatility for touch ups with a brush, but MRP offers a few more colors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@ScottsGT

OK, this is hard.

What size tip/needle did your airbrush come with?  A good all around is a .35 mm. Don't be afraid to go heavy on thinner and add more coats.  I've never used the Vallejo paints. I'm shooting mostly Mr. Color and MRP Lacquers. But I did give MPS one time a try and hated it. I also shot a lot of Tamiya acrylics.  I do remember that mastering acrylics took some time and different brands shot different ways.
I feel at home with my lacquers since I cut my teeth on them back in the '80's with my autobody work.

If you're not heavily invested in the Vallejo line up yet, try lacquers. MRP and Mr.Color seems to be the hot ticket now.  MRP comes ready to spray while Mr. Color needs thinning with their thinners. I prefer the Mr. Color for the versatility for touch ups with a brush, but MRP offers a few more colors.
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to play around.
Since I've never done this before, I have to learn.
I'm using a .3mm needle, the airbrush also came with a .2mm and a .5mm needle and nozzle.
When it's working, it great!  When it's not, not so great.
I'm sure I'll eventually figure it out.
Luckily, what I'm painting now is not very critical on best application performance...
I'll take a look at the paints that you mentioned, as a newbie - I'm not really invested heavily in anything just yet (although I was looking at more expensive airbrushes..).
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh shit. Then run from the acrylics now!  Jump on the Lacquer master race now!  

After posting I had flashbacks of when I was shooting acrylics. It’s been well over 3 years now. But I do remember constant tip cleaning, especially using the old Model Master acrylic lineup.  Tamiya was not as bad.  I get about 99.9% of my paint and thinners from Sprue Brothers.  I actually use Dupli-Color clear lacquer from the auto parts store for my clear. I just thin the crap out of it with Mr. Color leveling thinner and their Matt base for flats and semi-flat finishes.
I figure the $45 quart will last me 2 or 3 lifetimes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 12:08:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: svt40] [#16]
@ScottsGT

OK, this is hard.
View Quote

You're not the only one.  I absolutely hate trying to airbrush with Vallejo.  Nothing but problems.  Model Master enamels and Tamiya acrylics spray great.  It's also so fragile that basic handling takes the paint back off.

I've tried some Mission Model paint that sprayed well and does not come off when you look at it.  I also have some AK interactive v2 and v3 that I have yet to try.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By svt40:

You're not the only one.  I absolutely hate trying to airbrush with Vallejo.  Nothing but problems.  Model Master enamels and Tamiya acrylics spray great.  It's also so fragile that basic handling takes the paint back off.

I've tried some Mission Model paint that sprayed well and does not come off when you look at it.  I also have some AK interactive v2 and v3 that I have yet to try.
View All Quotes
@ScottsGT

OK, this is hard.

I am YUUUGE fan of MRP. Seriously, the best paint I’ve ever used.

Pic for example. Spray straight from the bottle using an Iwata HPC plus…2mm nozzle at 20 PSI.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#18]

You're not the only one.  I absolutely hate trying to airbrush with Vallejo.  Nothing but problems.  Model Master enamels and Tamiya acrylics spray great. It's also so fragile that basic handling takes the paint back off.

View All Quotes
@ScottsGT

OK, this is hard.

You're not the only one.  I absolutely hate trying to airbrush with Vallejo.  Nothing but problems.  Model Master enamels and Tamiya acrylics spray great. It's also so fragile that basic handling takes the paint back off.

Yeah, I noticed that also...
Right now, I think I'd like to stick with acrylic - maybe I'll give the Tamiya lineup a try.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
What a shame; they seem to have become the "de-facto" airbrush paint.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 8:22:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#20]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:

I actually had some success with Vallejo acrylic today.
I was mixing 50/50 paint/(thinner,flow improver, medium retarder) and spraying at 15psi - that resulted in major clogs.
I changed to mixing 35/65 paint/(thinner,flow improver, medium retarder) and spraying at 30psi (modifying it with the MAC valve) - I managed to paint all afternoon without a single problem, only had to clean the gun when I changed colors.
Of course I did have to apply a few more coats, but I'll take that all the time over having to clean clogs every 5 or 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Lame, I know, but a JP Reliabolt and soon to be FCD bolt catch for my M5.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I noticed that also...
Right now, I think I'd like to stick with acrylic - maybe I'll give the Tamiya lineup a try.
View Quote

And once you try lacquers, you’ll be like “Woah!  Why did I wait so long to try these!” Touch up, blending, taping, clear coating….All so much easier with lacquers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Bought a losi no prep drag car roller. Going to try this RC drag racing stuff out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Finished it up yesterday.

Link Posted: 8/2/2023 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Keith1980:

That is outstanding! You have some serious skills, sir!
View Quote

Thank you!  I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Finished it up yesterday.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/3563/yT43Gx.jpg
View Quote

Great job.  Especially with not overdoing the weathering like folks love to do.  Few people realize just how clean the Navy keep their aircraft.  We were not even allowed to polish our boots since the polish left scuffs on the paint.  Mandatory wash job every week while deployed even when on water rations.

I have a KittyHawk SH-60B ready to build once Red Fox comes out with the 3d cockpit for it.  What color paints did you use?  I have some 320 gray, 237 blue and 495 light gray by Ammo.  Which was nice that Ammo used the same color numbers the Navy used.

I just wish I could find some decal kits with East coast HSL squadrons for the seahawk.  Everything is West coast or the newer HSM squadrons.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Is shot this one with lacquers doing the black base technique.  Honestly, I’m a little light on top coat in some areas. It was my first attempt at black basing and a great learning experience.  
Top gray is light gull gray FS16440
Bottom is FS17875 white. Kind of an off white.

Now just before this movie was filmed the Navy was in a color transition on aircraft that would eventually go all gray. So one thing done was the earlier paint scheme like this, the top surfaces of the ailerons and stabilizers were also white.  The Navy repainted all the top surfaces the same FS16440 but left the bottom surface alone.  But they were a stark white, not the FS17875 white.  
So while I was watching the dogfight sequence of the film for like the 30th time I noticed the bottoms of the ailerons were still the stark, bright white.  

FWIW, my lacquer of choice is Mr. Color. MRP is a second choice.  MRP costs is much higher too. But both spray great. Mr. Color is thicker and has to be thinned.  I can use it for brush touch ups or small areas unlike MRP.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

On to the next project.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I usually have multiple projects going on. Being overseas right now everything is on hold. But...

I have three Flite Test kits waiting to be built, three FPV wings waiting to be built, a new Ardupilot UAV waiting, and at least 3-4 airplane projects in development

Maybe more like 6

Or 8

But literally on my bench is my Flightline 63" Corsair with a broken retract
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Got a 1968 F100 body painted up for my 22s roller.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Damn!  That’s nice work.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My project is over, but this came in the mail. Life Like EMD GP9 I believe. Used, straight DC. Still cool in my book. I'll try to post my project later.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166748/sf1_jpg-2919669.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166748/sf2_jpg-2919670.JPG

My project is over, but this came in the mail. Life Like EMD GP9 I believe. Used, straight DC. Still cool in my book. I'll try to post my project later.
View Quote

Way cool. Here's my Lifelike BN setup that I've had in boxes since 1987 I believe.  Never ran. Planning to do a static shelf scene at some point.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:33:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#35]
my "hobby bench" is what I'm working on....

I am recreating a scene from the 50's as closely as I possibly can.

custom made backdrop on the way, that matches the terrain behind the scene I am modeling

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Finished these this week. AMT 1:420 scale USS Defiant and 1:1400 scale USS Enterprise G from Picard season 3.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#37]
This was for a trade show we did last week. Every year there's a theme, this year they had a train theme. I think I was the only one who had an actual train set, I think the theme thing is getting pretty weak. Ran the whole thing off a Jackery.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It was a one of  kind of thing. Now I have to build something for the house.

Attachment Attached File

The joy of buying used trains. Someone cobbled some stuff together instead of buying the correct couplers. I haven't bought a used train yet that had good couplers on them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

USS Constitution by Mantua 1/96 scale
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#39]
80inch Curtis P-40 with 35cc engine and electric start!  Just needing to finish the install.  And just started as of today a 70 inch Ryan STA.  Power plant undecided at this very moment.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#41]
This winters project will be a pair of the new AMT 1/32 scale Tie Fighters.
They are 3/4 studio scale, at 13.5” tall. Attachment Attached File

They will oppose the 6 studio scale X-wings and one Y-wing in my office.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#42]
More work done

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

@az_sky

That the Revell molding?  You’ll like it. I built that about 1987
Have you visited my Constitution?

Wood 1/96 USS Constitution

I too use Tamiya and Mr self leveling primer. It also works well with the AK line and thins like Tamiya!
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#44]
such a cool aircraft!
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By oscardeuce:

@az_sky

That the Revell molding?  You'll like it. I built that about 1987

I too use Tamiya and Mr self leveling primer. It also works well with the AK line and thins like Tamiya!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By oscardeuce:

@az_sky

That the Revell molding?  You'll like it. I built that about 1987

@oscardeuce

Yeah, that's the Revell 1:96 scale Cutty Sark.
Actually, it's the second one that I have built.
I was building one back in the mid 90's and it got damaged by the moving company during a move.
It ended up in the trash, recently I decided to try it again.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

That wood Constitution model that you are building looks very interesting.
I love working with wood - I may try building something similar when I get the Cutty Sark done.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Finished these in winter. Took a break for summer but getting back to it soon.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/9/2023 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Getting a bit crowded in here.  A1 Skyraider build just starting, J3 Cub that’s been finished for a year but can’t get the OS55 glow engine running properly (today’s agenda) big Decathlon waiting for first start of its 2 stroke gas engine, and the big P40 I’m waiting on the correct prop to arrive and get drilled so I can finish up what little is left to be done with it.  Our club is hosting a warbird and scale event last weekend this month and I’ve been building like mad to get a few more new planes finished.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

The one part I need to get it back in the air is sitting in the oversize mailbox which I can't open because dumbass postal worker left the wrong key.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:32:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tnriverluver] [#49]

@oscardeuce

Yeah, that's the Revell 1:96 scale Cutty Sark.
Actually, it's the second one that I have built.
I was building one back in the mid 90's and it got damaged by the moving company during a move.
It ended up in the trash, recently I decided to try it again.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/CS1_jpg-2943834.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Cutty_Sark1_jpg-2943835.JPG

That wood Constitution model that you are building looks very interesting.
I love working with wood - I may try building something similar when I get the Cutty Sark done.
View Quote

@ AZ_Sky As as young pre-teen child in the late 1960’s I built this.  Still remember the nightmare of cutting out those damn sails being 8-9-10 y/o!  Never again!  Can’t believe this thing even is still around after all these years even though it falls apart anytime you even breathe on it.  A few sails have gone missing but may still be in a box in my mother’s attic when I packed up all my models some time in the 70’s for a move and there they still sit in those boxes now, except for one big box full that mice found their way into.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top