BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 3:27:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]
So I bought my kid a $35 drone and he flew the shit out of it for two weeks. He had it in my warehouse yesterday and was trying to fly over my warehouse banner about 12ft in the air, hit something and it landed hard on the concrete. Ended up breaking the hoop around one of the rotors.

I remember seeing recommendations for glue. I'm sure it's made out of the cheapest plastic possible. What glue can we try before we chunk this thing and buy something else.

Yeah, I know, but he had great fun with it while it lasted. He got at least 75ft range indoors with it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By joemama74:
So I bought my kid a $35 drone and he flew the shit out of it for two weeks. He had it in my warehouse yesterday and was trying to fly over my warehouse banner about 12ft in the air, hit something and it landed hard on the concrete. Ended up breaking the hoop around one of the rotors.

I remember seeing recommendations for glue. I'm sure it's made out of the cheapest plastic possible. What glue can we try before we chunk this thing and buy something else.

Yeah, I know, but he had great fun with it while it lasted. He got at least 75ft range indoors with it.
View Quote

Depends on the break and type of plastic.  Some plastic will glue with CA/super glue.  Tends to be least ideal because it is brittle, but works if the part was 3D printed with PLA.  Some will melt back together with Testors model glue or acetone and this works pretty well.  Otherwise something like E6000 or Shoe Goo will stick to most things.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 4:25:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#4]
Well, update on my progress.  Blade reintroduced an "updated" Inductrix - got 2 for the kids for Christmas.  They are "updated" not "upgraded" - they turned them into slightly better than Walmart toys.  Removed Acro mode, removed dual rates, removed Spektrum.  One already has a broken frame - but I suspect the frame was broken due to the kids trying to get the dog hair off the motor shaft (2 motors might be toast as well now).  They were flying in a very clean house - but there was a dog shedding, and it had not been vacuumed in almost 2 days.

My Vision40 is a work in progress.  Flashed the goggle firmware.  Should flash the VTX, but am going to put that off (the binding is fine already).  TX and receiver are bound - but there are issues, so will need to flash those as well - welcome to ExpressLRS...  It's not plug and play like DJI.  Great price for performance, but requires a bit more hands on.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 3:41:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#5]
Ok, just got to bitch a bit.  ExpressLRS is kicking my ass.  I am not a computer newb - but it is 2023 and I should not need to put up with driver and com port issues anymore.  Tried to punt and use IOS to set them up-but those config files are so out of date they don't exist for my equipment.  Will punt and try my son's Windows 11 computer tomorrow.  My computer still has good hardware, but it's OS is a bit finicky at times (like when running a linex shell in windows - damn that was painfull).  I don't have quite as many hours in this project as that - but it is adding up fast.

Ok, bitch mode off.  Paying dues now.  I bet when I get around to installing an autopilot it will only get worse.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:07:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#7]
Windows 11 was a bust.  Managed a driver fix - but it was for the STM32 Bootloader.  At least my computer can now connect with the controller when turned off.  I have the batteries in a charger right now (working on 10hrs of sim training, batteries were getting a bit low).  Will see if the TX can connect with the computer under power later.  Fingers crossed that it fixed the RadioMaster driver (I think it is a Silicone Labs driver, nothing special).

Meanwhile, figured out my home network's bandwidth drain (GoogleDriveFS on my son's computer) and updated windows on his computer (with the wasted hopes of getting his drivers updated for the RadioMaster).
---
I have read that it takes 20hrs of sim time to be ready, I am kind of doubting that will be nearly enough.  Meawhile, my analog Mini Whoop came in the mail today.  Probably should have went with a Happymodle (Mobula65 or Mobeetle65), but read good things about the Meteor frame, so went with the current model of the Meteor65.  Most web sources (at least for race quads) were starting with the Mobula to steal the video and flight controller off of it - then changing out the motors and the frame (and at the time the battery connector - apparently HappyModel has upgraded that - but that is v3 and I don't know if any of those are actually in the wild yet).  Really was not ready for that level of fun yet - plus I am not planning on racing.  The one I have been working on is a RotorRiot Vision40 (a 75mm frame).

Nearest race group is 5hrs away anyway.  I think the Austin group has either dissolved or gone radio silent in protest of the FAA/FCC.  FAA says even thought these are sub 50gram drones - LOS rules require a spotter.  FCC says even though these drones have almost no VTX power (are basically indoor drones, and doubtfully could transmit through a wall to the street), they still require a HAM licenses...  FWW, Indoor does get away from FAA rules, and I have the radio license...  No laws broken here (not that either group is watching this forum, only the FBI, ATF, etc...)  But honestly, after hitting the Austin LHS, seems like drones are fairly dead there.  Did not see all that much in Houston hobby shops either...

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 1:49:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#9]
Success - well kind of.  I cheated. The Meteor65 Pro came in today and I manage to set it up without using the PC. Only one flight so far.  LOS on angle mode is simple - I need a lot of work to do goggles well.  I need more sim time, especially with the goggles connected to my computer
---
At least in the past, I found that when a LHS sponsors races, they tend to have parts available (often track side on race day - very convenient).  The Austin LHS used to sponser RC car racing in their parking lot - but I think that is pretty much a thing of the past as well.  I thought they used to sponsor the drone racing in Austin - but that was years ago as well (when I still worked in Austin).  I understand why they called it quits - you just can not afford to inventory parts for a hobby that things change so much so quickly when online is significantly cheaper (either buying directly from China, or buying from a companies US distributor).  Offering support sounds great - but a business will generally go broke doing it, nobody wants to pay what it actually costs.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:21:18 AM EDT
[#10]
If doing micros...

Look into okd vidros KabobFPV put out..

His ToothPick line of micros could perform quite well and the things get so light that it gets hard to destroy them.

VTX and antennas seems to be one kf the more fagile bits.

Helping a friend at work get into drones he went to the small Emax builds first and sadly it was a bit harder for him to learn on for soldering.    Even more sad is he recently asked me if I wanted to buy him out of all his gear as he has flown less than I have in past two years.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:04:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#11]
Just an update.  At least at the moment - it is all looking good.  After another day wasted working on the Meteor65 Pro, called RotorRiot (the vendor who tuned the drone).  I did not bother to leave a voice mail, started to compose an email and my phone rang - they were calling me back anyway.  Good service.  He thought my connection issue with the RX was my micro USB cable (I had tried 2 already, but...), and the issue between my TX and RX was the setup in BetaFlight (don't see why...).  But, sure, went to walmart - got a premium micro USB cable - and damn, BetaFlight connected.  Adjusted the RX per JB's youtube video for setting up the Vision40.  Still would not arm (even though it would bind).  Likewise, BetaFlight could not see my TX through the RX.  Had read that Model Match could be related.  So I set up Model Match via a walk through in another JB video.  Used wifi to give the drone it's number, gave it's model a number on the TX and turned on Model Match via the ExpressLRS script.  Damn, it actually worked.  Finally armed (about 20 minutes ago).

I am not about to try to fly it in the house tonight - but wind dependent, maybe I can fly out some batteries before the winter storms hit on Monday.

Will do some more sim time tonight (managed to even get the googles to work with my computer) - the sim is getting better.  20hrs might have me feeling a lot better with the drone - abet my house is one hell of a flight map.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:39:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Finally flew a battery FPV outside today.  Going to take some time for my brain to disconnect my eyes from my other senses - was stumbling around after the flight due to vertigo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
Finally flew a battery FPV outside today.  Going to take some time for my brain to disconnect my eyes from my other senses - was stumbling around after the flight due to vertigo.
View Quote

LOL.

Just wait until you get to smack into shit and go along for the ride.

At first you will quickly disarm but after awhile you will try to ride it out and see if the gyro helps save you.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By uglygun:

LOL.

At first you will quickly disarm but after awhile you will try to ride it out and see if the gyro helps save you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By uglygun:

LOL.

My favorite is crashing a whoop in the house or shop.  Looking though goggles "Where in the hell is that!?!?!?!"
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:36:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I fly walksnail. I have been pretty happy with them. they try to listen to the customers and while not nearly as polished as DJI, its not DJI and that alone is worth it to me. DJI is deep state communist chyna trash. yes walksnail is also Chyna as just about everything in this hobby is, but they are small potatoes and I dont think they are in bed with the government. I use the video receiver with a older pair of fatshark HDO 1 goggles and its a decent setup. good analog and good enough digital. I prefer 4:3 video which I can do end to end with my current setup. the dedicated goggles are all 16X9 which is lame for FPV. you can letterbox it but thats a downgrade IMO.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:42:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TotalUnRecall] [#16]
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#17]
ExpressLRS is kicking my ass.
View Quote

After not flying much for a couple of years due to work, I jumped from Spektrum to EdgeTX and ELRS.

I haven't wanted to yeet my computer out the window like that for a long time
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#18]
this thread is relevant to my interests. I flew a mini 2 and probably going to get the mini 5 when it comes out but i want to dip my toes into fpv and assembling a kit.  thanks for all the info provided already!
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:04:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: broken_reticle] [#20]
Originally Posted By MrMackey:
this thread is relevant to my interests. I flew a mini 2 and probably going to get the mini 5 when it comes out but i want to dip my toes into fpv and assembling a kit.  thanks for all the info provided already!
View Quote

Honestly,  building is 1/2 the fun.  The challenge ia understanding all the bits and pieces and making sure they work together.  Much easier than it used to be.

My first quad was a ZMR250 with CC3D FC.  Arduino OSD.  

Get FPV has sets, not the cheapest,  but probably pretty safe.

https://www.getfpv.com/fpv-quad-kits/diy-drone-kits.html

Flite Test has some bundles, solid guys, great videos and I am pretty sure all of them are arfcommers.

https://store.flitetest.com/ft-guardian-gremlin-v-2/

Josh Bardwell can be a bit of an acquired taste, but info is solid, ton of review videos.  All the stuff to roll your own.

https://www.fpvknowitall.com/

One last tidbit.  Toothpick and smaller are great to fly, but suck to build.  I have excellent solder skills, but even for me it can be frustrating.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TotalUnRecall:

IMO when it comes to FPV, buying a bind n fly is more like dipping your toes. Or a tiny whoop. Going full build is jumping in head first. Not that I’m trying to discourage you by any means, just be prepared to get frustrated here and there.
View Quote

Completely understandable. I put together a few gaming pcs for me and my daughter and like to assemble guns and 3d print and im a car guy so why not another expensive hobby haha
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I've still not made a purchase. I'm really waiting to see what the new DJI goggles will be like before diving in.

Got my eye on either a Nazgul Evoque or Mark5 as far as drones go.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 1:36:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#24]

How you doing on the sim?
View Quote

I still "float" past race gates sometimes but, for the most part I'm dialed in. I think I have around 20 hours now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Loonytik:

I still "float" past race gates sometimes but, for the most part I'm dialed in. I think I have around 20 hours now.
View Quote

If camera tilt is low remember to roll more.

Had a friend tbat would yaw then pitch to do turns.   That screws up the whole thrust angle/pull into the turns.

Otherwise up your camera tilt and you might find it pulling itself through turns a bit more.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:58:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Has OP bought anything yet?
View Quote

@Loonytik
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:47:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Has OP bought anything yet?
View Quote

Not yet. I'm really waiting to see the new goggles from DJI or, see how much the Goggles 2 drop in price when the new ones come out.

Anyone have any rumors on the new goggles?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:29:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Yes. I’d stop waiting. They seem to be more geared for the Avata 2. And some how the latency is worse. The main selling point seems to be the pass thru cams on the front which I, nor anyone I fly with, would use. Basically everyone in the FPV community seems to be disappointed.
View Quote

Well, that sucks. There were rumors last year of a new goggle system. I guess they were leaning toward building that around the Avata for the masses.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:41:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TotalUnRecall] [#32]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#33]

A guy I fly with told me he buys his o3 units off Amazon and pays the extra $20 for insurance. It’s similar to the Best Buy warranty I have for my GoPros. I just smashed a Hero 11 and got a brand new 12 (they gave me a credit for my original purchase price, and the 12 was on sale). I try to support the FPV stores but let’s face it. The o3 is expensive and if you break it, you’re screwed.

ETA: Looks like April 11th is the Avata 2 release date. You’ve waited this long so why not wait until until then to see what the “official” YouTube reviewers say about it? Unless you find goggles 2 for $300 in the mean time of course.
View Quote

I don't think I would buy the Avata 2 anyway. You've convinced me(and many videos on YouTube)that a 5 inch is the way to start. The Nazgul Evoque is at the top at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Look really hard at the GepRC Mark5 X also. It’s a very well thought out frame and easy to build on if you decide to go that route. There’s also a BNF version. It’s actually a bit more quiet on the logs than my Apex Evo and the AUW is a little less also. So far it’s held up durability wise. I can’t say better than the Apex because my worst crashes have been with the Apex, but it’s been a great quad. I think it may be cheaper than the Evoque. From what I hear the Evoque is kind of a pain to work on and very heavy. Just some things to consider.
View Quote

I've been out of touch the last several days but, just dropped into the DJI website to see the new Avata. Low and behold, a new goggle system - Goggles 3. I'm almost tempted to try the whole system but, I'm wondering if the Avata will work with my controller?

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:23:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#38]

So the Goggles 3 will only work with the Avata 2 right now. So if you want those you’ll have to wait for DJI to release a new firmware update down the road if you want to use them with anything else.
View Quote

Yea, I was reading that exact thing. I'm assuming the O4 air unit will start showing up on GepRC's and others along with compatibility with the new goggles.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Just found this thread. Glad I did as I'm getting into FPV, lots of good info here. I'm still in the simulator phase (about 15 hrs) and have no problem flying the around but I'm not quite precise enough to line up gaps and do anything fancy yet. I'm going to build my drone (I used to fly DJI Mavics but fuck that) and am considering one of those complete package deals (where you add an air unit and a few other bits). Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:07:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TotalUnRecall] [#41]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#42]

If you can solder I recommend to build. You will crash the shit out of these things. Knowing the ins and outs will help you immensely.

ETA: I had a lot going on today so that was the short answer. Post a link to the kit you’re taking about and let’s go from there. If you aren’t in a hurry we can piece something together that you’ll be happier with.
View Quote

Much appreciated! I've got no problem soldering (I've done it under a microscope) so the electronics/technical aspect isn't a problem for me. I'm more concerned with making sure everything fits together as I'm not familiar with the sizing of these parts. This is the kit I'm considering. Yeah it's a 'Bardwell', but the components seem to be pretty decent. I'm planning on running walksnail pro HD (due to it's lowlight performance) with ELRS. I've got a radiomaster pocket to get me started in the simulator and am waiting on a pair of Goggles X to come back in stock (I'm told 2-3 weeks from today).
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I made a FPV purchase.

The purists in this thread are going to be highly disappointed but, I have a plan and reasons. I purchased the Avata 2 package with the controller.

After looking at all of the options and seeing many good reviews of the new Avata it just made sense. My goal from the beginning was to enjoy the "feeling" of flying through the goggles. The flips, spins, "powerloops" etc. doesn't interest me that much. I'd rather drop into a riverbed from atop the trees and zoom down river. Or crest a mountaintop and slide down the back side.

My plan/reasons: 1. Overall, the Avata package just made the most sense from a usability standpoint and cost. By the time I bought a 5 inch drone, batteries, charger, goggles, etc. I would have been well over the price of the Avata 2.

2. The goggles will be compatible with aftermarket drones in the future and I'll already have them if I want to try a different type. I already have a compatible controller I use for SIM.

3. I use an Air 3 at work sometimes and the Goggles 3 are compatible with the Air 3 so I can use them to fly that drone as well. I can also use the Avata for slow, indoor shots for work.

Package should arrive Thursday. I'll post about my first experience after I've flown it.

Flame suit on.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Loonytik:
I purchased the Avata 2 package with the controller.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Seems like a decent starting point. Go for it. I've heard those are good frames but not sure how durable they are since I haven't used one. Have they fixed the issue of the Googles X overheating? The pocket is a cool little radio. Keep in mind it's got mini gimbals so if you learn on that your muscle memory will become accustomed to them. Nothing wrong with that, just letting you know. A dude I fly with runs the Zorro which has mini gimbals also, and he flys like a bat outta hell.
View Quote

I like that a lot of 'crash-facing' parts have been made out of aluminum and since I'm planning to crash this thing 1000 times it seemed like a good choice for entry level. Plus all the parts are known to work together so I don't have to worry about things not fitting. I heard walksnail fixed the overheat issue, which is why they've been out of stock for soo long, plus I'm not afraid to mod the goggles with auxiliary fans if necessary. I'm a little concerned about the mini gimbals but I started off on an x-box controller and when I switched to a pinch grip it was an instant level up for my skill. I figure I'll fly on the sim for a while with the pocket and maybe upgrade to a boxer or something. I got the pocket because it was cheap and I could see the difference btn the xbox controller and a proper radio (spoiler alert, it's huge).
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Ban him!!! Hey man, if you have fun, that's all that matters. You got the dildo controller or the regular one?
View Quote

I got both. I'll probably only use the dildo controller if someone else is flying. I've got so many sim hours with a regular controller I don't think it makes sense to use the stick.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top