User Panel

Site Notices
The Why Files (Page 19 of 20)
Page / 20
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Lol, I skipped from 2022 to the last page to see how it's going and I am not surprised that it has gone from great discussion on the well done topic to talking about ads and how the content has changed. I am going back and watch some more.
View Quote

It’s still solid stuff imho. My takeaway is that maybe AJ bit off too much and the pace of production with research, writing, recording his live action, Hecklefish SFX, finding or creating stock for scenes, editing and producing a weekly ~30 minute video podcast — plus an extended audio deep dive, managing discord and comments is a bit much for him and even a small team of 3-5 people.

And some of the topics at the beginning had a decent amount of relatively easy links or books to research from; the more he branches off into sidequests if you will, the more difficult or single-source the research will become.

I’m empathetic to him more than anything, really want more from AJ & the WF crew, but also want it to be great. He’s kind of our Gen X “In Search Of…” and I definitely want him to succeed.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By macman37:

It’s still solid stuff imho. My takeaway is that maybe AJ bit off too much and the pace of production with research, writing, recording his live action, Hecklefish SFX, finding or creating stock for scenes, editing and producing a weekly ~30 minute video podcast — plus an extended audio deep dive, managing discord and comments is a bit much for him and even a small team of 3-5 people.

And some of the topics at the beginning had a decent amount of relatively easy links or books to research from; the more he branches off into sidequests if you will, the more difficult or single-source the research will become.

I’m empathetic to him more than anything, really want more from AJ & the WF crew, but also want it to be great. He’s kind of our Gen X “In Search Of…” and I definitely want him to succeed.
View Quote

I think we all want him to do well, despite our grumblings we all enjoy the show overall and I still consider it to be one of the better shows for this kind of thing.   I wish there were more channels that I could get into, I used to like Bedtime Stories but after a few years I can no longer stand to listen to the narrator.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone watched the Antartica video on Amazon he said he got much of the last video's material from?

He said it's worth every penny ($4), but I'd like to hear that from one of our esteemed arfcom members.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
No episode tonight, they have pushed it back to Saturday.

We are running late! I have experienced missing time. Not sure why. Episode will be up on Saturday. And it's a *monster* (literally).
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Creatures & Cryptid Files Vol 1: Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, and El Chupacabra
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, He's taking a month off, with a plan to work for three weeks and take one as vacation. They are going to post compilation vids during the break to keep the googlemonster from completely destroying the channel. He has a video on the backstage channel explaining it.

Hopefully this gets them onto a more sustainable work flow. I've been feeling similar lately. It's not just work it's the world at large, everything is fear, doom, stress, inflation, blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:28:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#7]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:00:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HEATSEAKER:

It was educational but lacked in "edge-of-your-seat" conspiracy. I think he's running out of subject matter. He needs to do interviews or have an open phone line like Art Bell. Present a controversial subject, give the public a voice with their experiences, and gently debate/agree with them. Much less work involved as well.
View Quote

Yep! Ran out of material.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#9]
There is apparently some behind the scenes big drama going on.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ak4784:
View Quote

Anything else to note on that front…?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Such as?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
How would you know this?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:16:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boom_Stick] [#13]
I bet someone wants to fire hecklefish!

We'll get one of those yuge drama scenes of AJ giving him the boot. Heckle will throw a chair through the window as gerty sobs and slaps wildly at AJ before security throws them out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:
How would you know this?
View Quote

There is a Reddit "channel" (? not sure that is the correct term, I do not go on Reddit at all usually) for the Reddit readers who watch/follow The Why Files, and people there post threads/comments on various episodes and things relating, and someone there who apparently has Patreon/backstage access to extra stuff TWF/AJ posts that do not show up on the main YouTube pages posted a video AJ did right before (?) the latest video Saturday was released, in which he gets pretty open and personal about hitting the wall with some serious overwork/burnout, and that he needs a break. He admits what a lot of us have been seeing and commenting on in this thread, that he is not having the "fun" he was having before, and the hard deadlines and high standards he has imposed on himself and the team are taking their toll on his health and creativity. He is pretty hard on himself in this, and is clearly at a breaking point.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheWhyFiles/comments/1b543no/taking_a_break/

The YouTube link for that same video, on the WhyFiles Backstage page...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Oojei7iUA

And as for "stuff going on behind the scenes," one or two commenters were making comments in that Reddit thread, while most of the other comments were ignoring them, and expressing support and concern for AJ and crew. Until anything more "real" comes out on the gossip bit, ehh...it's the internet, and popular folks who become successful "overnight" also attract more than a few negative folks who want to bring them down, so who can say what is really going on at this stage.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By missme:

There is a Reddit "channel" (? not sure that is the correct term, I do not go on Reddit at all usually) for the Reddit readers who watch/follow The Why Files, and people there post threads/comments on various episodes and things relating, and someone there who apparently has Patreon/backstage access to extra stuff TWF/AJ posts that do not show up on the main YouTube pages posted a video AJ did right before (?) the latest video Saturday was released, in which he gets pretty open and personal about hitting the wall with some serious overwork/burnout, and that he needs a break. He admits what a lot of us have been seeing and commenting on in this thread, that he is not having the "fun" he was having before, and the hard deadlines and high standards he has imposed on himself and the team are taking their toll on his health and creativity. He is pretty hard on himself in this, and is clearly at a breaking point.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheWhyFiles/comments/1b543no/taking_a_break/

The YouTube link for that same video, on the WhyFiles Backstage page...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Oojei7iUA

And as for "stuff going on behind the scenes," one or two commenters were making comments in that Reddit thread, while most of the other comments were ignoring them, and expressing support and concern for AJ and crew. Until anything more "real" comes out on the gossip bit, ehh...it's the internet, and popular folks who become successful "overnight" also attract more than a few negative folks who want to bring them down, so who can say what is really going on at this stage.
View Quote

I sincerely hope he has a restful break, and that he can rework his channel and shows to be easier and more enjoyable for him to do. The last thing I want to see is him have some kind of meltdown and health scare over this.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:38:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#16]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By brass:

Looking back through this thread and the commentary about the videos, it seems things changed when he started the "Operation Podcast" and moved to a commercial studio.  He was doing great with the show and After files/Backstage.   Then he decided to try to please everybody by going really detailed into topics and having another narrating/editing session for that as a podcast also every week.  That's a crapload of reading/editing/reading/talking/editing/....      Maybe do a podcast once a month and a standard TWF video every other week or something.  If it goes back to ... well, "Fun",  where he's excited and enthused about the topic and wants you to be excited about it to and some humor is thrown in, those are the stellar episodes.   Some of them lately have been closer to Leonard Nemoy sort of dry "In Search Of..." presentation.  Not saying he's gone Spock, but the energy/tone/feel of the videos changed a bit that is hard to describe and "energy" is the best single adjective I can pick

I know we here in this forum nitpick everything, but trying to please everybody just ensures that everybody stays pissed off.   I hope he comes through and sets some schedule, even if it isn't every week, as long as it's not a sudden "woops, not today yet"  I'm ok with videos coming out different days if we're told well in advance.  Blocking out an hour to watch and then finding out that day it's not going to happen leaves you with 2 hours wasted because of the suddenly open one you need to fill instead of the video that was planned, and the lost hour when the video does show up.

View Quote

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Ive never watched operation podcast, and rarely an after files because they are so long.  Perhaps dumping Operation Podcadt, and doing an hour limit for aftefiles would be a good start.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:18:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ak4784] [#18]
There is a crazy woman accusing AJs brother(co owner of TWF, I forgot his name) of some pretty serious stuff. She is apparently his GF/Wife or ex. I watched a couple of the videos of the woman making these claims, she seems like a fucking psycho bitch. She was saying things about him kidnapping her/abuse etc.

If you dig around it can easily be found.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#19]
There is a crazy woman accusing AJs brother(co owner of TWF, I forgot his name) of some pretty serious stuff. She is apparently his GF/Wife or ex. I watched a couple of the videos of the woman making these claims, she seems like a fucking psycho bitch. She was saying things about him kidnapping her/abuse etc.

If you dig around it can easily be found.

View Quote

I just saw something about this today on reddit and didn't know what to make of it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Compilation: Creepy Classics!
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Compilation: UFOs & Aliens!
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Compilation: Time Travel stories!
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#24]
So a bunch of old vids squshed togather into one long vid by topic?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
So a bunch of old vids squshed togather into one long vid by topic?
View Quote

Yeah, I haven't watched any of them other than 10 min of the first compilation, I’ll wait for them to come out with new stuff
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:07:37 AM EDT
[#26]
The compilations are kind of neat. In between each episode AJ and hecklefish give a little background/context for them and what was going on in the channels life.

In the time traveler one hecklfish kept calling him fat from his covid weight.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#27]
The last one was worth rewatching, especially the John Titor part.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I noticed while on their website that they have job listings posted for the show - including researcher and video editor. I think that’s a good thing, hopefully AJ  can get a team together that allows him to get back to enjoying the creation of the show.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#30]
The Why Files is SLACKING
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Compilation: Weird & Bizarre stories!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Thought we were getting a new video this week after he phoned it in for a month
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:15:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: missme] [#34]
Checked on the Why Files Reddit, and someone from WF said it will be aired tonight (Fri) at 6 pm their time in Vegas.

The Annunaki episode is supposedly an hour long.

Not sure who this Reddit user is in the Why Files team, but he or she posted this explanation...

So here is what happened ... Annunaki Premieres tonight at 6pm PT
Good Morning - I am on less than 3 hours sleep but got attacked on my personal Instagram that this is the middle finger to those who don't pay .... and that ripped my soul apart after I had the most stressful day worried about AJ's HEALTH and the fact Jen and I knew he would kill himself to get this video up on Thursday. My first thought was delay to Friday, but we truly thought AJ would get through the software issues. I mean - it's AJ ... he can do anything with software.

I reacted to the negative comments .... not kind as my normal mode... and closed my page to private. He made all sorts of wild assumptions and it was WAY off and soooo negative. I had to come here.

It started with editor errors - Hecklefish was two different sizes depending on the scene. AJ won't allow anything to go out that isn't top quality so on his last pass to check video, starts to fix the issues and Premiere (our editing software) crashes ALL thru Wednesday night. AJ stays up grinding on it. The program continued to crash...

We FINALLY get it up to Patreon... it can go up there WAY quicker than on Youtube. Gino and our art guy watch it immediately and alert us there are two issues that need fixing before it goes live to millions. Aj is home by this time and there is no way Jen would let him DRIVE back to the studio with no sleep. He decides to ease his stress by setting a 6pm Premiere time for Friday. Allowing the people that do not pay, a commercial free option. Allowing him time to sleep and get it fixed. We are all about community so instead of a post we get a live premiere with everyone. WE LOVE WATCHING IT WITH THE MASSES for immediate reactions during the video.

This should have been an amazing night. We are heart broken, sleep deprived and sad.

I normally only focus on the positive as I know our good intentions in everything we do. We are in our 50s.. there is no game playing here. I hope this ends the spin into the drama. The only worthy take away here is AJ loves his community - and the negativity eats into us more than the positive can patch up. Please be kind... this was absolutely horrific for us.
View Quote

There are other threads there re the delay, with people expressing opinions either forgiving or critical, or a combo of both, so plenty of reading there.

I do agree with one commenter who noted it is better to under-promise and over-deliver, vs over-promise and under-deliver. I prefer to be pleasantly surprised vs feeling anticipation that is then thwarted by delays, however brief or necessary.

I think AJ errs on the side of over sharing with the WF audience, so him promising us a long awaited "annunaki" episode as his return put him in a bind, since, if they really have been able to work ahead and have a few episodes in the can ready to go, they could have just plugged one of those in for the expected return and get something out on time and then rolled out the annunaki episode on a later date after they worked the bugs out. It makes me wonder if they really did get any episodes done ahead of time.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I think that Victoria posting.  I don't know anything, I haven't watched in a good while.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#37]
New one

Annunaki | Gods from Planet Nibiru and the Makers of Man

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#38]
People that get mad over not getting videos are not worth the time to respond to
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, that was a long one but entertaining.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:28:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#40]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:50:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
I bet someone wants to fire hecklefish!

We'll get one of those yuge drama scenes of AJ giving him the boot. Heckle will throw a chair through the window as gerty sobs and slaps wildly at AJ before security throws them out.
View Quote

HAHAHA!!!

$4million to keep HF! I called it!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:57:38 AM EDT
[#42]

This guy has spent his life understanding the chopstick in mud writing of Sanskrit, realized he found a tablet describing the ark, and is fun to listen to, his humor is nice.  

View Quote

Irving Finkle has a lot of good vids on YouTube. He's worth watching.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Loved this one.

A few thoughts.

If Nibiru caused destruction on Earth from a close approach, wouldn't it also destroy Nibiru too?

If the Enunaki lived 200k years, wouldn't they have experienced many full orbits, and see every planet in the inner solar system, therefore not be surprised by a blue Earth?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:23:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#44]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By sq40:
Loved this one.

A few thoughts.

If Nibiru caused destruction on Earth from a close approach, wouldn't it also destroy Nibiru too?

If the Enunaki lived 200k years, wouldn't they have experienced many full orbits, and see every planet in the inner solar system, therefore not be surprised by a blue Earth?
View Quote

Well, look at it like this: what's actually possible, from a scientific standpoint, from the story?

Theoretically possible: An advanced species visited Earth, genetically modified hominids, giving us a great leap forward in intelligence as well as a lot of common myths relating to "gods."

Not possible: Literally everything else in the story.

There's so many things wrong, from a scientific or logical standpoint (or both), with the story of the Annunaki as to make it gibberish. I mean, let's just take a brief look at Nibiru from the standpoint of orbital mechanics.

--3600-year highly elliptical orbit, smaller than Earth (Mars-sized?), but with a thicker atmosphere, and a highly-advanced species evolved on it.  Come'on, man! The mere presence of such a body passing through the inner solar system would throw orbital mechanics out the window entirely. The solar system couldn't remain stable over any period of time, much less billions of years. A planet that size would have the same problems Mars has retaining an atmosphere, and would likely also be lacking a magnetic field, for the same reasons Mars does. Any atmosphere would liquify and rain down at the temperatures present when it's at the farthest point in it's orbit. And all of these problems are just a start.

Never mind the logical inconsistencies, like mining gold for 150,000 years while your planet dies. I guess it's dying REALLY, REALLY slowly. 15-foot tall godlike aliens banging and having kids with 5-foot tall human women, like a Doberman fucking a chihuahua. A super-advanced civilization with a dying planet, the ability to travel the stars, and the ability to modify living organisms showing up on a paradise world, and instead of just modifying themselves to stay here (if it was even required...the story seems to imply it wouldn't be), they mine a bunch of gold to take back and try to fix their shithole. Mining gold with slaves on Earth instead of just going to the asteroid belt ( 16 Psyche, Anyone? ). Mining gold with slaves when you could do it with autonomous machines with, apparently, particle beam weapons modified to be mining tools.

I mean, that's just a small sample of the logical holes you can find in this story, most of which are large enough to drive a truck through. It's entertaining, but not much more.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#46]

If you take out the "Nibiru" aka Planet 9 (formerly 10) and some of the more detailed elements, it does track with our time line.  Sitchin was too eager to have a new theory that "Explains It All" without thinking it though first.   His work got many people interested but most of his stuff falls apart when looked at from common sense like your questions.

Did "Somebody" bump humans up in evolution?  Seems likely, there are changes in DNA that can't be explained by natural mutation from radiation.  

Goes back to the WF Orcs episode where human population was down in the 4 or 5 digits globally for at least one period.  The amount of time we took to go from hunter gatherer to agrarian to technologically evolved is a blink in the span of humans on Earth.  In the extra milion+ years, we could have been at this tech level or higher before, just not making it into space and thus sealing our fate.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:
Loved this one.

A few thoughts.

If you take out the "Nibiru" aka Planet 9 (formerly 10) and some of the more detailed elements, it does track with our time line.  Sitchin was too eager to have a new theory that "Explains It All" without thinking it though first.   His work got many people interested but most of his stuff falls apart when looked at from common sense like your questions.

Did "Somebody" bump humans up in evolution?  Seems likely, there are changes in DNA that can't be explained by natural mutation from radiation.  

Goes back to the WF Orcs episode where human population was down in the 4 or 5 digits globally for at least one period.  The amount of time we took to go from hunter gatherer to agrarian to technologically evolved is a blink in the span of humans on Earth.  In the extra milion+ years, we could have been at this tech level or higher before, just not making it into space and thus sealing our fate.

Makes sense. Sitchin had a hit and had to stretch his material into a number if new books. So, leaving that part out, yeah, I can see some great ideas in there, especially around boosted evolution.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Finally getting around to watching this.  The flickering they put in every frame that isn't aj is really annoying.

Its a vignette with heavy flickering overlayed.  I’m sure its just me but I hate it

Episode is honestly kind of boring so far.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Long episode with little substance.  A theory/story with so many holes its hardly worth acknowledging.  My wife thought it was awful and shes been reading/watching videos about this stuff over the past few weeks so she was excited to watch.  

I hate bashing on episodes because I generally really like the channel but its not holding my attention like the older stuff.   Hecklefish kinda sucks now
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#49]
I'd imagine gravity would be a bigger problem - and not just as it pertains to orbital mechanics.

How could a 15' being, evolved on a world with lower gravity (thus, the ability to become so large/tall), ever even stand up on Earth?

That alone is reason to call bullshit, let alone the other factors already mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Martian Mysteries | The Phobos Incident, Monoliths, and Ancient Ruins
Page / 20
The Why Files (Page 19 of 20)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top