Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
What did you print today? (Page 89 of 90)
Page / 90
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:51:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Klee:

I have really good luck with glue sticks, works great on PLA, PETG and CF PETG.

Of course I just jinxed myself saying that.
View Quote

Textured PEI makes glue stick completely unnecessary with all those filaments.

Some PETG will stick TOO well to PEI so a quick spray of windex solves that. I keep two plates...one for PLA, one for PETG. Otherwise identical plates but prevents me from having to clean them. Aint nobody got time for that! Honestly the only two brands that I've found that need it is Numakers and Sunlu.  Atomic, Prusament, Polymaker, and a few others don't seem to have the overkill sticking issue.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:16:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#2]
Been printing a ton of these.

This is why I say brims are almost always completely unnecessary.

These panels are 1.75mm thick and 100mm tall. Some fairly thick fuzzy skin to boot.

Zero brim required.

PLA on textured PEI.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/165887/1000019241-3189504.jpg

Shop light mounts for hanging shop lights in my storage trailer. ASA to handle the heat.

View Quote

Heat?

What part is getting hot?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#6]

The trailer. Closed up, semi trailers are solar ovens. Petg would almost certainly work fine, but I'm out at the moment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/165887/1000019241-3189504.jpg

Shop light mounts for hanging shop lights in my storage trailer. ASA to handle the heat.

Heat?

What part is getting hot?

The trailer. Closed up, semi trailers are solar ovens. Petg would almost certainly work fine, but I'm out at the moment.

Gotcha. Was trying to figure out if you meant that or something from the light fixture.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Several of my old delivery trucks had translucent fiberglass roof panels and could get up to 125 during the summer 😬
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#9]
This box from Printables is good to go if you need a custom size.

Attachment Attached File

https://www.printables.com/model/540605-parametric-box-v2-single-clasp/files
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:28:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Striker] [#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#11]
You should make the FJ logo flush with the top if the cap, and then print it that way facing the bed if you can. Will give it a nice finished look.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#12]
a few more small replacement parts for the upgrade on the printer.
And the fun one was a hex shaped parts holder.  I finished 1 of 2
and the 2nd one is in progress.   I should have printed out these
before starting the project.

here is the stl for it
https://www.printables.com/model/171383-less-thin-hexagon-parts-tray

Now that the cable wraps arrived for the printer I can get back to task.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:04:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#14]
Originally Posted By Striker:
you kinda lost me. lol
if I make the letters flush I won't be able to change the colour...will I?
View Quote

Sure you can. Just put in a color change command manually or in Prusa Slicer just set up a multi component part and assign them each a different color. I did it all the time before I got my MMU3.

I did 9 of these. No MMU at the time.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#16]
you kinda lost me. lol
if I make the letters flush I won't be able to change the colour...will I?
View Quote
Here is how to do it easily in Bambu or Orca Slicer.
Make Flush Text With Bambu Studio

Another way is to do it in your CAD program, Cut out the letters -.04 on the model.  Then Extrude that profile up .04 but make it a new model.  Then export both items as a 3mf.  When you bring it into your slicer it should keep them together, and you will be able to set the colors to each.  

Or you can do what I did with the box above, print the letters separately and bang them in with a hammer.
I did cause I was using 2 types of filament. you will need to make the letter hole size .04 bigger to work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By PC-Tech:
Here is how to do it easily in Bambu or Orca Slicer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLolrSFryyA

Another way is to do it in your CAD program, Cut out the letters -.04 on the model.  Then Extrude that profile up .04 but make it a new model.  Then export both items as a 3mf.  When you bring it into your slicer it should keep them together, and you will be able to set the colors to each.  

Or you can do what I did with the box above, print the letters separately and bang them in with a hammer.
I did cause I was using 2 types of filament. you will need to make the letter hole size .04 bigger to work.
View Quote

You should  be able to mix filament fine unless one of them was PETG. Most of the others play together fairly well as long as you don't hurry the nozzle temp too fast.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Did a bit more on the screwdriver build.  Scrapped the "sparkle black" prints & reprinted in grey ASA.  I have the tinned copper buss wire that will get wrapped on the core & a packet of Keystone 209 nickel plated steel battery contacts.  They looked to be easier to work with, & easier to source,  than the usual copper finger gasket material.

Did a test fitup with the contacts & revised the contactor component dimensions for a bit better fit.  

The current contactor ring with 7 contacts

Attachment Attached File

fit on the coil core

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I was looking for tight enough for decent contact, but not so tight as to cause excessive drag.

The contactor slip fits into the inner cover tube that has tracks to guide the coil movement & prevent rotation.  Screws will secure it in place.

View of coil & inner cover with one inner cover section removed (base not shown).  Coil has a lower extension with rails to maintain alignment when fully raised.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Experimenting with 3D print TPU Link Belt for my drill press. It will drive a 1/2 inch
Forstner through a 2x4 with no slippage but I haven't tested it on steel or with bigger bits. If nothing else it might get you by when in a hurry and not wanting to go buy another belt right away. Certainly much cheaper than linked belts at HF or Ebay. Probably could have scaled it down for a little better fit on the pulley. I will probably need to remove a couple more links after it stretches. Printed on X1C 100% infill GiantArm TPU 95a.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

1/2, 3/8 and 5/8 but in Fusion it can be scaled to whatever size you need.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:45:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Striker] [#23]
Latest creation I did yesterday was a pivoting desk mount for an iPad. Now I can surf Arfcom while working/ gaming at my desk.

Don't know why they aren't working

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#24]
First print using my new drier.

I spent a couple of days running all my open rolls through the drier and resealing them back up.

Already I can see the difference in the print quality since the last time I used this roll.

Oh and I forgot the glue-stick on the glass plate, seems to be sticking just fine so far on the bare glass.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:35:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Klee] [#26]
My telescope project, a focuser base fo a Kine Optics HC-2 low profile focuser.

I found it online as a .F3D file for fusion 360 so I had to install Fusion 360 and edit the base curvature to fit the tube. None of the converter programs/sites would convert it to a solidworks compatible file without an error.

Turns out my Autodesk account is still good so I installed the free version.

Turned out really nice.

It's a prototype just for fitment purposes, I might have to adjust the height depending on where the dimensions need to be.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Printed up some fork caps for my 86 FJ1200 after losing one on the highway..the bike is red and white so why not.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135/433685394_10159819167865817_531126661827-3191495.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135/433653909_10159819167655817_818603289988-3191497.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135/432787482_10159822499215817_807988723599-3191498.jpg

Then spending an hour or so riding it I thought..what else could I make for fork caps and came up with this..

I'm going to paint the "nuts" silver to make them look more like metal..
SWMBO'd says I have to much time on my hands..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135/20240418_192715_1_-3191500.jpg
View Quote

Love those bikes.  My dad has one that needs to get un-mothballed, but I promised myself I wouldn't ride again till my kids are old enough to fend for themselves.

It does seem like a missed opportunity to change that FJ to FJB though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By GonnaNeedaBiggerBoat:

Love those bikes.  My dad has one that needs to get un-mothballed, but I promised myself I wouldn't ride again till my kids are old enough to fend for themselves.

View Quote

He is in Canada. He isn't quite as invested in FJB as some of us.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GonnaNeedaBiggerBoat:

It's FJT up there, but it's best not to offer, since I hear FJT likes that sort of thing.

Back on topic - printed one of those print-in-place snake things on my 3 day old Qidi Q1 Pro on super fast mode after doing a bunch of acro-bin-alikes on it. Like all the new printers, it shakes like a washing machine at full speed, so I need to rearrange things for it to be able to live on the floor, but it's amazing that it can crank out a complex snake in 2 hours, compared to 7 on my old Ender 3 Pro w the SKR board.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Just ordered another AMS.

Now I have 8 color capability.

Printed these little dessicant holders for them. Pretty neat.

Nevermind my wet ASA.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:07:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: homeyclaus] [#31]

Nevermind my wet ASA.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/1000010339-3195240.jpg
View Quote

If I had that I swear my daughter's designs would switch colors so often half the filament would end up used in the switchovers.

I'd like a thread about ASA, and also so I can give you a hard time about the stringing on your prints of the desiccant holders

Sorry, ETA the on topic: I figured out how to switch filaments on the Qidi without wasting so much filament. Printed a couple of calibration tests on it so see what the slicer settings do.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By homeyclaus:

If I had that I swear my daughter's designs would switch colors so often half the filament would end up used in the switchovers.

I'd like a thread about ASA, and also so I can give you a hard time about the stringing on your prints of the desiccant holders

Sorry, ETA the on topic: I figured out how to switch filaments on the Qidi without wasting so much filament. Printed a couple of calibration tests on it so see what the slicer settings do.
View Quote

One of my first prints was this awesome articulating poop chute pipe. Dumps purged filament into a 3 gallon bucket.

I got this printer like what? 3 weeks ago now and the bucket is almost half full already.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:51:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Nevermind my wet ASA.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/1000010339-3195240.jpg
View Quote
Well look at you Mr Fancy Pants. I just take the packet out of the filament packaging and drop it between the filament feeds in the AMS.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By O_Guiness:
Experimenting with 3D print TPU Link Belt for my drill press. It will drive a 1/2 inch
Forstner through a 2x4 with no slippage but I haven't tested it on steel or with bigger bits. If nothing else it might get you by when in a hurry and not wanting to go buy another belt right away. Certainly much cheaper than linked belts at HF or Ebay. Probably could have scaled it down for a little better fit on the pulley. I will probably need to remove a couple more links after it stretches. Printed on X1C 100% infill GiantArm TPU 95a.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/475357/20240420_101244_1__jpg-3193241.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/475357/20240420_104629_1__jpg-3193244.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/475357/LinkBelt_PNG-3193256.JPG
View Quote

Really curious to see if that holds up.  I have very little faith in 3D printed stuff used in real life applications.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By tnriverluver:

Really curious to see if that holds up.  I have very little faith in 3D printed stuff used in real life applications.
View Quote

Not everything is as abusive on material as guns.

I have 3D printed parts that get hard use and hold up just fine.

I have a shower want holder that gets used every single day, pulled on, pryed on, and has for 3 years now. Still perfect.

I have custom tools I made in 2021 that still hold up perfect.

Proper material and print settings go a long way. Generally people choose the wrong material for the job or don't k ow how to lay the part out for proper strength in the proper areas. Having those right go a long way.

I have cargo rack mounts on my bicycle that have held a 40lb rack for thousands of miles over bumps, pot holes, and constant vibration. They are prestine. 3D printed them, and they live in a hot garage and seen 110°+.

That said 3D printing isn't a silver bullet and some things are simply too much. But it doesn't seem unreasonable to have these hold up, even if not strengthening them up and tweaking the design some.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By O_Guiness:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/475357/20240420_101244_1__jpg-3193241.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/475357/20240420_104629_1__jpg-3193244.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/475357/LinkBelt_PNG-3193256.JPG

I got the idea to try it from this video. It didn't work for his flat belt but so far the v-link belt seems to hold up good enough, at least when drilling wood.
Can you 3D print a functional lathe belt from TPU?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:38:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SandHillsHillbilly] [#38]

I feel like if I tried to ride that I would get screwed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Leg extensions for the Lack enclosure.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#40]
…and testing new filament guide & feed through.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#43]

One of my first prints was this awesome articulating poop chute pipe. Dumps purged filament into a 3 gallon bucket.

I got this printer like what? 3 weeks ago now and the bucket is almost half full already.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By homeyclaus:

There are molds you can buy online for castings your filament poop into various objects. Using your wife's unwanted toaster oven outside.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Kharn:

There are molds you can buy online for castings your filament poop into various objects. Using your wife's unwanted toaster oven outside.

Kharn
View Quote

Instead of throwing it away. If you print with the same type of filament then recycle it. Good enough for making prototypes. Same the good filaments for final part.

Plastic Grinder
https://www.printables.com/model/738194-micro-plastic-shredder

Filament extruder
https://artme-3d.shop/products/hardware-diy-kit-original-desktop-filament-extruder-mk2-5
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:

Instead of throwing it away. If you print with the same type of filament then recycle it. Good enough for making prototypes. Same the good filaments for final part.

Plastic Grinder
https://www.printables.com/model/738194-micro-plastic-shredder

Filament extruder
https://artme-3d.shop/products/hardware-diy-kit-original-desktop-filament-extruder-mk2-5
View Quote

wouldn't you need to do a LOT of printing to make that cost effective?  that extruder is 700 dollars, that's 35 KG of filament to recover before you can start to creep into positive terriroty and that's before considering time/effort etc..

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes true but consider using the recycled filament to print prototypes and iterations. Save your good filament for printing final part.

Definitely not for people that print from models grabbed off the Internet.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Got the second AMS set up.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:28:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bionicmonkey] [#48]
Had to make a holster due to the unique shape of my glonk esp with the picatinny and light attached

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Interestingly this allows the frame to fit snugly and correctly with or withought the light, rail, or slide even

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bionicmonkey:
Had to make a holster due to the unique shape of my glonk esp with the picatinny and light attached

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56039/1000002988_jpg-3202964.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56039/1000002989_jpg-3202965.JPG

Interestingly this allows the frame to fit snugly and correctly with or withought the light, rail, or slide even

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56039/1000002990_jpg-3202966.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56039/1000002991_jpg-3202967.JPG
View Quote

That does not look comfortable at all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 90
What did you print today? (Page 89 of 90)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top