Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 5:55:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#1]
I just realized this print would have been a good test of the AMS system for putting multiple filaments on one print.  The H on the pad could be done in another color as the last layer, without a ton of switching back and forth, which is very wasteful of filament.

Edit: underway now with white topper to black tile.  Pretty easy to paint areas with different colors, it detects the edges of things and you can "fill" or several other options.
Attachment Attached File

Edit 2:  Failed in first layer.  It gave me an error about not being able to read the LIDAR.  I think the black filament in particular might be either non-reflective enough, or too shiny, for it to get a good reading on the first layer.  It had also detected the spaghetti but after I had stopped it by hand from the slicer video screen.  I did not allow it to calibrate the bed levelling or flow control in the first try.  Usually this was working out okay when it had already done at least one print with each specific filament.

Trying again now with full calibration steps.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
That black PLA+ is definitely a problem.  I made several tries at that landing pad plate.  It was giving me errors "filament exposure metering failed because laser reflection is too weak" and then failing on the first level, with or without the starting calibrations.  So I ditched that stuff and ordered some black eSun PLA+ to see if that is any better.

It's sad because where the layer is down, it is damn perfect (in my limited experience).  Very uniform and fused together so you can't pull it apart.

I am busy this week and won't be able to do much more.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Received my package from BL today.  Very nice service, ordered Sunday, holiday Monday, and received today (UPS).
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I've been seeing in discord that it appears black filament causes problem for the lidar. Hopefully Bambu is getting data and figuring out how to fine tune it. I use black a lot. Hope mine ships soon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 12:35:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Back in action.  I had been getting errors trying to load new filament.  Kept failing on the "extract old filament" task, even though I swore there wasn't anything in any of the PTFE tubes.  It also said that could be caused by an extruder clog... so I took pretty much the whole thing apart.

The BL wiki has videos that were pretty close, but it would be nice if they could reshoot the videos with the production machine.  For example, the extruder cover is clear now, just makes everything look different.  The large main extruder gear also seems to be secured on the other side from where it is shown on the video.  There's also a little base for a spring that falls out, that wasn't mentioned on the video.  That was a head-scratcher for a few minutes.  Otherwise it is just a bunch of tiny screws and wire connectors (not ridiculously tiny, but my eyes aren't great).  And a little awkward removing and installing from the print head.  Sometimes reaching in the top, sometimes from the front.

Sure enough, there was a 1 CM length of that black crap in the extruder.  Must have broken off the tip when extracting in general.

Seems to be all fixed, just did a little test with my trusty eSun red PLA+.
Tomorrow I will print the BL spools to mount the new filament I got from BL last week.  It seems to work the best (not having tweaked settings for other PLA), and I figured BL would have any problems sorted with their own black filament.  Wish they made PLA+.

New slicer version is out.

So overall, this was not very appliance-like, but not too bad.  Happy that I can do it as needed, or replace nozzle without screwing up the printer again.  It's a pretty cool little design in there, you can tell they tried to make it friendly inside.  However, many of the gears and outer casings are plastic, so it wasn't a great feeling for really long-term use.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Got the shipping notice for the X1 carbon on Friday. A little miffed they started requiring signatures but given the reports of heavily damaged boxes and broken glass doors contained within that I've seen in the discord I can understand it. The thing I'm not looking forward to is re-spooling my atomic filaments if I need to. I've heard Atomic spools don't fit in the AMS but then Chris Pirillo posted a picture on twitter of his AMS using an Atomic spool so I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By marmelstien:
Got the shipping notice for the X1 carbon on Friday. A little miffed they started requiring signatures but given the reports of heavily damaged boxes and broken glass doors contained within that I've seen in the discord I can understand it. The thing I'm not looking forward to is re-spooling my atomic filaments if I need to. I've heard Atomic spools don't fit in the AMS but then Chris Pirillo posted a picture on twitter of his AMS using an Atomic spool so I don't know.
View Quote
I would choke puppies if I had to respool filament.. I HATE IT...
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:34:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#8]
View Quote

Atomics too big for it?  I saw there were sabots for lack of a better term available for smaller spools, to bring the diameter up to what is needed for the AMS.

Today I have been printing out spools to put the BL filament on, all going smoothly.

Another item added this week, I have a Yolink power plug, so I can turn the printer on and off remotely from my phone.  This way I can activate the printer without going to that room, or turn it off from bed after it finishes a print later at night.  I need to test the power consumption in all phases of operation, it always seems to be running a fan even if idle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:29:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marmelstien] [#9]
yeah i think the max width is 72mm on the AMS and atomic is 73mm if i recall from a community compiled chart I saw. of course naturally I'm going to test it out then be disappointed if i can't do multi color with atomic.

ETA: It may be a spool height thing. Apparently some people get Atomic to work with the AMS lid open
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#10]
yeah i think the max width is 72mm on the AMS and atomic is 73mm if i recall from a community compiled chart I saw. of course naturally I'm going to test it out then be disappointed if i can't do multi color with atomic.

ETA: It may be a spool height thing. Apparently some people get Atomic to work with the AMS lid open
View Quote

In this discussion there is a link to a google sheets list of spool compatibility
https://old.reddit.com/r/BambuLab/comments/xjo8mb/spool_types/
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I got mine yesterday. Despite a filament clog between the extruder and hotend already it's pretty awesome. I'm excited to really get to use it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Got mine yesterday. With speed comes noise for sure Just printing out some of the bits and bobs like the scraper and a poop bucket ect. but so far I like it. Today on discord someone came out with a lid spacer for the AMS if your spools are slightly too large. he has a version for ~203-204mm and a version for up to 206. You lose some of the sealed nature of the AMS but since its just a couple of friction fit pieces its easy to remove if you intend to use the ams for a passive dry box for a print or two.

Had a piece of filament break in between the AMS and the buffer but I was just able to unplug the PTFE from the AMS and pull it back through.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:03:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#13]
Getting ready to move into a larger shop, I saw a guy reviewing the 16" square plastic pegboard panels from the big box stores.  $5.50 each for 16" square, ridiculous!.  So I said to myself, "Self, I could print those in 8"x8" squares for like $2 each!"

Bus seriously, I have been printing multiple pegboard sections, so I used to to check the speed settings.  I really can't tell much difference between slow, normal, and fast.  Very slightly less smooth as as the speed goes up, but very minimal.  Supports do get harder to remove at the higher speeds.  For the fastest speed (ludicrous mode) it gave me an error on the first layer scan.  Since this is almost the whole print bed being covered, this is quite a test of the first layer.  It actually looked possible, just some small crufty parts, so I left it continue.  I did end it in the 3rd or 4th layer since the cruft was accumulating, just kind of adding little pebbles.  I didn't want to risk a big blowout that would gum up the extruder again.  But damn does it haul ass on the long back and forth moves when it isn't avoiding the holes.
Clockwise from top left:
Slow - 6.5 hours
Normal - 3:15
Fast - 2:15
Fastest - 1:30 (failed)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Just bought 13kg of filament... guess I'm back in the game for good
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#15]
If I remember correctly there is a bug in the firmware that doesn't like you changing speed within like the first 3-5 layers unless new firmware hard been pushed out since I saw that. And I also had a problem with chuff and just poor extrusion when i sped up the purge bucket. It seems to me when you switch there is something its not taking into account when you change speeds. which makes me wonder if the current firmware is bugged or they did some voodoo magic with the benchy file to make it come out so good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:21:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#16]
First successful multicolor print, back to my drone helipad project.  This is cool as hell.  I can't see doing too much of the big multicolor prints, it takes forever with the changeover, and so much lost filament.  But this kind of thing adds 90% of the ability with only 2 filament changes.  
Did most of the structure in red, including the red parts of level n-1.  Switch to white, do the white parts of n-1 and n.  Then switch back to red to finish level n.  White is two levels thick for good color.  The edge is a tiny bit fuzzy in red and white at the circle where the filament is laid down and changes direction, I'm sure some work in the slicer could fix that by making a better boundary between the two.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:01:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#17]
I sold the last of my 3 other printers on Sunday

Finished off the helipad project.  Pretty good quality, except the white plate was a bit rough, I think the white filament might be a little wet.  You can see vague color differences, the only 2 layers of red on white is vaguely lighter than the thick red, and the two layers of white on black is a bit darker than the thick white section.

Filament changeover takes about 2 minutes, so it's really not too slow.  I had one failure when the black did not spool back when it was being extracted, so it piled up inside the AMS and caused an error.  Once rewinding the spool properly, on retrying the AMS retracted the last couple inches and changed properly.  Print resumed properly.  So it was both a correct error message and troubleshooting instruction, and resuming from the error.

Attachment Attached File

Edit: Eww, the lower left red part looks bad, it's just the light shine
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Poop chute that will work for my setup.  Largest size print yet, although it's very thin and light walls.  But this was 95% of the width of the printer.  Really nice quality, including the overhang in the logo.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Printed these 90* overhangs without supports, they lost one line but worked fine structurally.  Much easier than cleaning out supports from a bunch of other nooks and crannies on this print.

Is there a way in slicers to tell it to leave out certain supports, other than the option to have supports only from the build plate?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Kickstarter bonus is available now on the BL store.  Kickstarter supporters got a code a while back.  3 hotend/nozzles and 1 extruder for $1 plus ship.  They're pretty smart, approx 99% of people will spend another $49 to get free shipping.  I did, lots of other spare parts, the PEI sheet, and some filament.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I just saw that WhamBam is coming out with a build plate for the Bamboo. I've been very happy with the WhamBam flex plate I bought for my Ender3.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
Printed these 90* overhangs without supports, they lost one line but worked fine structurally.  Much easier than cleaning out supports from a bunch of other nooks and crannies on this print.

Is there a way in slicers to tell it to leave out certain supports, other than the option to have supports only from the build plate?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13081/IMG_20220928_215152_jpg-2543279.JPG
View Quote

I do believe there is a button for a support blocker but I can't tell you where to find it in Bambu studio at this moment
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#23]
There are some bridging options but nothing on supports I could find in the advanced menus.  I'd like to just click on things in the preview screen and delete them.

My slicier/viewer has been running very slow the last couple days, when there is a print going.  I can't tell if it is the slicer or my computer in general.  There was a printer firmware update a couple days ago, but no change to the slicer for a week or so.

Looking at projects coming up, I want a bigger version of the X1C.  Bambu Lab please work on the X1C XL.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:37:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: marmelstien] [#24]
Found it. Right click the model and there should be an option for support blocker then you can select its shape and it will lay down the primitive for you to move and resize to your liking.

ETA: done on the prepare tab
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks, I hadn't seen that menu at all
Maybe I should read the manual sometime.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 8:36:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#26]
I got my BL package with parts and some other stuff pretty quickly.  Their shipping and parts department are doing well.  I am trying to get at least one of every part, and then multiples, as an effort to hedge against BL failing and leaving an unsupported printer.  

Someone on Printables finally designed little dessicant pods for the AMS that can use random granules.  I need to find my temp/humidity meter and put it in the AMS.  I'm still working with the original dessicant from the stock parts.

I was sad to find the IIIDMax filament I bought for cheap is on narrower spools that don't work with the BL AMS.  Can still be used as-is by mounting the spool on the single holder.

I've been in heavy production mode, 100% infill printing shelf brackets for some simple/cheap 2x4 shelving for the new house pantry.  I've been gone from the house, so it's nice to initiate a 9-hour print when leaving the house, and monitor throughout the day with the app.  Maybe other printers do this too but it's just been great for me.  Print can be paused or stopped by app, and I also have a Yolink power plug so I can kill power to the printer if needed.  
Here was today's work in progress, then the final, six half brackets all on one plate.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I was sad to find the IIIDMax filament I bought for cheap is on narrower spools that don't work with the BL AMS.  Can still be used as-is by mounting the spool on the single holder.
View Quote

That database I posted earlier says the IIIdmax stuff should work
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 12:21:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#28]
Correction to the above, I was able to get the iiidmax narrower spools to work, each AMS slot has some guiding fins to keep the spool centered, the narrow roll can run on the inside of them, when the wider spools go on the outside.  Just takes a little more attention when installing the spool.

Had two filament-out fails today, both of which was able to continue by replacing a new filament (any color) in the same slot.  Print resumed nicely.  Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to tell it, either by app or the touchscreen, to use another filament already in the AMS.  That seems like an obvious thing to have, especially by the app so you can be away from the printer like I was.  Since I had badly misread how much green filament I had left on my 9-hour shelf bracket print, I wasted most of the day.  I gave it the white filament so I could easily see the dividing line.  Restarted with the white exactly as if it never had a pause.  Apparently the same can be done for a power outage.

The single white layer on the big flat part made a really nice translucent effect with the green below it.  In the last picture, the lower-right piece has some marking on the base from the BL logos on the build plate, since I am close to maxing out the overall size with these multiple prints.  These are not complete brackest since I didn't have enough time tonight to complete the prints after restarting them, but I let it continue with the white for a while to make sure it would work.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#29]
It wouldn't surprise me if it will be a feature coming to be able to tell it to switch to a different spool if you have a run out. Been happy with mine. I ordered the textured plate and like it worlds better than the cool plate sticker. Only supposed down side is you can't run the flow calibration with it. They claim the results would be inaccurate/ unreadable. I've only had 1 type of filament it doesn't seem to like and that would be some silk pink PLA from an unmarked spool I've had laying around for a while. It comes out a little rough and with gaps/ under extrusion and over all seems a little bit weaker than the stuff I normally use. So I'm more willing the blame the filament than I am the printer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Started having a number of bed adhesion issues... found that the cool plate's sticker had started to bubble up in the center.  Had one hilarious failure where my 4 shelf brackets ended up bouncing around the build volume, eventually knocking off the front cover of the hot end, which cause an error enough for it to stop.  One bracket was under the build plate, the other was perched up against the top cover (I nearly missed it but could only find 3 of 4 brackets!).  So it lasted 6-7 weeks of heavy but not constant work.

Instead of using the provided replacement stickers, I tried out the BL textured PEI plate that I bought a week or so ago.  Printed the first couple on the regular cool plate settings, worked fine.  But then found the plate modifier in the slicer and now printing with the PEI presets.  Seems to work fine too.  I did crack open the top cover as per BL instructions... unappealing, both aesthetically and a strike against the appliance mindset.  They need to find an automated way to do that.

Printed and installed the Gridfinity top plate that fits the X1C in front of the AMS.  Pretty secure just locking on to the top cover's handle, a nice design.  However, with the PEI plate I really have no need for it, since I don't really need the alcohol spray bottle and surface coating bottle I was using on the original build plate...  I don't store tools there since the printer is up high and the AMS/top cover is out of easy reach without a step up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#31]
How accurately does it print? Significantly more accurate than an untuned prusa/ender? I'd like to find one where I didn't have to create large tolerances for parts to fit together.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Have you tried any multimaterial prints using tpu?
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:40:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#33]
Originally Posted By Ragnar_Lothbrok:
How accurately does it print? Significantly more accurate than an untuned prusa/ender? I'd like to find one where I didn't have to create large tolerances for parts to fit together.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No actual measurements, but I'd say it is obviously better than the first cut on any of the self-build printers... but if you're worried on accuracy, you'll be tweaking any printer there is.  As for which retains its accuracy, also unknown.

Originally Posted By 2W0X1:
Have you tried any multimaterial prints using tpu?

Being adventuresome, I have tried both PLA and PLA+.

Not seeing anyone successfully doing that yet
https://old.reddit.com/r/BambuLab/comments/v49tc1/can_someone_try_tpu_in_the_ams_please/

PEI plate works great.  I already had is easy by ignoring the glue stick in favor of the special micro fluid, but PEI is even easier.  You do have to remember to switch to the PEI preset in the slicer, or else you'll get this:
Attachment Attached File

These look a little too Russian, but I was abusing the filament-out system in order to use up the last of a couple spools.  Just wish you could use the AMS to select the next filament, versus needing to put the new roll into the old slot.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:19:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ragnar_Lothbrok] [#34]

No actual measurements, but I'd say it is obviously better than the first cut on any of the self-build printers... but if you're worried on accuracy, you'll be tweaking any printer there is.  As for which retains its accuracy, also unknown.

View Quote

Doesn't the printer measure extrusion widths and pick the best one based on AI before each print? I've seen one youtuber that claimed it made a big difference in accuracy, things like leggos and prints with interfacing parts were much more hassle free to design.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#35]
The AMS Hub was released, you can join 4 individual AMS units together, so you can have up to 16 colors in a print.

Everything else going smoothly...
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#36]

Doesn't the printer measure extrusion widths and pick the best one based on AI before each print? I've seen one youtuber that claimed it made a big difference in accuracy, things like leggos and prints with interfacing parts were much more hassle free to design.
View Quote

What its doing is measuring values for linear advance. So its basically adjusting flow to be as even as possible through its acceleration if I understand linear advance right.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Is there a way to export files from Fusion 360 directly to Bambu Studio without having to save the files on the computer?

I could directly upload files from Fusion to Cura without having to save the files in a folder on the computer.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I pre-order mine.  let's see how long it takes.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By PC-Tech:
I pre-order mine.  let's see how long it takes.
View Quote

Reddit groups have been reporting 6-8 weeks for the full system and ams.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 2W0X1:

Reddit groups have been reporting 6-8 weeks for the full system and ams.
View Quote

Hopefully by Xmas. This printer is the only thing that has come out since the Prusa MK2, which appears to be worth the upgrade.  I wish it had a bigger print area, like the Prusa XL, but I haven't had much I could not do with the MK2.  The Prusa XL does seem promising, but at twice the cost, I just can't justify it for what I do.  

I am still not sure about the whole cloud-slicing thing. What if they go under, or worse, go woke? They could train an AI to prevent the slicing of parts they deemed naughty.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#41]
New BL blog post today says they are delivering any order up to today by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#42]
BL teased a new product called P1P today...  Reddit thinks it is a simplified printer: mhttps://old.reddit.com/r/BambuLab/comments/yuh43t/leaks_on_new_bambu_printer_i_posted_on_the/
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 10:31:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#43]
Official teaser.  I'm kind of envious of the customizable side panels!
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#44]
If you wanted to print different materials, will the printer pause to warmup/cool down the nozzle to a new temp between filament changes?
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#45]
If you wanted to print different materials, will the printer pause to warmup/cool down the nozzle to a new temp between filament changes?
View Quote

Haven't done it but believe it does... slicer codes the material for each part, which includes the temp and other things like flow speed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 6:22:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#46]
View Quote
Get a 2 nozzle hot end.  I've never had good results from a 2 into 1 hot end. Even more so I'd your two filaments use vastly different temps or are different materials.

Fwiw this looks like a good printer. Keep in mind you will NOT be able to upgrade it to their lidar whatever on the X1/X1C. It says that under the faq at the bottom.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Folks need to be clear whether they're talking about the X1C or P1P.  The P1P is definitely bare bones... not even that great a deal at the basic $700 since that does NOT have an AMS with it.  Even though their advertising is heavily based on the multicolor prints.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Folks need to be clear whether they're talking about the X1C or P1P.  The P1P is definitely bare bones... not even that great a deal at the basic $700 since that does NOT have an AMS with it.  Even though their advertising is heavily based on the multicolor prints.
View Quote

Just incase they missed the thread title they read before clicking?
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 7:44:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#49]
As arfcom's #1 Bambu Lab fanboy, I'm okay with this turning into the official Arfcom BL fanboy topic
Just be clear in your posts which ones you are talking about.

Black Friday sale on BL site has their filament for 20-25% off.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#50]
A few of the influencers put up unboxing vids today.  

The price point is going to be hard to pass up.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top