Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:36:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Postal0311] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

JUMPBACK5 for more off.

Sadly, their checkout doesn't work for me.

They have emailed me 7 times telling me that I left items in my cart, but they won't let me check out.  Their system won't let me log in either.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 2:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Klee] [#3]
Originally Posted By Spade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC36sE5Yxfg

This seems quite interesting.
View Quote

OMG!!!

How in the hell did I miss this thread until today?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
A clever man might print this in wax and bronze vacuum cast the final parts

https://machinablewax.com/wax-filament/

View Quote

What about lost PLA and cast it in aluminum?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Beer cans to buzz gun
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Some more progress over the weekend. The receiver is mostly complete so I've moved on to the barrel cluster.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:

Try a different browser.
View Quote

Tried 3 browsers on 2 different computers and a phone.  On all of them it would not load the payment processor.  To add insult to injury they emailed me 8 times telling me that I left things in my cart and I should check out.

Screw em, I'll buy from someone else.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:49:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#10]
Originally Posted By Postal0311:

Tried 3 browsers on 2 different computers and a phone.  On all of them it would not load the payment processor.  To add insult to injury they emailed me 8 times telling me that I left things in my cart and I should check out.

Screw em, I'll buy from someone else.
View Quote

RTB has BCG's for $56
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:

RTB has BCG's for $56
View Quote

That is who we are talking about.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought 6 complete BCGs from Bear Creek for 434 shipped. Figured I would sell the carrier, clip and gas rings.
The bolt/FP/cam all get hacked up, so there's no $ to recover here when the project goes sideways.
They arrived in like 2 days no drama.

I had issues with the  Schuyler Arms website for the barrels. It didn't like my AMEX, then typoed my visa card so it locked me out for an hour. Got the order placed and it was radio silence for a week or so then they shipped.
total for 6 12.5" AeroPrecision barrels was $375. These I can flip fairly easily to recover some money if needed.

Biiiig bearing came from Ali Express for like $65. Fits fine.

Lots of misc orders for things. I'm in it for at least 1000 total so far.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#13]
TAG!  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:46:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ozymandiaz] [#14]
For those building this beast, I'm testing a 1" OD X .25" wall aluminum tube instead of the solid 1" round bar for the center rod of the barrel cluster. It seems to work just as well and cuts a noticeable amount of weight. Titanium tube would probably work even better but ratchets up the cost quite a bit. Easier to drill the mounting holes accurately as well with the tube for those without a shop.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ozymandiaz:
For those building this beast, I'm testing a 1" OD X .25" wall aluminum tube instead of the solid 1" round bar for the center rod of the barrel cluster. It seems to work just as well and cuts a noticeable amount of weight. Titanium tube would probably work even better but ratchets up the cost quite a bit. Easier to drill the mounting holes accurately as well with the tube for those without a shop.
View Quote

I wondered why he chose a solid rod instead of a tube. I already have the rod and thought about boring it out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm cutting weight wherever reasonable, also trying for better balance. I have some 3mm wall carbon fiber tubes on the way from Ali Express to test for the barrel cluster shaft and for the tripod legs. I didn't think carbon fiber would work for the barrel cluster so I also got the.25" wall aluminum tube and it works just fine in case the lightweight carbon tube doesn't.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jm0502:
Only thing im not liking is the use of printed links vs the dime a dozen M27 links
View Quote

Problem is, once word gets out, the links will disappear just like the grease gun mags.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I got my delinker assembled and ran a belt through it.  Sometimes it wants to jam up and I'm going to have to smooth it out.

Finally printing the last big piece, the crank housing.  After that I should be able to get the entire thing together.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Now that my order has shipped, the cheapest bolts suitable for this project that I've found are at MAF Arms. $43 for an entire BCG (blem). The issues with gas rings / seals are irrelevant here because we're chopping up the bolt anyways and the rest goes into a parts bin for later.

There's also random stripped bolts for $10 but I wasn't able to catch it in stock when I was ready to order bolts and buying the extractors, firing pins, etc brought the price up high enough that the MAF blem BCGs made more sense.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I know zilch about 3D printers but that thing is GLORIOUS
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:43:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jestertoo] [#21]
I really need to work on the printer and figure out the banding.
Changing to sharpest corner instead of random for the starting point def helped the outer appearance.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#22]
https://www.righttobear.com/m16-ar15-bolt-9310-mpi-5-56-black-nitride-sbn-bolt-9310

Quantity in Stock:  IN STOCK
MSRP: $50.00
SALE PRICE: $44.95

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Making progress. Should have the crank finished tonight. I'm about ready to mount barrels, maybe also do that tonight.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I got on a roll

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#25]
That's awesome
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm mostly done with the gun part, waiting on carbon fiber tubes for the tripod. I found that a 3d printed bolt cam pin (carbon fiber nylon 100% infill) works perfectly and it's a lot easier than cutting / grinding the right shape on regular steel pins. I don't think these pins are bearing any load even in firing because the roller bearing cam track locks and unlocks the bolt. I can always cut the real pins down later but I'm using the printed version for now for consistency in testing.

I had to modify the receiver file to add a frame for a serial number plate, but thankfully I'm an 07 FFL with laser engravers so that part is easy and keeps my dog from being shot here in Washington. Funnily enough this monster is legal here because it's not a semi auto but a m&p 15-22 isn't...

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I found that a 3d printed bolt cam pin (carbon fiber nylon 100% infill) works perfectly and it's a lot easier than cutting / grinding the right shape on regular steel pins. I don't think these pins are bearing any load even in firing because the roller bearing cam track locks and unlocks the bolt. I can always cut the real pins down later but I'm using the printed version for now for consistency in testing.
View Quote

Can you share your STL?

Also, I'm working on an idea for using tungsten in the striker to improve it's mass and help with the light strikes issue. Could make it entirely out of some type of tungsten alloy and grind the pin hole for it, or do some type of striker insert.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#29]
sorry, don't want to interrupt this thread, just a lurker.
I've read the stuff I could find on the various seas and r/s.

How does this not get hot enough to melt? I never thought to touch one after firing, just assumed it would burn me.

I honestly would think that if it came out of a 3d printer, if you left it in your car it would melt on its' own. (I'm very ignorant of the topic, I suppose). I've seen injection molding, but that is a ton of heat and pressure.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm printing anything forward of the bolts with carbon fiber nylon which has a ~400 degree heat tolerance. Everything else on mine is carbon fiber PETG which has around 200 degree tolerance. The only PLA+ I used was for the doors / covers which didn't need any real mechanical strength (even Kel-tec plastic would work for that stuff).
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:36:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jestertoo] [#31]
Originally Posted By high_order1:
How does this not get hot enough to melt? I never thought to touch one after firing, just assumed it would burn me.
View Quote

Under sustained fire I'm sure it would get hot enough to melt stuff. The beauty of 6 barrels is you can run it slow and let it cool itself.

I wonder how long it will be until someone 3d prints it out of metal :)
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:41:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: high_order1] [#32]
Originally Posted By jestertoo:

Under sustained fire I'm sure it would get hot enough to melt stuff. The beauty of 6 barrels is you can run it slow and let it cool itself.

I wonder how long it will be until someone 3d prints it out of metal :)
View Quote
somewhere someone was talking about using wax so they could do investment casting of the parts...

edit - wonder if anyone has sent them to one of the online services?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#33]
This thing is already heavier than a Barrett, metal casting these thick pieces intended for plastic would turn it into a vehicle towed gun
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:05:38 AM EDT
[#34]
This thing is already heavier than a Barrett, metal casting these thick pieces intended for plastic would turn it into a vehicle towed gun
View Quote
You should print the backpack and just go all the way dude
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:49:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jestertoo] [#35]
View Quote

So true. If it was designed to be 3d printed from metal, most of the stuff could be made a lot thinner.

Did you see the Picatinny rail top cover ?
https://odysee.com/@Nopel:6/gripFrameUpper-with-pic-rail:6

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#36]
I have the pic rail top, but haven't used it because I have no idea what sort of optic I'd put on this thing or if it would even be useful. I might remix the ring sight version to include a pic rail and reprint, or just epoxy one onto what I already have.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I have the pic rail top, but haven't used it because I have no idea what sort of optic I'd put on this thing or if it would even be useful. I might remix the ring sight version to include a pic rail and reprint, or just epoxy one onto what I already have.
View Quote

I have to get it shooting first :)

I started printing the mount. Will start working ont he cam pins today. Gonna try yours before I start grinding.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's the STL I made of the cam pin

View Quote

I printed these out in PLA (it's what I have) to test fit with and they are working pretty nice. One of my printers makes everything slightly by like a hundredth of an inch, so I'm having to file/sand everything.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By jestertoo:

I printed these out in PLA (it's what I have) to test fit with and they are working pretty nice. One of my printers makes everything slightly by like a hundredth of an inch, so I'm having to file/sand everything.
View Quote
You need to calibrate your printer if you haven't. Plenty of how-to info.

https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I got the bolts/bolt carriers cycling correctly tonight.
It doesn't like feeding m200 blanks through the delinker, so I've ordered some 1pc dummy rounds to try.

It definitely does NOT like being run in reverse, even with nothing at all in it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#41]
You might have rough spots in your cam grooves for either the receiver or de-linker if it won't spin in reverse (assuming the anti reverse lever is pressed anyways). Or possibly a bolt hitting the safety sear in a bad spot?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Only thing im not liking is the use of printed links vs the dime a dozen M27 links
View Quote

Agreed.  We badly need a version that runs M27 links.  They are cheap, available, and don’t require any print time.  Especially for those of us with many thousands of linked 5.56 for other toys already.

I love the printable capability of the links as designed, but if it can be altered to capitalize on an easy-button resource, let’s do it!

Glad to see these beta versions coming together!  Looks great!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:08:51 AM EDT
[#43]
I might get a batch of the links 3d printed in metal for giggles, they'd be interesting in titanium!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#44]
I might get a batch of the links 3d printed in metal for giggles, they'd be interesting in titanium!
View Quote

I'll buy a few from you if you do this.

J
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#45]
You might have rough spots in your cam grooves for either the receiver or de-linker if it won't spin in reverse (assuming the anti reverse lever is pressed anyways). Or possibly a bolt hitting the safety sear in a bad spot?
View Quote

De-linker is good in reverse. I ran it with a drill quite a bit figuring out some issues with it.

I suspect it's a bolt hitting something since it doesn't feel like a "slow bind" but a hard stop.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:51:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jestertoo] [#46]
Originally Posted By TyrannyOfTheMinority:

Agreed.  We badly need a version that runs M27 links.  They are cheap, available, and don’t require any print time.  Especially for those of us with many thousands of linked 5.56 for other toys already.

I love the printable capability of the links as designed, but if it can be altered to capitalize on an easy-button resource, let’s do it!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TyrannyOfTheMinority:

Yes, and no.

I see a couple of problems with m27 links  (I use them on my shrike)
1) amount of force to push the round out - softer/smoother since this thing is hand cranked and made of plastic
2) spacing between the links is REALLY tight.  

I imagine the de-linker could be redesigned for m27 links, but it would be tough.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Mark the barrel where the stoppage happens and see if it's consistent, I checked mine (without strikers installed since that's the last part I'm working on) and it rotated freely both directions as long as I disengaged the anti reverse lever. Less likely, but your anti reverse may also be protruding into the clutch if the spring is too tall / strong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:54:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jestertoo] [#48]
Mark the barrel where the stoppage happens and see if it's consistent, I checked mine (without strikers installed since that's the last part I'm working on) and it rotated freely both directions as long as I disengaged the anti reverse lever. Less likely, but your anti reverse may also be protruding into the clutch if the spring is too tall / strong.
View Quote

I'll mark position next chance I get.

It does it without the de-linker even attached. Don't think it's the anti-reverse pawl.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#49]
You guys are my heros!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:07:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ozymandiaz] [#50]
Well damn, here I was worried about getting depths and tolerance/ fit correct on the strikers, but realized it's WAY easier to just drill the striker rod all the way through and tap the sucker 1/4-20. I'll then use a stainless 1/4-20 bolt for the bearing pin. I'll still turn down the bearing pin on the lathe but the portion attached to the striker will be threaded and that gives it some adjustability on the height. Some blue locktite and it should stay where it needs to without being locked in place should I need to remove a bolt.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top