BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By winddummy82:
I like it. Maybe something on the bottom so knife point doesn't touch countertop?
View Quote

It's actually 5/8 off table, she sees no need need in longer blades. So we good....hope to pick up 2 more in next week
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I finished an experimental (for me) project today. I had a walnut log that was too short to be really practical and I'd never really done any epoxy work. We also had a thrift store table that was driving me insane so I decided to make a replacement. It's not really my style, but my wife loves it. I learned a lot about epoxy and I will definitely use it again in some capacity.

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:02:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MongooseKY] [#3]
That's a beautiful piece!  There's a pretty well defined transition from the top to the live edge - is the live edge added on or is the entire top (at least to the epoxy) a single piece?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:11:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kels] [#4]
https://imgur.com/a/j0odeJi

My money pit

Fiberglass body is off and we are getting
ready to rewire the damn thing

It MIGHT make it to Sturgis this year lol
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MongooseKY:
That's a beautiful piece!  There's a pretty well defined transition from the top to the live edge - is the live edge added on or is the entire top (at least to the epoxy) a single piece?
View Quote

The table is 48" long. The log was about 31". I actually split the log down the middle and then resawed the pieces, doing a lengthwise "bookmatch" to try and extend the length. It's an absolute hodgepodge.

The back side is two pieces of log section, matched and butt-jointed with glue and loose tenons. The front side is actually five pieces - two more like previously described, and one strip of figured walnut (from one of the same boards used to make the rest of the table) so as to avoid a four-way glue joint. The joints should be relatively clear in the picture.

I did not remove 100% of the bark. Walnut has loose bark and well-attached bark (overall quite thick) so a bit of the darker stronger stuff was left. I used an angle grinder with a nylon brush to shape the live edge somewhat and ease the transitions between pieces.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FS7:
I finished an experimental (for me) project today. I had a walnut log that was too short to be really practical and I'd never really done any epoxy work. We also had a thrift store table that was driving me insane so I decided to make a replacement. It's not really my style, but my wife loves it. I learned a lot about epoxy and I will definitely use it again in some capacity.
https://i.ibb.co/Fwkw7VX/20220109-134549.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/9gGcD5c/20220109-134557.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/G7FMjfr/20220109-134615.jpg
View Quote
very nice!
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#7]
https://i.ibb.co/Fwkw7VX/20220109-134549.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/9gGcD5c/20220109-134557.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/G7FMjfr/20220109-134615.jpg
View Quote
Even ignoring the top, holy nicely figured walnut!
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:21:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FS7] [#8]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
Even ignoring the top, holy nicely figured walnut!
View Quote

I actually had a pretty hard time picking an appearance side for the curly pieces. In the brighter light of the shop it looks a lot better.

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Beautiful end table!!!

I needed a url for the traveling box of oddities....I make these small simple plauqes.
Attachment Attached File

Well that's crooked
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:02:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nophun] [#11]
Big you say?

Yesterday I built a door casing to match the original ones (1893). There's been quite a bit of woodworking going on to
retore interior and exterior trim. The posted pic is of the house when we took delivery, it's a bit different now as
we are roughly midway through the renovations.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]
don't hold out on us! early in my carpentry career I got to work on a project like that. the living room was the old swede workshop. he milled it and a few of us were lucky enough to hold the dummy end of his tape.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Late Christmas presents finished today.

Better Nate than Lever!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm working on a new outfeed table.  The top is a salvaged 1.5" thick oak table top, the legs are poplar and the shelf is MDF.  I'm going to set the rear jaws of my great grandfathers vise behind the "apron".   Some day I will make a nice bench dedicated to hand tools but this was quick and will work for now.  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:20:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Late Christmas presents finished today.

Better Nate than Lever!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77386/20220123_193546_jpg-2252284.JPG
View Quote
what model saw and blade did you use? nice work!
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RaptorFuel:
I'm working on a new outfeed table.  The top is a salvaged 1.5" thick oak table top, the legs are poplar and the shelf is MDF.  I'm going to set the rear jaws of my great grandfathers vise behind the "apron".   Some day I will make a nice bench dedicated to hand tools but this was quick and will work for now.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/167432/A30B3C53-AAB1-4D05-9EA2-60C756453262_jpe-2253144.JPG
View Quote
shop tour please! that looks like a serious bandsaw?
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#17]
what model saw and blade did you use? nice work!
View Quote
They are made from 4/4 rough padauk planed down to just under 1" on my DW755.  The state shapes were cut on a DW788 using a 36tpi Olson spiral blade.  Finish is 2 coats of spray clear shellac followed by 2 coats of spar urethane (I wanted some UV protection to try and preserve the padauk color).
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#18]
They are made from 4/4 rough padauk planed down to just under 1" on my DW755.  The state shapes were cut on a DW788 using a 36tpi Olson spiral blade.  Finish is 2 coats of spray clear shellac followed by 2 coats of spar urethane (I wanted some UV protection to try and preserve the padauk color).
View Quote

In my experience preserving the color is impossible regardless of what you do. I have heard and read that UV-inhibiting finishes (like spar varnish) can extend the life of the original color, but I have never seen that in practice (even with non-pigmented paint, which is about as UV-inhibiting as you can get). The color changing happens right on schedule.

Fortunately, I actually much prefer the aged color of padauk.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#19]

In my experience preserving the color is impossible regardless of what you do. I have heard and read that UV-inhibiting finishes (like spar varnish) can extend the life of the original color, but I have never seen that in practice (even with non-pigmented paint, which is about as UV-inhibiting as you can get). The color changing happens right on schedule.

Fortunately, I actually much prefer the aged color of padauk.
View Quote
I won't be heartbroken either way.  These were gifts to relatives in other states as a keepsake for their visit here, so no matter the color it'll still look like KY
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Getting some inventory made so I can sell them. These are the first batch I made from scraps I had of maple (hard & curly), mahogany, and walnut.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Those look good.

How do you cut the juice grooves?  I’m always interested in various ways, because it’s the easiest way to mess up a good board.  Well, it’s the easiest way to have to resize a good board and try again.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By RLR350:
Those look good.

How do you cut the juice grooves?  I’m always interested in various ways, because it’s the easiest way to mess up a good board.  Well, it’s the easiest way to have to resize a good board and try again.
View Quote

The easiest way is to make a box, especially if your boards are all a similar size. Basically just plywood sides and plywood spacers to account for the router base plate width and how far in you want the groove.

How To Make An Adjustable Juice Groove Jig | Simple Cutting Board Jig

With something like this the router will want to pull into the box, so it should be very difficult if not impossible to screw up. You will need to keep moving to avoid burning. Start with shallow cuts to get a feel.

Juice grooves look nice but they are useless. It's a good way to waste space on a board. A 3/4" groove 3/4" from the edge means you lose 3" on all sides. It's actually a ton of space. I have never overflowed any of my boards. For the effort involved in making them and the minimal utility I recommend against it.

Finger grooves are similar, but easier to do and more useful.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Those look good.

View Quote

I made these fences that I attach to a scrap piece of plywood.

Attachment Attached File

Just need to figure out the distance you want the groove from the edge then set up your router on the cutting board at that point. Then measure from the edge of the board to the edge of your router base. Cut the horizontal pieces that width then attach some vertical fences.

@RLR350
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:54:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RaptorFuel] [#24]
shop tour please! that looks like a serious bandsaw?
View Quote

The bandsaw is a Laguna 18BX.  It and the Hammer jointer/planer are my newest additions to my shop last fall.  The shop is in my basement which makes my very cautious about dust; note the big dust collector.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA: I don't know why the last pic is sideways.  It's right side up on all of my devices.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I read somewhere pvc isn't good for dust control because of static electricity. I'd never leave the house if that was my basement.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I’m not sure why these pictures are rotated but I just finished this project. Solid walnut coffee table finished with Rubio Monocoat Pure.

I’m having to use over half my space right now for temporary storage while we clean out my in-laws storage units. It’s quite frustrating.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By mdanthony:
I'm not sure why these pictures are rotated but I just finished this project. Solid walnut coffee table finished with Rubio Monocoat Pure.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/321232/A6FBEEA0-D50F-4EE2-8B21-89EF1720A423-2259667.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/321232/1193B95C-20C5-4419-A236-4C2E0EC3A078-2259668.jpg

I'm having to use over half my space right now for temporary storage while we clean out my in-laws storage units. It's quite frustrating.
View Quote
@mdanthony are those legs cut from 16/4 or are they glue-ups?  From the pics it looks like they are solid pieces.  Was this your own stock or did you buy it?  If you bought it, what was your bd/ft price?  (I'm asking a lot of questions because my wife wants me to make one very similar to this).
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 1:14:15 AM EDT
[#28]
@mdanthony are those legs cut from 16/4 or are they glue-ups?  From the pics it looks like they are solid pieces.  Was this your own stock or did you buy it?  If you bought it, what was your bd/ft price?  (I'm asking a lot of questions because my wife wants me to make one very similar to this).
View Quote

It’s a 2x 8/4 glue-up. I’ll see if I can dig up the receipts but I want to say there’s about $300 worth of lumber in there. It’s 30” x 54” x 22”. We wanted it to be close to a tank since we have four kids that will be sitting and playing at it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 1:25:37 AM EDT
[#29]

It's a 2x 8/4 glue-up. I'll see if I can dig up the receipts but I want to say there's about $300 worth of lumber in there. It's 30" x 54" x 22". We wanted it to be close to a tank since we have four kids that will be sitting and playing at it.
View Quote
Thanks for the info!  Beautiful piece - we absolutely love walnut.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm not sure why these pictures are rotated but I just finished this project. Solid walnut coffee table finished with Rubio Monocoat Pure.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/321232/A6FBEEA0-D50F-4EE2-8B21-89EF1720A423-2259667.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/321232/1193B95C-20C5-4419-A236-4C2E0EC3A078-2259668.jpg

I'm having to use over half my space right now for temporary storage while we clean out my in-laws storage units. It's quite frustrating.
View Quote
very nice! mortise and tenon?
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#31]
very nice! mortise and tenon?
View Quote

I did something new for this one and I was able to use dominos. I’ve never used them before and it feels like cheating it’s so easy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#32]

I did something new for this one and I was able to use dominos. I've never used them before and it feels like cheating it's so easy.
View Quote
you rascal dominos are cheating!
I have access to a domino through work but it's a little pricey for my wallet, I'll stick with my porter cable bizkit joiner. you can't beat festool quality tools though crazy strong joinery for what it is.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#33]
you rascal dominos are cheating!
I have access to a domino through work but it's a little pricey for my wallet, I'll stick with my porter cable bizkit joiner. you can't beat festool quality tools though crazy strong joinery for what it is.
View Quote

I bought one when I made a crib for my oldest daughter. No way I was going to do all those slats with dowels or M&T. It was tough to swallow at first but it's an incredibly useful tool.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Just finished up this desk for my wife.  It's all ambrosia maple.  I'll get a photo with the finish on it soon.  I really like the top and the wife loves it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By mattvon:
Just finished up this desk for my wife.  It's all ambrosia maple.  I'll get a photo with the finish on it soon.  I really like the top and the wife loves it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/468963/20211220_172304_jpg-2263792.JPG
View Quote
That's beautiful! I'd like to make that with spalted maple. How long did it take you and pics of shop please?
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I read somewhere pvc isn't good for dust control because of static electricity. I'd never leave the house if that was my basement.
View Quote

I've got mostly PVC pipes for dust collector (6") the blast gates are aluminum from Lee Valley.
What I did was run a small copper wire from the blast gates along the pipe to the machine then grounding to the machine.
I figured the aluminum blast gates ground inside and outside the pvc, the wire is tapped with aluminum tape to the pvc.
The wire grounded at the machine that means it also is grounded thru the electrical system.
I have not noticed any static electricity except on the jointer/planer. That machine is the only one I have not yet grounded at the machine.

I think the whole static electricity thing causing a fire is greatly over done. I have never actually seen a fire from this cause. Any others have any example of it actually happening?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#37]
That's beautiful! I'd like to make that with spalted maple. How long did it take you and pics of shop please?
View Quote

Thanks!  It took about three weeks of work, mostly evenings.  I think it would look awesome in spalted maple.  I lucked into a good price locally for 8/4 ambrosia, ended up buying two slabs about 12" wide x 10' long.  Resawed one of them for the top and the apron, left the other nice and chunky for the legs.  There's a mild taper on the legs when viewed from the front.  Lots of little details on this one.

I'll get some shop pics in a bit, it's currently a mess--I'm building a dining room table and benches for my daughter, who just bought her first house.  I appreciate the reply!
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By mattvon:

Thanks!  It took about three weeks of work, mostly evenings.  I think it would look awesome in spalted maple.  I lucked into a good price locally for 8/4 ambrosia, ended up buying two slabs about 12" wide x 10' long.  Resawed one of them for the top and the apron, left the other nice and chunky for the legs.  There's a mild taper on the legs when viewed from the front.  Lots of little details on this one.

I'll get some shop pics in a bit, it's currently a mess--I'm building a dining room table and benches for my daughter, who just bought her first house.  I appreciate the reply!
View Quote
interested to see leg profile and joinery
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:47:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: savage1971] [#39]
Well being that I finally have my shop set up after moving in and there are no immediate repairs needed on the house I decided to finally start building my father in laws urn/commemorative box. Will be curly maple sides, walnut  lid with a yellowheart medallion inlayed into the lid with walnut dovetail splines on the cornersAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

I built a sled today.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By bansil:
Wife wanted cast iron off the bar area...so...bunch of old 1x8's 20 year old dark walnut stain and a temporary cast iron storage area...walla

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/388306/20211113_153540_jpg-2166714.JPG
View Quote

Neat.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#42]

How square is it?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#43]
5 cuts?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Did some work on the lid yesterday while waiting for my spline jig on the big brown truck of happinessAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By savage1971:
Did some work on the lid yesterday while waiting for my spline jig on the big brown truck of happinesshttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117398/20220210_132445_jpg-2275583.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117398/20220210_132808_jpg-2275584.JPG
View Quote

Nice.  How did you cut the angles in the walnut top?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Nice.  How did you cut the angles in the walnut top?
View Quote
Tablesaw set at 12 degrees I think it was. Stood the lid on its side, held it tight against the fence and prayed I didnt screw it up. All came out great until the second cut. The blade bit one of the corners and kinda chunked it a little. Moved the fence in another 1/8 and made another pass and they both came out clean. Sanded the top angle and blended it in
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Tablesaw set at 12 degrees I think it was. Stood the lid on its side, held it tight against the fence and prayed I didnt screw it up. All came out great until the second cut. The blade bit one of the corners and kinda chunked it a little. Moved the fence in another 1/8 and made another pass and they both came out clean. Sanded the top angle and blended it in
View Quote

It turned out good.  I was guessing a jig of some type.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By madwis15:

How square is it?
View Quote
.0003"/inch.  Is that accurate enough?  Without a rear fence I'm worried it might drift over time.
5 cuts?
View Quote
Yes sir!
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
nice job!
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top