BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2505
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Getnlwr:
I just want to know why all the fucking weird shit comes out of china. Swine flu. Avian flu, SARS, Coronavirus... etc.
View Quote
Almost 18% of the world's population is Chinese....
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I just want to know why all the fucking weird shit comes out of china. Swine flu. Avian flu, SARS, Coronavirus... etc.
View Quote
Here you go:
China's Coronavirus is Much Worse Than You Think
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
San Francisco and Chinese New Year next week = I’m in trouble http://i.123g.us/c/ejan_chinese_happy/card/341803.gif
View Quote
No shit. Flew into Sac Saturday and flying out next week. Have to be healthy when I make it back.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
It’s purely for PR and impression management.  They have neither the ability nor the interest in seriously quarantining the area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By NorCalRT:
They can stop flights and trains, but good fucking luck stopping the flow of people in and out.
It’s purely for PR and impression management.  They have neither the ability nor the interest in seriously quarantining the area.
according to one report in a UK tabloid, there are road blocks on all roads leading out of the city.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#6]
China has never quaratined a city of 11 million people before.

Something is different this time.

Actions speak louder than words.

If only 543 cases and 17 deaths, why quarantine a city of 11 million people..
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:46:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredsaint] [#7]
Asian Drivers, No Survivors?

i'm glad i'm in an area 99% white meat
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Next breaking story, China nukes Wuhan in attempt to control outbreak.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#9]
As if we needed more Asians in Vegas with masks on.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mach:

View Quote
Has anybody quarantined a city of 11 million people before?  I agree it seems a bit odd, the Chinese are all about making it look like they have things under control so they can save face.  Quarantining a major metropolis doesn't sound like anything is under control.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#11]
To give you an idea just how dangerous a deadly flu strain can be to a society, watch this Korean Film.  That is a very scary movie.

Korean Flu Film
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Fortune cookie says no worries
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#13]
We have real shit to worry about like vaping.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By macaho45:
We have real shit to worry about like vaping.
View Quote
Aren't those things made in China?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Kinda late now that its gone across the Pacific.  Thanks Mao!
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#16]
It is too late. Only God Emperor Trump can save us now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
its actually closer to 19M now
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:15:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sketti] [#18]
Well shit!

"Fairfax County schools are considering immediate "adjustments" to the student exchange program involving 21 middle school kids who arrived from Wuhan China in the last 48 hours. Parents are concerned the kids could carry the #coronavirus"

Update: "BREAKING: Fairfax County Schools decides out of an abundance of caution that exchange students from China will not visit schools, rather will tour cultural sites, find activities in DC area. Health officials say the risk of #coronavirus in kids is 'extremely low'" - WTF
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#19]
So it’s going to be Wuhan Pneumonia and the Boogaloo Flu now...
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Just wait until the #coronavirus reaches these lovely spots on the Left Coast.

Thanks California. Just effing thanks!
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:29:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackTuono] [#21]
Two things I can contribute:

I studied epidemiology a decent bit back in grad school (bioinformatics) and recall reading a paper simulating an airborne outbreak originating in Thailand. The biggest factor in quarantining the virus was how long it incubated for. Simulations with a 5 day incubation period were pretty bad, requiring a country to shut its borders within 72 hours of the first outbreak cluster to successfully contain it. There have been some reports that this virus has an incubation period up to 10 days, which is pretty bad.

Folks are already taking it very seriously here in the states. My girlfriend is a nurse and she said her hospital started a policy today of putting symptomatic recent travelers from China into airborne isolation.

Edit: no reason to panic about anything but now is a good time to revisit your preps. If you and your whole family were bedridden for a week could you manage with the supplies in your house right now?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ziegenbock:
The CDC needs to stay on top of this shit.  Fucking air travel is going to kill us all
View Quote
Greta, is that you?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#23]
My kid’s classmate is in China until mid February. If this shit doesn’t get under control, I don’t want my kid in that classroom for a bit when the student comes back from china.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Sketti:
Well shit!

"Fairfax County schools are considering immediate "adjustments" to the student exchange program involving 21 middle school kids who arrived from Wuhan China in the last 48 hours. Parents are concerned the kids could carry the #coronavirus"

Update: "BREAKING: Fairfax County Schools decides out of an abundance of caution that exchange students from China will not visit schools, rather will tour cultural sites, find activities in DC area. Health officials say the risk of #coronavirus in kids is 'extremely low'" - WTF
View Quote
Send them back!
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
wet markets, rural poor practices in congested cities.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm supposed to go to Shenzhen via Hong Kong in March. Eyeing this very closely.

I was in China during A.S.S. avian flu, swine flu, and SARS. If anyone was found to be sick they would find anyone that was on the plane with them and quarantine them and anyone that has been in contact with them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By LV1976:

Has anybody quarantined a city of 11 million people before?  I agree it seems a bit odd, the Chinese are all about making it look like they have things under control so they can save face.  Quarantining a major metropolis doesn't sound like anything is under control.
View Quote
11 million is just a town in China. Major metropolis in China is 2-4 times that number. I've been to Wuhan. By China standards it's small.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#29]
It's already known to be in the US, Taiwan, and Thailand, so quarantining Wuhan now is too F-ing late.

If it's known to be in the above three, it's surely in others but not proven, so unless the world goes full-Madagascar, it's a given that the Wuhan will be *everywhere* soon enough.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
The flu lives in people, birds, and pigs.  Certain parts of China generally have tremendously high density of all three, living in close proximity.  More chances for a new strain in one species to adapt to live in the other species.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting video from China

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSpeaker2018/status/1219683350182428674
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#32]
It needs to reach India
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#33]

SEOUL: North Korea will ban foreign tourists to protect itself against a new SARS-like virus that has claimed at least nine lives in China and sickened hundreds, a major tour operator said.

Mr Cha Yeong-hyeong, head of the Dandong-based travel agency INDPRK, told Reuters the company was informed of the ban verbally by its North Korean counterpart on Tuesday.

The company was told an order banning entry of tourists from China would go into effect on Wednesday, with the restriction to last until a vaccine for the coronavirus is developed, said Mr Cha.

BTG International Travel & Tours confirmed that it had received a written message from its North Korean supplier, citing the North Korea travel administration saying customs had been closed as of Wednesday morning.

The North Korean government is preparing an official notice, and will later announce when tours can be resumed, the message said.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
Because they are reporting the actual numbers?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
Kind of like Russia was when Chernobyl went hot?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Those were some fast zombies.  I hate fast zombies.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Originally Posted By s1rGr1nG0:
This is how "World War Z" started.

Those were some fast zombies.  I hate fast zombies.
That was the movie.  The movie is shit.

The book is great.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Well shit!

View Quote
How about....hmmm....I dont know....FUCKING HOLDING THEM IN QUARANTINE for at least the suspected incubation period before making such a claim? If after a few days no one exhibits any symptoms at all...fine...our bad. If not...isolate and treat. Nope...we will just have them wander around the city
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By wganz:
Just wait until the #coronavirus reaches these lovely spots on the Left Coast.
https://hoodline.imgix.net/uploads/story/image/28458/shotwell_tents.jpg?auto=format

Thanks California. Just effing thanks!
View Quote
From the looks of the picture, it might as well have already wiped them out
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Well shit!

View Quote
Are they going to visit the impeachment trial?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:
11 million is just a town in China. Major metropolis in China is 2-4 times that number. I've been to Wuhan. By China standards it's small.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

Fair enough.  I qualify my statement with "in any sane kind of population density".
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Too late.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Undefined:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Undefined:
Well shit!

My nephew's class got to attend Trump's inauguration because his school really, really thought the Hilldog would win.

He got me an inauguration cap.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Well shit!

View Quote
They need to tour the Congessional office buildings.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#45]
How the fuck has the media not been able to come up with some kind of sensational name yet to send people into a panic?!?!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#46]
everybody knows that the common influenza virus causes anywhere between 300,000 and 650,000 deaths per year over the entire planet right?  world war 1 was called a draw on account of the Spanish Flu which took somewhere between 20-50 million lives.  viruses have been a companion to human evolution for as long as we have walked on this planet, every now and again a particularly virulent strain arises, sticks around for a while and then fades away.  just another day on planet Earth.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#47]
My wife and I were discussing the CDC spokesman news shot this am. "we have a playbook for that" doesn't fill me with confidence when line 37 says "blockade the city and let the disease burn itself out".
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Well shit!

View Quote
Maybe they can meet with Schiff and Pelosi?  Maybe a few others too.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By navvet89:
My wife and I were discussing the CDC spokesman news shot this am. "we have a playbook for that" doesn't fill me with confidence when line 37 says "blockade the city and let the disease burn itself out".
View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Socio:
Last I heard China’s death count is at 17.
View Quote
China is known for being honest.
Page / 2505
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top