Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I used hardwood lump stuff. It burns clean and hot as shit. HAndful or fritos as a starter.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By delorean:

What exactly is a "lump briquette"?  Sounds like a football bat or a soup sandwich.....

I assume it is to mean a briquette made with lump charcoal fines?  That's almost all of them otherwise they couldn't call them "charcoal briquettes".  Most of them contain anthracite coal fly ash and a bunch of other junk binders.......just depends on the brand and how cheap they want to sell it for.  The more hardwood charcoal in them, the more expensive they are going to be.  On a holiday weekend sale, better believe they dial up the limestone, fly ash, & water since they are cheaper and heavier than charcoal/carbon.

But in any case, they can call each of them "all natural" since limestone, anthracite, starch, etc are all in fact natural.  Weber had a good brand of charcoal briquettes years ago that was just crushed hardwood charcoal fines, some starch for a binder, and a borax coating to get it to release from the press.  They were the best performance of any briquette, but since they were at lump charcoal prices, everybody just bought lump charcoal.....they discontinued them.
View Quote

Dude you know your charcoal! Think I had label blinders on because I use B&B lump, and just started calling this stuff “Lump Briquettes,” I’ll quit doing that moving forward! I buy it for $8 and I get 5-6 cooks per bag on the PK. Thanks for taking the time to post your knowledge sir.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Royal Oak Lump has turned to shit the last few years.

Grilling: Fogo Black Bag
Smoking (BGE): Fogo Yellow Bag

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 10:22:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ButchA61] [#4]
Originally Posted By cjk:
Kingsford with chimney.
View Quote

^^^^ This ^^^^

I have a classic 22" Weber Kettle like everyone else.  It seems to love Kingsford charcoal over everything else.  Don't know why, but it is what it is, and that's what I go with.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:52:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#5]
I mainly use B&B products w/my BGE.

On bottom

On top

I'm going to give Jealous Devil a try soon.

I avoid
Royal Oak.  I have been "burned" too many time with this brand.  Too much small/fine/dust + trash in it for my liking.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Cowboy. I have never use this based on ratings that I have seen.  However, they now have a USA made lump that is getting good reviews.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BELinMA:

This might be useful: Lump Charcoal Database
View Quote

Is the web site working for you?  I can't get to  the database.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup, I clicked the hotlink in your post and Firefox popped the landing page right up.  The ranking page was timing out - maybe they're having server issues?

Here's the base link: https://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprank.htm

Try again later?  I've not had issues before.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By WDEagle:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BELinMA:

This might be useful: Lump Charcoal Database

Web Site back up now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Various brands of hardwood lump, primarily in my smoker. I've used Kingsford to start all my smokers until I went to a temp controlled smoker. (Still wood)

Chimney all the way for grilling.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been pretty impressed with Kingsford Professional.  Burns long and hot.  Has a better wood smoke aroma than the standard blue bag Kingsford.  Seems to be a little harder to find though, and obviously more costly than the original.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:24:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#14]
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Kingsford with chimney.
View Quote

A classic Weber Kettle, Kingsford charcoal, lit with a charcoal chimney....  It doesn't get any better than that!
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been having good results with B&B Lump and random fire starters.  Put a bunch in my grill, 1-2 lighters, cook when it gets right.  Takes a little longer than a chimney, but I'm using more than a chimney full so I guess that's ok.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By StromBusa:
cuz Pa.

https://humphreycharcoal.com/
View Quote

I loved that stuff. No one near me carries it anymore. SE Pa area.
Where in the state are you located?
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently started using Blues Hog hardwood charcoal. Its decent for L&S, but sucks for high heat pizza cooks.  It burns up too quick. Rockwood shines on the high heat cooks, Humphreys too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Have any of you thought about making your own?
I have watched a few videos and I do have the wood and space to do it.   I wouldn’t do it to save money but it would be nice for consistency and learning a new skill.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mc556:
I have watched a few videos and I do have the wood and space to do it.   I wouldn’t do it to save money but it would be nice for consistency and learning a new skill.
View Quote

If I was in your situation, I would at least try to make some.  Who knows when you might need it (in Mindcraft.)
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Cheapest shit I can find.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Ive considered it. Have access to free 55gal barrels but not 30s. I might try to make a burner this summer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I can get 55 gal locally for $25 but no 30
I’m certain I can come up with something so may try it
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#24]
There are two companies in the world that make charcoal, Royal Oak and Kingsford...

Briquettes are mostly filler...

Chunk coal is the way...

NO lighter fluid...EVER...
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:44:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#25]
Originally Posted By beebeebeebee:
There are two companies in the world that make charcoal, Royal Oak and Kingsford... Incorrect

Briquettes are mostly filler... Incorrect

Chunk coal is the way... It's Lump not chunk.

NO lighter fluid...EVER...Finally got one right.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I mix that Cowboy and Kingsford.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 1:15:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delorean] [#27]
Originally Posted By beebeebeebee:
There are two companies in the world that make charcoal, Royal Oak and Kingsford... Incorrect  FOUR main companies HQ'd in US:  Kingsford, B&B, Royal Oak, Duraflame.  Plenty more smaller companies in the US, then 1000's more across the world.  The US only makes up like 4-5% of the global charcoal production--Africa and South America each make 30-40% since a good portion of those continents use it as the primary cooking fuel, steel production, generating electricity, etc.

Briquettes are mostly filler... Incorrect  Guess it's how you define "filler" but more filler by weight than volume since carbon is so light.  In some cases, can be upwards of 50%, but it just depends on how cheap they want to be able to sell them for.  The charcoal is the most expensive ingredient, so the more anthracite coal fly ash they can get for free, the more profit.

Chunk coal is the way... It's Lump not chunk.  

NO lighter fluid...EVER...Finally got one right.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Ive considered it. Have access to free 55gal barrels but not 30s. I might try to make a burner this summer.
View All Quotes

The problem with the 55 gal drum is no different than companies that use steel kilns and/or retort systems......you can't get the temp up high enough to burn off all the volatiles and wood fiber.  You'll make charred wood, but it's tough to make true charcoal (80%+ carbonization) without starting to burn off the carbon.  It's not so much the fire, it's knowing when to STOP the fire.  And with the steel radiating off the heat so fast, it's difficult to know when that magic time is.  Give it a try and see if you can get it to a point when you can break all of it apart by hand.  When you can do that consistently, you figured it out for your system.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 1:26:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#29]

Guess it's how you define "filler" but more filler by weight than volume since carbon is so light.  In some cases, can be upwards of 50%, but it just depends on how cheap they want to be able to sell them for.  The charcoal is the most expensive ingredient, so the more anthracite coal fly ash they can get for free, the more profit.
Some briquettes contain no binders or fillers making his/her/it's original statement incorrect regardless of weight, volume, etc.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Guess it's how you define "filler" but more filler by weight than volume since carbon is so light.  In some cases, can be upwards of 50%, but it just depends on how cheap they want to be able to sell them for.  The charcoal is the most expensive ingredient, so the more anthracite coal fly ash they can get for free, the more profit.
Some briquettes contain no binders or fillers making his/her/it's original statement incorrect regardless of weight, volume, etc.

View Quote

I was addressing the OP of that quote and agreeing with you.......sorry for the confusion.  Either way, a briquette has to have some sort of binder in it otherwise it would just fall apart--charcoal doesn't absorb water, is adsorbs it.  There's a starch (up 10%) or a dextrose product to get them to bind.  A slurry of limestone and water helps as well, which is in a lot of briquettes.  There almost has to be borax in them to get them to release from the press.  Again, it's what they want to call "binder" and "filler" to make that claim on the packaging.  It's like hot dogs that claim they don't contain "fillers", yet if there's the slightest bit of nutritional value in anything, it's not a "filler" per se.  Same goes with briquettes.   A lot of them claim "all natural" because limestone, wood, start, borax, anthracite, etc is in fact "natural"......I've even seen some companies use the word "organic" because there is zero regulation of that word on fuels.

Weigh some briquettes before you burn them, then measure the weight of the ash--that will tell you exactly how much crap is in them that doesn't burn regardless of what is claimed on the packaging.  For reference properly carbonized lump charcoal has an ash content less than 5% by weight.  So be generous and double that to account for the ash from the wood fiber in the sawdust.......and if the briquettes ash is more than 10% or the preburn weight, then there are definitely binders, fillers, or whatever you want to call them in briquettes than claim the be binder/filler free.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 3:40:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#31]

I was addressing the OP of that quote and agreeing with you.......sorry for the confusion.  Either way, a briquette has to have some sort of binder in it otherwise it would just fall apart--charcoal doesn't absorb water, is adsorbs it.  There's a starch (up 10%) or a dextrose product to get them to bind.  A slurry of limestone and water helps as well, which is in a lot of briquettes.  There almost has to be borax in them to get them to release from the press.  Again, it's what they want to call "binder" and "filler" to make that claim on the packaging.  It's like hot dogs that claim they don't contain "fillers", yet if there's the slightest bit of nutritional value in anything, it's not a "filler" per se.  Same goes with briquettes.   A lot of them claim "all natural" because limestone, wood, start, borax, anthracite, etc is in fact "natural"......I've even seen some companies use the word "organic" because there is zero regulation of that word on fuels.

Weigh some briquettes before you burn them, then measure the weight of the ash--that will tell you exactly how much crap is in them that doesn't burn regardless of what is claimed on the packaging.  For reference properly carbonized lump charcoal has an ash content less than 5% by weight.  So be generous and double that to account for the ash from the wood fiber in the sawdust.......and if the briquettes ash is more than 10% or the preburn weight, then there are definitely binders, fillers, or whatever you want to call them in briquettes than claim the be binder/filler free.
View All Quotes

I was fairly certain that you were agreeing with me on that issue.  I just wanted to clarify why I typed what I did.  Here's what Naked Whiz stated in their review of B&B Competition Logs.

So, we mentioned that these Char-Logs are made from the remnants from making oak and hickory lump charcoal. These charred remnants are ground into powder and then compressed under fantastic pressure to form the logs that you will see below. It is notable that there is no binder used. Because B&B doesn't cook their charcoal at really high temperatures, there is still enough plant cell membrane in the charcoal powder to bind the charcoal when compressed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:43:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delorean] [#32]

I was fairly certain that you were agreeing with me on that issue.  I just wanted to clarify why I typed what I did.  Here's what Naked Whiz stated in their review of B&B Competition Logs.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/B_B_charlogs_jpg-2800034.JPG
View Quote

Not to split hairs here, but that's an extrusion, not a briquette.  I know what it says on the bag, but that's what it is.  It's made from a lower carbonized wood, that's why it has enough lignins left in it to bind with the addition of water.  So, they'll produce a more ash and smoke that the lump charcoal, and have a lower BTU since water, wood fiber, etc is heavier than carbon.  Not saying they're bad or anything, compare them to briquettes and see how it goes.

PS:  The Naked Whiz is a good dude.....met him before at a BBQ event in Virginia.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:44:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delorean] [#33]
double post
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:44:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delorean] [#34]
double post

triple post

Sorry  
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Not to split hairs here, but that's an extrusion, not a briquette.  I know what it says on the bag, but that's what it is.  It's made from a lower carbonized wood, that's why it has enough lignins left in it to bind with the addition of water.  So, they'll produce a more ash and smoke that the lump charcoal, and have a lower BTU since water, wood fiber, etc is heavier than carbon.  Not saying they're bad or anything, compare them to briquettes and see how it goes.

PS:  The Naked Whiz is a good dude.....met him before at a BBQ event in Virginia.
View Quote

Did you ask him or did you already know how that name came about?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#36]
double post

triple post

Sorry  
View Quote

Triple?  That one post lasted longer than the Delorean did.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Kingsford for years and not changing. People love the flavor of my smoked pork

of course i use a chimney
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Backnblack:
Cowboy Lump
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#39]

I think you're going to like this.....

The surface area is a common misconception because folks don't realize that nearly all of the surface area is not visible.  Lump that's carbonized to 80%+ can have a surface area (AKA porosity) of 200-300 m2/g.  That means a piece of charcoal the size of a golf ball splayed out has the surface area the size of a tennis court.  It absolutely crazy how porous it is!!  So it doesn't matter what you're seeing on the outside, the oxygen is going inside of it.  I'll try to most a pic of what charcoal looks like under a microscope.  That's why charcoal is used in filters, detoxifiers, soil amendments, etc.  When they activate charcoals with super high temp steam and/or chemicals, the porosity can be as high as 2000 m2/g.....that's the medical grade stuff they give patients that overdose or are poisoned (usually a bismuth or anthracite coal for those though......we carried it on the ambulance.)

Back to the BBQ, when you see those glowing red, nearly translucent coals in the firebox, fireplace, or wood stove, that's the true charcoal that's nearly all carbon at that point.  100% of it is burning--inside and out--tons of heat.  It's not like a log, briquette, etc that has to burned from the outside in.  With those, you have to burn through all the other "stuff" to get to the carbon.

A piece of "green" wood can have a moisture content equal to or over the weight of the wood itself and many months of seasoning brings it down to under 20%.  That's getting most of the water, tars and liquors out of it.  When you start burning it, you'll see the blue flames which is the rest of those volatiles be burned out of it (that's where the creosote comes from).  Then the wood fiber starts to burn.....that's where the yellow flames (that's where most of the ash come from.)  Finally, when that log breaks apart into a bunch of glowing red coals, that's the carbon--that's when the fire is starved from O2 in the charcoal making process.  If done right, it results in a lump charcoal that is close to 12000 BTU/#.  It produces very little smoke or ash because the things that produce smoke are ash are already gone.  It can burn hot and fast or low and slow--just depends how much O2 you let get to it.  It also can get wet, and dry quickly because it adsorbs (not absorbs) moisture.  That's why the cave man invented it--it was a lightweight, transportable fuel he could get wet yet still have a hot fire in short amount of time.  Fun fact: Lump charcoal is the oldest manufactured product known to man.  

Most US manufactured charcoals come from "slabs" which are all the offcuts and scrap from the milling industry.  A tree that has had an injury from someone nailing something into it, shooting it, wrapping barbed wire around it, etc, will have a knot or deformity thus causing that piece to get rejected at the mill.  It goes to the charcoal plant with all the other pieces that are too knotty, warped, short, etc to be made into hardwood lumber.  A piece with a nail, bullet, or whatever in it may make it through a kiln with that still in there, too heavy to be grabbed by a magnet, which you don't find until the charcoal burns away.  There were some brands using "construction scrap" and you should stay away from that junk if you see plywood, molding, subfloor, etc because of the glues and such (the crappy thing was they still called these "all natural" because resin come from trees.)  But a couple right angles on a piece of charcoal in the bag doesn't mean construction scrap, a 2x4, or anything bad.  It's mill scrap, which makes awesome charcoal because it's most likely virgin white or red Oak, Hickory, Maple, Cherry, etc from the Mark Twain and Ozark National Forests.  This is what you use to smoke anyway.

South and Central American charcoals come from very dense woods you cannot pronounce--from species similar to cashew and walnuts.  Very bitter woods, super dense, thus hard to kiln.  Despite what they claim, these countries do not have the rules that the US does about harvesting, labor, nor emissions.  They can clear cut the rainforest, use slave labor to do it, and pump as much particulate into the atmosphere as they want.  That's how they can bring it 5000 miles into the US for basically the cost of freight--far less than what a US manufacture will spend to produce and comply here.  That story is for another day though.

Lastly, yes, you don't want a ton of "fines" (1" minus), because it will choke the airflow.  The dust or small pieces that fall into an ash pan will burn on hotter cooks so you don't necessarily lose those BTU's.  On the other side, if you trying to get a piece of charcoal the size of a cantalope lit--first, it's probably full of water and wood fiber and that's why it's still that big (so you're spending time and BTUs [$] to complete the kilning process that the manufacturer should have done!)  Second, with a low and slow fire use a very small amount of charcoal is actually burning depending on the smoker.  A big chunk like that is acting as a heat sink, so getting a small portion of it to burn is tough when the rest of it is radiating heat is tougher than a couple smaller pieces burning.  Plus the neighboring huge chunk might be too far away for the heat to get to ignite it--that's where the little piece come in.  Faster lighting, and providing a "fire bridge".

The third part of the fire triangle is heat, better known as a kindling temp.  Lump charcoal is about 670F.  So the area that's burning is can be very small to result in a temp of 200F-something in the cooking chamber.  If you're using a BGE or kamado type cooker, that's why things goes "nuclear" when the dome temp hits about 450F or so......down in the firebox, it just hit about 700F and ALL the charcoal lit through "flashover".  That's why that temp needle will wrap all the way around in less than a minute.  Otherwise you're using the draft door and/or chimney to starve the fire of O2--it will burn out-of-control since their nothing else holding it back.

Hope this makes sense......wrote a lot more than I planned to, but science behind fire fascinates me.

EDIT:

Here ya go.....normally all these crannies are clogged with water, tars, and liquors.  The kilning process burns those out and leaves behind a very porous piece of carbon that the O2 can flow through.

https://media.sciencephoto.com/image/c0403815/800wm/C0403815-Charcoal,_SEM.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF10i39VQ4w
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:43:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: delorean] [#40]

View All Quotes

No, always wondered that as well.  He was clothed at the BBQ.

Triple?  That one post lasted longer than the Delorean did.

Getting off topic here, but.....

Yes, well the company did, unfortunately......the car, the spirit, and new company live on 40+ yrs later.  I drove mine around town the other day and saw another DeLorean at the gas station.  I pulled in and talked to the guy, he's had his car for 30 years (I've had mine for 25), we live 10 minutes apart and have never seen each other.  So, they're still around, just elusive.

If you're interested, the latest Netflix documentary was the first to do good job describing the real downfall of the company--and how much the US and British governments & media did to sink it since John Z Delorean was disrupting "big auto".  Two great books, DeLorean Story by a former DMC factory worker, and In Delorean's Shadow by a drug runner that participated in the setup, describe the stories most have never heard.  I've met both of the authors, and JZD himself, many years ago.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:58:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#41]
Getting off topic here, but.....

If you're interested, the latest Netflix documentary was the first to do good job describing the real downfall of the company--and how much the US and British governments & media did to sink it since John Z Delorean was disrupting "big auto".  Two great books, DeLorean Story by a former DMC factory worker, and In Delorean's Shadow by a drug runner that participated in the setup, describe the stories most have never heard.  I've met both of the authors, and JZD himself, many years ago.
View Quote

Thanks.  I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#42]
I use the kingsford hardwood briquettes. Seems to get a little smokier flavor then the regular blue bags. Looks like a typical briquette but with little Unburnt slivers of wood pressed into the mix.

I recently tried the jealous devil lump, it has a really odd chemical Oder to me while it’s getting hot. Lots of big chunks. The smoke from these gives me a asthma symptoms unlike normal kingsford.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 9:23:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#43]
I've been a Royal Oak hater for quite some time now.  Neighbor (who I do a lot of cooking for) bought me two bags recently when Publix had them on BOGO sale.  I was pleasently surprised when I opened one of the bags yesterday.  Huge chunks and no trash.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Royal Oak Lump quality was inconsistent in my experience, but maybe it's improved as of late.

Electric starter FTW!
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 7:16:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigborehound] [#46]
Ace Rewards members can get $5 off a bag of Rockwood.  Not sure for how long.
I ordered 6 bags. Should hold me over for a while.
Comes out to be $24/ 20# bag
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By bigborehound:
Ace Rewards members can get $5 off a bag of Rockwood.  Not sure for how long.
I ordered 6 bags. Should hold me over for a while.
Comes out to be $24/ 20# bag
View Quote

Ace Rewards sales are usually month long sales.  Also, the online prices almost always drop when you select the store and add it to your cart.....then the discount is off that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 1:51:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 2:27:26 AM EDT
[#49]
been a long time but I liked kingsford competition in my UDS. on its own it burned hotter, but choked down in the smoker I found it ran temp more consistently.

for grilling nothing beats lump. it burns hot and clean.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:43:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#50]

Yeah this is what I’ve been using lately.   Been too damned hot to bbq all day, though.  You could damned near slow cook a brisket in a steel trash can in the sun.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top