Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Fogo lump. Best I've used, Home Depot carries it in my area.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]
After 45 years of kingsford(growing up on it, then using it myself), I finally tried another brand... Cowboy briquettes.  I wanted lump but they only had the briquettes at the store I was at.

Ok.. yeah.. they impart a good flavor and last much longer and produce less ash!  Ive used em twice now for mainly indirect cooks.. tritip and smoked chicken.  Cant wait to make something with them again!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/2/2023 5:38:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PPCCFI] [#3]
Oh my goodness.  There is so much information in this thread.  I can't process all of it.

Delorean, just tell me, what should I be using?  You obviously know what you are talking about.

I was going to light the grill tonight, but now I've decided not to.  I am probably using the worst of the worst brand and type of charcoal.  I claim the 5th on disclosing it.

Edit:  Ok, I just ordered FOGO Premium.  Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to try out the Cowboy next. Has anyone had luck finding/making a better charcoal grate?
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:43:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PPCCFI:
Oh my goodness.  There is so much information in this thread.  I can't process all of it.

Delorean, just tell me, what should I be using?  You obviously know what you are talking about.

I was going to light the grill tonight, but now I've decided not to.  I am probably using the worst of the worst brand and type of charcoal.  I claim the 5th on disclosing it.

Edit:  Ok, I just ordered FOGO Premium.  Thanks everyone.
View Quote

I'm partial to US-made charcoal, specifically from Missouri oak, hickory, etc.  But as long as you can break it apart by hand, it's properly kilned to 80-85% so you're not going to get much smoke out of it.  It should sound like broken glass or metal when you pour it out of the bag.  It goes thud and doesn't break when you drop it, you paid for water in wood fiber, not charcoal (yet.)
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Delorean, thanks for all of these posts and information.  I had no idea, none whatsoever.  This is the best thread I've read in a long, long time.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top