Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a trucker but some of the responses in this thread remind me of this episode
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve got to run to Texarkana and pick up 400 cases of Coors and be back in 28 hours.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By InLove:
I hop on I40 by Flagstaff all the time. I'm noticing more foreign truck drivers now than ever. Is it due to being a lucrative trade with minimal schooling or is it due to foreigners loaning money for rigs to other foreigners..?
View Quote

My theory is this:

The general public has zero idea how many hours we work. I didn't know the expectations when I enrolled in school and the employers typically lie to new hires during the hiring process.

Our employers are legally allowed to work us up to 70 hours a week. And most companies will push a driver right to the edge of what's legal. Of course this varies by company but overall, we work a lot.

Sure, I made $115k last year driving. Not bad for a second year driver and 3 months of school. But I average 65 hours a week in some of the most dangerous conditions imaginable for multiple months out of the year. At night. I recently racked up over 500 miles in a week chained up. I've driven more miles chained up this season than most drivers do jn 5-10 years.

It also takes a serious toll on your home life.

For these reasons, a lot of Americans don't want to do this job. It's seriously rough sometimes.

Foreigners don't seem to mind the hours and conditions as much.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:12:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#4]
My usual, sawdust and wood shavings out of the bins at the mill, take that 150 miles up hwy 299- tip the whole rig on the wheelabater at the energy plant in Anderson

Get back on the 5 for 20 miles to Shasta Lake hit the bins at that mill for a load of wood chips and head back up Hwy 299 to home base.

5 days a week.

Also- what "JoshInReno" said..
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s hard finding drivers. I don’t pay amazing $27 a hour starting, but we do pay overtime, insurance, vacation, and cell phone. Home every night, guaranteed 40 hours a week.  Can’t find anyone.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
The Europeans do axle and bridge weights different than we do in the US. They prefer lots of tires on the ground for lower ground pressure per axle. In the US they want more space between axle groups to spread out the load on each bridge section.

The above is a simplified explanation, it gets way more complicated.
View Quote

So can those European trucks with lots of tires and axels carry more weight or no?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Got out of hauling mulch and wood fiber and start fuel hauling in super tankers on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By barbcue:
My usual, sawdust and wood shavings out of the bins at the mill, take that 150 miles up hwy 299- tip the whole rig on the wheelabater at the energy plant in Anderson

Get back on the 5 for 20 miles to Shasta Lake hit the bins at that mill for a load of wood chips and head back up Hwy 299 to home base.

5 days a week.

Also- what "JoshInReno" said..
View Quote

What!!?? Actually BURNING something in a power plant in CA??
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:02:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#9]
Yup can you believe it ?

There are several energy plants here in North California that burn Bark, Sawdust, Pallets,Walnut husks, Wood shavings etc for Energy and sell it to PG&E.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:

So can those European trucks with lots of tires and axels carry more weight or no?
View Quote

(A) yes, they carry more weight

(B) they do not run super singles

(C) the trailers don’t run duals

(D) with the single axle on the tractor, and triple axles (singles) on the trailer, it’s easier to maneuver in the extremely tight streets

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, shit! Does anyone have a turbo for a Cummins ISX laying around?

I made it a bit over 100 miles and was just getting out of the worst of the snow just south of Wheatland and my turbo decided to exit stage right.

The shop is sending a pickup and a wrecker to pick me up.
View Quote

Damn! She grenaded?

Mine let go in May of 2021. Our wrecker brought me a spare tractor and took mine with him. I was maybe 40 miles from the shop, thankfully. Had me back in business the next day.

That fucking spare truck is all the reason I’m the world for me to go easy on my equipment whenever possible.

My exploded turbo in the scrap bin:

Attachment Attached File

Just finishing a mild pull up a hill, and “pooooo!!”, white smoke, no power. Threw her to neutral and coasted to the shoulder.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Dan1918A2:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157991/D6DED38D-42C6-472E-A029-C65B3DF2CA7C_jpe-2769281.JPG

Just finishing a mild pull up a hill, and “pooooo!!”, white smoke, no power. Threw her to neutral and coasted to the shoulder.
View Quote

Jeebus, the size of those pistons
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Seth_Livzz:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157991/D6DED38D-42C6-472E-A029-C65B3DF2CA7C_jpe-2769281.JPG

5.12” diameter, IIRC.

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

I saved one out of my 14.7 liter Cat when I did an in frame rebuild. 5.4 inches, 6 lbs.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 12:10:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#15]

Damn! She grenaded?

Mine let go in May of 2021. Our wrecker brought me a spare tractor and took mine with him. I was maybe 40 miles from the shop, thankfully. Had me back in business the next day.

That fucking spare truck is all the reason I'm the world for me to go easy on my equipment whenever possible.

My exploded turbo in the scrap bin:

Just finishing a mild pull up a hill, and "pooooo!!", white smoke, no power. Threw her to neutral and coasted to the shoulder.
View Quote
"Just finishing a mild pull up a hill, and "pooooo!!", white smoke, no power." and the boost gauge showing zero

Pretty much exactly word for word what happened to me this morning, it wasn't loud enough so I figured I didn't blow a hose (I was hoping that's all it was). I got lucky and was about 1 1/2 mile from a parking area so I limped in there. Lost a shit load of engine oil in the mile and a half through the exhaust.

It got towed to a shop before the blizzard kicked in today, after the storm clears and the roads open we're towing it to our shop to get fixed so I don't know what the insides looks like yet.

ETA: The Turbo is the original one from the old engine (2015) when they put the new engine in they swapped the old turbo to the new engine. This truck has worked hard it's whole life, it's always pulling heavy so it's not a big surprise that it let go.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 12:32:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#16]
Originally Posted By Woodchuck1:

(A) yes, they carry more weight

(B) they do not run super singles

(C) the trailers don't run duals

(D) with the single axle on the tractor, and triple axles (singles) on the trailer, it's easier to maneuver in the extremely tight streets

View Quote

This a Scheuerle InterCombi trailer, popular in Europe (and somewhat here) Each axle has 8 tires (from side to side) lots of axles and tires but the spacing is only 5' between each axle. Lots of tires so lower ground pressure per tire but the problem is the 5' spacing. We have problems permitting over the road with heavy loads with these because the engineers are looking at how much weight you're putting on each bridge section not necessarily how much weight per tire you have.

Each axle also steers so it's very maneuverable for it's size.

This is a Faymonville HighwayMAX II. These are becoming very popular here in the US. There are only 4 tires per axle so more ground pressure per tire for the same weight but the trailer can extend out in two sections so you can have 3 axle groups of 3 with spacing of up to 24' between axle groups. The spacing between groups gives you a higher permit-able bridge weight on the highways.

All axles also steer on this trailer

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Picked up a brand new Volvo two weeks ago.  I just turned 7000 on the odometer.  Fired my student yesterday.  Ran a load of Pepsi from Tracy CA to Phoenix today.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 2:04:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#18]

This a Scheuerle InterCombi trailer, popular in Europe (and somewhat here) Each axle has 8 tires (from side to side) lots of axles and tires but the spacing is only 5' between each axle. Lots of tires so lower ground pressure per tire but the problem is the 5' spacing. We have problems permitting over the road with heavy loads with these because the engineers are looking at how much weight you're putting on each bridge section not necessarily how much weight per tire you have.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/029-1409394.jpg

This is a Faymonville HighwayMAX II. These are becoming very popular here in the US. There are only 4 tires per axle so more ground pressure per tire for the same weight but the trailer can extend out in two sections so you can have 3 axle groups of 3 with spacing of up to 24' between axle groups. The spacing between groups gives you a higher permit-able bridge weight on the highways.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/LR_1500_Crane_House-2661991.jpg

View All Quotes

The original question was specifically about regular rigs, not heavy haul.  I was answering the question - as it pertains to regular trucks, not the specialized tractors and trailers you’re using.  

The replies he got were either flat out wrong from my observations (‘they use super singles’) or then, your post seemed to go in the direction of heavy haul, which he had specified wasn’t what he was asking.  

🙂

I have a question for you guys with normal rigs and weights, not applicable to some of the stuff Seabee Mech hauls

I was curious about the European lorry version of a semi trailer.  They seem to prefer single wheels but more axles on their trailers, does this allow for a heavier load distributed over more ground surface or what's the deal?  I also notice their tires are bigger than what I see on most US trailers.

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 2:17:24 AM EDT
[#19]
53 tons of sand at a time, 14 mile round trip, 8 trips today and will be on this job all week along with about 25 other trucks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 4:20:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Nothing today.  Can't even say my truck hauls ass.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Woodchuck1:

The original question was specifically about regular rigs, not heavy haul.  I was answering the question - as it pertains to regular trucks, not the specialized tractors and trailers you're using.  

The replies he got were either flat out wrong from my observations ('they use super singles') or then, your post seemed to go in the direction of heavy haul, which he had specified wasn't what he was asking.  

View Quote
Sorry, my post wasn't directed at you so much as it was trying to explain the more vs less axles/ US vs Europe truck setups. (call it quote button misuse)

USCG_CPO, more info to go with your question:

Super singles (at least here in the US) are mostly a weight savings thing (approx 200 lbs per axle) by eliminating the amount of rims on a truck to get a few more pounds of payable freight in the box, they have some advantages but also some disadvantages. I prefer the traditional dual tire set up, with a flat tire on duals you can still limp to a safe area, with super singles you're DIW unless you want to wreck an expensive rim.

The formulas the engineers use to set allowable axle weight limits are the same whether you're a 5 axle Swift truck or a 19 axle heavy haul (outside of special permits). Here in the US more axles doesn't necessarily allow you to carry more weight (without getting into special permits), the Europeans have different limits and tend to prefer trucks and trailers with more axles and smaller spacing where here in the US they want more spacing between groups. More axles with less spread can actually reduce the amount you can weigh.

For a deep dive: Federal Bridge Formula Weights https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/publications/brdg_frm_wghts/

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#22]

I made it a bit over 100 miles and was just getting out of the worst of the snow just south of Wheatland and my turbo decided to exit stage right.

View Quote

Don't forget to get a new CAC or have them reverse blow it out at a minimum.

Father-in-law didn't on his 3406 Cat and wound up needing ANOTHER turbo a few weeks later.

Good luck....that's truckin'!
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Soconmtneer:
I’ve got to run to Texarkana and pick up 400 cases of Coors and be back in 28 hours.
View Quote

You know that ain't never been done before...
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Wings2Wheels:

Father-in-law didn't on his 3406 Cat and wound up needing ANOTHER turbo a few weeks later.

View Quote
It's why I prefer to drive company equipment, I get paid even sitting broke down in a parking area. My cousin is a single truck O/O, the money looks good from the outside but the risks and work load goes up along with it. In the end we come out close to the same money wise.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the replies, I find all this shit interesting.  I have always enjoyed listening to and watching big trucks work.  I had several uncles who were short haul and long haul truckers plus I have a HS friend who owns his own business.  

He must have nerves of steel cause he will often have a load to deliver from the mid-west to NYC

I cant imagine navigating those streets in a big rig.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the replies, I find all this shit interesting.  I have always enjoyed listening to and watching big trucks work.  I had several uncles who were short haul and long haul truckers plus I have a HS friend who owns his own business.  

He must have nerves of steel cause he will often have a load to deliver from the mid-west to NYC

View Quote
I delivered produce to Hunts Point Terminal Market, NY one time. The hell with that shit, I'll stick to hauling super loads out west.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:00:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: diesel1] [#27]

View All Quotes

Not just the turbo that one has to worry about. SOP after repair of a turbo failure is to run the return pipe into a bucket and let the turbo blow out the charge air cooler (for non-diesel peeps: big air-to-air radiator to cool the boosted air from the turbo) into a bucket. Purpose is to get out any debris OR OIL that may be in the CAC. Diesels WILL run on lube oil as "fuel" and will run wild until they blow up. Mechanics at a former shop learned that the hard way.

Probably best to pull the CAC and send it to a radiator shop for cleaning. Or, as mentioned, just replace it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:28:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mstennes] [#28]
Originally Posted By JP_in_STL:

They run Super Singles a lot more than you see them here in the US.  Still mostly dual wheel here in the States.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JP_in_STL:
I have a question for you guys with normal rigs and weights, not applicable to some of the stuff Seabee Mech hauls

I was curious about the European lorry version of a semi trailer.  They seem to prefer single wheels but more axles on their trailers, does this allow for a heavier load distributed over more ground surface or what's the deal?  I also notice their tires are bigger than what I see on most US trailers.

They run Super Singles a lot more than you see them here in the US.  Still mostly dual wheel here in the States.

We run super singles on the front, and on our pup trailers, we also run them on the side dumps and belly dumps. We get more flotation and we have found less flats from picking up rocks then getting stuck between the duals. We do still run duals on the drivers.
ETA,
The box was supposed to get painted this last winter down time, unfortunately it was hauling snow so no down time.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:38:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LoBrau] [#29]

View Quote

How do the axles steer? Just a passive trailing link setup of some sort? I could see that being difficult to reverse, so maybe something else?
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I delivered produce to Hunts Point Terminal Market, NY one time. The hell with that shit, I'll stick to hauling super loads out west.
View All Quotes

You ain’t lying.

I got my class A and was thrown directly to the wolves with routes in DC, NoVA, Baltimore, etc. While it was initially a nightmare, it made me learn faster than shit. Nothing sounds intimidating anymore. Been in GA since 2014, Atlanta traffic was an easy transition.

Where I run now, I’m almost always way east of Atlanta on I-20 and on the 2 lane country highways. Feels like being partially retired in comparison. I’m not too far removed to appreciate that I have it damn good.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Bulldog Mack with a can on back.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:01:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#32]
Originally Posted By LoBrau:

How do the axles steer? Just a passive trailing link setup of some sort?
View Quote
Hydraulic over mechanical.

On the Scheuerle trailer the front half of the trailer is steered by mechanical linkages connected to the draw bar, the axles are connected with tie rods. There are two hydraulic cylinders that are linked to the draw bar/front steering, those cylinders sends fluid back to two rear cylinders on the back half of the trailer when the draw bar moves, those rear cylinders provide steering input to the rear half of the trailer.

The HighwayMax kind of works on the same principle but there is a rotating disk and a wedge on the 5th wheel plate of the trailer that creates the hydraulic input as the truck turns. Each 3 axle group is connected by tie rods, the 3 separate sections are connected to each other hydraulically.

I hope the formatting comes out right:

(tie rods) (hydraulic)  (tie rods) (hydraulic) (tie rods)
 O-O-O <--------------> O-O-O<------------->O-O-O

Going down the road the truck controls the trailer steering automatically but both trailers can be remote steered with a wireless remote and an aux engine/hydraulic pump instead of by truck input for tight maneuvering.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Deadheaded 300 miles on Sunday from our shop right back to the shop. Last time I hauled something was in Feb. kind of taking a break from all that and now I’m sitting in a hospital waiting on kid #2 to show up so I’ll be away from work for the next 3 months.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By AardvarkRatnik:
Bulldog Mack with a can on back.
View Quote

Two stack Mack with a window in the the back.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#35]

On the Scheuerle trailer the front half of the trailer is steered by mechanical linkages connected to the draw bar, the axles are connected with tie rods. There are two hydraulic cylinders that are linked to the draw bar/front steering, those cylinders sends fluid back to two rear cylinders on the back half of the trailer when the draw bar moves, those rear cylinders provide steering input to the rear half of the trailer.

The HighwayMax kind of works on the same principle but there is a rotating disk and a wedge on the 5th wheel plate of the trailer that creates the hydraulic input as the truck turns. Each 3 axle group is connected by tie rods, the 3 separate sections are connected to each other hydraulically.

O-O-O  O-O-OO-O-O

Going down the road the truck controls the trailer steering automatically but both trailers can be remote steered with a wireless remote and an aux engine/hydraulic pump instead of by truck input for tight maneuvering.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LoBrau:

How do the axles steer? Just a passive trailing link setup of some sort?

O-O-O  O-O-OO-O-O

Very cool, thank you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I just picked up a job hauling 8-10 loads of bees. A 48’ loaded with sting is going to be fun.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By bondryan:
I just picked up a job hauling 8-10 loads of bees. A 48' loaded with sting is going to be fun.
View Quote
I've always wondered if DOT gives bee haulers a wide berth, I can't image them beeing (see what I did there ) too gung-ho about doing a Level 2 on you guys.

I know the truck stops don't like you guys hanging around.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#38]
I've always wondered if DOT gives bee haulers a wide berth, I can't image them beeing (see what I did there ) too gung-ho about doing a Level 2 on you guys.

View Quote

I remember when Bees weren't netted.  I worked at a truck stop when I was in high school.  There would be bees on the windshields of trucks for hours after a bee hauler came through.

As far as DOT, I would imagine a load of bees would be a great place to smuggle some drugs.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MobileHomie:

I remember when Bees weren't netted.  I worked at a truck stop when I was in high school.  There would be bees on the windshields of trucks for hours after a bee hauler came through.

As far as DOT, I would imagine a load of bees would be a great place to smuggle some drugs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MobileHomie:

I’m just doing local work. Bee guy trucks them from Cali to a collection yard, I get loaded at dark, and then I drive them out to the orchard on their roads and landings and they unload me.

It’s for a local orchard, their trucks are both broke down with def issues so they called me.

I do know that my bee guy said he got stopped at a scale on I5 for being overweight and they sent him to tech inspection. He got out and instantly started undoing his nets. Dot asked what he was doing and he told them they would die in the heat if he didn’t open the nets up and that he would have to stay parked in the same spot all day until the bees quit flying. He said they told him to get his net back on and leave.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 2:15:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dan1918A2] [#40]

I’m just doing local work. Bee guy trucks them from Cali to a collection yard, I get loaded at dark, and then I drive them out to the orchard on their roads and landings and they unload me.

It’s for a local orchard, their trucks are both broke down with def issues so they called me.

I do know that my bee guy said he got stopped at a scale on I5 for being overweight and they sent him to tech inspection. He got out and instantly started undoing his nets. Dot asked what he was doing and he told them they would die in the heat if he didn’t open the nets up and that he would have to stay parked in the same spot all day until the bees quit flying. He said they told him to get his net back on and leave.
View Quote

Lol, nice, diesel bears wanted no part of that action.

Also, both trucks down for DEF related issues? No fucking way. I don’t believe it.

And now that CA successfully had that shit forced upon everyone at a national level years ago, they’re abandoning it and saying electric trucks are the only way. Which will be a failure.

Liberals and the organizations they run are pure cancer. Nothing they’ve ever touched has gotten better. Ever.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#41]
I just picked up a job hauling 8-10 loads of bees. A 48’ loaded with sting is going to be fun.
View Quote

Did that once....ONCE.  Half a load of empty bee boxes, half live.  Loaded after sunset near Ft. Myers, FL, dropped early the following afternoon in Bristol, FL, on the panhandle.

Due to mix-ups with the broker (initially said Ft. Lauderdale area, we're enroute and it changes to Ft. Myers), plus them adding live hives (was supposed to be all empties) I kept racking the rate up and the broker couldn't really say no (or was going to pay for truck ordered, not used PLUS another truck) and it became the highest per-mile rate I ever was paid.

Loved it when the Fruit Police saw me pulling in on I-10 and they just closed their sliding window up and waved me through.

Picture of Brutus (my '79 K100) when I was dropping off:
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

Easy money.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#43]
ass
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Blech....electronic logs.

If I was running today, I'd STILL be on paper logs with a pre-emissions motor.

F California and any other state/port that requires neutered motors.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#45]

Lol, nice, diesel bears wanted no part of that action.

Also, both trucks down for DEF related issues? No fucking way. I don’t believe it.

And now that CA successfully had that shit forced upon everyone at a national level years ago, they’re abandoning it and saying electric trucks are the only way. Which will be a failure.

Liberals and the organizations they run are pure cancer. Nothing they’ve ever touched has gotten better. Ever.
View Quote

At one point this year we had all three of our trucks down to emissions issues. All under 450k miles, and all maintained better than the manual requires.

1 ISX15
1 X15
1 DD15

I’m selling the two Cummins trucks, keeping the Detroit and buying myself a pre emissions, pre e-log T800 like I started with. The Detroit gets deleted next week, don’t need a warranty because every warranty claim I’ve had has been due to emissions BS anyways
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By shootstraight93:
53 tons of sand at a time, 14 mile round trip, 8 trips today and will be on this job all week along with about 25 other trucks.
View Quote
I would lose my mind doing that.
I ran into a couple of drivers at one of the local bars that are working on a new reservoir being built near me.
They are driving haul trucks and their job 10 hours a day 6 days a week is to get loaded, drive about 1/2 a mile dump then get back in line to get loaded again and repeat.
Like one of them told me "they are paying me for the neck down" because it's damn near mindless factory work.
Granted they are paid fairly well but I get bored easily and couldn't do it for more than a few days.
I have a few buddies that are also working on the same project and it's a pretty damn impressive feat of engineering they are working on.
https://www.northernwater.org/CHRP
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Tell you what, I've never seen a bull hauler in the inspection bay at the chicken house
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By mpatch:
I would lose my mind doing that.
I ran into a couple of drivers at one of the local bars that are working on a new reservoir being built near me.
They are driving haul trucks and their job 10 hours a day 6 days a week is to get loaded, drive about 1/2 a mile dump then get back in line to get loaded again and repeat.
Like one of them told me "they are paying me for the neck down" because it's damn near mindless factory work.
Granted they are paid fairly well but I get bored easily and couldn't do it for more than a few days.
I have a few buddies that are also working on the same project and it's a pretty damn impressive feat of engineering they are working on.
https://www.northernwater.org/CHRP
View Quote

It’s definitely not the most glorious job, but I’m thankful for MI Bridge laws and paid by ton jobs especially when the operators on either end are great to work with.

With freight rates what they are right now I’m glad I’m not hauling a van. We do a little RGN work as well but that’s been watered down by all the Van haulers thinking they can haul equipment for 3.90 a mile.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Barrelburner:
Tell you what, I've never seen a bull hauler in the inspection bay at the chicken house
View Quote

Because they don't fucking slow down for nothin'.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:

Because they don't fucking slow down for nothin'.
View Quote

I typically drive 5-7 mph over on the freeway, there is a small two man operation in my area that hauls two bull racks and those guys pass me like I’m standing still a few times a week when I’m on the same route as them.

Not sure how they aren’t getting smoked with tickets like I have in the past.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top