Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Part time trucker. Moving my stuff from Missouri to Texas in a diesel truck and a 20ft cargo. I have been enjoying slow rolling in the right lane, listening to turbo whine every now and then. Be safe out there!
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Barrelburner:
Tell you what, I've never seen a bull hauler in the inspection bay at the chicken house
View Quote
That's because they go around them. No self respecting bull or hog hauler would drive down a road with a scale on it. They'd take 30 miles of gravel to go around.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Hats off to you folks that operate these rigs.  I have a healthy respect for y’all.  I could never drive such distances and not get tired.  Four hours is about my max.  Six if I’m in my wife’s car.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 2:43:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Brawndo:
That's because they go around them. No self respecting bull or hog hauler would drive down a road with a scale on it. They'd take 30 miles of gravel to go around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brawndo:
Tell you what, I've never seen a bull hauler in the inspection bay at the chicken house

That's funny - I see long lines of them at the Truckee scale on I80 going into California. Every day.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 3:54:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dan1918A2] [#5]
Getting loaded now. Type-1L cement. (Just the powder)

Attachment Attached File

On top opening the hatch for loading:

Attachment Attached File

Loaded, ready to roll. Attachment Attached File

Auto load kiosk gave me 26 tons on the nose.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 3:58:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Been hauling around 102K to the mills lately. But, road restrictions went on last week. Delivered the last of some Pine pulp today. Off till breakup is over. We have material stockpiled to move but it's been a long winter.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 5:56:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dan1918A2] [#7]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:

Because they don't fucking slow down for nothin'.
View All Quotes

Because they don't fucking slow down for nothin'.

DOT doesn’t even look at them up and down I-20 in GA and AL.  I’ve pulled into the coops before and watched 2 or 3 bull racks running together just blow past the scale house without a second thought. All the money they save on tickets must go towards chrome and big radios.

I see them thumping down the road every day on their way to and from the big slaughter house in Augusta, GA.  I just grab the right lane and let them keep rolling. The faster they pass, the less chance of my truck getting shit on.

I do like seeing those rigs. Especially at night.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 6:07:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Any of you haul cars for "Virginia Transportation?"

If so, please PM me or @ me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sakohntr:
Been hauling around 102K to the mills lately. But, road restrictions went on last week. Delivered the last of some Pine pulp today. Off till breakup is over. We have material stockpiled to move but it's been a long winter.
View Quote
We don't do frost laws here but in North Dakota "technically" I can't even bobtail legally when they're in effect in many counties. My steers are a touch over 16,000 when I'm bobtail.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Dan1918A2:

DOT doesn't even look at them up and down I-20 in GA and AL.  I've pulled into the coops before and watched 2 or 3 bull racks running together just blow past the scale house without a second thought. All the money they save on tickets must go towards chrome and big radios.

I see them thumping down the road every day on their way to and from the big slaughter house in Augusta, GA.  I just grab the right lane and let them keep rolling. The faster they pass, the less chance of my truck getting shit on.

I do like seeing those rigs. Especially at night.
View Quote
Many of them do run some nice looking rigs.

The way I understand it, part of the reason DOT doesn't screw with them too much is the livestock can only be on the trailer for a certain amount of time (28 hours max, including loading and unloading time), if they get delayed too long or get put out of service the livestock must be unloaded and put up somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 12:56:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondryan] [#11]

I’m hauling fertilizer today. My reefer is hauling fir trees to the Indians.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bondryan:
https://i.imgur.com/8kHA52I.jpg

View Quote

Looks like it gets sloshy when you stop.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bondryan:
https://i.imgur.com/8kHA52I.jpg

It’s dry so doesn’t move a ton.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 2:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#14]
Coming out of the Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN my truck shut down completely at the 198 yardstick on I-57 in the rain, in a one lane construction zone
Attachment Attached File

I coasted to a stop right next to the 197 yardstick, just outside the construction zone.  I had hazard lights and marker lights and nothing else.

I cycled the key repeatedly, gave up, and then proceeded to get soaked and terrified putting my triangles out in the rain on the side of the interstate.

About 20 minutes later, while I was on the phone with Kim in the shop, the truck started up normally.  I turned it off and on a few times, everything worked, and I proceeded to book a hotel in Effingham, optimistic that I might make it an hour further.

I did.

...until the truck shut down again right before my exit in Effingham.

Same thing, cycle the key, cuss at the truck, wait a while.  It started up and I drove over to my hotel. There's a Peterbilt store an exit away but they won't take a loaded truck.

A co-worker is in the area and we'll be putting this load on him momentarily.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Picking up cups and burger boxes for Jack In The Box going all of 15 miles down the road.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Coming out of the Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN my truck shut down completely at the 198 yardstick on I-57 in the rain, in a one lane construction zone
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230405_162653738_jpg-2771531.JPG

I coasted to a stop right next to the 197 yardstick, just outside the construction zone.  I had hazard lights and marker lights and nothing else.

I cycled the key repeatedly, gave up, and then proceeded to get soaked and terrified putting my triangles out in the rain on the side of the interstate.

About 20 minutes later, while I was on the phone with Kim in the shop, the truck started up normally.  I turned it off and on a few times, everything worked, and I proceeded to book a hotel in Effingham, optimistic that I might make it an hour further.

I did.

Same thing, cycle the key, cuss at the truck, wait a while.  It started up and I drove over to my hotel. There's a Peterbilt store an exit away but they won't take a loaded truck.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230405_175301531-01-01_jpeg-2771538.JPG

View Quote
That sucks. I had a Kenworth that would do that randomly, one time at the top of Raton Pass, fortunately I was in the scale when it happened. Like you after a bunch of key turns and about 20-30 minutes it would fire right up. It would go months with no problem and the then for no reason it would throw it's fit, then it would be fine for weeks again. The shop never did find the problem. Glitch in the Matrix I guess.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#18]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230405_162653738_jpg-2771531.JPG

I did.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230405_175301531-01-01_jpeg-2771538.JPG

View Quote

Damn, dude. That suuuuucks. At least you’re not in a dangerous spot now.

How long will it take to unload those? If they’re all the same model, can you load them on the other truck as the come off yours? Or do they have to be loaded in the exact same sequence? Guess it all depends on what’s going where. All the same dealership, probably doesn’t matter.

Trucking talk aside, we have a Subaru Ascent that we love. It’s the wife’s daily family hauler. As far as I know, she’s not a lesbian. Not yet anyway.

Thing is actually pretty damn quick. It’s great on a long  2 lane when you cross the zipper to safely pass, and it upsets the slowpoke’s ego and he floors it. The Subaru smokes them every time. Can’t do that in the big truck. 73mph is all she’ll do. Can’t complain, that’s better than most.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#19]

How long will it take to unload those? If they're all the same model, can you load them on the other truck as the come off yours? Or do they have to be loaded in the exact same sequence? Guess it all depends on what's going where. All the same dealership, probably doesn't matter.

View Quote

Took about an hour to unload my truck while he reloaded his. I pulled forward enough to drive off the back and he nosed in two spots over.

With these trucks and this load (one Ascent, two Legacy sedans and six Outbacks) you could basically put anything anywhere, so he pretty much did.

It took me three hours to load in Lafayette because my cars were not close.  At all.  I was parked at the red mark (left side) and my nine vehicles were spread out within the blue box.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

On average I would say I load cars in an hour or so and unload in 30-45 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Took about an hour to unload my truck while he reloaded his. I pulled forward enough to drive off the back and he nosed in two spots over.

With these trucks and this load (one Ascent, two Legacy sedans and six Outbacks) you could basically put anything anywhere, so he pretty much did.

It took me three hours to load in Lafayette because my cars were not close.  At all.  I was parked at the red mark (left side) and my nine vehicles were spread out within the blue box.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_20230405-173728_2_png-2771775.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_20230405-173020_png-2771769.JPG

On average I would say I load cars in an hour or so and unload in 30-45 minutes.
View All Quotes

How long will it take to unload those? If they're all the same model, can you load them on the other truck as the come off yours? Or do they have to be loaded in the exact same sequence? Guess it all depends on what's going where. All the same dealership, probably doesn't matter.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_20230405-173728_2_png-2771775.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_20230405-173020_png-2771769.JPG

Good to know. Thanks for the explanation. You’re getting more walking in than 95% of people who drive for a paycheck.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Dry groceries....5 days a week.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
That sucks. I had a Kenworth that would do that randomly, one time at the top of Raton Pass, fortunately I was in the scale when it happened. Like you after a bunch of key turns and about 20-30 minutes it would fire right up. It would go months with no problem and the then for no reason it would throw it's fit, then it would be fine for weeks again. The shop never did find the problem. Glitch in the Matrix I guess.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:

I did.

I had a Volvo that had a coolant sensor of some sort go bad about 50 miles outside of Coachella Ca. That fucker would go into limp mode for a short time then shut down. I’d have to sit for about 15-20 minutes then start it and repeat the process.

That 50 miles to the TA in Coachella took a long long time. I somehow managed to talk the mechanics into letting me sleep in the sleeper while they worked on it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By larkinmusic:
Looks like nitrogen tonight.  Less than 250 miles tonight
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84490/20230401_201419_jpg-2767167.JPG
View Quote

Hell yeah. @larkinmusic

I work in the Air sep world too. Worked for Praxair, Airgas etc.. neither could keep drivers.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 2:43:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Any truckers in here from Ohio? I will be moving there soon and will be looking for work after I get settled. I want to get the HazMat certification and I hope to get in to fuels or gases.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:05:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Blackhalo:

Hell yeah. @larkinmusic

I work in the Air sep world too. Worked for Praxair, Airgas etc.. neither could keep drivers.
View Quote

I love this work and I'm lucky that I work at a good terminal with a good manager.  The pay is almost as good as it gets in trucking and as long as you follow their safery rules they leave us alone.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Here’s what I’m doing today
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:37:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dan1918A2] [#27]

Whatcha spreading?

I can hear what I assume is a C15 (or 3406?) idling and making that grille rattle just looking at your pic. Distinct sound.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SEAN10MM:
Any truckers in here from Ohio? I will be moving there soon and will be looking for work after I get settled. I want to get the HazMat certification and I hope to get in to fuels or gases.
View Quote

Ohioan here. I don't run too much hazmat unless it's in chem totes on my skateboard.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:42:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mstennes] [#29]

Whatcha spreading?

I can hear what I assume is a C15 (or 3406?) idling and making that grille rattle just looking at your pic. Distinct sound.
View All Quotes

Whatcha spreading?

Why yes it is a C15 550, with a 18 speed. It is such a heavy duty truck (used to be one of our lowboy tractors) it was decided to be kept. It usually runs a side dump. Today I was spreading 1-1/4 rock on a new bypass road we’re building. I like truck and pup better but damn nothings more fun than blowing and going. Pop the gates at about 30 and blade operators just have to fine tune.

ETA, our fleet has three 550 C15’s, 3 ISX 550’s, a X15 550, a X15 600 and 2 - 510 MX13’s which are the biggest pieces of shit ever built.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:50:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LineHaul] [#30]
Respect to all the drivers.  I had a few guys pulling truss’s out of Noltex in Houston today, another running metal for Ryerson and a few pulling reefers out of different AWG’s.  Tn, LA and KS mostly
Y’all stay safe out there!
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I went to Coca Cola for 43,000 pounds of coke fountain syrup.  

They are notorious for being slow.  7:08 from the time I bumped the dock until I got a green light.  

I’m hourly so I didn’t get mad.  I called dispatch every hour though.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Don't see many belly dumps around here on the west side anymore.

I put that same trailer into American Truck Simulator
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I hauled half a load of fir trees to Salem today.

Heading east on 84 through the gorge is a road construction joke right now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Nothing,  I'm off till Monday night
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 1:16:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

I know we use them allot, as well as other companies on the eastern side. Truth be told for spreading rock they can’t be beat, much quicker turn around times and the blade operators spend less time fixing grade.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 1:51:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By CornfieldCong:

Same here. Paid loaded or empty. Taking my 34 in Marshfield, WI. Might be taking on another student in a couple weeks. Which won't be too bad. Double my money.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CornfieldCong:

I'm off today but I'm preloaded for Monday.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_20230401-174708_png-2766924.JPG

Deadheading from my last drop in Muskogee, OK to Subaru America in Lafayette, IN.  I get paid loaded and empty.

Same here. Paid loaded or empty. Taking my 34 in Marshfield, WI. Might be taking on another student in a couple weeks. Which won't be too bad. Double my money.

Roehl?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 3:37:07 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm taking sailboat fuel back to the terminal tonight
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 5:17:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#38]
I wish those of us that are Truck Drivers had a forum of our own.

Trucking is very much about sharing Knowledge, Contacts, The "scoop" on jobs etc.
There are many aspects to the profession/career- and it would be great to have a place here to sort thru it for those of us that are members that are also "DRIVERS."

And even for those looking for a new career or an alternative career in Trucking there are many here that are more than happy to answer questions on getting started.

There has been (at least to me) a noticable "uptick" here on the subject in the last couple years.

(Edited to add)

*AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT*

Just make sure the MODERATOR is also a "Truck Driver"
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By diesel1:

What!!?? Actually BURNING something in a power plant in CA??
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By diesel1:
Originally Posted By barbcue:
My usual, sawdust and wood shavings out of the bins at the mill, take that 150 miles up hwy 299- tip the whole rig on the wheelabater at the energy plant in Anderson

Get back on the 5 for 20 miles to Shasta Lake hit the bins at that mill for a load of wood chips and head back up Hwy 299 to home base.

5 days a week.

Also- what "JoshInReno" said..

What!!?? Actually BURNING something in a power plant in CA??

there's several plants in LowCal (Imperial Valley) that used to burn old hay and one that tried running dried out
cow shit, but it wasn't dried enough & rusted the plant (? so i was told)
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Ended up with nearly 40k of car batteries today.

Also ran into a snowstorm that was bigger than expected. I despise California's chain checkpoints. I'm glad I was prepared but I hate chaining doubles and three railers. And I've had way, way too much practice this season.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#41]
I dropped my transformers today in Ft Myers and am back on the East Coast waiting on my aircraft parts going to MIA tonight.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Picking up a load of steel in Chicago and running it to Ryerson in PA tomorrow... Probably gonna be chilling in the overnight lot.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Hauling more cars, but I'm in one of our 2022 Peterbilts living that long hood life.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By barbcue:
I wish those of us that are Truck Drivers had a forum of our own.

Trucking is very much about sharing Knowledge, Contacts, The "scoop" on jobs etc.
There are many aspects to the profession/career- and it would be great to have a place here to sort thru it for those of us that are members that are also "DRIVERS."

And even for those looking for a new career or an alternative career in Trucking there are many here that are more than happy to answer questions on getting started.

There has been (at least to me) a noticable "uptick" here on the subject in the last couple years.

(Edited to add)

*AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT*

Just make sure the MODERATOR is also a "Truck Driver"
View Quote

Really good idea, here.  

Correct on all points.  

Networking and knowledge transfer from those of us with experience without being shouted down by the truck-haters would be pretty valuable for both other experienced drivers looking for work, or new guys looking to get into the industry.    Between JoshinReno, PhuzzyPnu, SeabeeMech, and myself (possibly others I’m not aware of), we have folks that can offer pretty specialized advice, speaking from having worked our way into the top of our respective areas of experience.  

@Subnet

I’d like to nominate @barbcue for trucking forum moderator as well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm hauling my tools around to fix what equipment operators break.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:37:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#48]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
I love 389s so much (...) it's like THE iconic American truck.
View Quote

All of our 2023 trucks so far are sleeper "hoods".  I love how they look, ride, drive and sound.

I just don't want a sleeper.  Truck stops suck even if you aren't in a 90' long loaded carhauler.  Our sleeper drivers aren't allowed to stay in hotels every night.

It's a shame. Our sleeper trucks are pretty pimp.

Attachment Attached File

The sleeper also limits what vehicles you can load on certain positions on the truck.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Subnet:

I'm not opposed to it, personally. A lot of people have pointed out to me that we have A LOT of forums though, and most don't really see much traffic. You'd have to understand and accept that it'd be pretty quiet in there, since we won't move trucking threads started in GD to it.
View Quote

@subnet

That makes sense.    

I think the trucking threads in GD devolve pretty quickly, so a spot where it didn’t generate as much unrelated traffic would be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Hot loads and no ELD.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top