Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Golf
Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a set of '69 Wilson Staff Bullet Back's that were my dads.
I like to take them out to teh local par 3 now and then.
Mis hit just a little and the fingers tingle for a few holes. Especially if it's cold out. Flash back to when I was a little kid learning the game.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#2]
We don’t use handicaps golfing on the side bets. We require the best scorer on a hole to take a shot to equalize the playing field.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:34:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#3]
Golf isn’t hard enough so I drink half a fifth on the front nine, then half a fifth on the back nine.

You know you’ve had too much to drink when you start pulling the cart right up next to the ball for your next shots… get up and pull out a putter because you’re on the green.  

You get some dirty looks parking the cart on a green.  But not as dirty as taking a divot with your 7 iron to get your ball back on your own hole because it’s sitting on the wrong green.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]
This weekend I'll punish my hands with these.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gunnut284:
My best round ever (88 on a par 70 course) was with a set of clubs very similar to those, along with real wood woods. Still haven't beaten that score with more modern clubs. Though I'm not good at golf nor do I have nice clubs.
View Quote

Is that because your bad shots don't fly as far as they do with modern clubs?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

View Quote

Straight is long.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:05:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher214] [#7]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:

Straight is long.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Straight is long.

That's for damn sure.  When I first started out, my buddy saw me land my first shot on a Par 3 about 18 inches from the pin and said "you need to take everything out of your bag except that 7 iron and your putter."

My driver and woods would end up in the wilderness, water, someone's pool, or a neighboring fairway.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#8]
People say blades are not appropriate for mid to high handicap golfers. But Volkey wedges are encouraged. Volkey wedges are BLADES. They have a wider sole but they are blades.

If you can hit wedges then you can hit blade irons in the PW through 8 iron with no problem. And maybe a 7 blade.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:
People say blades are not appropriate for mid to high handicap golfers. But Volkey wedges are encouraged. Volkey wedges are BLADES. They have a wider sole but they are blades.

If you can hit wedges then you can hit blade irons in the PW through 8 iron with no problem. And maybe a 7 blade.
View Quote

Getting fit is never not a good idea.  

I was surprised that the Callaway Paradym not the X irons were significantly better in every way for me.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:

View Quote

Sure, the shorter the shaft, the easier to control the clubface.

I agree that if you can hit a wedge, you could probably play the 9iron and 8iron...probably the 7 too.

But that doesn't mean you'll have the same success with blade mid/long irons.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Self-defense forum with six new topics in a year

Can we pretty please get a fucking golf sub-forum?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Just don't hit those blades on a cold morning
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I honestly doubt those clubs would be any more difficult for me to play with.
Its like having a blind man in a long range shooting match and giving him a 22lr instead of a 338LM. It isnt the rifles fault...
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:08:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: baxt3r] [#14]
We need an ARFcom golf outing.  If there's enough interest, I would be willing to talk to the people at my club and see about setting something up.  Depending on turnout it might be around $100 per person.  CLT airport is 10 minutes away from the course and there are a couple hotels nearby (10-15 minute ride, all interstate).  

We could do it for charity.

@ me or PM if you have any interest.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

Shooting ranges are a waste of a good RC flying field.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:
Originally Posted By Riter:
Golf is a fine waste of a:

3) Sporting Clay;
4) Trap range;
5) Skeet range

Shooting ranges are a waste of a good RC flying field.

A little imagination and they can be both!
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cranberry1:
Just don't hit those blades on a cold morning
View Quote

It doesn't get cold here in Minnesota.....

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By PAESAN:
Self-defense forum with six new topics in a year

Can we pretty please get a fucking golf sub-forum?
View Quote

@aje

We need to find a mod that is a golfer to bring it up at the next staff meeting
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#18]

That's for damn sure.  When I first started out, my buddy saw me land my first shot on a Par 3 about 18 inches from the pin and said "you need to take everything out of your bag except that 7 iron and your putter."

My driver and woods would end up in the wilderness, water, someone's pool, or a neighboring fairway.
View All Quotes

Straight is long.

There was a 9 hole course near where I live that I would play a couple of times per week, very compact course perfect for walking. I often played with a guy that only carried a 6 iron, a pitching wedge, and his putter. His scores didn't suffer from it, he beat me often.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

There was a 9 hole course near where I live that I would play a couple of times per week, very compact course perfect for walking. I often played with a guy that only carried a 6 iron, a pitching wedge, and his putter. His scores didn't suffer from it, he beat me often.
View Quote

At my lake place I'll go off early walking and play 9 with a Ping Moonlight bag and 5-6 clubs including putter.

I usually score the same as I do in league with my full set.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Cossa:
ha good luck. need a golf subforum
View Quote

In 2022, 1 in 7 Americans, over 40,000,000 played golf.

So we have a SCUBA subforum.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Need extra yardage on your drives?

How Lethal Is A Ballistic Golf Club ???
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to love my old MacGregor tourney blades!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

View Quote

Was he that good, or you that bad?

When my uncle was in his 70s, he used to golf every week. A nine hole, par 3 course had a Wednesday special where retirees could golf all day for just a few dollars. He only used a couple of clubs, and had a couple of holes in one on it.  I couldn't beat him on that course, but I could on any other course. I bet he could have played that course blindfolded.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#24]

1) Rifle Range;
2) Pistol range;
3) Sporting Clay;
4) Trap range;
5) Skeet range;
6) Three gun course, and;
7) Artillery range (for muzzle loaders)
View Quote

Yet the people of St. Andrews stopped doing most of that (and archery) so they could play golf there.
In the 1700s.
Because golf has all of that. And we can shape shots in ways bullets can only do in the movies.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Robin Williams on Golf...

Robin Williams Golf full version (2002)

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AJE:

I'm not a golfer but if we have a forum for aliens, I think golf is a reasonable request.
View Quote

Yes please!
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Sean124:

Yes please!
View Quote

Now we're talking
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AJE:

I'm not a golfer but if we have a forum for aliens, I think golf is a reasonable request.
View Quote

As well as grooming and haberdashery....
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JDennis:

As well as grooming and haberdashery....
View Quote

I just noticed we have a "trucking" forum......

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Bump for a golf forum
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Golf forum please .
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#33]
After looking through the forums and seeing the topics that have a dedicated forum, I've gotta ask where the golf course touched the GD mods when they were kids?!?!?!?

Golf is cooler than 87% of the sub forums we've got.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SPECTRE:
Bump for a golf forum
View Quote
I don't see the point, there's more traffic in GD and there really aren't that many golf threads...adding a sub forum will just kill the traffic.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Jason280:

I don't see the point, there's more traffic in GD and there really aren't that many golf threads...adding a sub forum will just kill the traffic.
View Quote

...because we could visit about golf without all the typical GD clutter (golf is gay, golf courses waste land, etc)
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I am sure I am going to step on some toes inside Gucci golf shoes but I never understood grown ass men chasing a fucking white ball around.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By reprobate:
Ping Eye 2 maybe the best irons ever made. I still own a set. Most people hit them a little higher and shorter than other brands.
View Quote

I would argue that original Tommy Armour 845s are right up there if not on top.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:

I would argue that original Tommy Armour 845s are right up there if not on top.
View Quote

That’s a great set of sticks too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:

...because we could visit about golf without all the typical GD clutter (golf is gay, golf courses waste land, etc)
View Quote

True.

Most GD golf course hate is the waste of a good gun range.

But most golf courses are in residential areas and city limits where shooting is illegal.....
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:39:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:
I am sure I am going to step on some toes inside Gucci golf shoes but I never understood grown ass men chasing a fucking white ball around.

View Quote

It's an excellent excuse to get outside, drink with your buddies, maybe smoke a cigar, and participate in a sport that's hundreds of years old.  It challenges your eyesight, forces you to judge distance, and stimulates the accuracy instincts.

Most people with your mindset have never given it an honest try and a similar mindset could easily be applied to shooting.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:15:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eolian] [#41]

View Quote

One of the greatest pleasures in life is teeing off and clearing the water hazard followed by the tap in.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Have you tried it?

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#43]
No better sound in golf than a solidly struck tee ball with a persimmon wood driver.

Enjoy the blade irons. They’re not particularly forgiving.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#44]
I should drag my old R7s out and go play. Haven’t picked up a club in probably 6 years.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#45]
So, do we all need to keep bumping this thread until the mods give us a home?  
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:
So, do we all need to keep bumping this thread until the mods give us a home?  
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Golf in early March in Minnesota

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:23:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sean124] [#48]
I’m all aboard the L.A.B. train. There really is something to zero torque putters once you get over the goofy looks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#49]

1) Rifle Range;
2) Pistol range;
3) Sporting Clay;
4) Trap range;
5) Skeet range;
6) Three gun course, and;
7) Artillery range (for muzzle loaders)
View Quote

Many golf courses are built throughout a subdivision.  Like , the subdivision was planned to incorporate a golf course that kind of "snakes" it's way through and around it .  You're not putting a shooting range of any kind around that.  Other "stand alone" courses are planted smack dab in the middle of the city , or at least in the 'burbs.

Look, I get it , its not for everyone.  If you don't like it you don't like it.  But the hypothesis that "it's a waste of this, or that" is horseshit.  You would never get a permit to replace most golf courses in America with a shooting range due to location.  

At best if every golf courses in America were cleared,  most would be replaced with either more housing or retail.   Now tell me, do we really need more strip malls , fast food restaurants ,  and auto parts stores?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Sean124:
I’m all aboard the L.A.B. train. There really is something to zero torque putters once you get over the goofy looks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/341181/C60BDBD9-3CD3-49A6-AC32-1139503A12DA_jpe-3150944.JPG
View Quote

I'm not saying it's ugly, but it isn't pretty....

Mine a little olderAttachment Attached File
Page / 12
Page General » Golf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top