Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Golf
Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Try playing speed golf.  You run to your next shot and your time is included with your score.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:22:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Logcutter] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

Try playing speed golf.  You run to your next shot and your time is included with your score.
View Quote

Not quite running, but we'll do 9 holes in about an hour to an hour 15 with minimalist carry bags and 6 clubs.

It helps when the course lets you off first just as it's getting light.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vonbongo] [#3]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:
Beware the old man with a set of Pings in his bag.  
View Quote

If he’s pulling on a lung dart, definitely do not engage in a money game.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:01:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#4]
Tag for pics of my Dad's old MacGregor irons when I get home.

I've never tried to hit these.  Don't think I ever will.  I keep them for memory's sake only.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:

I'm not saying it's ugly, but it isn't pretty....

Mine a little olderhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/543436/IMG_20220917_165057981_jpg-3151031.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sean124:
I’m all aboard the L.A.B. train. There really is something to zero torque putters once you get over the goofy looks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/341181/C60BDBD9-3CD3-49A6-AC32-1139503A12DA_jpe-3150944.JPG

Mine a little olderhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/543436/IMG_20220917_165057981_jpg-3151031.JPG

Is that the Billy Baroo?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Second for the 87th time. We need a golf forum.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes
I’m all aboard the L.A.B. train. There really is something to zero torque putters once you get over the goofy looks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/341181/C60BDBD9-3CD3-49A6-AC32-1139503A12DA_jpe-3150944.JPG

My other putter is damn near mint for being 23 years old

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I got fitted at ECPC into a Versa 3T, and it's nice knowing that it's you, not the putter.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably going to be investing in a new set of irons to replace my M2’s.

But currently have an old set of Ping Eye 2s, and cleaned up my dad’s Hogan blades last year. Haven’t played a round with a full bag of them yet, but damn that 7 iron is pure on the off chance I hit it correctly.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#10]
So what do you guys recommend when doing a fitting, just do the whole bag in one shot or break it up and do driver/woods, irons and then wedges?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:02:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhotonKV] [#12]
Originally Posted By Tanren37:
So what do you guys recommend when doing a fitting, just do the whole bag in one shot or break it up and do driver/woods, irons and then wedges?
View Quote

Break it up, you'll hit a lot of balls.
Driver, maybe fairway woods one session.
Irons and maybe a hybrid if needed another day.
I'm not a fan of indoor wedge fittings.
I found through various fitting experiences that I got the most for my game from a putter fitting. I was always a decent putter, but they put me in an inch shorter putter and it made a big difference in my on course stats, almost 2 strokes per round.

If you're a Vet or First Responder, check out PXG for their "Heros" prices and a good fitting experience if they have a fitter nearby
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PhotonKV:

Break it up, you'll hit a lot of balls.
Driver, maybe fairway woods one session.
Irons and maybe a hybrid if needed another day.
I'm not a fan of indoor wedge fittings.
I found through various fitting experiences that I got the most for my game from a putter fitting. I was always a decent putter, but they put me in an inch shorter putter and it made a big difference in my on course stats, almost 2 strokes per round.

If your a Vet or First Responder, check out PXG for their "Heros" prices and a good fitting experience if they have a fitter nearby
View Quote

Kinda what I figured.

Did first range day in months today, wasn't a complete shitshow, but definitely knocking the rust off.  Pretty sure I'll benefit all around getting fitted this year.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:55:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Logcutter] [#14]
View Quote

Ideally not all at once so you don't end up with a garbage swing.

I didn't have that luxury, but was being fitted at ECPC for a while set of clubs so I can't complain.

Golf heaven:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Big caution on driver fittings- stay away from anything with really low spin numbers. I’d say sub-2200 rpm for most people.

Launch monitor algorithms show the ball going really far with low spin drives. People get excited, buy them, then realize they’re basically unplayable on the course.

That 2000 rpm ball from the sweet spot turns into a 1500 rpm snap hook when you hit it anywhere on the toe. Spin is control. Short hitters need extra spin just to keep the ball in the air.

Most tour pros live in the 2300-2700 range and they need less spin than most at their speeds.

Ignore total yards on a launch monitor and just look at carry yardage. BRING THE BALL YOU PLAY TO THE FITTING.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Just the daily bump until we get our own place

I will echo what the poster above me said about simulator values vs. the real world.  260 in the middle is much better than 300 OB.

I will add that proper technique is more important than swinging as hard as you can.  Trying to kill it just leads to swing faults and injury.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Well dragged my old shit out of the attic and my grips had all dry rotted off from the heat. Clubs weren’t getting any younger or better so……..

I went down the rabbit hole and put together a new Sunday Special 7 Club setup last night at the used shop near where I was working yesterday.

Scored a Like New Ping 425 Max, NIW Sim 2 Max Rescue 4H, Like New Cobra Air X 6H, T300 Titleist 8i, Good Condition Cobra Snakebite 46deg, Good Condition Taylormade Grind 3 56deg, and had them put one of those obnoxious super stroke grips on my Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie Blade.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:
I will add that proper technique is more important than swinging as hard as you can.  Trying to kill it just leads to swing faults and injury.
View Quote

Movements that feel strong to most people tend to be the exact opposite of what you’re supposed to do. Golf is hard.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Movements that feel strong to most people tend to be the exact opposite of what you’re supposed to do. Golf is hard.
View All Quotes

The instructor when I took my first lesson really pounded that point. My grip was the biggest part of my problem, I held on to the club too tight. He said that was common with people that worked with their hands and have a lot of hand strength. It was hard to overcome and I still find myself gripping too tight sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:15:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Logcutter] [#20]
Originally Posted By The_Like_Button:
and had them put one of those obnoxious super stroke grips on my Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie Blade.
View Quote

The 2.0 size is perfect for me. The huge ones were ridiculous and made a smooth stroke difficult for me.  The 1.0 was too small and I got handsy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#21]

The 2.0 size is perfect for me. The huge ones were ridiculous and made a smooth stroke difficult for me.  The 1.0 was too small and I got handy.
View All Quotes
and had them put one of those obnoxious super stroke grips on my Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie Blade.

The 2.0 size is perfect for me. The huge ones were ridiculous and made a smooth stroke difficult for me.  The 1.0 was too small and I got handy.

Yep, Tour 2.0 for me if I’m using a Superstroke.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Break it up.  It can be a long process.

Who is doing the fitting?  Outside is preferred.  Wedges really need a short game area.

Why are you getting fit?  What do you hope to achieve over your current set?  Do you know your likes and dislikes?  Swing tendencies?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Ideally not all at once so you don't end up with a garbage swing.

I didn't have that luxury, but was being fitted at ECPC for a while set of clubs so I can't complain.

Golf heaven:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/543436/IMG_20221206_130350699_HDR_jpg-3151441.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/543436/IMG_20221206_074723863_HDR_jpg-3151445.JPG
View Quote

Noice.  That had to be a blast.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

Noice.  That had to be a blast.
View Quote

It most definitely didn't suck.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I met Byron Nelson a few times while working at a club in Dallas; really nice guy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Cossa:
Bought a set of eye2 becu 2-S off eBay on a whim a while back but can’t decide whether to regrip and play or just sit on them. They’re a tad harsh compared to my g430s.
View Quote

Those copper clubs are so damned pretty. Soak them in Coke overnight; they'll shine like crazy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Well dragged my old shit out of the attic and my grips had all dry rotted off from the heat. Clubs weren’t getting any younger or better so……..

I went down the rabbit hole and put together a new Sunday Special 7 Club setup last night at the used shop near where I was working yesterday.

Scored a Like New Ping 425 Max, NIW Sim 2 Max Rescue 4H, Like New Cobra Air X 6H, T300 Titleist 8i, Good Condition Cobra Snakebite 46deg, Good Condition Taylormade Grind 3 56deg, and had them put one of those obnoxious super stroke grips on my Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie Blade.
View Quote

I put one of those on my putter.  I thought I would hate it, but I've never even considered swapping it out for something else.
Awesome (if butt-ugly) putter grip.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 3:41:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher214] [#28]
I got fitted at ECPC into a Versa 3T, and it's nice knowing that it's you, not the putter.

View Quote

Things I've never had to worry about: my club being the cause of my misses.

I'm a Kirkland/thrift store level player with a really nice set of Callaways.  I'm the dumbass with a set of Callaway Rogue who can barely hit a straight drive looking at the new Ai Smoke like "ooooooo, extra yardage and more forgiving face!"

My Odyssey putter is much better than I am.  My chip/flop/putt game is actually pretty decent but getting there is where I'm lacking.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By eracer:

I put one of those on my putter.  I thought I would hate it, but I've never even considered swapping it out for something else.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eracer:
Well dragged my old shit out of the attic and my grips had all dry rotted off from the heat. Clubs weren't getting any younger or better so  ..

I got one after seeing how common they are among good players and I do like it a lot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I hit the same house 3 times in a row on the tee, OB. The real problem was the course Pro was in our group. I think I put the driver away and hit a 2 iron OB next. I was like a 2-4 handicap at the time in high skrool.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Callaway Performance Center is nice.  I went to TPI in Oceanside for a full bag fitting.   Very happy with it and worth every penny.  

I did not hit that many balls.  Probably less than 75 full shots, 50-60 in the short game area.  We locked on to the right stuff pretty quick.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

The instructor when I took my first lesson really pounded that point. My grip was the biggest part of my problem, I held on to the club too tight. He said that was common with people that worked with their hands and have a lot of hand strength. It was hard to overcome and I still find myself gripping too tight sometimes.
View All Quotes

It's common with all new players.  They all take a death grip.

The old tip still works: Hold the club like you're holding a live bird.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By rob78:
View Quote

Do we like the bird, or is it dinner????

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

And what kind of bird, some of those fuckers are mean.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:26:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_48] [#35]
Originally Posted By Cossa:
Bought a set of eye2 becu 2-S off eBay on a whim a while back but can't decide whether to regrip and play or just sit on them. They're a tad harsh compared to my g430s.
View Quote

@Cossa

Those are still worth a bit in the used market, more than you might think so look around if you decide to sell them.  DO NOT let anyone adjust/bend them for loft or lie, at least not significantly.  Most shops know not to bend those and many won't even try as they might break past a degree or so.  I don't even think Ping will do it any more.  It might be a fairly low risk but not something I would do.  

And yes, golf is very hard and we do need a golf forum.  There are forums on ARF that have gone days/weeks and months without a single post.  What's up with that mods?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#37]
golf forum please .
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Got schooled by a retirement age guy not long ago. He shot just above par and he was playing with a set of Chi Chi Rodrigez clubs with an actual wood driver. Humbling.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

We need clarification.  Are we talking an adult goose or a baby sparrow?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:25:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tanren37] [#40]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

Break it up.  It can be a long process.

Who is doing the fitting?  Outside is preferred.  Wedges really need a short game area.

Why are you getting fit?  What do you hope to achieve over your current set?  Do you know your likes and dislikes?  Swing tendencies?
View Quote

Not sure where to go yet, there's Club Champion, Golftec or Puetz, local range pro also fits, but he doesn't have much on the shelf for shafts or heads.

Currently use the old Costco discount Callaway set, I came a long way with them last year, but its time to invest in some real clubs for the confidence alone.

For irons, I need more height, I hate even attempting a green with my 7i, it'll just bounce right off.  Can't get consistent strikes with the 6i, it's either thin or fat.  I hit my 8i the same distance as my 9i, , but the 9i and PW are surgical.  Misses are typically pulls.

Driver is consistent, wouldn't argue with some more distance.  3W belongs in the dumpster, can't hit it off the deck and if I don't thin it, hook it to hell and gone.

And I usually have a 3 shot minimum with the putter, so that's fun.    

EDIT - Where's that Golf Forum mods?!  We got two forums with no new posts since January and "Zombie Central," really, half the first page is from 2022 or earlier.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:29:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By HourOfAngle:
Got schooled by a retirement age guy not long ago. He shot just above par and he was playing with a set of Chi Chi Rodrigez clubs with an actual wood driver. Humbling.
View Quote

Reminds me of my uncle when I played with him 10 years ago:  75 years old, hits the ball straight down the fairway, his second shot near the the green, and gets up and down for par or bogie.

Meanwhile I'm smashing the ball off the tee, and it goes...somewhere.  Recover OK.  No chipping skill - at all.  Putting OK, but when you're constantly 20 feet from the pin, bogie becomes a good score.  Poor chipping means double bogie more often than not.

I hate golf.  I love golf.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Imagine the beating he'd put on you with some modern equipment.  

I don't typically gamble on the course unless it's like a dollar a hole.  Some of the older guys at the course would pretty much skunk me.  They aren't long hitters but they throw darts coming into the greens.  And their putting is damn strong.  I played with a couple of older guys and one of them was 50/50 on putts from 30 feet and in.  He burnt the edges of the cup all day and dropped a couple.  He'd be perfect for a scramble.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

The idea is to keep the bird alive.

You can hate it if you want.  After a few "laterals" you'll probably hate it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By baxt3r:

I don't typically gamble on the course unless it's like a dollar a hole.  Some of the older guys at the course would pretty much skunk me.  They aren't long hitters but they throw darts coming into the
greens.  And their putting is damn strong.  I played with a couple of older guys and one of them was 50/50 on putts from 30 feet and in.  He burnt the edges of the cup all day and dropped a couple.  He'd be perfect for a scramble.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By baxt3r:

I don't typically gamble on the course unless it's like a dollar a hole.  Some of the older guys at the course would pretty much skunk me.  They aren't long hitters but they throw darts coming into the
greens.  And their putting is damn strong.  I played with a couple of older guys and one of them was 50/50 on putts from 30 feet and in.  He burnt the edges of the cup all day and dropped a couple.  He'd be perfect for a scramble.

I can relate to this

My dad was a college division all American in 1969. I take a beating just about every time we play. He's 76 and has been shooting under his age regularly since he turned 70.

+1 for a subforum... we have one for vaping
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#45]
I hear you on the old guy's.  

Their course management is God tier.

They will most always scramble and get up and down for par or occasional bogey, while the young bucks are blading chips or 3 putting.

I should know,  I get my ass kicked regularly by those bastards
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#46]
I get to move up to the white tees next year in league when I turn 55.

I aspire to be one of the "old bastards" referred to in this thread.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I get to move up to the white tees next year in league when I turn 55.

I aspire to be one of the "old bastards" referred to in this thread.  
View Quote

Any interest in an arfcom open?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Arfless:

Any interest in an arfcom open?
View Quote

Yes!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I came across these 2016 716 CBs and couldn’t help myself

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 12
Page General » Golf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top