Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SPECTRE:

Those are excellent sticks !
View Quote

Bonus that X100 is 1 of about 4 iron shafts that I like.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:30:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cranberry1] [#2]
Originally Posted By PhotonKV:

Break it up, you'll hit a lot of balls.
Driver, maybe fairway woods one session.
Irons and maybe a hybrid if needed another day.
I'm not a fan of indoor wedge fittings.
I found through various fitting experiences that I got the most for my game from a putter fitting. I was always a decent putter, but they put me in an inch shorter putter and it made a big difference in my on course stats, almost 2 strokes per round.

If you're a Vet or First Responder, check out PXG for their "Heros" prices and a good fitting experience if they have a fitter nearby
View Quote

Agreed most people play putters that are too long for them not  really their fault as most golf stores have 3 lengths available 34,35,36 , I went for a  putting lesson and it was well worth it showed me why my set up was wrong and made subtle adjustments also had a laser to check my putter face alignment ,ill go back  to him this spring on how to properly read greens , it’s already saved me a ton of strokes .
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Tanren37:

Not sure where to go yet, there's Club Champion, Golftec or Puetz, local range pro also fits, but he doesn't have much on the shelf for shafts or heads.

Currently use the old Costco discount Callaway set, I came a long way with them last year, but its time to invest in some real clubs for the confidence alone.

For irons, I need more height, I hate even attempting a green with my 7i, it'll just bounce right off.  Can't get consistent strikes with the 6i, it's either thin or fat.  I hit my 8i the same distance as my 9i, , but the 9i and PW are surgical.  Misses are typically pulls.

Driver is consistent, wouldn't argue with some more distance.  3W belongs in the dumpster, can't hit it off the deck and if I don't thin it, hook it to hell and gone.

And I usually have a 3 shot minimum with the putter, so that's fun.    

EDIT - Where's that Golf Forum mods?!  We got two forums with no new posts since January and "Zombie Central," really, half the first page is from 2022 or earlier.  

View Quote
Go to a country club preferably a really good one with a good pro they’ll have trackman and the pro will have much more experience than some kid a club champion, you don’t have to be a member of the club to get a fitting.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:43:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hueto] [#4]
Golf thread!

Finally acquired my childhood dream irons…now that they’re worth nothing.

My first clubs were Dan Marr Pinehurst mb  blades that my dad cut down for me 30 years ago. Still can’t hit them worth a dick.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:
Just the daily bump until we get our own place

I will echo what the poster above me said about simulator values vs. the real world.  260 in the middle is much better than 300 OB.

I will add that proper technique is more important than swinging as hard as you can.  Trying to kill it just leads to swing faults and injury.
View Quote
So I’ve fucking heard
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#6]
We need a golf forum.

I just bought a set of T300's to replace my 10+ year old Ping G20's. The first couple of range trips have been promising.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Billy Baroo?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:11:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Golf is something I genuinely wish I was into. Didn't grow up around it/never played.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Gator96:
Golf is something I genuinely wish I was into. Didn't grow up around it/never played.
View Quote

The good news is it’s also really hard to learn as an adult.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Hueto:
Golf thread!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139672/IMG_5858-3153903.jpg

My first clubs were Dan Marr Pinehurst mb  blades that my dad cut down for me 30 years ago. Still can’t hit them worth a dick.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139672/IMG_5859-3153908.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139672/IMG_5860-3153910.jpg
View Quote

It's nice you still have your original clubs.  I only kept the wedge from the set my Dad got me, didn't realize how much I would miss them both when they were gone

Those eye 2 becu are still gamers.  Just remember they are off 1to 2 lofts when compared to modern sticks.  Your 5 iron is like a modern 7 loft.  On the other hand, I don't see the cast in "plus" so they are probably the famous square grooves.  The lob wedge is hard to find and worth some bucks, nice find.

P.S. I still game a set of these... If you routinely hit these pure, the face gets a bright gold area right on the sweet spot
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

It's never too late to become hopelessly addicted learn the game of golf.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#14]
So what do you guys recommend when doing a fitting, just do the whole bag in one shot or break it up and do driver/woods, irons and then wedges?
View Quote

I'd break it up...a proper fitting can be a lot of swings.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#15]

It's nice you still have your original clubs.  I only kept the wedge from the set my Dad got me, didn't realize how much I would miss them both when they were gone

Those eye 2 becu are still gamers.  Just remember they are off 1to 2 lofts when compared to modern sticks.  Your 5 iron is like a modern 7 loft.  On the other hand, I don't see the cast in "plus" so they are probably the famous square grooves.  The lob wedge is hard to find and worth some bucks, nice find.

P.S. I still game a set of these... If you routinely hit these pure, the face gets a bright gold area right on the sweet spot
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hueto:
Golf thread!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139672/IMG_5858-3153903.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139672/IMG_5859-3153908.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139672/IMG_5860-3153910.jpg

I should have clarified…my “set” was a 2, 5,7, LW. I’m missing the 5, but the 60 deg Cleveland is still in my bag. When I got the bug in college, dad gave me his set of Ping Eye 2s amongst some mid-80s TM woods. I played that set forever, but wanted the BeCu equivalent.  They were routinely $800+ at GolfSmith.

Fast forward to today, my 12 year old is now into it, so while shopping for grips, I found a nice set (minus the LW of course) for a good price on EBay. Found the LW later and then a BeCu Cleveland 60 to match my first set.

I need you to tell my kid about modern vs old lofts. He once long balled me on a big par 3 with a smaller club. I was 20 yd short with an 8 and he was pin high and waaay to the right with a 9. I still hear about it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#16]
We need a golf sub forum.
My Thursday league starts in two weeks.
Let's make this a WITB thread...current setup:

Driver-Tour Edge Exotics C722 with Fujikura Ventus Red 60S

Fairway-Titleist TSR2 5w/18 with ProjectX HZRDUS Black 4G 6.0

Hybrid-Srixon ZX Mk II 4h/22 with ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 6.0

Irons -Srixon Z565 4-AW with KBS C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges-Mizuno ES21 54.8/58.12W with KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter- PING Tyne C (2021)

Balls-Bridgestone Tour B RX
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm Callaway all the way.

Attachment Attached File

Paradym driver
Paradym X 3HL and 7w
Paradym irons
Odyssey Versa 3T putter

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Start by going to a driving range.  Lots of fun, not too expensive.  A lot of them actually provide drivers , or you can bring your own.  Good way to dip your toe into it.  

From there buy a brand new starter set of clubs, or surf Marketplace for a used set.  DO NOT buy a partial used set.  If you buy a used set, make sure it has all of the irons , at least a pitching wedge , a driver & putter.  

From there watch plenty of you tube vids to get the basics down,  take a lesson or two and go have fun
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I just started playing last Sept.  Hell of a time to start.  

I started out with my old Wilson Set that I bought back in 2000 or so.  My coworkers and I would go to the local muni course nearby, since we worked midnight shift, and we wanted a place to hang out and have some post work adult beverages, but didn't want to get the evil eye.  I'll have to grab a pic of my kit when I get home, but right now my bag has Ping 430 Max driver, 430 Max 3 wood, and a 430 3 hybrid, Wilson Matrix 3-9 irons, Vokey SM9 48, 52, and 56 wedges, and whatever auction blade putter I pulled out of my dad's garage back in 2000.

I'm currently getting lessons along with my son, and the two of us have also joined our local Spark Golf league.

Here's the boy playing on Feb 2nd after he finished his "digital learning day" school work.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Bump to show off my welding art golfer.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:28:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sean124] [#21]

Beautiful!

If those had project x rifle shafts I would fight you for them
View Quote

PX Rifle 6.5s perform great for me but are hell on my bad elbow.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:28:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: skinny79] [#22]
Golf Forum please.

Attachment Attached File

I reckon I started playing about 20 months ago? Grabbed my son a set last Christmas, so he's been playing a little over a year. He plays on his high school team, and we're signing him up for the junior league (Operation36) at our home course.

High hopes for this summer. I took about 4 months off from hinting my driver, but with the warm weather I have had some good results lately with it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By cjroman:

View Quote

What do you think about the ZX MkII 4?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Sean124:

PX Rifle 6.5s perform great for me are are hell on my bad elbow.
View Quote

I have the stiff Project X Hzrdus Silver in my irons.  

I'm old, and it's been the best thing ever for my joints, especially when playing/hitting on hard turf.  

I've lost nothing in terms of dispersion/accuracy and completely lost the post round pain.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6-X
TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX
Taylormade M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX
TSR3 4 hybrid Graphite Design DI 105-X

2021 T100 4-9 (bent weak) Nippon Modus 120-TX

Vokey 49F, 54D, 60V Nippon Modus 125-X/W

LAB Mezz Max putter Accra shaft

Still playing the 2021 Pro V1. I don’t like the feel of the new ones.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:

I have the stiff Project X Hzrdus Silver in my irons.  

I'm old, and it's been the best thing ever for my joints, especially when playing/hitting on hard turf.  

I've lost nothing in terms of dispersion/accuracy and completely lost the post round pain.
View Quote

I’m really liking the Modus 120-TX. Much softer feeling handle but stable enough for Tony Finau
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#27]

I’m really liking the Modus 120-TX. Much softer feeling handle but stable enough for Tony Finau
View Quote

I don't need "stable" anymore, but I did win long drive last year (blue tees) with a pink ball in league.  

The Paradym driver is amazing.  I'm afraid to try the new smoke version, as the last thing my golf game needs is new clubs....

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Arfless:

What do you think about the ZX MkII 4?
View Quote

For me it fits the 200-210 gap very well. I can choke down some and get 190 from it. With the the stock shaft it has a high flight with a soft landing, with about a 50 degree decent angle.
It feels very solid off the face, with a muted twack sound instead of metallic. I tried about 4 other hybrids and it came out on top for distance and dispersion.
It's one of my favorite and most reliable clubs. I have to put a really bad swing on it to get it to go anything but straight and high.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#29]

I don't need "stable" anymore, but I did win long drive last year (blue tees) with a pink ball in league.  

The Paradym driver is amazing.  I'm afraid to try the new smoke version, as the last thing my golf game needs is new clubs....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/543436/image_jpg-3154291.JPG
View Quote

I played the Paradym triple diamond for a bit after I got tired of breaking the carbon faces off the TM Stealth drivers.

It’s really good, I just prefer the looks/feel of the TSR3. Performance between them is close enough for me to be a wash.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:09:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Logcutter] [#30]

I played the Paradym triple diamond for a bit after I got tired of breaking the carbon faces off the TM Stealth drivers.

It’s really good, I just prefer the looks/feel of the TSR3. Performance between them is close enough for me to be a wash.
View Quote

I'm 100% a Callaway fan boi after the ECPC experience.  The staff was super cool, and the outdoor fitting with a launch monitor was eye opening to say the least.

The putter fitting was the best though.  There's something about seeing the roll/skid numbers improve with tweaks to your loft/lie, and knowing, as you stand over an 8-foot par save putt, that no matter what happens, it's NOT the putter's fault.

Edit: it was interesting to hear their putter fitting gurus that fit pros explain (and demonstrate) that almost any putter model can be set up optimally for almost any golfer, and that the "look" that the golfer likes is considered very important.

I'm left eye dominant and play right handed.  The Versa alignment fixed a big issue on my setup that I literally couldn't "see" and it's made a HUGE difference in regards to starting on line on mid to long putts.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:52:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher214] [#31]

View Quote

Callaway Rogue ST Max all the things for me.  I have the oversized irons.  I probably would have gone with Paradym but I bought mine right before those became the new hotness.

I swapped all the grips for a Golf Pride set with better sweaty-hand texture.  It made a world of difference when I'm on the range here in hot-ass humid Florida.  The factory grips felt slicker than owl shit with just a touch of moisture on them.  I sweat like Tiger Woods when I play so we are basically the same golfer.

I've never been great at hitting woods and hybrids but I'm way better with this set than I was with the Cobras I used previously.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

I probably would have gone with Paradym but I bought mine right before those became the new hotness.
View Quote

I couldn't believe I got fitted into the regular Paradym irons and not the X, but ball flight, spin, and dispersion don't lie.

They look and feel like buttery players irons, but have the forgiveness of SGI shovels.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:15:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher214] [#33]

I couldn't believe I got fitted into the regular Paradym irons and not the X, but ball flight, spin, and dispersion don't lie.

They look and feel like buttery players irons, but have the forgiveness of SGI shovels.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

I probably would have gone with Paradym but I bought mine right before those became the new hotness.

I hear nothing but praise for the Paradyms.

My local Top Golf has the option to use a set of Ai Smoke for an extra $25 and I'm tempted but also telling myself not to do it because I'm certainly not better than my current clubs and don't need an excuse to buy new ones.  It's a brilliant marketing move by Callaway.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 3:10:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Arfless] [#34]

For me it fits the 200-210 gap very well. I can choke down some and get 190 from it. With the the stock shaft it has a high flight with a soft landing, with about a 50 degree decent angle.
It feels very solid off the face, with a muted twack sound instead of metallic. I tried about 4 other hybrids and it came out on top for distance and dispersion.
It's one of my favorite and most reliable clubs. I have to put a really bad swing on it to get it to go anything but straight and high.
View Quote

Thanks. I've been intrigued by that one since my last fitting.

My current lineup is:

Cobra Speedzone 10.5deg head set to 9deg with an Aldila Rogue 60X shaft.

Callaway Octane 15deg fairway metal

TM RBZ 19deg 5 metal

Cobra King SZ also 19deg hybrid

4-gap Srixon ZX7 with tour 120 stiff.

Vokey SM9 56-08M

Scotty Red XAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

I can't wait for league to start.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Hit the range again today.  Great session, got my path squared away and hit'n nice and straight.  And the 30mph tailwind was making my look like Daly, .

So Mods, I'm just gonna start a bunch of golf topics in GD, we can just move them to the new Golf Forum when it's up right?

Next topic:  What kind of gains could be expected going from a $250 driver to $600 driver?  Like a Mavrik vs. Paradym/AI Smoke?

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:08:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Logcutter] [#37]

Next topic:  What kind of gains could be expected going from a $250 driver to $600 driver?  Like a Mavrik vs. Paradym/AI Smoke?

View Quote

You're getting forgiveness now, not a lot of distance.

Like, ridiculous forgiveness where you barely lose your distance or line on hits that were penal with past drivers.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#38]
"not even god can hit a 1 Iron"

"Yes my son?"

My driver usually stays in the bag in favor of this one

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By forager:

"Yes my son?"

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/93480/IMG_1725_jpeg-3154753.JPG
View Quote

What loft is that?  Probably the same loft as a modern "player's distance" set's 4i.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#40]

What loft is that?  Probably the same loft as a modern "player's distance" set's 4i.
View All Quotes

"Yes my son?"

I had to google it... 16 deg apparently
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#41]

I had to google it... 16 deg apparently
View Quote

Ooooh, I'll bet that's easy to hit nice and high.  

My 4i is 20*
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#42]

"Yes my son?"

View Quote

I use an Eye 2 2i in place of my driver when I’m not confident in it. Still shocks me every time that i can hit that decently well (long and straight) but not my driver or other irons.

Currently playing TM M2’s.

In honor of the WITB -

TM M2 Driver (hzrdus shaft)
TM Sim 3 W
Ping Eye 2 2i
TM M2 4-P
TM HI-Toe Raw wedges 52, 56, 60
PXG Bat Attack putter.

Want new Irons. May be getting 790s or the PXG 0311s. Price point in PXGs is better in my opinion.

Do want TM to restock the Stealth Bomber (black 2i with a cool paint job).
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Ooooh, I'll bet that's easy to hit nice and high.  

My 4i is 20*
View Quote

I have a 2 iron as well as the rest of the normal 3 thru  wedges. My kids were born 2003-04 and I just got back into the game last year when my son started playing. These were quite dusty and I still need new grips.. the player is quite rusty too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By RedSS454:

I use an Eye 2 2i in place of my driver when I’m not confident in it. Still shocks me every time that i can hit that decently well (long and straight) but not my driver or other irons.
View Quote

I lose my mind and become a neanderthal when i swing the driver... that big club makes me come out if my shoes...
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm Callaway all the way.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/543436/IMG_20230221_195533830_HDR_jpg-3154164.JPG

Paradym driver
Paradym X 3HL and 7w
Paradym irons
Odyssey Versa 3T putter

View Quote

Nice. I just got a set of paradyms also..... like 3 weeks before the smokes came out.....
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By The_Beaten_Weiner:
No Ping Eye 2 No Care
View Quote

Loved those clubs. First “forgiving” irons
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:49:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Logcutter] [#47]
Originally Posted By FE2O3_2Al:

Loved those clubs. First “forgiving” irons
View Quote

I learned with a cheap knockoff set.  Ended up making a set with Golfsmith components that I played for years.

Now, if you want stupid forgiveness and inexpensive, Maltby is the way to go.

KE4 Max irons 4-GW $399

I had a set that I gave to a buddy when I got my Callaway irons.  

I'll getting another set for a spare set to keep at my lake place.  They're ridiculously easy to hit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#48]
In the spirit of keeping this thread going, how about posting hidden gems from our AO? I'm in SE/Mid MI so I'll suggest Willow Wood in Portland MI. Great layout, not to pricy, with great greens in the summer.

Timber Trace in Pinckney. Big property, lots of room to miss it. Under new ownership and they're doing some fantastic improvements.

Huntmore in Brighton/Hartland area. Great condition typically. Target golf. Fun course with an excellent practice facility. Bring plenty of balls if you spray it.

Washtenaw Golf club in Ypsilanti. Soft spot for this one as I grew up on the 11th hole. It was private for 100 years but has been open for public play for a while now. Typically in country club shape. Recently they removed a bunch of big trees to open it up. Some made sense, others didn't, but it's more playable for the masses now.

I"ll post some fun ones from our travels in a bit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Arfless:
In the spirit of keeping this thread going, how about posting hidden gems from our AO? I'm in SE/Mid MI so I'll suggest Willow Wood in Portland MI. Great layout, not to pricy, with great greens in the summer.

Timber Trace in Pinckney. Big property, lots of room to miss it. Under new ownership and they're doing some fantastic improvements.

Huntmore in Brighton/Hartland area. Great condition typically. Target golf. Fun course with an excellent practice facility. Bring plenty of balls if you spray it.

Washtenaw Golf club in Ypsilanti. Soft spot for this one as I grew up on the 11th hole. It was private for 100 years but has been open for public play for a while now. Typically in country club shape. Recently they removed a bunch of big trees to open it up. Some made sense, others didn't, but it's more playable for the masses now.

I"ll post some fun ones from our travels in a bit.
View Quote

IMO, the best course for the money in the Phoenix area is Aguila. Great layout, 7000 yards from the tips, and it’s always in good shape. There are obviously nicer courses here, but you’ll pay for it.

Falcon Dunes at Luke AFB is good if you’re current/former military or first responder.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#50]
I have this older set of Pings...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 12
Page General » Golf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top