Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2010 10:41:26 PM EDT
Cliff notes: Don't be the idiot who did this. No, it wasn't me.

Link to blog post

From left to right: 7.62x54R, 7.62x54R fired in .303 British chamber, .303 British
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Always a good idea to keep your mil-surp ammo seperated in your shooting bag!
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw some shells like that at the range once. My face was like
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL,  I dig the double shoulder wildcat.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#4]
First off, I didn't realize that anybody needed to be told this.

Second off, I don't see the problem. If it's stupid and it works, it wasn't stupid.

Nice fireform though.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

LOL,  I dig the double shoulder wildcat.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2010 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol, I wonder what would happen if you made a crimp for that and reloaded it for .303.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Lulz

guy I used to shoot  with got a 308 to go off in his SVT40 what made it more interesting/amusing is this guy is anal almost to a fault
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
It apparently will work as a SHTF solution, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#9]
both are rimmed and surprisingly, the same basic thickness.  but the commie has a chamfered rim which means it will not have the correct headspacing.

for rimmed cases, headspacing is based on rim thickness.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Common sense rule: Shoot what the fucking weapon is chambered for. Not every firearm is a revolver chambered in an "evolutionary" cartridge.

I see some of the same shit with dipwads firing .380 ACP out of a 9X18mm Makarov.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It apparently will work as a SHTF solution, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

I agree.
I would think both are similar pressure cartridges, and fireforming brass is done frequently to develop wildcat brass.
Headspacing would be set back a long way so the initial engraving velocity would be a bit higher, and bullet alignment
would likely not be as predictable -so accuracy could suffer, but big deal.
So long as it's in a bolt gun I wouldn't worry.

I wouldn't go out of my way to do it as regular practice, but it's really no biggie.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2010 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you know that a primer only .50BMG cartridge will fit in a 12 ga double?

A friend of mine demonstrated this for me once.  I took cover when he dropped it into the chamber and snapped it shut.  A dull thud, and the thing flew about 20 feet.  I can only imagine the fail if it had been a full loaded round.  

Did I mention I still want a .50BMG double?  
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A friend of mine demonstrated this for me once.  I took cover when he dropped it into the chamber and snapped it shut.  A dull thud, and the thing flew about 20 feet.  I can only imagine the fail if it had been a full loaded round.  

A sized 50BMG brass will fit one of those yellow foamy earplugs in the neck perfectly.
When shot with a primer only -the yellow foamy comes out looking like a toasted marshmallow

***and will stick to a wall when fired in your kitchen***  

(beer may have been involved)

Link Posted: 4/6/2010 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A sized 50BMG brass will fit one of those yellow foamy earplugs in the neck perfectly.
When shot with a primer only -the yellow foamy comes out looking like a toasted marshmallow

We are SOOOO gonna generate a lawsuit.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#15]
He was just fireforming his new wildcat
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 2:00:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Nothing new here.

You can rechamber a .303 for 7.62x54R. The only problem is, the .303 chamber has a taller neck so you get the two necked case.
If it was an unmodified .303, it had to have been one loose chamber, it shouldn't fit otherwise...

G
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#17]
To get a x54R in a 303 it deff must have a huge oversized chamber as the 54R is a much fatter case. As said you can run a 7.62x54R reamer in a 303 barrel and shoot 54R in it but the cases form two shoulders and the bullets will be slightly undersized. Friend had a Semi Bren Gun with a barrel & Mag modified to fire 7.62x54R.

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
To get a x54R in a 303 it deff must have a huge oversized chamber as the 54R is a much fatter case. As said you can run a 7.62x54R reamer in a 303 barrel and shoot 54R in it but the cases form two shoulders and the bullets will be slightly undersized. Friend had a Semi Bren Gun with a barrel & Mag modified to fire 7.62x54R.

Not sure about the bullet size - 7.62x54R and .303 bores slug to about .310-.312. Anything 7.62 made in the former combloc is .311 and not .308.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Measure some 54r, you will find most Russian - E European runs .309-.310. There is some Chinese surplus that measures out .311-13. If you use a 303 barrel with bore on the tight side of tolerances it will do okay with most 54R.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Nothing wrong in that pic. The Bren can be re-chambered to shoot 54r as it is cheaper and easier to find. I run 54r in my full-auto Bren, and the cases look just like that when I shoot it.

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I read that blog-post, was just wondering when you'd update it with what he was shooting it in
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Nothing new here.
You can rechamber a .303 for 7.62x54R. The only problem is, the .303 chamber has a taller neck so you get the two necked case.

If it was an unmodified .303, it had to have been one loose chamber, it shouldn't fit otherwise...
G

Yep. Modified a friends Vickers machine gun to shoot 7.62x54R using PKM belts. Rechamber the barrel, open up the extractor and open up the feedblock a little. Runs like a champ. 1000's of rounds through it.

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

G

That's the understatement from hell-just tried to chamber a 7.62X54R in my 1916 Lithgow(with the bolt removed). The round wouldn't even insert halfway. If that round was fired in an unmodified .303 it would have had to been slammed home with a LOT of force to "size" the steel case for the chamber. My Savage does have a looser chamber, but nothing severe enough to dream of getting a 54R round into the chamber easily enough to mistakenly fire it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You bastards! If I am badly disfigured...

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You bastards! If I am badly disfigured...

You'll still have had fun.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top