Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2010 4:26:49 AM EDT
I've been wanting an integrally suppressed Ruger Mk2/3 for a very long time. A couple of years ago I passed on a very nice stainless model from John's Guns. I want one that can be disassembled for service by the owner. I'm not really interested in debating integral vs. screw on, I'm looking for first hand knowledge from owners and dealers of integrally suppressed pistols.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:35:20 AM EDT
[#1]
No experience with ownership,  but the first supressed firearm I ever shot was an internally supressed Mk.II. It had the .22 short conversion done to it. I highly recommend to start shopping for the conversion now since they are no longer made, I have been told. It was a real eyeopener to hear nothing but the action working and brass hitting the floor. BTW,  it belonged to an FFL in Wagner, SC if you want to look him up. Small town, and he is a dentist full time. He could give you the info you are looking for.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:21:41 AM EDT
[#2]
One of my cronies has a new Johns Guns stainless MKIII - user
serviceable and super quiet.
http://www.fullysuppressed.com/rugermarkiii.html

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:24:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the impression that the Johns Guns were no longer available.

Anyone have pics or comparisons?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:56:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

John sold the business to a guy named Brent Hemphill who still makes them.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:05:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Supressed Ruger you say?  Not what you asked, but I didn't get my post count by answering direct questions...

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:17:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I know you don't want to debate it, but you will regret not getting a screw-on.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a "Suppressors" forum under the category "Armory."  You should be able to get the info you need there.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=20
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Why did you pass on the john's guns model?  They are one of the few that meet your requirements that are able to be taken apart for cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I know you don't want to debate it, but you will regret not getting a screw-on.

Possibly he already has a screw-on can.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Internal suppressors are quieter, and some (not sure about the john's guns model) are designed to use inexpensive copper coated supersonic bullets (think fed/win/rem bulk pack) ammo, while dropping the exit velocity to sub sonic.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got a John's Gun 10/22 and a AWC Badlander MkIII.  Just recently shot the MkIII.  Nice pistol.  I shot supersonic thru it.  Don't know how it will feed subsonic yet.

Badlander
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Not sure if they're still available but the Oasis is a sweet setup.  This one belongs to a friend:

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a sealed integrally suppressed match ruger mark II from coastal.  It bugs me that I can't clean it but I shoot the snot out of it and it's still quiet.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't get an integrally suppressed Mark I/II/III.  You now limit your suppressor to one gun.

I got a 10/22 and a Mark III 22/45.  I put a Taclite upper on the 22/45 and a Taclite barrel on the 10/22.  That way I can use the Pilot on either one or any other .22 I get.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Tagged for shits and giggles but, point of fact, my SWR Spectre threaded onto a Ruger MKIII with a 4.5" Tactical Solutions barrel looks like an integrally-suppressed package.

...and can go onto my ST22 AR, my 10/22, 5.7, plasma rifle (50 watt with the stamp), M1A, M82, 1911 and even works on dog farts when stuffed up Fido's ass.

ETA:
Pleases the ladies, too.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Since we are NOT arguing over integral vs. thread on.... I won't say that a integral usually has barrel ports that make it quieter than a thread on can would be.  Plus, if you have one or several thread on .22 cans already, why not get some variety and try an integral?

parshooter, that is a nice looking Oasis.  I have read alot of posts saying they are not nearly as quiet as a SRT, Johns guns, TBA, Elite Iron, etc. integral unit.  I have never heard one in person though and would really like to see a integral Ruger comparison test where each one is put through the wringer in a pistol to pistol comparison.  It wouldn't surprise me if the whole "not as quiet" statement is made because somebody dislikes a specific company.  Without actual #'s or at least side by side shooting it is all hearsay anyway.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I have owned a AWC Badlander for about 5 years now.  That pistol rocks and is amazingly silent.

I also own a TBA suppressor on a 10/22.  This thing is silent as well.  I know he makes them for MK2/3s as well.  I recomend them as well.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been wanting an integrally suppressed Ruger Mk2/3 for a very long time. A couple of years ago I passed on a very nice stainless model from John's Guns. I want one that can be disassembled for service by the owner. I'm not really interested in debating integral vs. screw on, I'm looking for first hand knowledge from owners and dealers of integrally suppressed pistols.

Thanks.

YHM makes an integral mk3.  The suppressor can be dismantled for maintenance.  It is a nice weapon.  Have a look at their product and IM me about it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 4:37:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Has anyone compared any of these models side by side?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 4:44:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Supressed Ruger you say? Not what you asked, but I didn't get my post count by answering direct questions...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/DriftPunch/7722small.jpg

What's louder, the sound of the firing pin hitting the brass, or the 'pffft' that comes out of the muzzle?

(I have a stainless 77/22, and I've been debating whether to make it, or my Mark II my first suppressed piece.)
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 4:45:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Ive got a Tac Sol 4.5" barrel on my MKIII with a Hearing Protection LLC Quick Attach Chechmate can. Very nice setup that is quiet/reliable/easy to use and light. Also nice that I can pop the can off quickly and throw it on my 10/22 whenever I want
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Since we are NOT arguing over integral vs. thread on.... I won't say that a integral usually has barrel ports that make it quieter than a thread on can would be.  Plus, if you have one or several thread on .22 cans already, why not get some variety and try an integral?

parshooter, that is a nice looking Oasis.  I have read alot of posts saying they are not nearly as quiet as a SRT, Johns guns, TBA, Elite Iron, etc. integral unit.  I have never heard one in person though and would really like to see a integral Ruger comparison test where each one is put through the wringer in a pistol to pistol comparison.  It wouldn't surprise me if the whole "not as quiet" statement is made because somebody dislikes a specific company.  Without actual #'s or at least side by side shooting it is all hearsay anyway.

Unless it can actually muffle the sound of the action, it ain't any quieter than my Pilot.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Supressed Ruger you say? Not what you asked, but I didn't get my post count by answering direct questions...

What's louder, the sound of the firing pin hitting the brass, or the 'pffft' that comes out of the muzzle?

(I have a stainless 77/22, and I've been debating whether to make it, or my Mark II my first suppressed piece.)

Get a screw on suppressor, and get both!
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless it can actually muffle the sound of the action, it ain't any quieter than my Pilot.

No, not necessarily.  Silenserreseach tested the Pilot on a P22 and the Pilot was nearly 5 dB louder than the "best" thread on pistol suppressor in the test.  The Pilot on a P22 is actually almost 8 dB louder than the #'s listed on SRT's website for their integral.  I'll grant you that dB numbers can be tampered with but when tested side by side it is unlikely.  What would be interesting is if they tested an integral side by side with the "best" screw on can.  Using the same ammo, a integral will be quieter than a screw on can because of the ported barrel.  If you somehow could shoot 2 types of ammo that would exit the integral pistol at the same velocity as the screw on can the sound level would be much closer.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not sure if they're still available but the Oasis is a sweet setup.  This one belongs to a friend:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/parshooter/Oasis.jpg

Do SOOOOOOOOO want...
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#26]
David makes great cans....

Pinnacle II
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks.

I've had an AWC Amphibian S for about 9 years now.  Accurate, fun to shoot, reliable and looks good.  Cleaning is a breeze but you can't disassemble it.  I've never needed to disassemble the unit.  

On the business side, I've been able to compare a lot of the integrally suppressed pistols on the market and the Amphibian S is definitely on the higher end of the list.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not necessarily.  Silenserreseach tested the Pilot on a P22 and the Pilot was nearly 5 dB louder than the "best" thread on pistol suppressor in the test.  The Pilot on a P22 is actually almost 8 dB louder than the #'s listed on SRT's website for their integral.  I'll grant you that dB numbers can be tampered with but when tested side by side it is unlikely.  What would be interesting is if they tested an integral side by side with the "best" screw on can.  Using the same ammo, a integral will be quieter than a screw on can because of the ported barrel.  If you somehow could shoot 2 types of ammo that would exit the integral pistol at the same velocity as the screw on can the sound level would be much closer.

I don't care who tested what.  All you hear on my 22/45, or the 10/22 for that matter, is the action cycling and the thump when the bullet hits the target.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#29]
get the gemtech oasis suppressor it is the best of the mkII mkIII pistol suppressors, you wont have to send it in to be threaded also.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

John sold the business to a guy named Brent Hemphill who still makes them.  

I think that is the same Brent that worked in the shop.

He was the one that helped me with a few things.

I have been very happy with the suppressors from John's guns.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

With subsonic ammo, the firing pin is louder than the muzzle noise. Second only to the slap of the bullet against the target.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 3:43:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You won't be able to break the grin off your face...

These are great guns.  Along with the CZ 452 series, they are unique in that they feel like centerfires and not like airguns.  I'm able to get 2 inch groups at 75 yards with standard grade Remington Subsonics.  One day I'll see what I can do with CCI good stuff...
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 3:44:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I lol'd.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 3:49:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Experience with integral suppressors is nil, but I really like my Outback II.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 4:13:03 AM EDT
[#35]
S&H arms makes a intergal suppressed MK2 that is able to be taken apart for cleaning by the user.  It has a ported barrel for use with any ammunition,subsonic not needed ,and is hollywood quiet.  I have had one for 10 years and shot the Hell out of it.  I love mine.   My screw on .22 can would go long before I got rid of this one. TJR
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:07:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/parshooter/Oasis.jpg

Do SOOOOOOOOO want...

Yea, me too.  Checked the site and they list for $1,100 (complete setup, not just the upper).  

Ouch.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top