Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Tula is Russian (Wolf), I generally prefer Barnaul which originates IIRC in Serbia.

When it gets down into the $6-8 range in 9mm I will buy it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 12:12:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I recently had a stuck case with soem of the TULA white box from Cabelas.  I have shout around 300-400 rounds of it through the same rifle and never had an issue until that last trip.

Extractor tore a bit of the case head and that got stuck between the bolt and chamber/extension.  Put a screw driver to the carrier and gave her a whack and it freed it.  Cycled 15 rounds manually through it with the same mag (ie same box) and had no issues.  Haven't been back out sinse.  We'll see.

On th subject, who makes Monarch ammo?  I have heard it's Barnual, but not 100% sure that's right?
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 1:07:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't like passing rumors, but someone in here once reported a kaboom from Tula ammo.

The red flag wasn't the kaboom itself, although of course that's annoying, but rather that he was unable to find any direct importer or manufacturer to complain to.  Everyone involved passed the buck and refused to take responsibility for the ammo, and he was thus stuck bearing the total cost of the resulting damage to his firearm.

Tula is very much "use at your own risk" until I hear otherwise.  Not worth it, imo.

Who do you complain to if you have a kaboom with Lake City ammo?

ATK
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's cheaper at AIM.

no shipping though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I may try some but honestly I'm not too excited
Nor am I.

Link Posted: 10/9/2010 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like that tula stuff for the range. I've shot close to 500 rounds recently and had 0 issues.

ETA: in .223

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Do not shoot Tula 308 in your FAL  
Two different guys, two different cases of ammo, two different FAL rifles, same results. Blown out mags.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Yet I've shot 500rds of Wolf through my FAL without a single problem.

Wolf = Tula if divided by zero

There's some fancy statistical term for this i forgot.

But basically 500rds aint shit son.

Link Posted: 10/9/2010 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It's cheaper at AIM.

Do not tell them our secrect!!!!  
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That sucks. Wish they would have just lowered the price on the fed, and left the russian stuff out of it.

Maybe they will now if people start buying Tula and ignore Federal and UMC.  Unless of course, the Tula turns out to be crap in comparison.
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They did raise the price on the Federal 9mm to $10.57/box from $9.40 when the Rooski ammo arrived.

interesting strategy on competition

competitor comes in so you raise your price

makes sense

I think it does.  Anyone who is unfamiliar with commie boolitz now buys Fed at a higher price, and we still shoot cheap commie shit.

Link Posted: 10/9/2010 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't always work - Wolf steel is soft - softer than brass.

Steel softer than brass?  I learn something new every day on ARFCOM.

Well brass is HRb ~40 and 4140 is only HRc 26.

Never mind those lower case letters.
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's cheaper at AIM.

no shipping though.

I'll pay UPS before I pay taxes.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2010 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Two different guys, two different cases of ammo, two different FAL rifles, same results. Blown out mags.

Most intelligent post in the thread.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Is the "TulAmmo" stuff in the black boxes imported by the same people as the "Tula Cartridge Works" in the generic white boxes (I know it's the same ammo, I'm wondering if it's the same people importing it and just came out with new packaging).
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Most intelligent post in the thread.  

If you guys want to donate more then fell free, but 500rds without a problem is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will no longer shoot Tula .223.

I've never had any problems with Wolf or any steel cased ammo, but while shooting some fresh from the box Tula I had a round blow a primer and lodge the case in the chamber.

The upper and lower came apart fine, and after a few hours of basically beating my Dewey cleaning rod down the bbl with a steel male/female adapter I finally punched the bastard out. No discernible bulge in case, I need to take some calipers to it to check the specs just for shits and gigs. Checked the chamber and barrel thoroughly, nothing out of the ordinary, no burrs or anything else. Lake City and Federal brass ran fine after that.

I was going to post pics and make a thread, but never got around to it. This was about a month ago. I gave the rest of that ammo away to a friend with fair warning, I don't know if he's shot it yet.

I'm confident the issue wasn't with the gun, so from now on no Tula for me, likely no steel case at all.

I think I'll manage.

Next time do not put a steel rod down the bore and beat on it. You probably scratched the shit out of your bore.

Leave the rifle assembled. Pull down on the charging handle while you smack the buttstock on the ground a few times and it will come right out.

RIF. I didn't put a steel cleaning rod down the bore, I put a Dewey (fiberglass) rod down the bore, with a steel tip (quite smaller than the bore diameter) that went inside the empty case. I slid the rod in gently and strait, if that "scratched the shit out of the bore" then that chrome lining must be some real shit.

I tried smacking it on the ground, that was the first thing I did when I realized the problem.

Obviously, I wouldn't have run a damn rod down the barrel if it had been that simple.

Link Posted: 10/11/2010 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

They did raise the price on the Federal 9mm to $10.57/box from $9.40 when the Rooski ammo arrived.

interesting strategy on competition

competitor comes in so you raise your price

makes sense

Federal didn't raise the price; Walmart did.  It makes perfect sense when you consider that they started selling a similar, but widely considered "inferior" product at almost the same price point.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw some but they only had 9mm and 45acp. I didn't buy any since I refuse to buy steel for any handgun that is not a commie gun. I however have no problem shooting them in most rifles including my ARs. The brass pistol ammo was either the same or $1 more so I went with brass.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#18]
the guy at walmart said they were going to stop stocking wwb and move to tul.....

he better be full of shit.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
the guy at walmart said they were going to stop stocking wwb and move to tul.....

If they go all Tula my Walmart ammo buying days would be over. They would probably still carry maroon/black box of Federal but WWB is always the cheapest and sold in 100 packs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't like passing rumors, but someone in here once reported a kaboom from Tula ammo.

The red flag wasn't the kaboom itself, although of course that's annoying, but rather that he was unable to find any direct importer or manufacturer to complain to.  Everyone involved passed the buck and refused to take responsibility for the ammo, and he was thus stuck bearing the total cost of the resulting damage to his firearm.

Tula is very much "use at your own risk" until I hear otherwise.  Not worth it, imo.

I remember that thread.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#21]
YES!~~~!!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, someone failed metallurgy 101.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's cheaper at AIM.

no shipping though.

HRB and HRC scale's are apples and oranges.  B scale uses a ball bearing and C scale uses a diamond point.  I worked in a metallurgy lab for 5 years and did hardness testing every day.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's cheaper at AIM.

no shipping though.

HRB and HRB scale's are apples and oranges.  B scale uses a ball bearing and C scale uses a diamond point.  I worked in a metallurgy lab for 5 years and did hardness testing every day.

I think you mean B vs C.

Edit: C is typically used for harder materials where a spherical shape won't make an impression or it won't be as well defined (and as measurable) as an X pattern in a prepared surface.

On the topic, I haven't seen Tula at my local Walmartz, but when I do I'm gonna buy some and I'm gonna run it through my AR...

Link Posted: 10/11/2010 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tula is Russian (Wolf), I generally prefer Barnaul which originates IIRC in Serbia.

When it gets down into the $6-8 range in 9mm I will buy it.

Barnaul is Russian, made in Eastern Russia,not too far from the northern border of Xian JIang Province, China.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All steel cased in a flashy red and black box.

9mm $9.47/box.

.223 $4.97/box.

Interesting.  Maybe they'll bring in some nice Prvi Partizan loads next.

50 or 100 box?
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm $9.47/box.

.223 $4.97/box.

50 or 100 box?

50 count for the 9mm, .40, and .45. 20 count for the .223.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm $9.47/box.

.223 $4.97/box.

50 or 100 box?

That doesn't seem very cheap. I thought the 100rd WWB stuff for 9mm was going for around $17 the last time I checked?

Link Posted: 10/11/2010 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's cheaper at AIM.

Yep.  Sometimes I buy ammo there too.

But my wife never sends me to AIM to buy a 48 lb bag if IAMs dog food, sometimes she does send me to Walmart and I buy the Federal bulk .22LR while I'm there, today I saw the Tula.

Well, you could search her purse for your testicles and credit card and click on over to AIM.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2010 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That doesn't seem very cheap. I thought the 100rd WWB stuff for 9mm was going for around $17 the last time I checked?

$27 here in Tallanasty.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks like its time to scare the associates when I start hanging around the gun rack at the local wally world!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a 50 round box of 9mm to try out this weekend, and my friend bought himself two 50 round boxes of .40 S&W.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a 50 round box of 9mm to try out this weekend, and my friend bought himself two 50 round boxes of .40 S&W.

Truthfully, I ran five boxes of the 9mm through my CZ P-07 yesterday without a hitch. It actually shot cleaner then the Federal, which covered my forearm in black shit that I'm assuming was unburnt powder.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's cheaper at AIM.

no shipping though.

HRB and HRB scale's are apples and oranges.  B scale uses a ball bearing and C scale uses a diamond point.  I worked in a metallurgy lab for 5 years and did hardness testing every day.

I think you mean B vs C.

Edit: C is typically used for harder materials where a spherical shape won't make an impression or it won't be as well defined (and as measurable) as an X pattern in a prepared surface.

On the topic, I haven't seen Tula at my local Walmartz, but when I do I'm gonna buy some and I'm gonna run it through my AR...

Yeah, that's what I meant.  HRB vs. HRC.  

Rockwell hardness scale
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm $9.47/box.

.223 $4.97/box.

50 or 100 box?

You haven't been there for awhile, have you?  WWB 9mm is now $24 a box.
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is the "TulAmmo" stuff in the black boxes imported by the same people as the "Tula Cartridge Works" in the generic white boxes (I know it's the same ammo, I'm wondering if it's the same people importing it and just came out with new packaging).

I'm wondering the same thing. My walmart has the white box russian ?tula? ammo. I bought a case of the stuff and fired about 250rds with no problems.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's cheaper at AIM.

no shipping though.

I think you mean B vs C.

Yeah, that's what I meant.  HRB vs. HRC.  

Rockwell hardness scale

I dunno what to say here.  I said never mind the small letters in a facetious fashion and then you both concentrated on them.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2010 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they go all Tula my Walmart ammo buying days would be over. They would probably still carry maroon/black box of Federal but WWB is always the cheapest and sold in 100 packs.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm $9.47/box.

.223 $4.97/box.

50 or 100 box?

It must have been a few years for you then, because it's $23.47 or something at my local stores for the 100rd WWB.

The Federal is still cheaper when I get my grandpa to buy it for me because he works there. Family ftw.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw it and didn't buy any as I haven't heard anything of it... I figured I'd buy about 60 rds to run through my AR to see how it is.  Is that even enough to see if it works somewhat decent?

I bought two boxes for the same reason.  I'm guessing its about Wolfish in performance.

That's because it is Wolf.

Wolf is just an importer - not a manufacturer.  Tula manufactures a lot of ammo for Wolf.

Are you sure Wolf is made at Tula?

Says so right on the box. Look at the fine print on the bottom right of the box-it says "Manufactured at the Tula Cartridge Works".
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will no longer shoot Tula .223.

I've never had any problems with Wolf or any steel cased ammo, but while shooting some fresh from the box Tula I had a round blow a primer and lodge the case in the chamber.

The upper and lower came apart fine, and after a few hours of basically beating my Dewey cleaning rod down the bbl with a steel male/female adapter I finally punched the bastard out. No discernible bulge in case, I need to take some calipers to it to check the specs just for shits and gigs. Checked the chamber and barrel thoroughly, nothing out of the ordinary, no burrs or anything else. Lake City and Federal brass ran fine after that.

I was going to post pics and make a thread, but never got around to it. This was about a month ago. I gave the rest of that ammo away to a friend with fair warning, I don't know if he's shot it yet.

I'm confident the issue wasn't with the gun, so from now on no Tula for me, likely no steel case at all.

I think I'll manage.

Next time do not put a steel rod down the bore and beat on it. You probably scratched the shit out of your bore.

Leave the rifle assembled. Pull down on the charging handle while you smack the buttstock on the ground a few times and it will come right out.

Mine didn't. First round of Tula I fired lodged just like described here. Closed the bolt on the case, pulled the C-handle release and whacked the butt on the ground. Case still chambered. Several more times with no result. Rod down the barrel and it came right out. No other problems after that, have fired 6-8 boxes so far. One round with a problem and none since. When I had the carbine I built I had the same problem with a round of brass cased ammo too, so it's not always steel cased ammo.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm wondering the same thing. My walmart has the white box russian ?tula? ammo. I bought a case of the stuff and fired about 250rds with no problems.

Locally they have mostly black/red box TulAmmo, but 7.62X39(also $4.97/box) is in the white box/black print. Maybe Tula's using up the plain white boxes and moving to the "pretty" ones hoping for better sales.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top