Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2010 8:29:31 PM EDT
Do you keep a snake or snakes?  What kind?

I have a black rat snake.  He's captive bred and he's about 40" long.  His name is Nag.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:33:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I keep and breed reptiles for a living.

One of my favorites is named DD05.54Ka.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:36:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to keep a lot of snakes (Including venomous) and took care of many more working for a wholesale place.  These days I have as many as I'll put up with- three.  A California kingsnake that I caught, a Mandarin ratsnake I bought, and a Mexican hognose that I bought.  I'd rather find and photograph them than keep them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:41:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a gorgeous Sunglow Motley Cornsnake who's a little more than a year old.

My son asked for a snake for his birthday last year.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#4]

I keep snakes and spiders in my backyard.  By that, I mean they live somewhere there.

I dont look for them

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:45:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Have you shipped my baby gaboon yet?
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:52:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I forgot. I'll get right on that.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:54:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Proud owner of a Pigmy Rattlesnake. I caught him two weeks ago after a bow hunt while walking back to the truck from my treestand. Atleast I brought somethng home that night. He's quite the voracious eater of pinkies, although he's about to move on to fuzzies. Pic is from my BlackBerry on the walk back. Right before I abducted him.

I've owned many different snakes and my daughter is fascinated with them.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I forgot. I'll get right on that.  

well! since you haven't shipped yet, throw in mamba?

and hopefully you won't mind my take on your picture?

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:15:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Just a corn snake, he's about 4 years old.  Loves his tasty mice.  No pic, though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Proud owner of a Pigmy Rattlesnake. I caught him two weeks ago after a bow hunt while walking back to the truck from my treestand. Atleast I brought somethng home that night. He's quite the voracious eater of pinkies, although he's about to move on to fuzzies. Pic is from my BlackBerry on the walk back. Right before I abducted him.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2676/pigmyfromchandler.jpg

OOOOoooo I'm tellin'.  

Seriously though you may not want to tell too many people your keeping a venomous reptile illegally in Florida.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 7:50:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Female Corn Snake named Carmina is all I have currently.  She was captive bred and hatched this Spring.

I used to keep and breed many more snakes (mostly native Texas snakes) but children needed my snake room, so I am down to pet status.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just a corn snake, he's about 4 years old.  Loves his tasty mice.  No pic, though.

Are you feeding live mice?  I am using thawed mice since Im afraid he might get injured by a live mouse.  However, I do notice that a warm thawed mouse and a little shake after he grabs it makes him literally squeeze it so hard the guts pop out the rear.  So I think he is capable of killing a mouse.  Hes about 43" long and about 1 1/4" in at his largest.  His head is about 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" long.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I keeped tons of shit.

right now..

3 blood pythons.
1 ball python.
1 east d rattler.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I did 20 years ago.

I'm a bit discouraged that mutants seem to have completely taken over the market.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I did 20 years ago.

I'm a bit discouraged that mutants seem to have completely taken over the market.

Im new to snake keeping but I have to admit that the color variations seem pretty cool but I like the way my snake looks.  I was torn between a black or gray rat.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I have two Black Rat Snakes;

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#17]

I didnt think you could cohabitate them?

What do you feed them?
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you feeding live mice?  I am using thawed mice since Im afraid he might get injured by a live mouse.  However, I do notice that a warm thawed mouse and a little shake after he grabs it makes him literally squeeze it so hard the guts pop out the rear.  So I think he is capable of killing a mouse.  Hes about 43" long and about 1 1/4" in at his largest.  His head is about 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" long.

Yes.  The mouse doesn't have a chance to injure the snake, Xeno is an assassin.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Ahhhhh...Dupe?

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I didnt think you could cohabitate them?

What do you feed them?

Live mice;

They're fine together;

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Had an Everglades Ratsnake  that was a year maybe 2 years old when I got it live for another 26 years.
Been looking to get another of some kind or another.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I keep Surinam boas

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

They look about 5' long?  How long have they been on live mice?  Are they wild caught?

They were caught this Summer, and have only been fed mice.

Here's the thread from when the second one was caught. I must not have made a thread about the first one, but it was only a couple months prior.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1030128

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

such fascinating photos.  what do you do if he decides to make a run for it?

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#26]
one southeaster kingsnake I rescued from some farm equipment
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

such fascinating photos.  what do you do if he decides to make a run for it?

They aren't that fast....a fast walk is about as fast as they can move:-)

I miss my albino monocled:-(
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I got them a new/better water dish;

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 11:38:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I've had a few. A ball Python was the first, then a Red Tail, then an Amethystine.

The Amethystine was about 7' when I got it, emerald and iridescent. Although they have a rep for being bitey, this one never did. I wish I still had a pic of it, they are IMO one of the most beautiful snakes alive.

Mine looked similar to this one, maybe a bit more green-

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 12:41:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

LOL...dude....what do you hink they eat in the wild. I'm not sure what a little mouse could do to a 4 foot long snake who's diet consists entirely of rodents.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 12:58:06 AM EDT
[#31]
1.0 Red tail boa, 7ft
0.1 Blood python, 5ft
0.1 Red Phase Western Hognose
8.3 Ball pythons (1.3 of which are pastel)
1.0 House Gecko on "extended stay" from the Washington DC Zoo

I want a little corn snake...wife gives me the same look I give her when we walk past all the tarantulas and other creepy bugs.... "uh i dont think so"
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 1:04:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 2:37:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...dude....what do you hink they eat in the wild. I'm not sure what a little mouse could do to a 4 foot long snake who's diet consists entirely of rodents.

In the wild rodents can escape....in a cage the rodent is forced to fight....problem is, snakes don't kill unless they want to eat 99% of the time therefore the rodent can continue to bite and in turn kill the snake!

It pisses me off when people say "in the wild" as a comeback defending their actions....guess what chief, they aren't in the wild!
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I keep Surinam boas

I have a couple Surinams myself.  Yours look pretty nice.  Where did you get them from.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#35]
The reason to feed dead mice is because they can mess a constricting snake up quick, and captive snakes are more susceptible to infections resulting from bite wounds because bacteria can build up rapidly in a small enclosure.  Snakes die of such encounters in the wild enough, you don't want your pet snake suffering the same.

Frozen mice are also far more convenient.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#36]
I keep and breed Honduran Milk snake color morphs and Ball Python morphs.  My girl friend is working with Ball Pythons and California Kingsnakes.  I have been keeping snakes for 17 years and we currently have 23 animals.

Retic, what business do you own?  Do you go to any of the shows?  I typically go to Daytona every year and some of the other smaller shows in SC.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#37]
My cages are now empty and I'm looking to sell my 4foot sliding glass front Neodesha caging system if anyone is near Charlotte ,N.C.

Still love the reptiles and will have more one day but small non venomous stuff.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Be careful; you can get the hammer of dead for selling outside the EE.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Be careful; you can get the hammer of dead for selling outside the EE.

You are correct, thanks.. I did not think of that.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I have the proper credentials.

Quoted:

Quoted:

OOOOoooo I'm tellin'.      

Seriously though you may not want to tell too many people your keeping a venomous reptile illegally in Florida.

Link Posted: 10/31/2010 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have the proper credentials.

Quoted:

Quoted:

OOOOoooo I'm tellin'.      

/pigmyfromchandler.jpg

Chandler slough? put in some miles there during small game.

Buddy just picked up a California Kingsnake today.  I know, nothing fancy, but cool nonetheless
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I had ball pythons and a Dumeril's boa a few years ago. The Dum was about 6 feet long, and pound for pound the absolute strongest snake I have ever handled. I helped a friend with a 15 foot Burmese python a couple years ago, and while the strength of a snake that size is impressive(and just about indescribable) I was thankful Dums don't get that big. If I get back into snakes I want a n eastern Gaboon(I think they're the ones that don't have a "rhino horn" on their nose) but that will require a substantial change in IA law, or a move to another state.

Maybe I'll settle for the "nonvenomous version". No, not a venomoid Gabby-a Malaysian blood python. Just as fat and heavy, fast strike, but a bite results in bleeding and not death. Gaboons are absolutely beautiful, as are my second favorite venomous, blackhead bushmasters. however, the toxicity of the venom prevents me from considering either until my 2 year old daughter gets old enough to know what "that snake can kill you" means. That, and the fact that I'm well aware that both are above my experience and skill level. I'll settle for taking pictures of the ones at Reptile Gardens.
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Sometimes people ask what happens if one bites you, and today I was replacing the water dish after cleaning it and got bit, so I figured I show what happens. The one whose head is closest to the front in the pic above struck, and since I had thought I was out of range I pulled back a little bit.

Never pull back, or it will tear a bit.

Link Posted: 11/2/2010 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Pets/SnakesNewWaterDish.jpg" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Pets/SnakesNewWaterDish.jpg</a>

Sometimes people ask what happens if one bites you, and today I was replacing the water dish after cleaning it and got bit, so I figured I show what happens. The one whose head is closest to the front in the pic above struck, and since I had thought I was out of range I pulled back a little bit.

Never pull back, or it will tear a bit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Pets/Bite.jpg

Lol.  I've been tagged catching wild black snakes. My cat regularly causes worse when he decides to get rough while playing. In fact thorn bushes do worse when I'm rabbit hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top