Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/13/2011 11:37:21 PM EDT
What say the hive? Any one have any experience with them?

Im kind of lookin at these

but i have zero experience with retreads.

Any info would be appreciated

Link Posted: 1/13/2011 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd rather walk.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a problem with them on an 18-wheeler.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 11:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Never ran them on my tractor, but never had a problem with the ones I ran on my step deck.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd rather walk.

Retreads are for retards. No way I would trust my life or my familys to them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure about my truck...

I work with a LOT of fucking tires. 90% of them retreads. In the last few years at work I have changed out 20-60 trailer tires a day, so 1,000's of them. Work on the docks.

It is rarely the retread that causes the tire failure. The tread separation only happens after the tire has gone flat and is driven 10's or 100's of miles. Even after that the carcus of the tire usually fails before the tread rips off. All those "retreads" you see along the highway... Usually contain the belts= whole tire failed.

I would most likely run them...maybe
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 11:47:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You will when one comes off as you're passing and does a few thousand in damage to your car.  Happened to a buddies truck.  Smashed the passenger headlight and "totaled" the fender, passenger door, and bedside.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 12:03:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You will when one comes off as you're passing and does a few thousand in damage to your car.  Happened to a buddies truck.  Smashed the passenger headlight and "totaled" the fender, passenger door, and bedside.
I drive an 18-wheeler LOL

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#8]
No thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

At first I thought you did, but then I figured you would have said "my 18 wheeler" instead of "an 18 wheeler."  Either way, point still stands.  I imagine the damage if you took one would cost even more to repair than it cost my buddy.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

At first I thought you did, but then I figured you would have said "my 18 wheeler" instead of "an 18 wheeler."  Either way, point still stands.  I imagine the damage if you took one would cost even more to repair than it cost my buddy.  

Do you have reason to believe that the tire in question was a retread, other than "the tire blew, so it must have been a retread"?

As NwG stated above, if you see cords/belts in the remnants of a blown tire, it means that the whole tire failed, not that the cap fell off.

Truck tires blow out mainly due to the heavy weights they carry and the fact that they are usually used in dual setups.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 12:32:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I almost got hit by one while on my gixxer. Almost had a coronary.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 12:41:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have reason to believe that the tire in question was a retread, other than "the tire blew, so it must have been a retread"?

As NwG stated above, if you see cords/belts in the remnants of a blown tire, it means that the whole tire failed, not that the cap fell off.

Truck tires blow out mainly due to the heavy weights they carry and the fact that they are usually used in dual setups.

No reason except all the flats and the one blowout I've had did not result in the rubber leaving the wheel.  I wasn't there so I can't say for certain that it was a retread in that case.  Is it common for the entire tire to come off the rim on an 18wheeler that has a blowout?  You guys ever heard of beadlockers?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I was curious about retreads and found this video on a factory tour of a retread factory. Interesting.

ETA: All the work to do the retread makes it amazing it is still cheaper than making a brand new tire.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No reason except all the flats and the one blowout I've had did not result in the rubber leaving the wheel.  I wasn't there so I can't say for certain that it was a retread in that case.  Is it common for the entire tire to come off the rim on an 18wheeler that has a blowout?  You guys ever heard of beadlockers?  

Truck tires have about 100 psi in them, so when they let go, they really LET GO

Usually the sidewalls are left on the wheel when one blows.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have heard nothing but good things about that company and their tires.  Your probably safe.
My father exclusively purchased retreads up until he couldn't find them local anymore.
Never a blowout....
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:12:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I ran them on my first car (re tread snow tires). If you're pinched for money, they beat buying used tires.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:31:29 AM EDT
[#17]
used them quite often when I was a broke teenager back in the 70's on my Torino......never had a problem with one. I'd wear them out from spinning them before they got old though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:36:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Trusting your life to someone else's retreads, is like trusting your life to some else's reloads.

FAIL.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:37:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Why have I never heard of retreads? It beats the hell out of $1.5 k every change of tires on my pickup.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:50:46 AM EDT
[#20]
This is a Marine from my unit that was killed when his re-treaded tires came apart on him.  He had not put a lot of miles on the tires.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:05:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why have I never heard of retreads? It beats the hell out of $1.5 k every change of tires on my pickup.

You get what you pay for man.

There was a study done some time ago, 80s or 90s.  Tire debris on a stretch of highway was collected, identified and cataloged and the results said that 2/3 of the failed tires were new, and 1/3 were retreads.  This statistic was (still is?) used by the retread industry to state the safety of retreads.

What they don't mention is that new tires outsell retreads by a margin of something like 20 or 30 to 1.  More than twice as many new tires are sold each year in California than retreads are sold in the entire country.

When you make up 1/3 of the failures but 1/30 of the market, are you really "safe"?
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:11:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Retread technology has gotten a lot better lately, but the tread tends to be stiffer where it is bonded to the carcass than a new tire is.

That introduces more rolling resistance, and therefore lower fuel mileage.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 4:56:01 AM EDT
[#23]
The aviation industry uses a double buttload of recaps that go 180 knots.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#24]
The price is certainly appealing. My diesel is currenty parked because it needs new tires I and can't currently afford the $800-$1200 for a new set. The truck never gets above 75, mainly because it can't for any extended period of time.

I'm looking at these btw http://www.treadwright.com/p-75-285-75-r16-warden-a-t-e.aspx
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:21:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I have used them in my teen years when my budget was tight. Never have used them since.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:22:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I ran retreads on my '83 Falcon in Australia, because I couldn't afford normal tires.

All of them ended up having problems. If I were to do it again, I'd pony up and get real tires.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:32:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Not for steers, good for all other positions.  Also, keep them aired up, and they're fine.  THe causes that make caps blow, also make virgins blow.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:37:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I didn't know there were still any for light trucks or cars, I wouldn't have a problem with them if you can get the ring tread type for them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:39:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I used retreads for years when the company that made them was local.

Never had a problem with them. Keep them correctly inflated & you shouldn't have any issues.

FYI: Most airlines use retread tires on their jets http://www.desser.com/retreading.php

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I may be wrong, but i swear I remember reading somewhere that they were no go on passenger vehicles.  Only commercial. I think the logic was that if one tire shits the bed on an 18 wheeler, its normally no big deal.  if one tire shits teh bed on a passenger car it could very likely mean accident, injury, or death.  

that being said.  I personally don't think I would ever use a retreaded tire on my car.

eta: i guess they are legal, from what i'm reading from other members who bought them.  you learn something new everyday round here.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#31]
dub tap
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:54:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Barring a specialized need, that sounds stupid.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'd rather walk.

They use them on airplanes all the time.

• Aircraft tire Retreads are not only cost effective, but they are also
                               dependable, reliable, and safe. Aircraft tire
                               retreads are used on commercial and
                               military jets
    and by virtually all
                               flight school operators.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:59:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why's that? Good tires are expensive. A set of 285/75's in BF Goodwrench T/A's are $1200 a set.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:08:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
used them quite often when I was a broke teenager back in the 70's on mt Torino......never had a problem with one. I'd wear them out from spinning them before they got old though.

Same here.  I was a poor college student and they always worked very well for me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why's that? Good tires are expensive. A set of 285/75's in BF Goodwrench T/A's are $1200 a set.

I've never spent more than $400 on tires for any vehicle I've owned, new or used. I've never had a blowout that wasn't directly attributable to poor alignment and only ever had one bad tire (egg in the sidewall).

That qualifies as good in my book.

If you want to spend that much, knock yourself out, but don't complain because you wants to haz opulence.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a study done some time ago, 80s or 90s.  Tire debris on a stretch of highway was collected, identified and cataloged and the results said that 2/3 of the failed tires were new, and 1/3 were retreads.  This statistic was (still is?) used by the retread industry to state the safety of retreads.

What they don't mention is that new tires outsell retreads by a margin of something like 20 or 30 to 1.  More than twice as many new tires are sold each year in California than retreads are sold in the entire country.

When you make up 1/3 of the failures but 1/30 of the market, are you really "safe"?

Statisitcs FAIL.

That "1/30th"  of the market is almost exclusively heavy trucks, which roll upteen gazillion miles, usually fully loaded, at 100 PSI, ....and occasionally get regrooved.

If you looked at "miles run per failure", the retreads would whip the new tires, hands down....

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I have read alot about treadwright and have only heard like 1 or 2 complaints on them total.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never spent more than $400 on tires for any vehicle I've owned, new or used. I've never had a blowout that wasn't directly attributable to poor alignment and only ever had one bad tire (egg in the sidewall).

If you want to spend that much, knock yourself out, but don't complain because you wants to haz opulence.

I run 315/17s BFG TA KOs on my Dodge.

It sounds to me like you're saying that anybody who buy's LaRue or Knights equipment is a spendthrift who is just showing off.

Or am I talking apples/oranges?

Edit for highlighting fail.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#41]
There are things to go cheap on and things to buy the best you can afford.

Tires are in the latter category for me. Your mileage, it may vary.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I run 315/17s BFG TA KOs on my Dodge.

It sounds to me like you're saying that anybody who buy's LaRue or Knights equipment is a spendthrift who is just showing off.

Or am I talking apples/oranges?

Edit for highlighting fail.

I don't complain about people spending that much on a LaRue or Knights.

It's more along the lines of a raised eyebrow about somebody *complaining* about having *had* to buy 28" Dubs.

That's why I prefaced my statement with, "Barring a specialized need, that sounds stupid."

I googled that tire you mentioned and the second link in the list was talking about hummers, so I knew you were a douche.

And a cursory googling of the ones jmarka complained about makes me question the shopping skills of the guy paying that much for a set.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I run the those on the back of my medium duty wrecker (245/70R19.5).

I paid the extra couple bucks for the crushed walnut and glass in the tread.I am very happy with them-great traction,ride great (quiet),and no issues whatsoever.When my carrier needs tires,I'll be getting another set.

There is nothing wrong with retreads-they have just gotten a bad name over the years due to mostly rumors.Keep them inflated and you wont have a problem.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Statisitcs FAIL.

That "1/30th"  of the market is almost exclusively heavy trucks, which roll upteen gazillion miles, usually fully loaded, at 100 PSI, ....and occasionally get regrooved.

If you looked at "miles run per failure", the retreads would whip the new tires, hands down....

Are such statistics available?

As for the other posters mention about commercial aircraft, those things are changed every 10 or 20 landings.  Not many miles at all, though they probably don't count for many of the tires used either.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

As for the other posters mention about commercial aircraft, those things are changed every 10 or 20 landings.  Not many miles at all, though they probably don't count for many of the tires used either.

Best I can come up with on short notice...

from  michelin retread site

New and retreaded medium truck tires have pretty much the same failure rates and modes on U.S. highways, according to a survey of truck tire debris performed for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) by the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute (TRI).

The report was received warmly by the retread industry, which hailed it as a vindication both of the high quality of retreads on the market today and the industry’s consistent position that failed retreads do not disproportionately comprise truck tire “alligators” littering the nation’s highways.

To obtain a representative sample of truck tires, tire forensic scientists at TRI gathered discarded casings at five truck stops in Florida, Indiana, California, Arizona and Virginia, and tire debris along random sections of interstate highways in the same states.

Of the 300 casings examined, the newest was about a year old, the oldest 17 years, according to the survey.  Roughly 60 percent were new tires, with the majority of the retreaded casings on their first retreading and a product of the procure process.  All of this was expected, considering tire industry norms, the report said.

Road hazards, represented the biggest cause of the casings’ being removed from service (32 percent) according to the report.  Maintenance/operational factors were second with 30 percent and overdeflected operation third with 14 percent.

The 1,196 tire fragments ranged from small sections of tread or belt to virtually complete, detached tread-belt packages, according to the study. Of the fragments studied, approximately, 18 percent came from new truck tires and 68 percent from retreaded tires and the rest of indeterminable origin, the report said.

These figures the report continued, closely match the estimates of new and retread truck tires in current service. “Indeed, the OE vs. retread proportions of the collected tire dbris broadly correlated with accepted industry expectations,” it said.  “Additionally, there was no evidence to suggest that the proportion of the tire fragments/shreds from retread tires was overrepresented in the debris items collected.”

Road hazards were to blame in 38 percent of the tire debris collected, the study said.  Evidence of excessive heat signifying underinflation was found in another 30 percent. “These results suggest that the majority of tire debris found on the nation’s highways is not a result of manufacturing/process deficiencies,” the survey said in conclusion.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best I can come up with on short notice...

Acceptable enough.

I'll take retreads out of my 'things i hate' box and just put in 'tractor trailers shredding tires' instead.  Retreads or not, those things are a damn menace and need a more graceful failure mode.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have only changed them once and it was 1500 for 5 tires. It is about the same for tires on my Ford too. If you don't have mud tires on a pickup that goes into the mud its about as stupid as carrying a gun with no bullets.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to know how you managed that? Outside of stealing rims and tires off of someones car of course.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#50]
I would not use them but i cant back up why. i guess its an irrational fear of them.. I have no proof one way or the other..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top