Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/21/2011 9:12:33 AM EDT
I found the below pictures on the web and had never seen them before, thought they may be of interest. First is a picture of a gate guard at Offutt AFB SAC headquarters in June 1959. Note the revolver grips, plus it appears to be nickel plated, with a lanyard ring. I wish we could see more of it for positive ID. Hard to say if it is a tricked up Victory model, or some other S&W product. This one is definitely not your normal idea of USGI issue. The sad thing is, if it somehow survived in civilian hands, the so-called experts would be the first to call it a Bubba-ized, refinished weapon, when it was in fact in USAF issued condition.

This one is interesting, depicting a scrambling B-47 crew in April 1960. It appears to be a round butt Colt or S&W Aircrewman revolver in a USGI issue tan holster usually used with 4 inch S&W victory models, or similar issue weapons.

This last photo, from early 1961, shows the interior of the SAC airborne command post. The NCO leaning on the seat appears to be wearing a S&W K-frame revolver in a non-USAF issue holster, worn in a cross draw on his left side.

If anybody has other USAF sidearm pictures, post away!
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Not AF gun but it's still cool.

Here is my old school WWII US Navy Victory.  

S&W historian Roy Jinks researched my gun's SN and it was delivered to the US Navy at Norfolk, VA in 1945.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I found the below pictures on the web and had never seen them before, thought they may be of interest. First is a picture of a gate guard at Offutt AFB SAC headquarters in June 1959. Note the revolver grips, plus it appears to be nickel plated, with a lanyard ring. I wish we could see more of it for positive ID. Hard to say if it is a tricked up Victory model, or some other S&W product. This one is definitely not your normal idea of USGI issue. The sad thing is, if it somehow survived in civilian hands, the so-called experts would be the first to call it a Bubba-ized, refinished weapon, when it was in fact in USAF issued condition.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/nukevault/gallery/image01.jpg  

This one is interesting, depicting a scrambling B-47 crew in April 1960. It appears to be a round butt Colt or S&W Aircrewman revolver in a USGI issue tan holster usually used with 4 inch S&W victory models, or similar issue weapons.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/nukevault/gallery/image10.jpg

This last photo, from early 1961, shows the interior of the SAC airborne command post. The NCO leaning on the seat appears to be wearing a S&W K-frame revolver in a non-USAF issue holster, worn in a cross draw on his left side.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/nukevault/gallery/image06.jpg

the SAC AP is probably carrying a S&W Model 15, the B-47 probably a Model 13, and as to the TSgt probably a Model 15
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#3]
What's a hangun?

Good post, OP. Enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

S&W historian Roy Jinks researched my gun's SN and it was delivered to the US Navy at Norfolk, VA in 1945.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/giantseabass/Guns/v2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/giantseabass/Guns/v3.jpg

That sir, is badass!
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Back in the day some of the bases had "Elite" gate sections, with their own manning, and they had leeway courtesy of the base commander to deviate from AFR 3510 (That pic is from the 70's or 80's ) and  wear different configurations of uniforms and custom gear like nickle plated revolvers and different grip material.
I'm not sure if SAC Elite Guard manned the gates back then, but,  that could be a possibility too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Back in the day some of the bases had "Elite" gate sections, with their own manning, and they had leeway courtesy of the base commander to deviate from AFR 3510 (That pic is from the 70's or 80's ) and  wear different configurations of uniforms and custom gear like nickle plated revolvers and different grip material.
I'm not sure if SAC Elite Guard manned the gates back then, but,  that could be a possibility too.

I was in TAC my whole time (late 70's-80's), but I have never heard of elite gate guards. Was that a SAC thing? I know LeMay was very much into the whole "elite" force concept. Interesting.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]
SAC had an Elite Guard section, i had a few friends in it back in the day. It was a special duty assignment. Space Command had one too at Peterson. Wow, I think USAFE had one also.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Revolvers with stag grips are cooler than most of this tactical bullshit we have today.  That is all.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#9]
The first photo is a staged pic.  Not really standing guard duty.  What is he guarding, the sign?  Nickle plated 38 just for looks.   When I was in most had S&W model 15's.  They were begining to transition to the M9
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]
One of these days I really should add a S&W Model 15 to the collection. Security Police marked one would rock.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Ya know, some of us lucky C-130 aircrew types were still using the S&W 38's as late as 1991. Those pistols were around a long time.

Neat post OP.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Spotted this one on gunbroker,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=215162404
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya know, some of us lucky C-130 aircrew types were still using the S&W 38's as late as 1991. Those pistols were around a long time.

Neat post OP.

I remember inventorying aircrew S&W .38's (2" & 4") and Colt .38's at MCAS El Toro in the mid 80's.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
SAC had an Elite Guard section, i had a few friends in it back in the day. It was a special duty assignment. Space Command had one too at Peterson. Wow, I think USAFE had one also.

Yup, was "elite" guard at RAF Chicksands, emphasis on the little "e". We joked that you could always tell us apart because our hands smelled like Clorox from washing our white 550 cords laces in the sink. Anyone else remember "ladder lacing"? We'd all get funky rashes up under our chins from those damn starched ascots we had to wear.

Thanks OP for the pics. Yes, the SAC EG is carrying an M15 S&W. I carried one in England. Mine was so shot out it spit shit all over the place when firing. We'd come back from the range with our faces speckled in powder and crap from shooting at the RAF Molesworth range, good times. The SAC CP aircraft is Looking Glass.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One of these days I really should add a S&W Model 15 to the collection. Security Police marked one would rock.

Air Police would be even cooler!
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#16]
wonder why so many carry cross draw.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/giantseabass/Guns/v2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/giantseabass/Guns/v3.jpg

Absolutely awesome.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That was the "Tier 1" of it's day.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, was "elite" guard at RAF Chicksands, emphasis on the little "e". We joked that you could always tell us apart because our hands smelled like Clorox from washing our white 550 cords laces in the sink. Anyone else remember "ladder lacing"? We'd all get funky rashes up under our chins from those damn starched ascots we had to wear.

Thanks OP for the pics. Yes, the SAC EG is carrying an M15 S&W. I carried one in England. Mine was so shot out it spit shit all over the place when firing. We'd come back from the range with our faces speckled in powder and crap from shooting at the RAF Molesworth range, good times. The SAC CP aircraft is Looking Glass.

Back before the "elite guard" was a first duty assignment.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I miss the old "Hap Arnold" winged star, as seen on the last photos crewman's flightsuit. I hate the new angled one, looks stoopid. No wonder we don't have any heritage, we keep changing shit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back before the "elite guard" was a first duty assignment.  

Yup, the fellas at Offut were hand picked, cream of the crop and DID NOT fuck around. LeMay would test them unmercifully. Folks would try to push the envelope, and fail quite spectacularly. Hell, there's a story about the "kneecap" bird looking sharper than Air Force One on a visit and the AF1 crew chiefs getting steamed. SAC did not do things in half measure.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Neat post OP.

I remember inventorying aircrew S&W .38's (2" & 4") and Colt .38's at MCAS El Toro in the mid 80's.

I carried those more than the 4".  Never saw a Colt in the units I was assigned.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are "elite" guards at hurby also. They have that turtle neck thing, those white ropes and M9s with "pearl" grips
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I miss the old "Hap Arnold" winged star, as seen on the last photos crewman's flightsuit. I hate the new angled one, looks stoopid. No wonder we don't have any heritage, we keep changing shit.

that is our heritage
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They started one up during my days at Minot too.   It was manned by LE troops at the time and there was much attention to uniform detail on that crew!  I can't recall any weapons mods though....only issued M9s.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#26]
The S&W Model 15 was an issued pistol. The grips are Stag, not ivory.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Funny you should bring this up, because five minutes ago I was watching an old Air Force film in which a guy was wearing a shoulder holster with an old Smith & Wesson in it.

Tag for interest.

(The sergeant in the third picture on the airborne command post is most likely the guy who was in charge of the cryptologic codes and, hence, was armed at all times).
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is our heritage

It is funny because it's true.  

Instead of throwing money around at testing new uniforms and just go to ebay, buy an old Army Air Corps uniform and make it in blue.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#29]
FWIW, I found out that the revolver in the first photo is a S&W Victory model that was polished, hard chromed, and fitted with Franzite faux-stag plastic grips. This was an officially done modification for the HQ SAC elite guard. The elite guards all used the cross draw holster during that time frame. This was before the USAF adopted the S&W Model 15 as a more or less standard revolver.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I happen to know where one of these is hiding out.

Sorry for the poor pic.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#31]
This is a very neat and informative thread. I really want a Model 15.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are "elite" guards at hurby also. They have that turtle neck thing, those white ropes and M9s with "pearl" grips

Where at Hurlburt? All I've seen are the ones in ABU's and the contractors in ABU's too (that always annoyed me).
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Website for Detachment "A", 3902nd Air Police and later Combat Defense Squadron, AKA the SAC Elite Guard, here: http://www.saceliteguard.com/

I have a metric shit ton of SAC and Offutt AFB related stuff, including one of the drill team uniform shirts from this unit, as well as a lot of SAC marked zippos. The drill team was deactivated in the 60's with the demand for more AF security forces to guard air bases in Vietnam. There are a few of these guys who were in combat performing said mission.

When I get my tax return, I'm building a "what if" SAC marked Colt 601, as if LeMay had got the rifles when he asked for them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is our heritage

LOL, touche' you are quite right. we can't help but "McPeakize" ourselves every few years.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Easier to draw while seated, "Drover" style.  

Revolvers of course because nobody wants spent casings flying around an aircraft.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
LOL, touche' you are quite right. we can't help but "McPeakize" ourselves every few years.

Cripes.  I remember 35-10 changing a bunch of times for the 5 years I was in...

Getting ready for work, I can't recall how many times I asked or was asked:

"Are these still authorized for wear?"

"When can I wear these?"

"I have to get new stripes sewn on, when?"
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Neat post OP.

+1, you are correct sir.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They must have had those guys at Kadena as well. I was deployed there (USMC) for 5 weeks in 1983. You describe them perfectly. Bloused jump boots, white ladder laces, ascots and berets. Maybe it had something to do with the SR71's.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#39]
http://www.collectorssource.com/handguns/s-w-u-s-air-force-lighweight-revolver-m13.html

S&W  U.S. Air Force Lighweight Revolver M13

Availability: In stock

$650.00                

Very Rare US Air Force Airweight survival revolver. .38 Spec.,Aluminum
frame has been rewelded FOR COLLECTION ONLY..NOT SHOOTING. In original
USAF marked holster.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#40]
stupid assclowns welding that revolver.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#41]
I have two of those. Well, the rear cut off sections. with misc. parts. I was wondering if I could ever find front halfs to do something like that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
stupid assclowns welding cutting up that revolver.

Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#43]
First pic is probably Model 15, and may not be nickle, just a reflection off the blue.  Grips are non-standard, wonder if anybody made a fuss over that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I agree.  Having served at a SAC base, a SAC Wing Commander could do just about whatever the hell he wanted to

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

The first photo is a staged pic.  Not really standing guard duty.  What is he guarding, the sign?  Nickle plated 38 just for looks.   When I was in most had S&W model 15's.  They were begining to transition to the M9

he might have been posing but I bet he was on duty and the sign was near the base entrance.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"When can I wear these?"

McPeak started that bullshit and every swingin 4 star has to try and top his ass. In just the last couple of years every major command CC has his own idea on how the uniform can be worn and the wing kings are getting into the habit of making up a poilcy also. Its getting to the point where I do not know what is right or wrong. I'm scared of making a correction on somebody. AFCENT is in a world of its own over here in reguards to uniform wear. I really hate it.

AF, keep fixing it till it breaks. When it breaks, hold a staff meeting with a power point presentation and impliment Zero Defect/TQM/AFSO 21 or what ever they are caling it this year. Do nothing with results except use it as a EPR/OER bullet.  Repeat with new AF CC.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

S&W  U.S. Air Force Lighweight Revolver M13

Availability: In stock

$650.00

Very Rare US Air Force Airweight survival revolver. .38 Spec.,Aluminum frame has been rewelded FOR COLLECTION ONLY..NOT SHOOTING. In original USAF marked holster.

<snip>

That one actually looks in slightly better condition than some of the ones I carried on active duty.    
Seriously.  We had some fugly firearms in some units.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#48]
S&W Model 15 also.    

Used to have racks and racks of them when I was in the armory at Norton AFB.

Tried the elite gate guard routine too in 1979.  Hated the white paracord lace up boot laces and such.  

Ascots were the worst along with those damn Ike jackets with the hooks for your gun belt.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
S&W Model 15 also.    

Used to have racks and racks of them when I was in the armory at Norton AFB.

Tried the elite gate guard routine too in 1979.  Hated the white paracord lace up boot laces and such.  

Ascots were the worst along with those damn Ike jackets with the hooks for your gun belt.  

Ascots, white paracord laces, bloused blues over patent leather jump boots that seemed a size too small, and white wool berets cut down, and I had to wear a white rope from my epulats...anyway ..I never got to carry the pistol but I was in the USAF Honor Guard and I did carry a M1 Rifle...

I will say I was proud of what I did but it was a very solemn duty.  I did get to stand guard over an unknown soldier tomb at Bremerton Naval Station.  I was very honored to do this even though my naval and coast guard counterparts seemed to give a shit less.  I, my Army, and Marine counterparts remained at attention all day.  When relieved...well anyway, it was obvious whom the respectful parties were and were not.  I was glad I got to represent the USAF that day and I can only hope I did my service proud.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"When can I wear these?"

McPeak started that bullshit and every swingin 4 star has to try and top his ass. In just the last couple of years every major command CC has his own idea on how the uniform can be worn and the wing kings are getting into the habit of making up a poilcy also. Its getting to the point where I do not know what is right or wrong. I'm scared of making a correction on somebody. AFCENT is in a world of its own over here in reguards to uniform wear. I really hate it.

AF, keep fixing it till it breaks. When it breaks, hold a staff meeting with a power point presentation and impliment Zero Defect/TQM/AFSO 21 or what ever they are caling it this year. Do nothing with results except use it as a EPR/OER bullet.  Repeat with new AF CC.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top