Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2011 2:07:05 PM EDT
I really miss Pollo Tropical. I love roast pork/chicken with Black beans and rice. I know it isn't top shelf Cuban food but it is great for fast food. How do I petition them to open in Texas?
There is no good Cuban/PR food in Dallas that I know of.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Try finding some Colombian food.

Incredible.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I will trade you a Pollo Tropical for a Chicken Express or Razzoos.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know - I can drive to the east side and get rotisserie chicken off a trailer any day of the week.  All I need to do is speak a bit of Spanish.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't know - I can drive to the east side and get rotisserie chicken off a trailer any day of the week.  All I need to do is speak a bit of Spanish.

yeah, but no yucca fries, tostones, black beans and rice  and Flan.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I will trade you a Pollo Tropical for a Chicken Express or Razzoos.

I loves me some Razzoo's. I have to go alone though. Everyone in my family says it's too spicy.
Pussies.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try finding some Colombian food.

Incredible.

You have an AWESOME PR restaurant close to you. In Bridgeport, It's off Boston ave in the hood. A total fucking hole in the wall. SUPERB!!!!
Sorry, can't remember name.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#7]
maybe it's because i grew up around it but cuban food> mexican food.  So underrated.

Link Posted: 5/19/2011 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
maybe it's because i grew up around it but cuban food> mexican food.  So underrated.  

Agreed. I love Tex Mex but Cuban/PR food I could eat every day.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Tried Gloria's? Think it's on Addison.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No. Added to list!!!
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 5/19/2011 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh man, I love Pollo Tropical- Give me a 1/2 Chicken Combo Mambo white rice black beans and Ceasar Salad and extra side of plantain....off to sleep I go after.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I really miss Pollo Tropical. I love roast pork/chicken with Black beans and rice. I know it isn't top shelf Cuban food but it is great for fast food. How do I petition them to open in Texas?
There is no good Cuban/PR food in Dallas that I know of.

There used to be a great place called Cuba Libre a couple blocks off Central on Henderson, but they closed about two years ago. I've also been looking for good Cuban since, with no success.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Agreed.  Pollo Tropical isn't the best island food, but it's the best fast food!  When my wife was in the hospital maternity ward her first demand as a mother was for me to fetch her some dinner and some fried plantains from el pollo tropical.  As long as you get it fresh off the grill (not dried out) it can't be beat!
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Agreed.  Pollo Tropical isn't the best island food, but it's the best fast food!  When my wife was in the hospital maternity ward her first demand as a mother was for me to fetch her some dinner and some fried plantains from el pollo tropical.  As long as you get it fresh off the grill (not dried out) it can't be beat!

My buddy visited Miami a few months ago. I had clued him in to Pollo Tropical. He took his super high maint wife and daughters there almost every day!!!  They loved it.

ETA:
"Pollo Tropical® enjoys an audience of more than 20 million people that dine at 120 locations throughout Florida, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, Trinidad, Honduras and Ecuador. The company also licenses the concept at Florida International University, University of Florida and Florida State University."
New Jersey!!! WTF!!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I have eaten there twice this week.  For fast food it has to be the best around.  Try the roast pork and cover it in curry mustard.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#17]

These best value meal in all of Miami. $2.99 gets you a 1/4 chicken, bread, black beans and rice. Throw in a Mango TropiChiller and life is good.

Link Posted: 5/19/2011 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My buddy visited Miami a few months ago. I had clued him in to Pollo Tropical. He took his super high maint wife and daughters there almost every day!!!  They loved it.

ETA:
"Pollo Tropical® enjoys an audience of more than 20 million people that dine at 120 locations throughout Florida, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, Trinidad, Honduras and Ecuador. The company also licenses the concept at Florida International University, University of Florida and Florida State University."
New Jersey!!! WTF!!!!

Large Cuban population in Union City and Hoboken NJ. Hell.... half my family is still stuck in the PRNJ.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I love Pollo Tropical! I eat it about once a week!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2544/3922271067_3d8d653fa0.jpg

These best value meal in all of Miami. $2.99 gets you a 1/4 chicken, bread, black beans and rice. Throw in a Mango TropiChiller and life is good.

I frequently hit it on the way home from work and would pick up dinner for the family for less than 20 bucks. Could not be beat.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#21]
just take the salt shaker to your mouth and save $
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Its not bad I got sick of it cause my inlaws ate there everyday.The chicken has to be eaten on the spot if not just chuck it.I'll take a Publix Lemon Pepper chicken off the rack anyday.And Yes I'm Cuban.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Its not bad I got sick of it cause my inlaws ate there everyday.The chicken has to be eaten on the spot if not just chuck it.I'll take a Publix Lemon Pepper chicken off the rack anyday.And Yes I'm Cuban.

The good thing about Publix in Miami is that you can walk right in and there is a mini cuban restaurant right there. On vacation I frequently would walk in and get a cafe cubano, tostada and a guava and cheese pastry.
And I can assure you, the ladies working there are usually Cuban grandmas!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Pollo Campero has three locations in Dallas:  one by Love Field, one on Preston just south of PGBT and one near Cockrell Hill.  They gave the yucca fries, plantains, black beans, etc.  It's frickin' fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pollo Campero has three locations in Dallas:  one by Love Field, one on Preston just south of PGBT and one near Cockrell Hill.  They gave the yucca fries, plantains, black beans, etc.  It's frickin' fantastic.

WHAT THE FRENCH TOAST!!!!!!!???

How did I not know this!1???

Thanks.

DR. Manny won't approve but I'm Going tomorrow.

Link Posted: 5/20/2011 3:13:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Cuban food is definitely WAY better than Mexican food. Hands down.

Also, Pollo Tropical is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 3:20:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. Added to list!!!

Thanks!!

There's also a Gloria's in Lakewood.

Link Posted: 5/20/2011 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cuban food is definitely WAY better than Mexican food. Hands down.

Also, Pollo Tropical is awesome.

Cuban food beats Mexican food any day of the week.

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#29]
OK, the pictures have done me in...I'm now in the mood for some island food.  I'm off to try a PR place I heard about the other day.  The guy recommended the Mofongo/Carne Frita.  Never had it before so I'm looking forward to the trip out there.  If it's a bust, I'll keep going to a Cuban place across the bridge.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Went to Pollo Campero today. Pretty good. Not  quite Pollo Tropical but chicken was good, black beans and rice were good and the yucca fries good. So, entirely satisfactory meal for the cost of a large combo meal at some shithole burger joint or KFC. Way better than KFC or Church's
Place was clean and neat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top