BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/4/2011 7:36:38 PM EDT
European Union to Send Food Aid to North Korea

By STEPHEN CASTLE
Published: July 3, 2011

BRUSSELS — Responding to the growing threat of a humanitarian crisis in North Korea, the European Union announced on Monday that it will provide about $14.5 million in emergency aid to feed more than some 650,000 North Koreans.

The bloc’s executive body, the European Commission, said that after its experts witnessed evidence of a developing crisis last month during a mission to North Korea, it negotiated an agreement with the North Koreans about how to monitor the delivery of assistance.

“Increasingly desperate and extreme measures are being taken by the hard-hit North Koreans, including the widespread consumption of grass,” the European Commission said in a statement.

Former President Jimmy Carter and two other former presidents, Mary Robinson of Ireland and Martti Ahtisaari of Finland, and former Prime Minister Gro Harlem Brundtland of Norway traveled to North Korea in April and issued grave warnings about the food situation there. (All four are members of the Elders, an independent group of world leaders established by Nelson Mandela.)

Mr. Carter was particularly concerned about the refusal of the United States and South Korea to send humanitarian assistance to the North, saying their deliberate withholding of food aid amounted to “a human rights violation.”

According to the European Commission, its experts found that in North Korea the state-distributed food rations had been more than halved in recent months. Two-thirds of the population depends on the rations, it said.

The per-person ration, which had been 400 grams of cereals per day, about 14 ounces, was reduced to 150 grams, about 5.3 ounces, in June. That is a fifth of the daily average nutritional requirement, according to European experts. Most of the rations consist of corn.

(story continues here.)
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Communism works!
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Let em starve and force a collapse.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if they trade the food they grow for guns n stuff then
expect the rest of the world to feed them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Every time someone sends in aid and food, the "dear leader" gets his cut, the mil gets theirs, and little gets to the people. It also allows the govt to stay in power longer.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#5]
were such horrible people for not letting them grow food, we're causing a crisis, we're the ones committing the humans rights violation!!!  ...Fuck Jimmy Carter
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I was talking to my grandpa the other day and I mentioned that I'd jump at the opportunity to visit N. Korea. Other than that he fought there, he was able to travel through parts of the Soviet Union and I want to see a real communist nation (been to China and don't think that it counts) before it implodes.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey EU, way to prop up a dictator!  Maybe Jimmy Carter can be the delivery boy.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Fuck Carter!
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Mr. Carter was particularly concerned about the refusal of the United States and South Korea to send humanitarian assistance to the North, saying their deliberate withholding of food aid amounted to “a human rights violation.”

We're committing a human rights violation by not giving people our things? What?
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We're committing a human rights violation by not giving people our things? What?

You are a terrible world citizen if you even have to ask such a question.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey EU, way to prop up a dictator!  Maybe Jimmy Carter can be the delivery boy.

The European Union: Rewarding Failure Since 1958™
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Far out.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Funny, he forgot to mention China...if they want a buffer state why should we pay the bill?

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Wonder if Carter still has his peanut farm. He could donate all his shit to 'em, and hand deliver it. He's old as hell and has to be close to kicking the bucket.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#15]
They're most likely constantly told that the rest of the world is far worse and that the working class in capitalist countries get much less than they do. In fact, they should be grateful that Dear Leader has provided them with such a wondrous worker's paradise to live in.

How many of those people doubt their government's propaganda? 60 years of continuous lies and total control has got to leave a mark.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Can't we just give them Carter instead and keep the food for us?  You know, that ol' "kill two birds with one stone" thingy .........
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The NK issue is a lot easier to address by occasionally throwing some food over the fence and otherwise ignoring it. A collapsed North Korea is something that the international community doesn't want to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

the big international worry is that NK will lash out militarily for resources rather than starve.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Quoted:

The NK issue is a lot easier to address by occasionally throwing some food over the fence and otherwise ignoring it. A collapsed North Korea is something that the international community doesn't want to deal with.

I know, but its like pulling a bandaid. Best to just do it fast rather than drag it out while doing it slowly. Imagine if North Korea was forced to collapse a decade ago. The South Koreans and North Koreans would be learning how to come together as one by now. Even if it was far more destructive and costly than the war on terror it would be worth it. Heck it could have even helped heal the wounds between the Japanese and the Koreans if the Japanese helped fight the North Koreans and helped rebuild.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#22]
An army can't go far on an empty stomach.   Everybody knows this.

As things stand now, send them a crate of food and they'll eat all the food and the crate, too.

CJ

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Seems they've got millions to spend on nuclear, bio and chemical weapons research and the missles to deliver them.   But can't afford rice for their people?    We need to quit enabling that crime against humanity.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the big international worry is that NK will lash out militarily for resources rather than starve.

Fewer to feed.

WIN!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#27]
My dog has similar food preferences
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fewer to feed.

WIN!!

and a lot fewer people in South Korea too.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They're most likely constantly told that the rest of the world is far worse and that the working class in capitalist countries get much less than they do. In fact, they should be grateful that Dear Leader has provided them with such a wondrous worker's paradise to live in.

How many of those people doubt their government's propaganda? 60 years of continuous lies and total control has got to leave a mark.

There is a woman here who escaped as a child.  I would love to hear her thoughts about this, but I can't remember her user name.  Fem-something or other.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a woman here who escaped as a child.  I would love to hear her thoughts about this, but I can't remember her user name.  Fem-something or other.

I don't think she has posted in quite awhile.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Will Jimmy Carter ever die? What is he, 138?
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This^

End this charade.  It is only drawing-out the misery.

agreed.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My dog has similar food preferences

Hmm - Maybe you're on to something...

Question for the vets in the house: How much supplemental nutrition does eating kitty poo or licking your own privates provide?
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I am conflicted over this.

Sincerely, I doubt that those at the top are going hungry, at all.  Most likely they get regular shipments of 'comfort items' from out of the country.  The only ones who suffer are the farmers in the field, the factory workers, etc., who have no power.  The army gets fed, especially when we send anything to them as it goes there first, then out to the families of those in the army (whether the Dear Leader condones this or not, I know what I would do to feed my family).

But it does trickle down.

The rational side says to let them burn, as the wound will continue to fester as it has for almost 60 years.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I am conflicted over this.

Sincerely, I doubt that those at the top are going hungry, at all.  Most likely they get regular shipments of 'comfort items' from out of the country.  The only ones who suffer are the farmers in the field, the factory workers, etc., who have no power.  The army gets fed, especially when we send anything to them as it goes there first, then out to the families of those in the army (whether the Dear Leader condones this or not, I know what I would do to feed my family).

But it does trickle down.

The rational side says to let them burn, as the wound will continue to fester as it has for almost 60 years.

One article I saw a few days ago said the army was starving too. Also talked about the SKoreans are a head taller than the NKoreans

Of course, Kim Jong II spends $650000+ a year on Hennessey

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Fuck North Korea.

Let China fix their fucking problem.

Fuck China.

FUBO.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Now they can make more Soylent Yellow!  

"This is all mine, right?  RIGHT?"

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screw that. They are in China's back yard, let the Chicom's bail them out and install a friendly government to retain them as a buffer from the West.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Now they can make more Soylent Yellow! http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/songunblog/leaderfood.jpg

Is that last one a gigantic bowl of battered Cocks?

I bet that is Kim's favourite dish.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

FIFY

Screw them.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Shut the fuck up, Jimmy.

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 12:19:11 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Shut the fuck up, Jimmy.

My name is not Jimmy...

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Every time this happens they rattle their sword and extort the rest of the world into giving them food. What's frightening to me is the possibility that one day they'll rattle their sword and start WWIII by accident.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 12:23:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Jimmy Carter really needs to learn when to stfu.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 1:54:57 AM EDT
[#46]

One article I saw a few days ago said the army was starving too. Also talked about the SKoreans are a head taller than the NKoreans

Of course, Kim Jong II spends $650000+ a year on Hennessey

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 2:02:55 AM EDT
[#47]

Nothing like propping up the people that want to destroy you.

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 2:09:37 AM EDT
[#48]
If I ever was in the same room as Kim Jong Il, just me and him.... handcuffed.

I'd savagely beat him. I'd make his last moments in life, so bad... that he would BEG for the sweet release of death.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 2:11:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Cool, let the EU pay for it.  Oh yea, fuck Carter/Obama.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 2:19:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top