Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2011 8:45:55 AM EDT
I was in Maryland visiting my bro and there was an old antique engine show going on. I thought I would share.

These are really beautiful works of art from days of old. And they all run.

This is the only know running condition 21th Century in the world. It was covered under a tarp but the owner saw I was interested and offered to start it up.
He is the fellow in the background with the beard. Very nice man.

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool thread. Thanks for posting the pics.

These threads make me tempted to take on an old engine as a hobby project. They're very cool.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I try to attend at least one Florida Flywheelers show every year. Pretty much guarantee an annual trip over to Zolfo Springs for the show there. I love that old iron especially seeing how fare we've come over the years. Those old Fairbanks-Morse diesels making 23hp and as big as a room are cool and the hit and miss engines are neat to watch operate.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Where in MD? This weekend?
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where in MD? This weekend?

I was in the Solomon Islands at the boat museum. It was in April though.

EBR666

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#5]
OSHA does not approve.

Cool pics, got more?
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The MEN who designed and manufactured those early engines must have had some incredible mechanical skills.

The MEN who rebuild and maintain them are a dying breed on this planet. Those advanced mechanical skills are long gone, especially in America.

Old motors and the old tractors are just about my favorite exhibits and the local fairs.

Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#7]
LOL, WHEN were the pictures taken?
It was 103F here yesterday, and 100+ last week.
Hasn't been "sweater weather" as in the pics, in 3+ months!

I usually hit a few shows a year. My favorite is the steam powered skiff.
Burns kindling. Even has a steam whistle!

Get a bunch of guys come up from Lousiana every year with all their old stuff.
Favorite is the old, flathead powered, pirogue on steroids!

Thanks for sharing!

ETA:

Oops, guess I should have read all the way thru!

I was there at that show too, Calvert Marine Museum, working one of the booths.

Patuxent River Appreciation Day is held there in October, and is usually a good show too!

Plus PLENTY for the kids to do, while you gawk at old iron!

And FREE!
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I try to attend the Lincoln County Thresher show every other year.  Lots of old tractors and farm equipment and LOTS of old engines running.  They even have a huge old steam engine that runs a merry go round for the kids.  The engine is so big that they built a barn to house it!
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#9]

only thing i have left is this picture, i had to move and no room for my toys.
I didnt' have anything super rare, but all were rare because of the age. neatest one is the old Briggs in front of the IHC. it has an external exhaust pushrod for the valve. i think it's around 1920 or so.

also had a JD 1 1/2 hp E, and couple others. another one i liked was my Maytag engine.
Damn, i miss my engines
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm suprised they weren't stripped when the owner's backs were turned. Lot's of brass and copper in them puppies.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Love those old machines...

If I ever have more money then sense, I would buy a Case steam tractor just because. Also have to have a John Deere Hit-n-miss engine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#12]
At a Sawmill Festival.

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Beautiful pieces of machinery, gotta love the brass and copper Thanks for the pictures
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice, I sure admire old technology.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice!

I have a small hobby steam engine I fire up once and a while.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#16]
http://youtu.be/LddGAWrqZ3E
I think you might enjoy this
And this
http://youtu.be/0rBR9kPlpBE
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#17]
My bro-in-law has an engine that looks alot like the green one in a barn on the land he rents. I have been considering giving his land lord a call to see what he would want for it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I try to attend at least one Florida Flywheelers show every year. Pretty much guarantee an annual trip over to Zolfo Springs for the show there. I love that old iron especially seeing how fare we've come over the years. Those old Fairbanks-Morse diesels making 23hp and as big as a room are cool and the hit and miss engines are neat to watch operate.

I try to hit the Zolfo show also. The Caladium Fest is coming up in Lake Placid, the fly wheelers come out for that also.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I used to belong to a club in WV. I had an old Hercules. I was cranking it one time, trying to get it to start and the crank caught and swung around and whacked me square in the nuts. I didn't walk right for days.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#20]

My Dad used to love those engines. He could stand there and watch them run for hours.

Thanks for bringing back some good memories, OP.

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OSHA does not approve.

Cool pics, got more?

You asked and you shall receive!

I was short on time on the op so these are the best of the rest.

These show more detail of the fine machinery.

This is a pic of the very nice man who fired up the 20th century for me. He was one fine gentleman who wanted to show me every thing about the engine. I only wish I had written his name down.

EBR666

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:11:27 AM EDT
[#22]
That is good stuff.
I would love to find one to rebuild. Unfortunately around here they were sent st the scrap yard long ago.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:14:20 AM EDT
[#23]
You know Jay Leno is a tool but one thing about him that I admire is that he is totally into old tech. He has a huge, and way cool shop for all his toys and it all runs on steam engines that run belts and pulleys that drive and power everything, and it is totally off grid as far as power supply goes. Really really neat stuff. He'd be totally into this.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I love looking at those old marine inboards.  There are a couple small ones on display at the Army Corps of Engineers museum in Duluth MN.
Like this old Kahlenberg diesel.... all 70 hp.

I also have a thing for old huge industrial engines like these.

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I went to the Thresher's reunion for the first time this year (July 4th weekend).  

I was amazed.  They had all kinds of things there from old "Hit and Miss" engines to a belt driven Machine shop.  They also had a steam powered sawmill, rock crusher, woodsplitter, shingle (Cedar wood shake) maker, mule and tractor competitions, actual working HUGE steamshovel and drag bucket.  They have a steam powered train that encircles the whole show and campgrounds.

Denton Farm Park

I'll DEFINITELY go back again next year.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#26]
We go to this one every year. It is a a good way to spend a day walking around looking at all the old stuff.

Dodge County Antique Power Show

Friday, August 5 from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Cost: $5.00
Phone: (920) 319-1773
For more Information: www.dcapc.org
43rd Annual Dodge County Antique Power Show

8:00 AM - 5:00 PM; 1/2 mile west of Highway 26 on County B (1/2 mile south of village of Burnett) 6505 Cty Hwy B, Burnett. Rain or Shine

Host Organization: Dodge County Antique Power Club, Inc, 920-689-2636
www.dcapc.org

Price: $5.00 for everyone over 12 years old.

Featuring Case Tractors and equipment, also sideshaft engines of all types. Steam engines; antique tractors, gas engines, cars, trucks, threshing, plowing, sawmill, shingle mill and corn shredder; model trains, blacksmith shop, flea market, crafts, farm toys, food and refreshments.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I love looking at those old marine inboards.  There are a couple small ones on display at the Army Corps of Engineers museum in Duluth MN.
Like this old Kahlenberg diesel.... all 70 hp.

those Kahlenberg's were all built from a common jug, you could get them in 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 cylinder models...

ps:
now you may say that the 4 cylinder setup in your photo only makes 70 HP but that's at about 400 RPM, giving about 900 ft-lbs of torque.  compare that to a modern muscle car V8.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#28]
My Dad is at the Little Log House show in Hastings Mn this weekend.

He has a collection of hand crank grinders and some scales.

I took my kids up there yesterday and spent the day with him and looking at all the old tech.
Then, from out of nowhere, the Wehrmacht invaded!!!!!

Our boys were there to repel the invaders

Airsoft .50
I could have spent lots more time snapping more pictures but I spent alot of the day hanging out with my Dad while Mom was walking around with my kids.

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I like the old engines.  If you are interested there is a show next weekend here in Wisconsin.
The 2011 Dodge County Antique Power Club Show, being held on the club grounds at Burnett Corners on Aug. 5, 6 and 7, will feature odd ball or orphaned tractors and machinery, associated engines.
This is a great show with steam power stuff as well.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Very. Very. Cool.

Thanks for the pictures guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top