Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2011 5:05:55 PM EDT
A Marine should be sworn to the patient endurance of hardships, like the ancient knights; and it is not the least of these necessary hardships to have to serve with sailors.
Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery

Jim

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Marine (military), a member of the military in an infantry or amphibious force under the authority of a navy, or in several cases, of an independent amphibious force
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Marine (military), a member of the military in an infantry or amphibious force under the authority of a navy, or in several cases, of an independent amphibious force

Uh, yeah, I already knew that. The quote did not speak of navies, it was about serving with sailors. Reading, its fundamental. It was also a little fun poking. Google humor.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Marine brat here , army vet.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#4]
". if you will send me by hook or crook, thirty Marines I shall be your debtor."

Admiral Porter to Commandant Harris 1863

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh, Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery: Not my favorite British Officer.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
". if you will send me by hook or crook, thirty Marines I shall be your debtor."

Admiral Porter to Commandant Harris 1863

Thats good! I never saw it before. thanks.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#7]
"A ship without MARINES is like a garment without buttons." ADM. DAVID PORTER, USN

Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.
RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995

I love this OORAH shit. Semper Fi brothers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#8]
First of foot and right of line.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#10]
"No better friend, no worse enemy"
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#11]
"I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front,

and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world."

- General Douglas MacArthur, US Army, outskirts of Seoul, 21 September 1950.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.

One of my favorite quotes. (And I'm a Navy Veteran)
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#13]
This is my absolute favorite. Only closet homos will take it the wrong way and only Marines and the truly elite will will really understand it.

The wonderful love of a beautiful maid,
The love of a staunch true man,
The love of a baby, unafraid,
Have existed since time began.

But the greatest of loves, The quintessence of loves.
even greater than that of a mother,
Is the tender, passionate, infinite love,
of one drunken Marine for another.

"Semper Fidelis"

General Louis H. Wilson
Commandant of the Marine Corps

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#14]
KILL!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Seriously?  I never heard that one!

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#16]
"Send us more Japs!"
Commander Winfield S. Cunningham USMC , Wake Island 1941.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#17]
bump
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#18]
The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. Lord, how they could fight!

MGen. Frank E. Lowe, USA; Korea, 26 January 1952

Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army.

Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War;

shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered

to not wear their khaki leggings.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#19]
The Marines, The Marines, those blasted gyrenes,

Those seagoing bellhops, those brass-button queens,

Oh! They pat their own back, write stories in reams,

All in praise of themselves the U.S. Marines!

The Marines, The Marines, those publicity friends,

They build all the forests, turned on all the streams,

Discontented with the earth, they say Heaven’s scenes

Are guarded by-you guess! Right! U.S. Marines.

The moon never beams, except when the Marines

Gives it permission to turn on its gleams.

And the tides never rises, The wind never screams

Unless authorized by the U.S. Marines.

The Marines, The Marines, in their khakis and greens,

Their pretty blue panties, red stripes down their seams,

They thought all the thoughts, dreamed all the dreams;

Singing, "The Song of Myself”- The U.S. Marines

They grab all the gravy away from the Navy,

All they leave the poor sailors is beans.

The Army gripes likewise ‘bout those Leatherneck guys

‘Cause they all wish that they were Marines.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Not a Marine but I worked with you guys for damn near 20 years so here's one:

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Blood makes the grass grow
Marines make the blood flow
Ooh rah!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:22:02 AM EDT
[#22]
"It's a funny thing, but, as years go by, I think you appreciate more and more what a great thing it was to be a United States Marine... People will tell me what a shame it was I had to go back into the service a second time, but I'm kinda glad I did. Besides, I am a U.S. Marine and I'll be one till I die." Ted Williams

"The man who will go where his colors go without asking, who will fight a phantom foe in a jungle or a mountain range, and who will suffer and die; in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to democratic America. He is the stuff of which legends are made. His pride is his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face, and his obedience is to his orders. As a legionnaire, he held the gates of civilization for the classical world...today he is called United States Marine."

LTCOL FEHRENBACH, USA, in "This Kind of War"
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:32:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Let's just see what Army leadership has to say about Marines.

"I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world."–– General Douglas MacArthur

"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can; they are all the same kind of men... why can't they be like Marines?"––General John J. Pershing, 12 Feb 1918  

“We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?”  General John Vessey, referring to Grenada
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:34:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Let's just see what Army leadership has to say about Marines.

"I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world."–– General Douglas MacArthur

"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can; they are all the same kind of men... why can't they be like Marines?"––General John J. Pershing, 12 Feb 1918  

“We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?”  General John Vessey, referring to Grenada

"I can't say enough about the two Marine divisions. If I use words like brilliant, it would really be an under-description of the absolutely superb job they did in breaching the so-called impenetrable barrier. . .Absolutely superb operation, a textbook, and I think it'll be studied for many, many years to come as the way to do it." (General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, USA, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 27 February 1991.)

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#25]
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

They told (us) to open up the Embassy, or "we'll blow you away." And

then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with these

really big guns, and they said in Somali, "Igaralli ahow," which

means "Excuse me, I didn't mean it, my mistake." [Karen Aquilar, in

the U.S. Embassy; Mogadishu, Somalia, 1991]

On board the GANGES, about 12 mos. ago, Lt. Gale, was struck by an Officer of the Navy, the Capt. took no notice of the Business and Gale got no satisfaction on the Cruise; the moment he arrived he call’d the Lieut. out and shot him; afterwards Politeness was restor’d”

—Signed "Yr obdt. Svt, W. W. Burrows, LtCol Comdt, MC” (2d CMC)

The Marines…will never disappoint the most sanguine expectations of their country—never! I have never known one who would not readily advance in battle.

—Capt C. W. Morgan, USN in a letter to Brevet BGen Archibald Henderson, (5th CMC) 1852

If the Marines are abolished half the efficiency of the Navy will be destroyed. They are as necessary to the well being of a ship as the officers. Instead of decreasing the Corps, I would rather hope to see a large increase, for we feel the want of Marines very much.

—RAdm David D. Porter in letter to Col Commandant John Harris, 6th CMC, 6 Dec. 1863

Throughout my professional life, I have looked upon the Corps as a most valuable part of our naval organization, and this opinion has only been the more confirmed by every year’s additional experience in active service.

—RAdm S. F. DuPont in letter to Col Commandant John Harris, 6th CMC, 29 Dec. 1863

On board the new Ironsides, I had the Marine guard stationed at the after gun, thirty-five in number, and I think it was conceded that no gun of that heavy battery was worked more efficiently than the "Marine gun” as it was called.

—Cmdr T. Turner in letter to Col Commandant John Harris, 6th CMC, 29 Dec. 1863

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:41:24 AM EDT
[#26]
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em"
Lt. Gen. Puller   1962
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:55:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Marines have a cynical approach to war. They believe in three things; liberty, payday and that when two Marines are together in a fight, one is being wasted. Being a minority group militarily, they are proud and sensitive in their dealings with other military organizations. A Marine’s concept of a perfect battle is to have other Marines on the right and left flanks, Marine aircraft overhead and Marine artillery and naval gunfire backing them up.

—War correspondent Ernie Pyle, killed on Ie Shima, Ryukyu Archipelago, 1945

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.

—LtGen A. A. Vandegrift, 18th CMC: To the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946 regarding U.S. Army proposals for the abolition of the Marine Corps.

Panic sweeps my men when they are facing the American Marines.

—captured North Korean major

Ten thousand gobs laid down their swabs to fight one lone Marine.

Ten thousand more stood by and swore, T’was the damndest fight they ever had seen.

—Unknown

They say "you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.” In the Marine Corps, you can make that horse wish to hell he had.

—Sgt Fred Larson,

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Awesome thread is awesome.

Sig line.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#30]
I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold.

—Marine 2dLt Clifton B. Cates, 96th Co., 19 July 1918, 1045 a.m., from records of the U.S. 2d Division (Regular)

What shall I say of the gallantry with which these Marines have fought! Of the slopes of Hill 142; of the Mares Farm; of the Bois de Belleau and the Village of Bouresches stained with their blood, and not only taken away from the Germans in the full tide of their advance against the French, but held by my boys against counter attacks day after day and night after night. I cannot write of their splendid gallantry without tears coming to my eyes.

—MajGen James G. Harbord, USA, in his book, "Leaves from a War Diary”

I can never again see a United States Marine without experiencing a feeling of reverence.

—MajGen Johnson Hagood, USA

…Since 1775 the United States Marines have upheld a fine tradition of service to their country. They are doing so today. I am confident they will continue to do so.

—President Franklin D. Roosevelt in a letter to Gen Thomas Holcomb, 17th CMC, 1942, 167th anniversary

We’re not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. It’s destructive to morale.

—LtGen H. M. "Howlin’ Mad” Smith, Iwo Jima, 1945, quoted to Walter Karig

Casualties many; percentage of dead not known; combat efficiency: we are winning!

— Col David M. Shoup, USMC on Tarawa, 23 Nov. 1943, in a radio message to MajGen Julian Smith, CG, 2dMarDiv, aboard USS Maryland (BB-46)

The Marines were always in the advance and how well they performed their part I leave to you to judge. To Captain Tilton and his Marines belongs the honor of first landing and last leaving the shore, in leading the advance on the march, in entering the forts, and in acting as skirmishers.

—Cmdr L.A. Kimberly of the Flagship Colorado in reporting on the battalion of Marines who landed in Korea, to RAdm John Rodgers CiC of the Asiatic Fleet, 1871

To our Marines fell the most difficult and dangerous portion of the defense by reason of our proximity to the great city wall and the main city gate…The Marine acquitted themselves nobly.

—U. S. Foreign Minister Edwin H. Conger, Peking, Boxer Rebellion, 1900

And once by God, I was a Marine!

—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I cant believe no one posted these ones yet,

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I cant believe no one posted these ones yet,

Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

I can't believe you didn't read the thread. Both were previously posted.

S/F
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I entirely approve the measures proposed by you in relation to the Marines who are lately captives in Tripoli. Therefore execute them.

—A letter from Secretary of the Navy Robert Smith to Col Commandant Franklin Wharton (3d CMC) on 21 Sept. 1805. Smith told Wharton to carry out certain measures proposed earlier.

(Ron Paul would not approve )

The people of creed and class,

Of every country and clime

Have paid their respects to the Stars and Stripes

At one or another time;

At times they raise trouble among themselves,

And some one must intervene

Then the best man to send, so the President says

Is a United States Marine.

—Pvt C. Hundertmark, "Recruiter’s Bulletin,” April 1915

I am inclined to think there is no military body in our country of higher efficiency than the Marine Corps. Of course their problems are simpler than ours. Their esprit de corps is very high; they take great pride in their professionalism. They never let things slack a bit.

—RAdm C. M. Winslow, before the House Committee on Naval Affairs in 1916

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!

—General John J. "Black Jack” Pershing, USA

"There were Northwesterners with straw-colored hair … and delicately spoken chaps with the stamp of the Eastern universities on them. There were large-boned fellows from Pacific-coast lumber camps, and tall, lean Southerners who swore amazingly in gentle, drawling voices. There were husky farmers from the corn-belt, and youngsters who had sprung, as it were, to arms from the necktie counter. And there were also a number of diverse people who ran curiously to type, with drilled shoulders and a bone-deep sunburn, and a tolerant scorn of nearly everything on earth. …

"They were the Leathernecks … the old breed of American regular, regarding the service as home and war as an occupation; and they transmitted their temper and character and view-point into the high-hearted volunteer mass which filled the ranks of the Marine Brigade.

"There is nothing particularly glorious about sweaty fellows, laden with killing tools, going along to fight. And yet—such a column represents a great deal more than 28,000 individuals mustered into a division. All that is behind those men is in that column, too: the old battles, long forgotten, that secured our nation … traditions of things endured and things accomplished, such as regiments hand down forever … and that abstract thing called patriotism, which I never heard combat soldiers mention—all this passes into the forward zone, to the point of contact, where war is girt with horrors. And common men endure these horrors and overcome them, along with the insistent yearnings of the belly and the reasonable promptings of fear; and in this, I think, is glory.”

—Capt John W. Thomason Jr.: "Fix Bayonets,” 1926, on Marines during WW I

…let men express the intense admiration, which I share with all other Americans, of the record made by the Marines.

—Theodore Roosevelt, 17 Oct. 1918

…We are intensely proud of their noble record and are glad to have had the whole world see how irresistible they are in their might when a cause which America holds dear is at stake. The whole nation has reason to be proud of them.

—President Woodrow Wilson to MajGen George Barnett, 12th CMC, 14 Aug. 1919

Any officer can get by on his sergeants. To be a sergeant you have to know your stuff. I’d rather be an outstanding sergeant than just another officer.

—SgtMaj Daniel Daly 1873-1937

A compliance with the minutiae of military courtesy is a mark of well-disciplined troops.

—MajGen John A. Lejeune, 13th CMC: Letter to all officers of the Corps, 1919

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#35]
The Marines have landed and the situation is well in hand.

Attributed to Richard Harding Davis (1864-1916)

I am convinced that there is no smarter, handier, or more adaptable body of troops in the world.

Prime Minister of Britain, Sir Winston Churchhill

By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue.

Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, U.S. Navy

This was the first time that the Marines of the two nations had fought side by side since thedefence of the Peking Legations in 1900. Let it be said that the admiration of all ranks of 41 Commando for their brothers in arms was and is unbounded. They fought like tigers and their morale and esprit de corps is second to none.

Lt Col. D.B. Drysdale, Commanding

41 Commando, Chosen Reservoir, on the 1st Marine Division Division
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

This was the first time that the Marines of the two nations had fought side by side since thedefence of the Peking Legations in 1900. Let it be said that the admiration of all ranks of 41 Commando for their brothers in arms was and is unbounded. They fought like tigers and their morale and esprit de corps is second to none.

Lt Col. D.B. Drysdale, Commanding

41 Commando, Chosen Reservoir, on the 1st Marine Division Division

"…And St. David.”

—During the Boxer Rebellion, the Marines were brigaded with the Royal Welch Fusiliers (23d Regiment of Foot). Since then on St. David’s Day (1 March), the CMC and Colonel of Fusiliers exchange by dispatch the traditional watchword of Wales.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Meh, Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery: Not my favorite British Officer.

still a good quote!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#38]
I had always enjoyed the title of Commander-in-Chief until I was informed … that the only forces that cannot be transferred from Washington without my express permission are the members of the Marine Corps Band. Those are the only forces I have. I want it announced that we propose to hold the White House against all odds at least for some time to come.

—President John F. Kennedy, 12 July 1962 during a visit to Marine Barracks, to determine whether President Thomas Jefferson’s desire that a barracks be established "within easy marching distance of Washington” had been properly carried out.

It’s not ‘fire then maneuver.’ It’s not ‘fire or maneuver.’ It’s ‘fire and maneuver.’ You move and shoot in this battalion.

—LtCol William Drumright, Republic of Vietnam, 1969 on offensive tactics

Wake up, lieutenant. We have the enemy near the hill. When they get closer, we are going to kill them. You need to see this.

—SSgt Smotherman, RVN, 1969, on defensive tactics

The five dangerous things in the U.S. Marine Corps:

A private first class saying, "I learned this in boot camp…”

A sergeant saying, "trust me, Sir…”

A second lieutenant saying, "Based on my experience…”

A gunny chuckling, "Watch this s***…”

An A-6 pilot who thinks he’s a real Marine!

—Larry Leighton

People criticizing the Marines are like the skinny guy trying to kick sand on the muscle guy in a Charles Atlas advertisement.

— Gen Louis Wilson, 26th CMC,  Norfolk, Va., 1975, on public relations

The next time I see a Marine in PT gear in the PX, I’m going to wrap him around the neck of the nearest lieutenant or lieutenant colonel.

—BGen John Hopkins, Camp Lejeune, N.C., 1986, on setting the example

We are United States Marines, and for two and a quarter centuries we have defined the standards of courage, esprit, and military prowess.

—Gen James L. Jones, 32nd CMC, 10 Nov. 2000

Here’s to the drunken Marine

With beer in his canteen!

You’ve heard of the Unknown Soldier

But, never an unknown Marine!

—An old toast oft repeated by Col John Ripley, Navy Cross
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#39]
"Fuck this shit." - every LCpl.

Ever.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This quote causes a physiological reaction in me every time I see.

Jane

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top