Link Posted: 10/15/2011 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#1]
pretty cools pics
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Very cool pics. Thanks for sharing OP.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Google "Truk Lagoon" photos...mind-blowing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Grap the gas cylinders off those babies for they are stainless steel!  Wonder if there are any gas traps there?
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Very cool history right there.  Who knows, could have been a landing craft that went down, or like others posted, might have been stuff disposed of post war.  Either way, may those remains rest in peace.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Just boil them, eh?

Link Posted: 10/15/2011 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I found a .30 bullet diving off Oahu.

And congratulations on maintaining good trim and not looking like you have half a dive shop dangling off you.  Or fin walking across the bottom, or...  that is why I rarely do any open water diving.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That salt water and warm temps have probably turned them into nothing more than clumps of rust in the shape of a Garand.

Unlike my Glock 17

Link Posted: 10/15/2011 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#9]
What is the muzzle next to in the one picture?   With the straight line, it looks 'man made'.

I wonder what caused the one 'clean' spot on the buttstock.  It looks like the wood is still complete?  

Could something like this actually be in this shape after all these years if it had been on top of the sand, or did a storm bring stir it out of the bottom?
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
makes me wonder what the story is behind them.  

This. Methinks it's a sad one
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why are you not taking them home?
I would find them to be a fun project to clean up.

Japan has some tough gun laws. Dragging one of those back to shore would likely land him in Japanese jail and I hear that's not a fun place to be.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ATF is going to lock you up for blowing their japan gun walker scheme.

Link Posted: 10/15/2011 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#13]
man, awesome thread!

I have to admit, it's a little sad seeing those there, each one probably represents a man who lost his life taking taking that island

nonetheless, it must me a great privilege to even get to see them in person
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
man, awesome thread!

I have to admit, it's a little sad seeing those there, each one probably represents a man who lost his life taking taking that island

nonetheless, it must me a great privilege to even get to see them in person

Odds are just as good that it was surplus dumped after the war. The Philippines are covered by old US war material like that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool pics.  The leather sling intrigues me.  You'd think it would have disintegrated before now.  

I knew a retired USAF maintenance officer (Lt Col.) who had a gun shop in Clovis, NM.  He had an M1 Garand barreled action hanging on the wall behind his counter.  He found it buried under three feet of dirt in the forests of Germany where a significant battle had taken place.  It was rusted / fused together.  Couldn't make out the makers name, IIRC.  The only thing that wasn't rusted was the SS gas cylinder.  

He found quite a few MK II frags over there too.  He'd call EOD and they'd disarm them for him.  I guess RHIP applies here....
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Getting caught with a gun in Japan is not a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was learning to dive, one of the landmarks in the reef off the Sunabe seawall was an artillery shell on the bottom of the reef. I'd need to visit my parents' place to dig up those pictures.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool Dive!
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the idea that somewhere out there are Garands, just laying there.

Link Posted: 10/15/2011 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Seems like a fun weekend restoration project.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Very cool and sad at the same time.

Quoted:
First thought, whose were they

This.  Don't forget guys, good chances are some really good men died and these were probably their weapons.  Rest in peace.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#22]
meh, the sling looks like a repro.

could very well have been lost by GI's hastily tossed in the water when the landing craft got hit.  

Sadly I've read some stories with landing craft letting their troops out too early too afraid to go closer.    A lot of drownings in beach landings under fire.  Just making it ashore is an accomplishment.    One of the other landings, maybe Tarawa was a nasty one for drownings,  planning did a poor job and sent the waves in with insufficient water over the barrier reefs,  The landing craft let them out at the reefs and the short guys drowned or dumped their gear on the way in to survive.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#23]
What part of the island were you at when you found them if i may ask. I was there 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#24]
If I remember my history correctly, the Japanese commander of the island intentionally let the troop come ashore without incident. It was his plan to let the troops assemble in masses then open up on them from a deadly prepared defense with almost every area preregistred and covered with interlocking fields of fire! So probably not lost from an initial assaulting landing craft unless one just out right sank. Still a great find! I do love my Garands! Thanks for sharing and stay safe!
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Submit your photos here

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/

Fantastic site!!!! Have not been there in awhile but everyone should spend a little time there. Hands off policy for all UW military stuff is the norm for these divers. As it should be.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Say a prayer, it was most likely issued to a patriot that is no longer with us.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
meh, the sling looks like a repro.

could very well have been lost by GI's hastily tossed in the water when the landing craft got hit.  

Sadly I've read some stories with landing craft letting their troops out too early too afraid to go closer.    A lot of drownings in beach landings under fire.  Just making it ashore is an accomplishment.    One of the other landings, maybe Tarawa was a nasty one for drownings,  planning did a poor job and sent the waves in with insufficient water over the barrier reefs,  The landing craft let them out at the reefs and the short guys drowned or dumped their gear on the way in to survive.

My grandfather was at Tarawa and Okinawa. I believe he was a mechanic but he liked to drink whiskey and get in fights. Anyway, he got landing boat duty for both of those events. He never talked about it except small family gatherings and he probably talked about it a handful of times ever. Anyway he recalled having to kick marines out with his boot while under fire because he had to return to get more guys. Some of them drowned and them screaming for their mothers was something that he relived every night until his death.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#28]
A real boating accident. May be a first here
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Old school aqua bump?
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#30]
This reminds me of a battle site I went to in Korea. I found a mound of rust sticking out of the ground which turned out to be a 1919. Our weapons are all over the world I imagine.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What part of the island were you at when you found them if i may ask. I was there 20 years ago.

We were about 1200m of the cost of Torii Beach
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Seems like a fun weekend restoration project.

If I found something like that on the bottom of the ocean I'd be happy if I could just halt the destruction process. It would be neat to have one in as-found condition.
OP, with laws the way they are, the pictures are almost as good as keeping one. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#33]
NRA Good condition.  Bore a little frosty, stock needs some minor sanding.  A steal for $700.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A little elbow grease and they will be good as new. Can you send one to Old Painless?

Better throw in a little steel wool.

Not even reverse electrolysis could save those.

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#35]
My dad told me he bulldozed piles of Arisakas on Okinawa. Are you sure those are Garands? I can see by the stock that one is a Garand but can't tell what the others are.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
NRA Good condition.  Bore a little frosty, stock needs some minor sanding.  A steal for $700.

With highly desirable patina!
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My dad told me he bulldozed piles of Arisakas on Okinawa. Are you sure those are Garands? I can see by the stock that one is a Garand but can't tell what the others are.

The middle one with the sling is definitely a Garand, I'm pretty sure the left one is too. On the far end it looks like the rear sight is visible. If that's what I'm looking at, it's definitely a Garand rear sight.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Why would I do that, when I've been diving there before?

Yes, you're right –– it was pretty amazing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would I do that, when I've been diving there before?

Yes, you're right –– it was pretty amazing.

I jelly.

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#40]
My father did most of his active Naval career on riverboats in Vietnam.  However, he also served on a few aircraft carriers.  

One, I believe it was the Hornet (or else the Constellation) he was on at the end of its service.  They were basically bringing it back to California with a skeleton crew to mothball it.  Dad was in ordinance, and one day the Man In Charge tells him to do a full inventory and bring all the small arms to the deck.  

My father realized halfway through what was about to happen and said he felt almost sick to his stomach.  Sure enough - after inventory was complete, those classic WW2 era weapons all found a spot at the bottom of the Pacific.  1911s, Garands, Carbines, Thompsons and probably a few BARs and .30 cal Browning Machine guns too.  

I can't imagine what that all looked like going over the deck.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I know in Europe, after the war allot of the equipment was just dumped in lakes...Assume the same happened here.

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Very cool pics. Thanks for sharing OP.

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#43]
very cool pics, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Japan is not very gun friendly. I wonder what they would do if you got caught on the beach with those.  

Based on past precedent, it probably wouldn't be surrender.

Unlike France.

Lol. Garand toting American wades up on the beach at Okinawa.....65 years late.  

OMG! It's a plot for a zombie flic!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were about 1200m of the cost of Torii Beach

DUDE.....I was there 20 years ago.....I cant remember where I left my eye glasses last week let alone where Torii Beach was!!!!!!!!

what base was it near.....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top