Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/21/2011 7:56:40 PM EDT
Haters gonna hate for the new scenes and changes, but I don't care.

I made the jump from standard TV and DVD player to High Def and Blu ray, and this is the first blu ray I'm seeing. Gorgeous.

my only complaint is that when you open up the saga, they put them in numerical order, instead of 4,5, and 6 first.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Even regular DVD's look a lot better on a Blu-Ray player and a good HDTV than the old TV's.

Blu-Ray is awesome but I am not going to replace all my DVD's just a few of my favorites.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Haters gonna hate for the new scenes and changes, but I don't care.

I made the jump from standard TV and DVD player to High Def and Blu ray, and this is the first blu ray I'm seeing. Gorgeous.

my only complaint is that when you open up the saga, they put them in numerical order, instead of 4,5, and 6 first.

George Lucas is going to kick the bucket one day, and when he does, I'll be the first in line to order the original trilogy on Bluray, presented as God intended, without craptastic CGI enhancements.  Until then there is always Harmy's Despecialized Edition for those in the know.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Even regular DVD's look a lot better on a Blu-Ray player and a good HDTV than the old TV's.

Blu-Ray is awesome but I am not going to replace all my DVD's just a few of my favorites.

BigDozer66

I Agree, I popped in the new Tron to look at a few scenes and it was gorgeous.

I'm really tempted to get teh LOTR trilogy and the Jurassic Park one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the extra extra long directors cut LOTRs on Blu-ray. Absolutely stunning looking and sounding.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Question in Episode one when the guy with long hair and Obi One go as ammbassadors on the one ship and are met with the two destroys. They then run down the hall. When I was watching they ran what looked like light speed, I didn't remember them doing that, was that a change?
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Question in Episode one when the guy with long hair and Obi One go as ammbassadors on the one ship and are met with the two destroys. They then run down the hall. When I was watching they ran what looked like light speed, I didn't remember them doing that, was that a change?

Nope that was in the original one that came out in theaters.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Please let us know if it is true they made Luke's first lightsaber green.  That is all sorts of fucked up, almost on par with Greedo shooting at Han.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Its blue as of Episode IV when Obi Wan hands it to Luke.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck George Lucas.  Stupid added scenes.  Jacked up color timing.  CGI effects added that change the story.  He's an idiot.  Pure and simple.  

Despecialized Ed. ftw
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Noooooooooo!
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Good.  That means at least one internet rumor was false.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#16]

It does look nice on Blu-Ray.  This makes the 4th copy of the original trilogy I have.  I have it on VHS, the original DVD release, the "improved" DVD release, and now the Blu-Ray version.

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#17]
The scene were luke is practicing with the training orb is more white than any color, but I can see if some people perceive it as green. Blue in the end though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Han Shot first   is all i got ta say

maybe one day i will buy it in blu ray at 75% off the price tag
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Fuck George Lucas.  Stupid added scenes.  Jacked up color timing.  CGI
effects added that change the story.  He's an idiot.  Pure and simple.  

Quoted:

It does look nice on Blu-Ray.  This makes the 4th copy of the original trilogy I have.  I have it on VHS, the original DVD release, the "improved" DVD release, and now the Blu-Ray version.

That idiot sure is laughing all the way to the bank... and making several trips!

I'm just sayin'.

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Did they add any more Jar Jar scenes?  He's the best character ever.  Not annoying at all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Laser disc anyone?
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck George Lucas.  Stupid added scenes.  Jacked up color timing.  CGI effects added that change the story.  He's an idiot.  Pure and simple.  

Quoted:

That idiot sure is laughing all the way to the bank... and making several trips!

I'm just sayin'.

Well if i didn't give my money to Lucas, I'd probably just end up giving it to Taco Bell or Coke.  

And for the people talking about the colors not being right, they looked fine to me.  Disclamer:  i'm not one to rely on for color advise since I am technically color blind.

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#23]
hmmm
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Just finished Episode IV. I don't think a lot of people would notice the extra scenes. I watch each Star Wars 3-4 a year and a couple I had to question myself on.

Most of them are 1-2 second extensions of existing scenes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Noooooooooo!

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well if i didn't give my money to Lucas, I'd probably just end up giving it to Taco Bell or Coke.  

And for the people talking about the colors not being right, they looked fine to me.  Disclamer:  i'm not one to rely on for color advise since I am technically color blind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bustin' your chops for it or anything...

I'm just suggesting that whatever strategy he's employing seems to be working, and you were right there as proof.

Nothing wrong with re-buying your favorite stuff in different formats IMO.

I don't care for what he's done with the franchise, but I was never a big big fan of Star Wars to begin with.

The fans sure bitch a lot about it, but despite that the franchise seems to remain pretty profitable.

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#27]
The DVDs I already own is far as I can go. Bluray makes certain movies look amazing on my LED/LCD Aqous but GL has gone to far.

People think fans complaining about the changes is ridiculous but they don't understand. Han shooting first was part of what defined him as a  "scoundrel" and basically said that Han don't take $#!+.

Vader saying "No...Nooooooo" makes me wonder if GL thought we needed that scene explained to us. Vader looking back and fourth at the Emperor and Luke in silence was perfect. He was making a decision on what path he would continue down.

I believe the "deleted scene" of Luke making his lightsaber is something GL himself recently created. I forgot where I saw the video, but someone asked Mark Hamill about it and he said he never remembers making that scene.  There's more problems but its too much to write.

The prequels could of been a lot better but GL is a greedy bastard and wanted to make sure even little kids would want to go see it. He knew SW fans would go see them as well and then buy every single copy, in every format from day one.

GL is not getting another dime from me. I'm just going to have to cross my fingers and hope GL stays far far away from the Indiana Jones blurays, allowing Spielberg to do it all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The first and last time Force Run was used in a movie. It's common Force power in the video games and books.

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good.  That means at least one internet rumor was false.
It's not a rumor, just people getting facts mixed up. It was green in the 2004 DVD release (and later re-releases). The conversion and remastering to digital fucked up the lightsabers in all three movies. Luke's first saber became green momentarily in Ep 4, Vader's saber became pink in Empire and Jedi, and the sabers lost the white core in Jedi. If you watch the fight in Jedi between Luke and Vader, it looks like they're using giant dull glow sticks.

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The scene were luke is practicing with the training orb is more white than any color, but I can see if some people perceive it as green. Blue in the end though.

That's how I remember it since at least the Special Edition. I havent seen the theatrical VHS since I was 8.

They couldn't get the saber effect perfect in 1977. They did a good job for a first try though. In some scenes, Luke's saber is more bluish-green than Obi-Wan's dark blue saber. In the training orb scene, Luke's saber was almost entirely white.

Obi-Wan's saber looked terrible during his fight with Vader. Did they fix that? What about the blood from the alien's arm that Obi-Wan cut off in the cantina? It's the only time a saber wound has been shown with blood.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I still dig the VHS version.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#32]
For the 87th time, Han did not shoot first.  Han was the only one to get a shot off.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Han was the only one to get a shot off.

Because he shot first.

Have anymore "easter eggs" been found? The only one I know of is the animated short from the Holiday Special.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

For the 87th time, Han did not shoot first. Han was the only one to get a shot off.

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
For the 87th time, Han did not shoot first. Han was the only one to get a shot off.

I've been saying this for a long time.  I see it's gaining traction!
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#36]
I will never buy a set that forces me to buy Episode 1.  There are no redeeming qualities to that movie –– none!

Maybe someday there will be an "unedited" Blu-Ray release, with individual movies being sold so that you don't have to buy the entire Ep 1-6 pack.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Did he replace the laser on the Death Star with a walkie-talkie?
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Screw you and your bluray.
Han shot first.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 8:17:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Did he replace the laser on the Death Star with a walkie-talkie?

Greedo throws a walkie-talkie at Han, Han catches it, uses it to call the authorities, and Greedo is arrested by stormtroopers.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I will never buy a set that forces me to buy Episode 1.  There are no redeeming qualities to that movie –– none!

Maybe someday there will be an "unedited" Blu-Ray release, with individual movies being sold so that you don't have to buy the entire Ep 1-6 pack.

I've seen 1-3 and 4-6 packs...
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#41]
I bought the complete saga because we never owned episode 1 and lost our episode 3 discs. Worth it, though I'm guessing we'll only watch episode 1 once.

Episode V tonight.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And for the people talking about the colors not being right, they looked fine to me. Disclamer: i'm not one to rely on for color advise since I am technically color blind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bustin' your chops for it or anything...

I'm just suggesting that whatever strategy he's employing seems to be working, and you were right there as proof.

Nothing wrong with re-buying your favorite stuff in different formats IMO.

I don't care for what he's done with the franchise, but I was never a big big fan of Star Wars to begin with.

The fans sure bitch a lot about it, but despite that the franchise seems to remain pretty profitable.

Lucas has a hell of a business model.  Hell the way he runs the novels is pretty good too.  If someone wants to right a novel in the Star Wars universe, they have to be sure not to contradict any of the existing novels.  Its an amazing system to have so many novels right my so many different writers and still have the stories mess.

Lucas knows how to create demand for his movies.  Disney is another company that understands how to build up sales on their classic movies.  I've always admired how they like to use supply and demand principles to drive their sales.  They keep picking a movie to release as some new special edition and like to add that you should buy it now before they put it back in the vault for x number of years.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#43]
The source was never in HD so I wonder how good it really looks.

They can clean up an image as much as they want but if the source was never hi def.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They can clean up an image as much as they want but if the source was never hi def.

The source wasn't digital.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't the source 70mm?
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't the source 70mm?

No clue - but I also have no clue what it means to say a source was not "hi def" when it was analog.  I am confident it didn't have pixels, and thus pixel density terms should be meaningless.  It might be hard for young guys to believe, people were taking photographs and blowing them up to poster size 50-60 years ago, and projecting movies onto large screen with no pixilation as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't the source 70mm?

I believe so. There is PLENTY of resolution to fit on our puny 1080 sets.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

just because a source is digital doesnt mean it will get a good transfer to bluray.  there are plenty of reference quality blurays that come from film sources.  the problem with the SW movies is that Lucas cheaped out and used a 7 year old 2K scan for the blurays instead of doing an up to date 4K transfer.  as good as they look, they could look even better...

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't the source 70mm?

No clue - but I also have no clue what it means to say a source was not "hi def" when it was analog.  I am confident it didn't have pixels, and thus pixel density terms should be meaningless.  It might be hard for young guys to believe, people were taking photographs and blowing them up to poster size 50-60 years ago, and projecting movies onto large screen with no pixilation as well.

Blu-Ray has yet to even come close to Super Panavision 70.  One day, we'll see Lawrence of Arabia and 2001 as intended.

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't the source 70mm?

Blu-Ray has yet to even come close to Super Panavision 70.  One day, we'll see Lawrence of Arabia and 2001 as intended.  

Not at 1080p, we won't...  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top