Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2011 8:02:35 PM EDT
wouldn't mind a HK93 type rifle. Presently the only things offered are the Vector V93 and the Century C93.

From what I've read the Vector is pretty decent, but how does the Century stack up?

Is it like most Century products in that its pretty much a crap shoot?
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The one I looked at was pretty nice. I am going to purchase one in the next week or so.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
They are crap shoots. I bought one about a year ago. Looked great, good bolt gap. Would not cycle as a semiauto.

I sent it back to Century who pronounced it unfixable, and sent me a new rifle. (I suspect "unfixable" meant that it was not fixable for less than a certain dollar amount.) Anyway, the replacement rifle runs like a raped ape. I have ~450 rounds through it without a malfunction. Ammo was about half Wolf 55 grain JHP, the rest being Prvi Partizan M-193 and American Eagle XM-193.  I suggest running 5.56mm spec ammo through it for the first 100 - 200 rounds to break it in, then use Wolf if you're so inclined.

While obviously I would've preferred that the rifle I bought ran right out of the box, Century did make it right. I'm happy with the replacement.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Patriot ord firearms
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine ran fine right out of the box and the bolt gap is good. Runs fantastic on steel case ammo but mags can be a bit pricey. Someone was working on an AR mag adapter but I dont think it got past prototype stage. They are really really dirty out of the box. Not the best trigger in the world but it does not seem to hurt accuracy one bit. I have had mine about 2 yrs now and it has several thousand rounds thru it with no problems.  Thats about all I can think of for now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Sold quite a few

heard no complaints but did hear back from a few happy customers  that loved their rifles
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a Vector:

http://sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=245123

Supposedly higher quality than the Centuries...
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:55:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought one when they first came out a few years ago ($850 )

Gun store ordered 2, I bought 1 and it wouldn't run for anything, sent it back to Century who "fixed" it by not doing anything to it at all so I swapped it out for the other one in the store and it ran great.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:59:44 AM EDT
[#8]
yep it hurts to see the prices on them now I am in the same boat paid around 800 but as I said mine ran out of the box and I love it so that makes all the diffrence in the world. I would have loved to buy a real HK but I just dont have that kind of scratch lying around. I just got a new AR10 and that ran me around 1k and that took a loooooong time to save up.
BTW mag pouches are hard (impossible) to find for these if you are into gear/accessories. I found these at FMCO (antipersonnel.net) for 40 round AR mags and they fit 40 round HK mags like a glove.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 5:14:45 AM EDT
[#9]
this is mine right after I got it home from the FFL.  They used to come from century with two mags and the bayonet. Last one i saw at the funshow had the mags stripped off separate for $35 ea and no bayo
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 6:10:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I saw my smith test firing one of these at the range, he said that some ran fine out of the box and some didn't, but the ones that didn't were normally fine after tweaking and break in.  He felt it necessary to test fire every one he got in at the shop, so that tells you something.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#11]

I bought a c93 a few years back..I love it..
I did clean the crap out of it and put some atf and mobil one in the right spots.
It did fail to function when I first shot it but it just needed a good cleaning.
I have shot about 500 round without a hiccup..
It is also my wives favorite...she claims it if SHTF..

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#12]

I also switched out the lower to the one that looks more like the HK..
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 6:17:28 AM EDT
[#13]

I also only paid 500 bucks from centerfire systems...

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#14]
If you want a precision rifle or a riflr that holds tight groups, this isn't the rifle you want. If you are ok with a rifle that is able to consistently hit a mansized target at distance, plink at short distance. This rifle is great. I have one and also a PTR91. I like them both, I find them a pain in the ass to clean and the weak points is the extractor and extractor spring. I keep 10 of each for both rifles on hand, just in case. The biggest thing I dislike about the rifle is the rear sight, I find it hard to use because of my eyesight.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I spent $1100 on a Vector V93 because I wanted something better than a Century.
If you're curious, I've got a thread in the feedback forum about how that turned out.
When I decided to send the V93 back to Vector for repairs, I bought a Century C93 locally for $400.
The Century is straight, solid, and it's functioned 100% since I got it. Other than the lack of a paddle mag release and the lower grip housing being crap, I've been super happy with it. I clipped and pinned an SUO lower and it's WAY more comfortable.  
I've read that Century had at least 2 manufacturers making the C93s, and one may have built them better than the other. I don't know who made what, but I do know that some of them are painted and some are just parkerized, and some have a regular looking Navy style lower while some have the cheapy one with the finger grooves.

Magazines are kinda costly, the cheapest ones I've found are $22 or so and they're well used.
Also watch out for low bolt gap on the Century guns, mine is holding at .008 but that's with +4 rollers. That's acceptable but pretty low so I'll likely swap rollers to +6s soon. If it shrinks further I'll probably have to have a new barrel pressed in- that's something to consider when taking "The Century Gamble"- the gun will cost less than another brand, but may require more work in the long run.

I was planning to sell the C93 once my Vector gets back from repair, but after shooting it I think I'll be keeping both.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top