Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/23/2011 9:33:06 PM EDT
Or is that just for statues and idols and yotz?

What about paintings of God? Are those considered to be "graven images"?

What about Jesus?

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you're just not supposed to worship other gods
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]
It can't be an image of God, if you don't know what God looks like.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Read the Commandants.  He has no image.  We see what our human eyes visualize.  

It is how we react to images that matters.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope

In the bible God basically spells out how there are two different kinds of sins. Sins which are crimes and sins which are sins because they violate some principal or the healthy and correct nature of God. If you think about it. Drawing God would not be a crime and therefore not a sin. Drawing God would not inherently be unhealthy or something which is against his nature so that could not be a sin. You should be able to conclude that it is not a sin. Especially since no man has seen God. If a drawing is meant to attack and insult God then it would likely be a sin.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
OMG

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#6]

He just told me He's cool with it.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What about Jesus?

Who's god?

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What about Jesus?

Who's god?

It's Alanis Morissette, haven't you seen the movie?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Self portraits are fun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I have as much of a problem with people drawing God as I do if they drew any other imaginary being.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#11]
No

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think so, as long as it is not meant to mock God.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#13]
If you've seen the Jesus you've seen the Father. He is made in his image. The images that are forbidden were directly related to Baal, and statues that were being worshiped.

Exodus 20:4
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the eart

Exodus 32:8 They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf. They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it and have said, 'These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.'

Images and worship of other gods is forbidden. Also, even though you may make an image of God, it's not to be worshiped in and of itself, but used as a reminder to us and in an aid to bring ourselves closer to him. He is our Father, and just exactly like ourselves as parents, what he wants most is a relationship and love and respect from us, his children.

Philip said to Jesus, "Lord, show us the Father. That is all we need."
Jesus answered, "Philip, I have been with you for a long time. So you should know me. The person that has seen me has seen the Father too. So why do you say, 'Show us the Father'? Do you truly believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The things I have told you don't come from me. The Father lives in me, and he is doing his own work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or believe because of the miracles I have done." (ERV)   Full Text

We can't see God the Father because he exists in a different dimension, and we have to pass from our earthly bodies back into our spiritual state to see him.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#14]
nope
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I was always under the impression that we weren't supposed to embrace images of "God".  For example, a film that depicted God or Jesus was sinful.   At least, that's what I was taught in school.

It was a protestant school, so it would obviously be at odds with the Catholic Church.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What about Jesus?

Your talking about Mohamed or Allah.

Then some radical freaks cry out and hunt your ass down screaming "Off with the infidel pigs head".
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Why worry about hypotheticals when you have plenty of known sins to be concerned about.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I only acknowledge my god, MOOBY the GOLDEN CALF.

Bow before your god!

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#22]
How do you draw a picture of the invisible man?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I was always under the impression that we weren't supposed to embrace images of "God".  For example, a film that depicted God or Jesus was sinful.   At least, that's what I was taught in school.

It was a protestant school, so it would obviously be at odds with the Catholic Church.

Catholics and Protestants agree on a lot of things.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The same way Arfcom see's naked women.
Imagination.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you've seen the Jesus you've seen the Father. He is made in his image. The images that are forbidden were directly related to Baal, and statues that were being worshiped.

Exodus 20:4
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the eart

Exodus 32:8 They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf. They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it and have said, 'These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.'

Images and worship of other gods is forbidden. Also, even though you may make an image of God, it's not to be worshiped in and of itself, but used as a reminder to us and in an aid to bring ourselves closer to him. He is our Father, and just exactly like ourselves as parents, what he wants most is a relationship and love and respect from us, his children.

Didn't Aaron tell the people that the calf was Jehovah the God who brought them out of Egypt? And thousands of them died over it.

Edit: If it is an image of our God, shouldn't we be bound to worship it?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#26]
The idea that the human mind can conceive and draw a picture of "I Am That I Am" is complete folly.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Imagination.

Who needs imagination when you have the internet?

We have all the loving we need without leaving mama's basement.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Imagination.

Who needs imagination when you have the internet?

We have all the loving we need without leaving mama's basement.

Fair enough, no love like self love!

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#29]
If it was I guess Michelangelo and Pope Julius II are burning in Hell right now.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Uhhh....what?
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 1:13:00 AM EDT
[#31]
What if the pic you drew of God looked like Allah?  Or worse....if you labeled a pic of Allah as "God"

Is that like a double negative bringing an instant Fatwah down on whomever drew it?

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 1:13:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 1:37:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
When I arrived at the pearly gates, st. peter chastised me for using the lord's name in vain so frequently.  He said he was being generous even considering me for entry.  I asked him how many times I used the lord's name in vain.  He replied, 1,000,006.  A million six, I responded - Jesus Chri...

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:01:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:04:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He looks like Charlton Heston with a beard and long hair.

I dunno, he seems more like a Frank Zappa type, but with a better collection of sunglasses.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 5:15:30 AM EDT
[#36]

I'm going to hell, aren't I?  Thanks Aiden  
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 5:28:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes it is. It’s not an evil act, but it is a sin.

The word “god” is probably something of a misnomer in a way. The pagan gods were (supposedly) creations of this universe and bound to its laws. They were powerful beings but that’s all they really were.

The God of the Bible is an entirely different concept. God is the fundamental cause of all existence. God is the consciousness that wills all of existence into existence. The idea that this fundamental reason for the existence of the universe is also a personal force that knows us individually is a hard one for many people to grasp. So our minds try to imagine The God as just another powerful being, little different from the pagan gods.

And creating images of God just reinforces that idea. No harm may be intended but those images set up mental images that can prevent someone from understanding God the way he told us to understand him.

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 5:30:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
When I arrived at the pearly gates, st. peter chastised me for using the lord's name in vain so frequently.  He said he was being generous even considering me for entry.  I asked him how many times I used the lord's name in vain.  He replied, 1,000,006.  A million six, I responded - Jesus Chri...

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 5:30:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 5:31:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Oh...you've seen him/her?  Cool.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Is it a sin to draw pictures of Muhammad?  I do not revere him.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 5:38:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Is it a sin to draw pictures of Muhammad?  I do not revere him.

Only if you're on your knees 5 times a day facing Mecca.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 5:40:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He looks like Charlton Heston with a beard and long hair.

That was Moses, dumb ass, god looks like George Burns.

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#44]
I doubt it. Unless you're mocking him or drawing him in a gay brothel or something. Then you may be fucked.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 5:45:19 AM EDT
[#45]
So long as it's not doing something lame (ref: " Buddy Christ") I think it's fine. The Great Masters painted images of God.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 6:39:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The idea that the human mind can conceive and draw a picture of "I Am That I Am" is complete folly.

Huh?
Seems easy enough...

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Nope

In the bible God basically spells out how there are two different kinds of sins. Sins which are crimes and sins which are sins because they violate some principal or the healthy and correct nature of God. If you think about it. Drawing God would not be a crime and therefore not a sin. Drawing God would not inherently be unhealthy or something which is against his nature so that could not be a sin. You should be able to conclude that it is not a sin. Especially since no man has seen God. If a drawing is meant to attack and insult God then it would likely be a sin.

So basically you can determine yourself what's a sin and what's not?

Sounds like quite a convenient religion to me.

BTW: I obviously voted yes.

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

But it's OK if the church has all sorts of pictures, stained glass windows, statues, ans crucifixes all over it, right?
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

He said in his book that he created us in his image, so in reality, I guess it would be pretty easy to conceive and draw a picture of "I Am That I Am".

I think this was a pretty god try...(God is the one in pink):

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top