Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The acting was horrible.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Great movie!!
According to the Imd trivia, Sam Elliott (Buford) really got into it ..."Sam Elliott was so in character on the set that a production assistant was sent out ahead of him in between takes to warn the re-enactors being used as extras that he only responded to salutes and would address individuals by their rank"!
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone seen the Director's Cuts of the movies on BluRay?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine was in the movie. He is a reenactor. My great great grandfather fought for the Confederacy on Culp's Hill on the third day of the battle. I have a copy of his diary. I have been there many times and it is sobering experience. The old museum was quite good but the new version has received terrible reviews. As for the movie sheen as lee sucked.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As much as I am a Union man, it makes me grieve when I see the sensless slaughter of Pickett's charge. It's almost as though Lee was trying to throw the war to make such a bad and murderous decision.  Gettysburg is indeed hallowed ground.

Gettysburg is where Lee screwed up. It may be where he lost the war. He should have listened to Longstreet and withdrawn to defensible postions and let the union forces bleed out on the open ground. Still, it would have been interesting to see how it would have played out had Jackson been there.  Knowing him, he would have flanked the line and ended up attacking from the rear and changed the entire pitch of the battle.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#6]
My great grandfather was a private in G Company, 9th Virginia Infantry. He took part in Pickett's charge and was captured at the stone wall. He spent the rest of the war at Camp Delaware, on an island in the Delaware River near Wilmington. He was released on April 25, 1865 and walked home to Norfolk County, Va. where he died on September 5th of that same year due to typhoid fever that he caught in the prison camp.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:32:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The battle on Little Round Top always fascinated me, after watching the movie, and then seeing it in real life.  I wonder if the land during the battle was a forest like in the movie or wide open as it is today?  Always was curious.

Read Chamberlain's book.

Walking the ground gives an even greater appreciation for what happened there.

Greatest soldier either side.

He presided over the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia. Chamberlain's words and why he is so great:

"The momentous meaning of this occasion impressed me deeply. I resolved to mark it by some token of recognition, which could be no other than a salute of arms. Well aware of the responsibility assumed, and of the criticisms that would follow, as the sequel proved, nothing of that kind could move me in the least. The act could be defended, if needful, by the suggestion that such a salute was not to the cause for which the flag of the Confederacy stood, but to its going down before the flag of the Union. My main reason, however, was one for which I sought no authority nor asked forgiveness. Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;––was not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured?

Instructions had been given; and when the head of each division column comes opposite our group, our bugle sounds the signal and instantly our whole line from right to left, regiment by regiment in succession, gives the soldiers salutation, from the "order arms" to the old "carry"––the marching salute. Gordon at the head of the column, riding with heavy spirit and. downcast face, catches the sound of shifting arms, looks up, and, taking the meaning, wheels superbly, making with himself and his horse one uplifted figure, with profound salutation as he drops the point of his sword to the boot toe; then facing to his own command, gives word for his successive brigades to pass us with the same position of the manual,––honor answering honor. On our part not a sound of trumpet more, nor roll of drum; not a cheer, nor word nor whisper of vain-glorying, nor motion of man standing again at the order, but an awed stillness rather, and breath-holding, as if it were the passing of the dead!"
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:39:28 AM EDT
[#8]
"the darkies"

now that is period correct
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:25:14 AM EDT
[#9]
They were filming the movie when my wife and I honeymooned in Gettysburg and down the Blue Ridge Parkway. We ate dinner at the Farnsworth House Inn (still has bullet holes from the battle on the brick walls), and Tom Berrenger and Kevin Conway (the actor that played Sgt. 'Buster' Kilrain, Chamberlain's guy) were having dinner a couple tables over from us that night. Pretty cool experience seeing it done while we were there.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:33:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember seeing a cameo shot of Brian Pohanka - Civil War historian.

RIP Brian
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:55:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Out of 5 stars, I'd give it a 3.5 (tops).

It would be nice to see Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg tackle the Civil War as their next project for a HBO miniseries.
There is yet to be a Civil War movie that managed to capture the carnage of that war and show the horrors those boys went through.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 3:18:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I remember seeing a cameo shot of Brian Pohanka - Civil War historian.
RIP Brian

Really? I didn't know that.
I did spot Ted Turner and Ken Burns, though.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 3:31:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Out of 5 stars, I'd give it a 3.5 (tops).

It would be nice to see Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg tackle the Civil War as their next project for a HBO miniseries.

There is yet to be a Civil War movie that managed to capture the carnage of that war and show the horrors those boys went through.

sadly I'd would say that it would somehow become a love story.... Keep it a independent production. Most independent films are more realistic anyways.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 4:01:46 AM EDT
[#14]
The acting was horrible, but there are two parts I stood up and cheered for. The first was mentioned. The Chamberlain bayonett charge of the 20th Maine.

Battle of Little Round Top

The second was when Ted (Captain Planet) Turner bought it during Picketts charge. Ah, if only it were that way in real life!

Pickett's Charge

If you look closely, you can see Red Ted marching beside Armistead (Richard Jordan).
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:27:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As much as I am a Union man, it makes me grieve when I see the sensless slaughter of Pickett's charge. It's almost as though Lee was trying to throw the war to make such a bad and murderous decision.  Gettysburg is indeed hallowed ground.

Gettysburg is where Lee screwed up. It may be where he lost the war. He should have listened to Longstreet and withdrawn to defensible postions and let the union forces bleed out on the open ground. Still, it would have been interesting to see how it would have played out had Jackson been there.  Knowing him, he would have flanked the line and ended up attacking from the rear and changed the entire pitch of the battle.

My G3 Grandfather John J. Handley was in Company G, 44th Georgia Infantry.  The 44th mustered in 1862 with 1115 men.  350 were killed and 450 wounded throughout the war.  According to the various reports I have read, the Regiment had an unheard of low rate of desertion, with only 4 desertions throughout the war.

Recongizing hindsight is 20/20, I must agree.  General Lee gave the order to take the Round Tops on the first day "if practicable".  Had that been General Jackson receiving the order, it would have no doubt been taken, changing the course of the battle.  But Gen Ewell was not Jackson...and he delayed.  So in my mind, Gen Ewell shares some blame for the outcome.

Standing on the ground a couple months ago, obvioulsy with the benefit of hindsight, I cannot understand what General Lee was thinking.  The war, to that point, had been largely about superior Union forces throwing themselves up against entrenced Confederates and being smashed to pieces.  The war was a lesson in the new killing power of weapons, with the balance of power going to the defence.  And yet Lee smashed his men (Pickett's Charge) up against Gen Meade's line after crossing over a mile of open field and getting hammered with artillery the whole way.

The one I understand in al this was General Longstreet and his utter horror at what he was powerless to stop.  Sadness beyond belief.

-David
Edgewood, NM
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I liked it okay, I would not say it was the best war movie ever though...
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:42:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Gettysburg is one of my all-time favorite movies.  It isn't perfect but it is still a great movie.

Some of the records indicate my g-g-grandfather was captured at Gettysburg while others indicate he was captured at Spotsylvania.  He served in the 1st South Carolina Infantry.  He also died in captivity at Fort Delaware.  I hope to visit the mass grave where he is buried next month.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought it.  Have yet to watch it. Maybe I will do that tomorrow.

It's pretty long, I did it in two sessions because I think it was originally designed with an intermission. But I would say it is truly one of the best films I have ever seen, let alone military films.  

I saw it in the theater. There was a 10 minute intermission.  

I liked Tom Beringer as Longstreet but didn't care for Martin Sheen as Lee.

Lee would be a tough one to pull off, but I agree.  Martin Sheen just doesn't have the depth required for Lee.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:48:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes, I have both director cuts on blu ray...Gods and Generals is twice as good with the extra scenes put back in it.  There is a whole new sub plot with John Wilkes Booth that was not in the theater release. I havn't got around to watching the directors cut of Gettysburg yet, but that move is about 20 min longer than the theater release.

If you liked the original films...YOU MUST SEE THE DIRECTORS CUT VERSIONS.....

[quoteProduct Description
Reedited from beginning to end with amplified scenes and an added subplot, this all-new 2-Disc Extended Director's Cut of Ronald F. Maxwell's Gettysburg prequel restores his original vision of the fierce allegiances and combat of the early American Civil War. From Jeffrey M. Shaara's bestseller, this commemorative release coinciding with the 150th anniversary of the North/South conflict incorporates an hour of footage never seen before. The story of actor and future Presidential assassin John Wilkes Booth (Chris Conner) is newly integrated throughout the narrative alongside the legendary heroism of Joshua Chamberlain (Jeff Daniels), "Stonewall" Jackson (Stephen Lang) and Robert E. Lee (Robert Duvall). And the battle of Antietam is now included along with the fateful clashes at Manassas, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville.]
View Quote

Product Description
Marking the 150th-anniversary commemoration of the Civil War, Ronald F. Maxwell’s acclaimed film now arrives in a Director’s Cut featuring 17 minutes of compelling additional footage. Filmed at actual battle locations and full of authentic details, this rousing and soulful movie plunges you into the heat of the bloodiest battle fought on American soil. History comes alive with intense and spirited battles as well as the dilemmas, motivations and fears of the leaders. Tom Berenger, Jeff Daniels, Martin Sheen and Stephen Lang star in this magnificent epic based on Michael Shaara's Pulitzer Prize-winning The Killer Angels.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:50:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The battle on Little Round Top always fascinated me, after watching the movie, and then seeing it in real life.  I wonder if the land during the battle was a forest like in the movie or wide open as it is today?  Always was curious.

Read Chamberlain's book.

He presided over the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia. Chamberlain's words and why he is so great:

"The momentous meaning of this occasion impressed me deeply. I resolved to mark it by some token of recognition, which could be no other than a salute of arms. Well aware of the responsibility assumed, and of the criticisms that would follow, as the sequel proved, nothing of that kind could move me in the least. The act could be defended, if needful, by the suggestion that such a salute was not to the cause for which the flag of the Confederacy stood, but to its going down before the flag of the Union. My main reason, however, was one for which I sought no authority nor asked forgiveness. Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;––was not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured?

Instructions had been given; and when the head of each division column comes opposite our group, our bugle sounds the signal and instantly our whole line from right to left, regiment by regiment in succession, gives the soldiers salutation, from the "order arms" to the old "carry"––the marching salute. Gordon at the head of the column, riding with heavy spirit and. downcast face, catches the sound of shifting arms, looks up, and, taking the meaning, wheels superbly, making with himself and his horse one uplifted figure, with profound salutation as he drops the point of his sword to the boot toe; then facing to his own command, gives word for his successive brigades to pass us with the same position of the manual,––honor answering honor. On our part not a sound of trumpet more, nor roll of drum; not a cheer, nor word nor whisper of vain-glorying, nor motion of man standing again at the order, but an awed stillness rather, and breath-holding, as if it were the passing of the dead!"

A 100% pure, grade AAA class act, Chamberlain was.  

It is a shame we don't have more people of his class these days.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I have both director cuts on blu ray...Gods and Generals is twice as good with the extra scenes put back in it.  There is a whole new sub plot with John Wilkes Booth that was not in the theater release. I havn't got around to watching the directors cut of Gettysburg yet, but that move is about 20 min longer than the theater release.

If you liked the original films...YOU MUST SEE THE DIRECTORS CUT VERSIONS.....

Thanks.
I actually have the Director's Cut of Gettysburg on vhs from way back. It has some interesting scenes, mainly with Sam Elliot, but nothing major.

I'm hoping to finally get the blurays after Christmas when I'll inevitably end up with a collection of gift cards.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Supposedly there's a Ford Econoline in the background of one scene...
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Gettysburg was very good but the mess that turned out to be Gods and Generals killed any chance to ever see the 3rd book - The Last Full Measure - made into a film.  Gods and Generals was painful to watch.  Having the screenwriter serve as director, Ronald F. Maxwell in this case, didn't work. It could have been edited into a good 2 to 2 1/2 hour movie but it looks like ego got into the way.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Supposedly there's a Ford Econoline in the background of one scene...

No, its a horseman with a flag. Its during the scenes right before Pickett's Charge. I'll admit it did look like a white van in motion on my vhs, but its a bit clearer on dvd and I assume on bluray.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Gen. Buford: You know whats going to happen here in the morning? The whole damn reb army is going to be here. They'll move through this town, occupy these hills on the other side and when our people get here Lee will have the high ground. There will be the devil to pay! The high ground! Meade will come in slowly, cautiously. New to command. They'll be on his back in Washington. Wire hot with messages 'Attack! Attack!'. So he will set up a ring around these hills. And when Lee's army is nicely entrenched behind fat rocks on the high ground, Meade will finally attack, if he can coordinate the army. Straight up the hillside, out in the open, in that gorgeous field of fire. We will charge valiantly... and be butchered valiantly! And afterwards men in tall hats and gold watch fobs will thump their chest and say what a brave charge it was. Devin, I've led a soldier's life, and I've never seen anything as brutally clear as this.

Love that speach.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The battle on Little Round Top always fascinated me, after watching the movie, and then seeing it in real life. I wonder if the land during the battle was a forest like in the movie or wide open as it is today? Always was curious.

Read Chamberlain's book.

He was, essentially, the opposite of Sherman (a good thing).  Men like him largely went away after WWI.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The battle on Little Round Top always fascinated me, after watching the movie, and then seeing it in real life. I wonder if the land during the battle was a forest like in the movie or wide open as it is today? Always was curious.

Read Chamberlain's book.

He was, essentially, the opposite of Sherman (a good thing).  Men like him largely went away after WWI.

Chamberlain and Gordon were perfectly cast, in this final chapter.  Two totally under appreciated and largely unknown leaders.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#28]
"Wonderful Ground you've chosen John... Now let's go surprise Harry Heath"
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top