Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 12/16/2011 1:14:53 PM EDT
Earlier this week, the Blaze reported about the “slightly blasphemous” nativity scene that the Freedom From Religion Foundation has been planning to put in the Wisconsin state capitol. The atheist group was so frustrated over the presence of a Christian nativity, that its leaders decided to seek out a permit to make public what the group’s co-president Annie Laurie Gaylor calls an “irreverent tweak on the nativity scene.”

On Wednesday, the FFRF made good on its promise to counter the Christian depiction assembled by Wisconsin Family Action (WFA), a conservative organization in the region. In the atheist version of the nativity, Thomas Jefferson, Charles Darwin and Albert Einstein are the three wise men. The baby, an African girl, is intended to represent the birthplace of mankind. The beloved angels are an astronaut and the Statue of Liberty.

According to FFRF, the nativity spoof wouldn‘t have been created if the capitol’s rotunda didn’t already have other religious displays. But because the Christian message was represented, Gaylor’s group demanded that theirs be viewed too.

“But, since it is a public forum, it didn’t look like legally we could do anything, so, we were left with putting up our own, natural nativity display,” Gaylor explained. ”We think that the rotunda is getting too littered, we don’t think that it should be a public forum for religion at the seat of government.”

Andrew Seidel, who is also with the FFRF, explained the mock nativity, saying, “Thomas Jefferson, one of our characters (in the display), said that ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible principles. He continued, claiming that his group isn’t competing with WFA. “Our beliefs, we think, are just as important and we want to get them out there and represent the other side of the story,” he said.

WFA has no problem with the presence of the display and says that it welcomes all perspectives. This incident follows a very public battle between the foundation and the Wisconsin state government after Gov. Walker began referring to the state’s official holiday spruce as a Christmas tree this year.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/atheists-unveil-blasphemous-nativity-at-wis-capitol-includes-darwin-einstein-an-african-baby/
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#1]
alright
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#2]
No religion bitterly clings to their beliefs quite like Atheists...
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The thing about the atheist display is that it features characters/things that actually existed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Becoming more and more of a religion everyday. Prophets, sacred books, evangelism, a symbol, holiday decorations, pamphlets, the whole 9 yards...
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep.

Since they cannot present what they believe (they believe in nothing), they are left only with insulting the beliefs of others.

Really classy.

Why didn't they include Allah and Muhammed in the satire? Afraid of taking on a group that will actually do more than just pray for them?
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]
"Heathen's Greetings" LOL
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The thing about the atheist display is that it features characters/things that actually existed.

Right. Jesus never existed.

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Haha.  Who gives a shit that they put up their own display.  They're like trolls, if you quit feeding them, they'll go away (maybe).

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You're saying Jesus never existed?

Yet again, you prove to not have a very apt user name...

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Why would an atheist display include three theists?
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Since they cannot present what they believe (they believe in nothing), they are left only with insulting the beliefs of others.

Really classy.

Why didn't they include Allah and Muhammed in the satire? Afraid of taking on a group that will actually do more than just pray for them?

Come on now they are pussies just like the rest of the liberals
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#13]
They better hope they're right!

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a very amateurish shit-job anyway......my 11 year old does nicer looking school projects..

Douche bags.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#15]
[Christopher Hitchens]

Seriously guys you shouldn't be doing this kind of shit, trust me.

[/Christopher Hitchens]
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't really see a problem with this(if gov buildings are going to have religious displays they should let all religions participate), but I also don't see why they feel the need to do this.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope,(cracks another beer)

Still don't care

Freedom of religion and all that
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Prove his existence with a single non biblical source.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am an atheist and I know a lot of atheists. I honestly can't recall the last time any of us have had a discussion about our beliefs/lack thereof. It's a non-issue.

Some people (like the jackasses who put on this display) just get off on the attention. Fuck them.

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The fact that you think you're smart makes it all the more entertaining!

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Darwin was not atheist.  He described himself as agnostic.

Einstein said, "I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings."  His life's work was to try to understand the nature of God by studying how the world works.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Who cares, just one more thing condemning them to the eternal fires of hell.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

<squalls of laughter>

No.  Remember.  Atheism is religion.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Smart enough to not see things that aren't there :) .
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Who cares, just one more thing condemning them to the eternal fires of hell.

Happy they are going to hell.  That is real Christian like.

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't really see a problem with this(if gov buildings are going to have religious displays they should let all religions participate), but I also don't see why they feel the need to do this.

Atheism isn't a religion.   I'm told that athiests have no beliefs or taditions or holidays (at least based on athiesm), so why put up anything at all?  C'mon we all know people who do stuff like this, do stuff like this to be jerks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#29]
This hogwash has no place on a firearms board. That goes for both sides.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Atheism isn't a religion.   I'm told that athiests have no beliefs or taditions or holidays (at least based on athiesm), so why put up anything at all?  C'mon we all know people who do stuff like this, do stuff like this to be jerks.

To destroy the hopes and dreams of small children.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do some reading genius:

Ehrman, Bart D. (February 2011). "8. Forgeries, Lies, Deceptions, and the Writings of the New Testament. Modern Forgeries, Lies, and Deceptions. The Death Sentence of Jesus Christ."  (EPUB). Forged: Writing in the Name of God—Why the Bible’s Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are. (First Edition. EPub ed.). New York: HarperCollins e-books. p. 285. ISBN 978-0-06-207863-6. Retrieved 2 September 2011. "This does not mean, as is now being claimed with alarming regularity, that Jesus never existed. He certainly existed, as virtually every competent scholar of antiquity, Christian or non-Christian, agrees, based on clear and certain evidence. But as with the vast majority of all persons who lived and died in the first century, he does not appear in the records of the Roman people."
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Madison, worse than Berkeley...
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<squalls of laughter>

No.  Remember.  Atheism is religion.  

If some people claim there is a teapot orbiting the sun between mercury and venus,
and I don't believe there is,
and you don't believe there is,
are we in a religion together?

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, you're right.  There is no non-Biblical evidence of Jesus ever existing.  No archeological or historical evidence.  None.

I'd like to be proven wrong on this one.  Present some objectively verifiable evidence that isn't from a book of stories and I'll eat my words.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Do some reading genius:  

Ehrman, Bart D. (February 2011). "8. Forgeries, Lies, Deceptions, and the Writings of the New Testament. Modern Forgeries, Lies, and Deceptions. The Death Sentence of Jesus Christ."  (EPUB). Forged: Writing in the Name of God—Why the Bible’s Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are. (First Edition. EPub ed.). New York: HarperCollins e-books. p. 285. ISBN 978-0-06-207863-6. Retrieved 2 September 2011. "This does not mean, as is now being claimed with alarming regularity, that Jesus never existed. He certainly existed, as virtually every competent scholar of antiquity, Christian or non-Christian, agrees, based on clear and certain evidence. But as with the vast majority of all persons who lived and died in the first century, he does not appear in the records of the Roman people."

I'd like to see the "clear and certain evidence". I just haven't seen any, that's all I'm saying.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Some Peoples Kids I Swear
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, you're right.  There is no non-Biblical evidence of Jesus ever existing.  No archeological or historical evidence.  None.

I'd like to be proven wrong on this one.  Present some objectively verifiable evidence that isn't from a book of stories and I'll eat my words.

10 seconds of google search and you get lots of reading:

ETA: Feel free to eat your words at any time.

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Its stupid, but hilarious to see all the butthurt.  Do agnostics go to hell?
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Earlier this week, the Blaze reported about the “slightly blasphemous” nativity scene that the Freedom From Religion Foundation has been planning to put in the Wisconsin state capitol. The atheist group was so frustrated over the presence of a Christian nativity, that its leaders decided to seek out a permit to make public what the group’s co-president Annie Laurie Gaylor calls an “irreverent tweak on the nativity scene.”

On Wednesday, the FFRF made good on its promise to counter the Christian depiction assembled by Wisconsin Family Action (WFA), a conservative organization in the region. In the atheist version of the nativity, Thomas Jefferson, Charles Darwin and Albert Einstein are the three wise men. The baby, an African girl, is intended to represent the birthplace of mankind. The beloved angels are an astronaut and the Statue of Liberty.

According to FFRF, the nativity spoof wouldn‘t have been created if the capitol’s rotunda didn’t already have other religious displays. But because the Christian message was represented, Gaylor’s group demanded that theirs be viewed too.

“But, since it is a public forum, it didn’t look like legally we could do anything, so, we were left with putting up our own, natural nativity display,” Gaylor explained. ”We think that the rotunda is getting too littered, we don’t think that it should be a public forum for religion at the seat of government.”

Andrew Seidel, who is also with the FFRF, explained the mock nativity, saying, “Thomas Jefferson, one of our characters (in the display), said that ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible principles. He continued, claiming that his group isn’t competing with WFA. “Our beliefs, we think, are just as important and we want to get them out there and represent the other side of the story,” he said.

WFA has no problem with the presence of the display and says that it welcomes all perspectives. This incident follows a very public battle between the foundation and the Wisconsin state government after Gov. Walker began referring to the state’s official holiday spruce as a Christmas tree this year.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/atheists-unveil-blasphemous-nativity-at-wis-capitol-includes-darwin-einstein-an-african-baby/

At least they remembered to include jackasses in the scene.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do some reading genius:  

I'd like to see the "clear and certain evidence". I just haven't seen any, that's all I'm saying.

If you really want to see it, then do some research.  Scholars clearly think that the evidence exists.  However, you won't because you really don't care and were just trying to play gotcha.

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

My expensive education makes me cringe at the idea of Wiki-anything.  Evidence, not links after a 10 second google search.

ETA:  I openly tempt the Sky God into striking me down.  I'll let you know I'm still here in 5 minutes.

"Thou shalt not tempt God!"    "You'll get what's coming to you in Hell, heathen!"     Pfffffft.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#42]
On balance of evidence, he probably didn't exist. But so what?

It's irrelevant.

If he had and said everything in every miss-translation, it still wouldn't make the christian god any more plausible.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

You know this is GD, right?

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Smart enough to not see things that aren't there :) .

And yet dumb enough to think that Jesus, whose existence was documented by Josephus and Tacitus, among others, didn't exist.

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cornelius Tacitus
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cornelius Tacitus

Was born years after the supposed life of Jesus
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Athiests are only slightly less annoying than liberals.  Not because they don't believe in God, but because they absolutely can't stand that I do.  It's demonstrated here daily and maybe even hourly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My expensive education makes me cringe at the idea of Wiki-anything.  Evidence, not links after a 10 second google search.

Well, studying to earn my undergrad and graduate degrees taught me that even though you cringe, wikipedia is often very very accurate and that at the end of most wikipedia articles are citations from scholarly journals and books backing up the article.  Such it the case with that entry as well.  If you want I'll copy and paste all of the relevant cites from the end of the article, or, you can take a minute and look for yourself.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the hogwash forum  

Thank you, Mr. Penguin.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top