Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2012 2:16:00 PM EDT
Anyone ever tried this before?

Seems like it could be a great way to know what you are getting yourself into (and if you should eject early).

I am an ISTJ, and it describes me perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#1]
A photo would help us decide.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The pics aren't loading.  You might want to try again
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I have. I'm an INTP if you believe in the mbti
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I like to slip them acid, then run them through a series of high stress events.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#5]
INTJ up in this mother.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Myers-Briggs is not a good personality test/measure.  Its accuracy and validity is somewhere between astrology and a fortune cookie.

I knew you would be in here sooner or later.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, I have. I'm an INTP if you believe in the mbti

That's what I've got on every MBTI test I've taken.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Myers-Briggs is not a good personality test/measure.  Its accuracy and validity is somewhere between astrology and a fortune cookie.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#10]
ISTJ- Slightly on all accounts 22 - 1 - 1 - 22
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Didn't like your test results huh, lol.

I am an ENTJ.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm drawn to threads about the M-B, and filled with righteous anger and professional indignation.  

INTJ/ENTJ?
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's better than being in a shitty relationship for a year, and then finding out who she/he really is.

A lot cheaper too.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am an ENTJ.

No, I have never taken a MB test.  There'd be no point.  From a scientific perspective, it is complete garbage, and has no validity.

I also don't go to gypsy women for financial advice.  

So you want to say how inaccurate they are but have never taken one just to see how you fit?  Come on, you know you wanna do it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I've done it to most people around me.

I've tested INTJ, though people tend to over test as INTJs on internet tests. It's technically possible I'm not one, though if I had to place money on being one, that would be it. The _NT_ part is set in stone.
ENTJs, INTPs, ISTJs - all are more common, all can test INTJ. The funniest thing in the world is seeing an ISTJ swear up and down that they're an INTJ

What I've found:
-My male friends/close buddies are generally _NT_s.
-Female friends are mostly _NF_s.
-Most of the girls I've "burned out" were _NF_s. (Moths to a flame).
-Young female _NF_s (early 20s), are often* (but not always) very skittery, indecisive, and make atrocious decisions about relationships. Scatterbrained-artist-"totallyfuckinglost"-types tend to be these people.
-Most _ST_s think I'm weird. I'm entirely unconcerned with that opinion, and I find their sheep like adherence to social-conventions to be silly; the feeling is mutual.
-The people you can't stand most, often have your own personality type. John Maynard Keynes. INTJ Michelle Obama, supposedly an INTJ
-People on the web seem to forget that MBTI personality =/= intelligence. INTJs get seriously wrapped around the fucking axle over that stuff.
-An arrogant and ignorant INTJ is one of the stupidest people you'll ever meet. They'll be mentally stuck in a ditch, and unwilling to learn from others. It's damn sad.
-ISFJs... as an INTJ, ISFJs are hard to deal with at times. (They comprise a good % of my immediate family). "But we've always done it that way" is often used as a response when defending an admittedly bad habit.  
- Of the two INTJ females I knew, we both ended up like siamese fighting fish at some points

Remember this though: the MBTI doesn't go on like accessories onto a rail  It's not like it latches on and that's it. In MBTIs there's a healthy bit of wiggle room. I think it's interesting to see just how different people within the same personality type can be. It's cool stuff. Also remember that while some will use it as a tool to categorically dismiss opinions of others (I've watched it. It's sad. _NTJ snobbery on the web is pretty ridiculous sometimes ), it's more about understanding communications breakdowns than anything else.

Don't get hung up on "Their type isn't perfect for me blahblahblah". But! It can be fun, and absolutely serves as an interesting piece of information, very relevant in the pursuit of figuring out someone else. Opposites can compliment each other very nicely.

Only you know your situation best OP. Use the tools provided, take advice- but always use your own best judgement

That's my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

are there any that are good?
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am an ENTJ.

No, I have never taken a MB test.  There'd be no point.  From a scientific perspective, it is complete garbage, and has no validity.

I also don't go to gypsy women for financial advice.  

10 internet dollars says this guy's an ISTP
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#21]
"People skills" are somewhere below "appreciation of 17th century French literature" and "Samoan arts & crafts" on my list of talents and I can pretty much tell what someone's personality is like after 2 dates.  

You are seriously overthinking this shit, OP.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I think a credit check, drug screen, employment verification, chat with parents, and STD screening would be more beneficial that the MBTI assessment

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#23]

I always found boob size to be a better indication of longterm compatibility.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plenty.

The traditional Big 5 test - with a myriad of sub-scales - is a very accurate and valid measure of personality.  The Neo PI is a variant of the Big 5 (with about 6 facets for each factor, resulting in 30 facets).  Neo PI is an expansion of the IPIP scales, which are actually public domain and free.

Companies like Hogan (staffed with lots of IO-Psych researchers) have also developed their own inventories, loosely based on factor models, that are also very accurate and valid.  Of course, Hogan assessment are typically quite expensive (probably about $500 per person).

Lots of companies (and people) use the M-B because it is cheap and easy - not realizing that it's garbage.  It SOUNDS like it makes some kind of intuitive sense, until you realize that your horoscope also seems to make intuitive sense.    "Yeah sure, that kind of sounds like me" is not a valid psychometric measure of personality.  The M-B is just made-up nonsense that SOUNDS good, but has zero scientific validity, "developed" by people that really had no understanding or training in psychology or personality at all.  Unfortunately, the people that OWN the M-B are very good at marketing it, and because its so widespread, lots of people buy into it, even though its largely useless.  

that might be a tad overstated.  my little sister is a PhD in clinical, and while she recommends the big 5 and says that M-B has declined in reputation, she still views it (M_B) as having some value as an inventory.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty.

The traditional Big 5 test - with a myriad of sub-scales - is a very accurate and valid measure of personality.  The Neo PI is a variant of the Big 5 (with about 6 facets for each factor, resulting in 30 facets).  Neo PI is an expansion of the IPIP scales, which are actually public domain and free.

Companies like Hogan (staffed with lots of IO-Psych researchers) have also developed their own inventories, loosely based on factor models, that are also very accurate and valid.  Of course, Hogan assessment are typically quite expensive (probably about $500 per person).

Lots of companies (and people) use the M-B because it is cheap and easy - not realizing that it's garbage.  It SOUNDS like it makes some kind of intuitive sense, until you realize that your horoscope also seems to make intuitive sense.    "Yeah sure, that kind of sounds like me" is not a valid psychometric measure of personality.  The M-B is just made-up nonsense that SOUNDS good, but has zero scientific validity, "developed" by people that really had no understanding or training in psychology or personality at all.  Unfortunately, the people that OWN the M-B are very good at marketing it, and because its so widespread, lots of people buy into it, even though its largely useless.  

that might be a tad overstated.  my little sister is a PhD in clinical, and while she recommends the big 5 and says that M-B has declined in reputation, she still views it (M_B) as having some value as an inventory.

FWIW, this guy thinks it has some validity:
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone know anything about Taylor-Johnson Temperament Analysis (T-JTA)?
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree strongly (but will admit that my hatred of the M-B is powerful ).  

But, just to be clear - the M-B never had a reputation among actual personality researchers/scientists as a valid measure of personality.

I have never seen a published empirical paper in a top APA journal (like the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, or the Journal of Applied Psychology, for example.) actually use the M-B test as a measure of personality.  

As an amusing aside, one of the people I worked with during graduate school actually tested the validity of the M-B against a professional astrologer, and found no difference in the predictive validity of the two when compared to a Big 5 measure.

Interesting.

The MB test I took was part of a military leadership course. The course instructor swore by it. I should of known that if something was in a military leadership course it was bogus.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#32]
It's funny that many people will take the Myers-Briggs "test" and find themselves to be one of the analytical types the "test" defines and then see no irony in believing that the test isn't about as real as holistic medicine, voodoo, and politicians with integrity.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree strongly (but will admit that my hatred of the M-B is powerful ).  

But, just to be clear - the M-B never had a reputation among actual personality researchers/scientists as a valid measure of personality.

I have never seen a published empirical paper in a top APA journal (like the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, or the Journal of Applied Psychology, for example.) actually use the M-B test as a measure of personality.  

As an amusing aside, one of the people I worked with during graduate school actually tested the validity of the M-B against a professional astrologer, and found no difference in the predictive validity of the two when compared to a Big 5 measure.

fair enough.  she's not a personality researcher, which might explain some disconnect or lack of intimacy with the issue.  her field is more towards the psychophysiology end––blood phobia and disgust phenomena.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's funny that many people will take the Myers-Briggs "test" and find themselves to be one of the analytical types the "test" defines and then see no irony in believing that the test isn't about as real as holistic medicine, voodoo, and politicians with integrity.  

Only an idiot would think I'm INTJ.

Pretty sure the test is valid, at least to an extent.  Although every profile is written as though they might apply in some ways to everyone, the differences are really very pronounced.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Haven't done it to anyone, as the real tests cost money.  

I'm an ISTJ myself.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#36]
It seems to me the test would be too easy to "beat" in regards to analyzing a potential partner.

If you're an extrovert, your partner would know to answer the questions as someone that loves being in crowds, hates to do research/projects alone, doesn't anger easily etc...

The opposite would be done if you're introverted.

I know it goes deeper than that, but that's pretty much how I see it.

ETA: If they were willing to lie about themselves to be with you that is...
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think that generally comes from ignorance of the unscientific nature of the MBTI rather than a lack of logic.

Although I don't have any faith in the test itself, the INTP description does seem to describe my personality pretty well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#38]
My brother took one of the tests a few years ago and my mom was looking at the sheet.  She found one that described me perfectly at the time, though I don't know if it is what I would have actually scored.  So I don't really know how accurate it is or not.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#39]
ENTJ for the win!

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that generally comes from ignorance of the unscientific nature of the MBTI rather than a lack of logic.

Although I don't have any faith in the test itself, the INTP description does seem to describe my personality pretty well.

If one considers oneself to be logical then how could one remain ignorant on something that they wish to use to define themselves?

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Myers Briggs tests are complete BS.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Personality tests are bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I took it myself.

INTJ

Mastermind.

Rational portrait of the mastermind.

All Rationals are good at planning operations, but Masterminds are head and shoulders above all the rest in contingency planning. Complex operations involve many steps or stages, one following another in a necessary progression, and Masterminds are naturally able to grasp how each one leads to the next, and to prepare alternatives for difficulties that are likely to arise any step of the way. Trying to anticipate every contingency, Masterminds never set off on their current project without a Plan A firmly in mind, but they are always prepared to switch to Plan B or C or D if need be.

Masterminds are rare, comprising no more than one to two percent of the population, and they are rarely encountered outside their office, factory, school, or laboratory. Although they are highly capable leaders, Masterminds are not at all eager to take command, preferring to stay in the background until others demonstrate their inability to lead. Once they take charge, however, they are thoroughgoing pragmatists. Masterminds are certain that efficiency is indispensable in a well-run organization, and if they encounter inefficiency –– any waste of human and material resources –– they are quick to realign operations and reassign personnel. Masterminds do not feel bound by established rules and procedures, and traditional authority does not impress them, nor do slogans or catchwords. Only ideas that make sense to them are adopted; those that don't, aren't, no matter who thought of them. Remember, their aim is always maximum efficiency.

In their careers, Masterminds usually rise to positions of responsibility, for they work long and hard and are dedicated in their pursuit of goals, sparing neither their own time and effort nor that of their colleagues and employees. Problem-solving is highly stimulating to Masterminds, who love responding to tangled systems that require careful sorting out. Ordinarily, they verbalize the positive and avoid comments of a negative nature; they are more interested in moving an organization forward than dwelling on mistakes of the past.

Masterminds tend to be much more definite and self-confident than other Rationals, having usually developed a very strong will. Decisions come easily to them; in fact, they can hardly rest until they have things settled and decided. But before they decide anything, they must do the research. Masterminds are highly theoretical, but they insist on looking at all available data before they embrace an idea, and they are suspicious of any statement that is based on shoddy research, or that is not checked against reality.

Famous INTJs

Isaac Newton
Stephen Hawking
Ben Bernanke
Lise Meitner
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Ulysses S. Grant
Ayn Rand
Bill Gates
Niels Bohr
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#44]
INTJ here
89 - 25 - 88 - 44
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm an ISTJ, whatever that is. If it means that I consider most psychological profile tests to be useless bullshit, then it's probably pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm a Virgo, Scorpio rising.  The Moon was in Leo, IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm drawn to threads about the M-B, and filled with righteous anger and professional indignation.  

So when you took it you did not like the answer it gave you?

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#48]
IBTL
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#49]
ISTJ reporting.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If one considers oneself to be logical then how could one remain ignorant on something that they wish to use to define themselves?

Mostly willful ignorance and intellectual laziness, I would guess. The MBTI seems logical and is very descriptive and complex, which appeals to a lot of "analytical" types despite its unscientific nature.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top