Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I must be old.When did people start inhaling Helium to get high?Jameson and a good cigar for me!I know Im boring.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
God damn some of you guys are heartless.
She wasn't huffing gasoline or smoking meth.  Are you telling me you have never inhaled a helium balloon?

Are you sure about that?  This wasn't just some innocent school girl party:

EAGLE POINT, Ore.     (AP) –– Last weekend, 14-year-old Ashley Long told her parents she was going to a slumber party. But instead of spending the night watching videos and eating popcorn two blocks away, she piled into a car with a bunch of her friends and rode to a condo in Medford, Ore., where police say the big sister of one of her friends was throwing a party with booze and marijuana.

I might be in the minority here on arf, but for the vast majority of people in the real world doing some drinking and smoking in high school was part of growing up.  I don't know anyone that had never been to a party with booze/ pot.

I wouldn't think getting it from a tank would be any different than a balloon.  I sure as hell wouldn't expect a 14 y/o girl to know that either.

Pressurized containers.  How do they work?  BTW:  I never attended  a party with pot present until I was in my 30's. The hostess threw the asshole and his date  out when he lit up in her bathroom.

A balloon isn't pressurized?

20 (or so) PSI vs 2,000 PSI.  I'd say there is a bit of a difference.   I'm sorry of you cannot see something so obvious.

I just read where the article said "hits directly from tank". There indeed is a pressure gradient in that set up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Parenting failure.

No, just a stupid accident that happened to some kids doing regular kid shit.

I'm betting you'd have to huff a shitload of Helium to have problems.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
What I find funny is the moral crusaders who are above drinking/smoking/inhaling helium and all those devil activities are the ones who are so callous about a teenage girls death.
Yeah yeah we got it, she shouldn't have done it.  That doesn't mean she deserved to die.  The smug satisfaction all of you get thinking she got what she deserved is evil.

Sorry she had to die.  But portraying this as some innocent teenage activity gone horribly wrong is just denial.

If some teenage kid got drunk, loaded up a gun at a party, played Russian Roulette, and shot himself in the head would you say "Oh, what a horrible, tragic accident!"?

Equating sucking in some helium to pointing a loaded gun at your own head and pulling the trigger.
Not sure if serious.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought I heard that balloon helium is mixed with oxygen so that that kind of thing can't happen.  Maybe she inhaled welding-quality helium?

Balloon helium has a 10% oxygen impurity to prevent exactly this.

IBK_J?
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
She wasn't huffing gasoline or smoking meth.  Are you telling me you have never inhaled a helium balloon?

EAGLE POINT, Ore.     (AP) –– Last weekend, 14-year-old Ashley Long told her parents she was going to a slumber party. But instead of spending the night watching videos and eating popcorn two blocks away, she piled into a car with a bunch of her friends and rode to a condo in Medford, Ore., where police say the big sister of one of her friends was throwing a party with booze and marijuana.

I might be in the minority here on arf, but for the vast majority of people in the real world doing some drinking and smoking in high school was part of growing up.  I don't know anyone that had never been to a party with booze/ pot.

I wouldn't think getting it from a tank would be any different than a balloon.  I sure as hell wouldn't expect a 14 y/o girl to know that either.

Same here. It was not unusual to go to a friend's college age sibling's house to party.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pressurized containers.  How do they work?  BTW:  I never attended  a party with pot present until I was in my 30's. The hostess threw the asshole and his date  out when he lit up in her bathroom.

20 (or so) PSI vs 2,000 PSI.  I'd say there is a bit of a difference.   I'm sorry of you cannot see something so obvious.

The pressure is irrelevant if both end up filling your lungs to capacity.
Either way you end up with the same concentration of helium in your lungs.

I'm sorry you grew up devoid of social interaction with your peers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

stupid games, prizes, yada yada

I inhaled too much when I worked at a pizza place at 16 an nearly passed out. I didn't realize what could happen. Guess I was stupid and deserved to die.

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Bleb on lung?
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#10]
The National Inhalant Prevention Coalition (NIPC) reports approximately 100 to 125 inhalant deaths per year, based on contacts with families of victims and media accounts.
http://www.inhalants.org/final_medical.htm

Inhaling helium from a tank to get high is just as dangerous as the 'hippie' craze of doing the same thing with Nitrous Oxide tanks.  They are both illegal and just as dumb as inhaling a can of paint, propane or butane .

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It is sad she died but what do you want people to do throw a Darwin Party?  When people do stupid stuff you get stupid consequences.  Let it be a lesson for the rest who still lack reasoning skills.  I'd be more concerned about the lack of adult supervision.  That was a guaranteed disaster waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dr. Mark Morocco, associate professor of emergency medicine at the Ronald Reagan Medical Center in Los Angeles, said what happens is similar to when a scuba diver surfaces too quickly. A gas bubble gets into the bloodstream, perhaps through some kind of tear in a blood vessel, and can block blood flow to the brain, causing a stroke.

I am not buying this explanation at all. She was not underwater so atmospheric pressure was the same throughout whatever it was she was doing.

or can someone clue me in on this?

The helium in the tank is highly pressurized and the oral mucosa are thin and highly permeable, so are the pleura.
The other risk of hitting straight off the tank is freezing your larynx.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The pressure is irrelevant if both end up filling your lungs to capacity.
Either way you end up with the same concentration of helium in your lungs.

I'm sorry you grew up devoid of social interaction with your peers.

Ir's an interesting fact that you can have social interaction without massive levels of various intoxicants.  

Granted, I did slow down on the social interaction when I got married.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is sad she died but what do you want people to do throw a Darwin Party?  When people do stupid stuff you get stupid consequences.  Let it be a lesson for the rest who still lack reasoning skills.  I'd be more concerned about the lack of adult supervision.  That was a guaranteed disaster waiting to happen.

lol adult supervision at a teenage high school party
not sure if serious
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not sure if serious

Wasn't a high school party.  An ADULT party with a teenager present.   Seriously, didn't you read the article?
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#16]
In the weekend evenings during the Summer with my friends, we would go to Arctic Circle for ice cream.

You could get an ice cream for cheap, back then.

Anywho... They always had balloons, and we would suck the helium and talk in funny voices.

On one evening one of my friends brought his cute cousin and her cute friend along on whatever we were doing.

Needless to say, I acted like a complete retard the entire evening... And we ended up at Arctic Circle.

The girls good looks combined with their laughing and joking encouraged me to take the helium to a whole other level that evening. I sucked me down some helium. A lot.

And when we walked out to the car, I had a baloon in my hand and was breathing in the helium as we walked. I got light headed, and about passed out.

Cute girls made me do stupid things in my younger years.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not sure if serious

Your darn straight  adult supervision.  I raised 4 and there was never a party that didn't have plenty of adults present.  I required a list of the adults and added my or my wife's name to it.  My kids knew better than to complain too.  Teenagers especially will do the stupidest stuff and never for one second consider the consequences.  The pack mentality over rules the brain when left unsupervised.  The girl lied to her parents and they never checked it out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#18]
So when can we expect the big push for banning helium?
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not sure if serious

Your darn straight  adult supervision.  I raised 4 and there was never a party that didn't have plenty of adults present.  I required a list of the adults and added my or my wife's name to it.  My kids knew better than to complain too.  Teenagers especially will do the stupidest stuff and never for one second consider the consequences.  The pack mentality over rules the brain when left unsupervised.  The girl lied to her parents and they never checked it out.

You've got to be trolling right now
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top