Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2012 12:36:27 PM EDT
http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1886076,00.html

Based on the number of coordinated media mentions, I think they're going to try and push the newest background check extension stuff in the very near future.  

Gun owners' biggest problem lately is complacency.

Many are convinced the Dems are done going after guns.   Nothing could be further from the truth, because they know those guns ultimately stand in the way of their radical redistributionist agenda.

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
What was negative about that?

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#2]
it wasn't a great photo essay (the hallmark of which is the telling of a story, which this one didn't), but i don't think it was objectionable.

people are going to try to read all kinds of things into it, but if he was going to try to make gun culture look bad, there are a ton of things that he could have done, but chose not to.  i really liked the inclusion of the woman with the triple distinction.

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Why do we need a background check...let alone a more intensive one?
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't see that as negative at all.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The new law is their attempt to take advantage of the Gabby Giffords shooting.

Here's Kopel's testimony on the pending legislation and why its bad.

http://davekopel.org/Testimony/S436.pdf

Now look at that legislation in the context of the photos selected for this essay.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel like I'm reading an email on HR 45.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Based on the number of coordinated media mentions, I think they're going to try and push the newest background check extension stuff in the very near future.  

Many are convinced the Dems are done going after guns.   Nothing could be further from the truth, because they know those guns ultimately stand in the way of their radical redistributionist agenda.

Was that conclusion supposed to logically follow?
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I didn't see that as negative at all.

i mean it sucked but i don't think it was negative either
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#9]
What's this background extension thing about?
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#10]
That was a fair photo essay.  Of course anyone not liking firearms, paint balls, hunting, or cap guns will find it tasteless

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Fast & Furious is proof that they are not giving up, they stepped up the game 5 times.    They have shown that they will stop at nothing to try and take away the Second Amendment.

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#12]
UGh... this is what I get for making a thread on a Friday.  

The photo essay is old, and I do think its got some propaganda characteristics about it.

It was supposed to illustrate the greater point.   Listen and pay attention.  The news media is on an uptick about guns.  Watch and listen.

Or, you know, pretend that half the country isn't intent on squashing our rights.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#13]
From the photographer's web site:

On June 26 of 2008 the United States Supreme Court stated, for the first time in history, that individuals have a protected right to bear arms.  The question had long remained unanswered with opponents of the decision arguing that the military –and not the individual –had been the only entity ensured that right.  At ground level, the decision virtually guaranteed that guns will remain a prevalent icon in American culture.  This essay looks at that icon and the spectrum of gun owners in the United States, focusing on the cultural manifestations of the gun and its ubiquitous role in popular culture.

You see, this "right of the People to keep and bear arms" is such a new, and novel concept, only recently introduced to legal thought
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Casa Bonita

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I really liked some of those pics. Anybody know where to get some of the older uniforms?
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Paintball is not part of the "gun culture" in America.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You obviously subscribe to a belief that guns are good and that people owning guns aren't inherently mentally unstable.

People playing paint ball (simulated war), people dressing up like soldiers and playing war with guns, children with toy guns, little pink pistols for the ladies, people shooting shit up with machine guns, people with dozens of animal heads as trophies...anyone with a "reasonable" mindset is going to see this as a bunch dangerous bloodthirsty wannabes. There's a reason they didn't post pictures of guys teaching their sons to shoot with a .22, or folks out shooting skeet, or qualifying for their CHLs.

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

...The photo essay is old...

...The news media is on an uptick about guns...

how does an old photo essay support your assertion that there is a new 'coordinated' uptick of media mention about guns?

i'm not saying that you're wrong, just that your post does not seem well thought out.

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new law is their attempt to take advantage of the Gabby Giffords shooting.

Here's Kopel's testimony on the pending legislation and why its bad.

http://davekopel.org/Testimony/S436.pdf

Now look at that legislation in the context of the photos selected for this essay.

My father subscribed to TIME for most of his life. I don't know why, he was deeply conservative, but I read that magazine for years. That photo essay was remarkably tame for them, even to the point that I'd call it favorable if I didn't know the source and consider that anything they do has some kind of planned leftist benefit hidden somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

how does an old photo essay support your assertion that there is a new 'coordinated' uptick of media mention about guns?

i'm not saying that you're wrong, just that your post does not seem well thought out.

Time magazine recently rotated the photo essay back into its web rotation.  

I used it illustratively, after I heard another gun item on the radio during lunch.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Time magazine recently rotated the photo essay back into its web rotation.  

I used it illustratively, after I heard another gun item on the radio during lunch.  

ahhh...ok.  that makes more sense.

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I like it and the pics, feel it's a decent representation of gun owners.....just saying.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

UGh... this is what I get for making a thread on a Friday.  
The photo essay is old, and I do think its got some propaganda characteristics about it.
It was supposed to illustrate the greater point.   Listen and pay attention.  The news media is on an uptick about guns.  Watch and listen.
Or, you know, pretend that half the country isn't intent on squashing our rights.  

Pics of chicks with guns, toys, hunting, etc?  If that's propaganda, I'm not seeing it.
Yeah the media is on their once a year bitch-fest, but no new legislation is going anywhere at all (except national reciprocity).
Half the country does't give a shit about gun rights.  HCI, VPC, etc. are tiny organizations with budgets that can hardly afford a free Facebook page.  The only reason they still exist is that the media gives them free coverage.
I'm all for constant vigilance and all, but we are on the offensive.  We need to act like it, rather than acting reactivity to every perceived sleight.

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm not sure the "media" or "propaganda machine" are on the same page as the legislators.

There are more and more gun shows on TV becoming more and more popular with the general public. In many ways, if anything, I see a cultural change in guns being accepted by Joe Q. Sixpack.

But, I'm still for being vigilant and watching for the hints of what the anti-gunners are doing to further erode our rights. I just see a difference in public perception lately.

-JC
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Machine Gunner

"The rapid fire
guys reminded me of bad photographers," writes Slaby. "The guys who
never bother to look at what they're shooting, just pointing and
squeezing.  They call it spray and pray, just like photographers do."

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Found this in you "laugh u lose thread" , so its a copy....

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Time? Talk about a dinosaur...
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

DO NOT overestimate your average American. If there are six publicized uses of privately owned guns in genuine self defense in the news over a few weeks, the average guy believes guns are great, if there are three anti gun articles a week on the networks telling us guns are bad mmmkay, then the average American thinks guns are bad mmmmkay.

The average American is not willing, and likely not capable of thinking for himself, and much prefers a familiar face on the idiot box to tell him what to believe in. If Dan Rather were to go on the air and state that there were going to be concentration camps set up for jews, and that it was a good idea, 75% of Americans would be at the water cooler the next morning talking about how great it is that they are finally getting around to building some good old fashioned concentration camps.
There is iron in your words for all Jews to see.

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Why are WWII paratrooper reenactors always so fat!?!
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#33]
The only thing I saw that was "Propaganda-y" was that caption on that ghillie suited guy that participates in "competitive sniper rifle shooter" competitions.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Those were great pics. If anything it would look pro-gun- it showed young and old, reenactors and competitors, hunters and defense guns... I think it's grand that that is on Time. Is there an article full of stereotypes and mean things about gun owners we're missing?
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Megan Holmberg  
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I thought it was pretty cool to be honest, good pictures. I dont think it was negative.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#37]

The Star Trek pic is classic! Nice!
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Just curious but has this S 463 bill have any co-sponsors.  This bill hasn't seemed to have gotten much attention nationally.
Another thing that I didn't understand  when I read it was the use of the word required.  Someone that is required to receive counseling  or required to receive mental health services would be prohibited from owning a firearm.  My question is required by who?
ERic
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Why are WWII paratrooper reenactors always so fat!?!

Glider Riders they provide ballast on the Wacos. They have to be Glider Riders cause the weight would blow out at least 2 panels.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top