Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Browning High Power GP Competition owner here.

Absolutely the most accurate 9mm I've ever shot. 6" barrel with weight on the end, Pachmayr grips, adjustable sights, uses standard Hi-Power magazines as well as HP aftermarket mags. Recoil is the lightest of any 9mm I've shot as well. Just a pleasure to shoot, though I try not to shoot it too much owing to its rarity and "senior citizen" status of guns in the Planemaker "collection"*.

* I use "collection" loosely here as that would imply some sort of logic in the acquisition process when clearly there was none.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 3, but I usually carry my HK or Glock.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It is like a 1911, a CZ75 combo meal.

Hi cap plus single action. The best of both worlds.

It is also relatively light.

Thoughts?

Great pistol!

Fits the hand well....  points well.... accurate ... reliable....

Proven in combat

You can can use it in its utilitarian form, or have it customized and it practically becomes a work of art....

Link Posted: 3/4/2012 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
....or have it customized and it practically becomes a work of art....

Link Posted: 3/4/2012 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.floridaarms.com/

You could always build your own BHP.

Link Posted: 3/4/2012 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
....or have it customized and it practically becomes a work of art....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/Guevera/e4469301.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/Guevera/DSCN0175.jpg

pretty, but I'd still rather have a CZ
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Its a qualit gun but not even close to "best".

Shitty, heavy trigger
magazine safety
relatively soft, small locking lugs prone to problems with steady diets of +P
"mushy" safety

I've owned one.  Nice gun.  But it's got its weaknesses

As the owner of two of them, one of which is a Special Ops from Novak's, I agree.  Bt, they are reliable and do conceal very well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#8]
feels like a wet dream in my hand, but i despise the front sight post on my dad's.  skinny, ramped, and curved––all bad things for a FSP.  if it had a 1911 front sight i would steal the thing without hesitation.

Link Posted: 3/4/2012 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#9]
The BHP was the first handgun I bought.
It is a fine pistol.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
It is, in my opiniion, the best handgun in the world.

Some will disagree.

If I  had only one handgun....BHP.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#11]
It is an absolute great handgun, and I can shoot one more accurately than any other pistol.  I have owned several, including T models, and all were beautiful guns.  That being sad, the trigger reset takes some getting used to, mag disconnect (although removable) is a pain, and they can be fickle just like a 1911.  They are fantastic "shooting" guns, but not my idea of an ideal carry or combat side arm.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Not after FN got their hands on it... synthetic POS.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Great pistol, shitty reset and no feedback from the thumb safety are it's only real flaws.

Stock trigger is better w/o the mag safety. Sights suck ass except on the later ones, which have the stupid mag safety.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#14]
doesn't fit my hand at all. Fits dad's hands perfectly. I'd love to own one if I could shoot it worth a damn.

It's one of my top recommendations for people who can't shoot glocks well. I recommend glocks first because most of my friends are broke and you can get one for 300 used around here. Plus glocks are my favorite. My next pistol will likely be a 1911 since they along with the glock21SF seem to be the only handguns that really "fit".
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Wish I still had it.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I've owned almost every brand of 1911 out there and still love-em. I've owned Glocks and hated-em. I've had CZ's and really liked them other than they seem unecessarily large for the caliber and don't fit my smaller hands. I've owned many BHP's over the years and the best ones have been the later Made in Belgium/Assembled in Portugal versions. The safeties are larger, ambidextrous and much more practical than the classic versions, IMO. I still go back to the BHP as my favorite handgun of all time. There is NOTHING that one can do with another pistol that can't be done with a cocked & locked BHP.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

FN always had their hands on it.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 6:46:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It is like a 1911, a CZ75 combo meal.

Hi cap plus single action. The best of both worlds.

It is also relatively light.

Thoughts?

agree 100%
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Sure, in the 70s.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#20]
My Father was actually issued one in Vietnam. It had been a captured VC weapon and inspected and re-issued as a "substitute standard" along with 500 rounds of 9mm ball ammunition. When my Father left he requested permission to keep it as a war trophy and brought it home. It was the first real hangun I ever held and started my life-long love affair with the Hi-Power design.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

[>://

FN has always been the producer of genuine "Browning Hi-Power" though there are many licensed and unlicensed versions from others around the World.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Without the mag safety, then yes

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#23]
John Moses Browning himself stated it was the design where he corrected all the problems with the 1911.

I shot one and fit my hand perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Only thing missing is a rail. Other than that, it's damn near perfect.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Hammer bite is hard to fix (need to weld up frame).
Needs and extended safety & better sights.
Needs trigger job.
Doesn't take +P ammo.
Magazine safety.

You can get off-the-shelf 1911's now w/o any of the above defects.

When FN addresses all of the above, then we'll talk.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I know it's probably blasphemy, but I would love it if they made a modernized BHP with a rail and possibly a polymer frame.
Make it with an Alloy frame.  

Alloy framed HP.  The extra mag is for the .22 conversion.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Classic design.  I will buy one when the flow becomes available.  

For me, the Holy Grail of BHPs would be a Canadian made Inglis in original condition (standard sights-not the tangent style sights sold to the Chinese).  I really like the internal extractor design and it's business-like, no-frills functionality.  I could live with the rudimentary sights.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Its a qualit gun but not even close to "best".

Shitty, heavy trigger
magazine safety
relatively soft, small locking lugs prone to problems with steady diets of +P
"mushy" safety

I've owned one.  Nice gun.  But it's got its weaknesses

I've read elsewhere from custom gunsmiths that the metal used in the manufacture of the BHP isn't up to M1911 standards in terms of hardness.  I find that strange.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Owned two. One in 9mm and the other in .40. Think they are great, espcially after eliminating the mag disconnect problem. Vast improvement in the trigger pull.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Iv never shot one, i always thought they were sort of ugly but i keep hearing rave reviews of them and the cz75.

Looks like i have some more "research" that needs to be done.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#31]
They need a few changes before I can use them painlessly.   Some of its shortcomings don't really have much of a solution, but it's a decent enough gun for what it is.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The design of the Hi power was initiated by JMB under contract for FN, and completed by the guy who designed the FAL.  In other words, the Hi Power has ALWAYS been an FN pistol.  And, with the exception of an oddball South African made polymer frame, they have never been "synthetic."
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Bet 9mm I've ever shot, very accurate

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

John Moses Browning himself stated it was the design where he corrected all the problems with the 1911.

I shot one and fit my hand perfectly.

can you point to me where he said that?

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fits my hand beautifully, but I've never had the chance to shoot with one.  

For the life of me, I can't hit anything past 15 yards with a 1911.  I can drive nails with the BHP though.

Must have been a Springfield to POS

Traded mine in for a baby eagle and 100 bucks worth of nine
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Only thing missing is a rail. Other than that, it's damn near perfect.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Love mine, I prefer it to the 1911.

Getting a lot of use out of this photo.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Hands down my favorite handgun. I own 7 of them.(in various trims)

Not the best combat pistol Imo but one of the nicest.

Some of the complaints in the previous posts can be addressed with a little extra money and effort.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I know it's probably blasphemy, but I would love it if they made a modernized BHP with a rail and possibly a polymer frame.

A polymer frame but no rail.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Polymer%20Frame.htm
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Love mine, I prefer it to the 1911.

Getting a lot of use out of this photo.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/more%20stuff/pics/Hipower001-1.jpg

If they changed all the rules and I could buy any pistol I wanted, that one is the very top of the list.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#42]
I had one but had to sell it. With my grip I would invariably either:

A. hit the slide stop causing it to engage when I didn't want it to in the middle of shooting, locking the slide back

B. hold the slide stop down causing the slide to not lock back on an empty mag

I realize this is more an issue of how I hold the gun rather than the gun itself. That said I have not had this problem with any of the MANY other types of pistols I've used. I'm not willing to adapt my grip from what I do with every gun for only one type.

Does this happen to anyone else?
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#43]
No.  Top ten, sure.  But not the best.  Stock trigger is nothing special, accuracy is decent but hardly world class.  Steel tends to be on the soft side.  

And yes, I own one.  I like well enough, but it's not the first thing I pull out of the safe.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The BHP was the first handgun I bought.
It is a fine pistol.

Same here.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#45]
The "best"?

I don´t know.

But it´s my # 1 "Go to" gun.

I had 5, sold # 4.

# 1 is early 1942 "Pistole 640(b)", complete rig - Pistol, Holster and two mags - got it from a Na** Family

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power

# 2 is a mint NIB "T Series" - not touched, only rarely shot

# 3 is an Ex Austrian Police HP, converted by somebody to a Match Pistol. I use it as a Match Pistol. SWEET trigger!

# 4 sold

# 5 is MY GUN!

Mark III, cast ( read : "40 cal " frame ), Competition model, two tone.

Wolff springs throughout, Mag safe removed, Seidler trigger job, Esmeralda Cocobolo grips ( GORGEOUS!!! ).

I have nearly tons of mags, but bought MecGar nickeled ones especially for this pistol.

And, as holsters get hard to get, get yours!!

Mine: Rafter L gunleather, the version with the leather preventing skirt or skin stained or hurt.

I like mine.

I would trust my Life to it.

YMMV.

Hermann

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#46]
I'd rather have DA/SA.  I'd rather have no hammer bite.  I'd rather have no mag safety.  

The CZ's I've shot have tended to have better triggers than the HP's I've shot, but my sample set is piss poor, just a few of each.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#47]
I like the OP's description but will stick with my CZ75
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#48]
No it is not the best but it is good.  I would take a CZ75 all day every day over a Hipower.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The design of the Hi power was initiated by JMB under contract for FN, and completed by the guy who designed the FAL.  In other words, the Hi Power has ALWAYS been an FN pistol.  And, with the exception of an oddball South African made polymer frame, they have never been "synthetic."

Sorry, I'm talking about these later model FN's. You are right it's not all synthetic being made of cast something or other... but it's still junk. Stick with the earlier ones.

The trigger is a plasticky piece of crap. Pull it. It even sounds plasticky and won't 'catch' unless it's fully released. Never had anything like it and that's why I sold it.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I'm talking about these later model FN's. You are right it's not all synthetic being made of cast something or other... but it's still junk. Stick with the earlier ones.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/276136000/276136903/pix924199867.jpg

The trigger is a plasticky piece of crap. Pull it. It even sounds plasticky and won't 'catch' unless it's fully released. Never had anything like it and that's why I sold it.

That looks absolutely nothing like the BHP's currently in my local gunshop.  

What's with the bobbed hammer?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top