Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2012 12:08:38 PM EDT
I have about 20 greek/roman coins (I don't know which).  Wanted to see if y'all think they have the potential to be valuable. I'd rather waste my time here vice researching something that won't pan out.

If I should pursue researching, any recommended sites?

Update:

Ok, thanks for the responses, here are the pics:

Observse-

Reverse-

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have about 20 greek/roman coins (I don't know which).  Wanted to see if y'all think they have the potential to be valuable. I'd rather waste my time here vice researching something that won't pan out.

You picked a bad time to be selling Greek currency

I guess some indication of what coins, what period etc might be a little more useful than just saying "greek/roman". Good well-lit photos and as close-to-accurate transcriptions of any text on them would be very helpful whereever you go to research them, though I'm sure I seen a few coin experts waxing lyrical on GD previously to interesting effect.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Ha, I should have mentioned they are 'ancient' coins.

I'll dig them up when I get home on Tuesday, and take pics.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

"It depends"

Some ancient coins are worth a buck or less.  Some are worth thousands.  Your most likely are in the former category, but the only way to tell is to ask someone who really knows.

You could post some good, large, clear, high-resolution photos and paste the links here... I'm certain we have some members who could give a guess.  Or try a coin collecting forum, or take them to a coin show or shop.  Be sure to check reputations first!
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"It depends"

Some ancient coins are worth a buck or less.  Some are worth thousands.  Your most likely are in the former category, but the only way to tell is to ask someone who really knows.

You could post some good, large, clear, high-resolution photos and paste the links here... I'm certain we have some members who could give a guess.  Or try a coin collecting forum, or take them to a coin show or shop.  Be sure to check reputations first!

I was going to come here and post the same advice but you beat me to it.

I really must learn to type quickerlier.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Any Roman coins from the reign of Trajan?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Pics or BS.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn things are everywhere down along the river. Them gold lookin' ones make a decent fishin sinker once you poke a hole in em.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There are several museums around the world where you can buy those in their gift shops for $2 or $3 each.  

Correction: you can buy a aged cast pewter replica in museum  giftshops for $2 or$3 each
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There are several museums around the world where you can buy those in their gift shops for $2 or $3 each.  

Thanks wingman, I'm sure this may be the case.  

I'll say this a second time, for you non-reading mofos, I'll post pics when I get home on Tuesday.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Lets see them! I have been collecting Romans for over a year and I have a pretty good collection of early Empire up to about 300 AD. I might be able to help you out. Below are a few of mine. Make sure to take pics of the front and back (obverse and reverse). Just like today they had different issues of coins from the same empereor. The reverse normally tells a story about what was going on during that time. Im interested to see what you have!

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh and go to Vcoins.com
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Try Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-Ancient-/4733/i.html?_nkw=ancient+greek+coins
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#15]
You have pics of those coins?
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Lets see them! I have been collecting Romans for over a year and I have a pretty good collection of early Empire up to about 300 AD. I might be able to help you out. Below are a few of mine. Make sure to take pics of the front and back (obverse and reverse). Just like today they had different issues of coins from the same empereor. The reverse normally tells a story about what was going on during that time. Im interested to see what you have!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n128/mazawakhan/IMG_1624.jpg

Cool!  I have an ancient Roman coin that was handed down to me.  I'll try to dig it out and post a picture.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Oh and go to Vcoins.com

I second that!!

Vcoins is kinda like a Gunbroker of ancient coins.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:17:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:27:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Show them to the people at coincommunity.com. They're the best website ever for coins.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#20]
You got some nice ones there! They are all Roman, mostly 1st century. Some of the emperors that I see are Trajan, Marcus Aurelius, or Antoninius Pius, Diocletian or Maximian, possibly a Gordian and a Hadrian too. The second one might be Augustus or Tiberius, The coin of the woman could be Faustina. The bigger coins are called Sestertius. The next smaller size are call As and the tiny bronze are usually from the 3rd and 4th century It looks like you might have a silver Denarius or two in the mix also. Is there any way you could take some pics of these but upclose so I could read the legends? I really cant say for sure with out reading the legends on most of them. Another thing! You see the SC on the reverse of the coins? That stood for Senatus Consulto or Decreed by the Senate! Most 1st and some 2nd century coins had that stamped on them.

I looked up that big Trajan Sestertius in my encylopedia of Roman coins and this is what I found!

Trajan right before he died conquored what is now Iraq. So this coin is telling everyone of his exploits over there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a few, really cool to hold something so old and ponder the stories behind what they may have been used for.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I have a few, really cool to hold something so old and ponder the stories behind what they may have been used for.

Hookers and myrrh.

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Those are really cool.   Are any from BC?      iirc, the ones that say 120 BC (for example) are worth a lot more.

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Those are really cool.   Are any from BC?      iirc, the ones that say 120 BC (for example) are worth a lot more.  

They werent dated. The only possible BC coin is the second from the left on the top row. I think it is an Augustus.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You got some nice ones there! They are all Roman, mostly 1st century. Some of the emperors that I see are Trajan, Marcus Aurelius, or Antoninius Pius, Diocletian or Maximian, possibly a Gordian and a Hadrian too. The second one might be Augustus or Tiberius, The coin of the woman could be Faustina. The bigger coins are called Sestertius. The next smaller size are call As and the tiny bronze are usually from the 3rd and 4th century It looks like you might have a silver Denarius or two in the mix also. Is there any way you could take some pics of these but upclose so I could read the legends? I really cant say for sure with out reading the legends on most of them. Another thing! You see the SC on the reverse of the coins? That stood for Senatus Consulto or Decreed by the Senate! Most 1st and some 2nd century coins had that stamped on them.

I looked up that big Trajan Sestertius in my encylopedia of Roman coins and this is what I found!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n128/mazawakhan/IMG_2367.jpg

Thanks Maz.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n128/mazawakhan/IMG_2368-1.jpg

Trajan right before he died conquored what is now Iraq. So this coin is telling everyone of his exploits over there.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top