Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/31/2012 10:06:58 PM EDT
had a customer come in and try picking my brain on STEN info.. I had to do this.. ¯\(°_0)/¯

what can you guys tell me about them? can you make it semi and legal? is it possible? and when you get there is it still fun to shoot?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard of people a few years ago getting sten kits and getting tube receivers made or rewelded. I'm not sure what they used for a trigger control group though. You would have to make it 922r compliant and either SBR it, pin an extension or somehow get a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've heard of people a few years ago getting sten kits and getting tube receivers made or rewelded. I'm not sure what they used for a trigger control group though. You would have to make it 922r compliant and either SBR it, pin an extension or somehow get a 16" barrel.

thats what I'm thinking, I just can't see going through all the trouble to get a 9mm carbine.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Parts kits eight years ago were $50.  I'm sure you can make a semi-model it's just not a nice gun to look at and they are cheaper than hell.  They work fine(at least in fullauto, like intended) just no one that I know of that did anything with the parts kits.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.  Machining original bolts to remove the firing pin,  reduce the bolt OD and rebuilding the action to fire from the closed bolt is possible.  If you have the tooling and time...paying a gunsmith?  Inferior performance for the cost.

Yes, quite a few kits containing all but the receiver tube were on the market.  Even templates to cut a new  receiver from a raw tube.  But unless you have reduced the bolt diameter and drilled the bolt to accept a floating firing pin

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#5]
At a gunshow in the 80's a gentleman had a STEN "pistol" he put together from many of the MKII parts sets available at the time.  It sure looked cool just like the SMG except with a pistol grip instead of a stock.  He even kept it open bolt and insisted it was legal because he welded the selector button to semi only.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
At a gunshow in the 80's a gentleman had a STEN "pistol" he put together from many of the MKII parts sets available at the time.  It sure looked cool just like the SMG except with a pistol grip instead of a stock.  He even kept it open bolt and insisted it was legal because he welded the selector button to semi only.

maybe at the time it was cool but thats a big no no for open bolt now a days..
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Their 32 round preban mags are still useful in NY.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Indianapolisordnance.com

They've got everything you need other than the parts kit.  I bought a parts kit from aa-ok.com about a year and a half ago, then got all the semi parts and the tube from IO.  Took about 2 weekends of work with a drill press and dremel tool to get it all done.  The welding isn't really difficult (although I don't know how/or have a welder so I had a friend do it).  They do require some fitting, and mine had problems with the the bolt locking back to far due to the recoil spring, but IO actually includes 2 sets of springs so you can cut them as needed.  All in all, not a ton of difficult work, and pretty satisfying!  

Pic

ETA: I actually bought a MkIII parts kit when they were on sale for $60, and converted it into a MkII.....kits are definitely more expensive these days.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats what I'm thinking, I just can't see going through all the trouble to get a 9mm carbine.

What you get is a really shitty 9mm carbine. It was only useful as a full auto bullet hose. Why the hell anybody would want one in semi is beyond me. A lot of trouble for a gun made out of exhaust pipe and door springs.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pre-1982?  Problem is demonstrating STENs were imported in demilled kit form and this conversion was done before the ruling.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Semi auto open bolt was legal back in the day. You can still buy a a grandfathered open bolt MAC.

But your story almost reads like it was a real FA, just with the selector modified to not hit FA. High illegal then and now.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Indianapolisordnance.com

They've got everything you need other than the parts kit.  I bought a parts kit from aa-ok.com about a year and a half ago, then got all the semi parts and the tube from IO.  Took about 2 weekends of work with a drill press and dremel tool to get it all done.  The welding isn't really difficult (although I don't know how/or have a welder so I had a friend do it).  They do require some fitting, and mine had problems with the the bolt locking back to far due to the recoil spring, but IO actually includes 2 sets of springs so you can cut them as needed.  All in all, not a ton of difficult work, and pretty satisfying!  

Pic

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy144/USMMA2007/DSCN1253.jpg

ETA: I actually bought a MkIII parts kit when they were on sale for $60, and converted it into a MkII.....kits are definitely more expensive these days.

very nice.. how accurate is it? fun to shoot? what did you do for your fire control? welded the selector or convert it to a safety?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Pre-1982?  Problem is demonstrating STENs were imported in demilled kit form and this conversion was done before the ruling.

I know it was after the 86 ban but I don't remember if it was '87 or '88.  It was definitely not legal, all you would have needed to do was grind off his weld on the selector button for full auto.

If someone wanted to build a semi, I think the easiest way would be to copy how a semi-auto Uzi works.  Weld a blocking bar to the inside of the receiver, slot the bolt, and drill the bolt to use firing pin/striker.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Indianapolisordnance.com

Pic

very nice.. how accurate is it? fun to shoot? what did you do for your fire control? welded the selector or convert it to a safety?

I never really sat down and patterned it on paper, but I was able to consistently hit a pop can at 50 yards or so.  And its definitely a lot of fun to shoot, the biggest problem I had getting it to feed consistently.  The 32 round mags tend to put to much pressure on the round coming out, and cause a failure to feed.....plus, without a loader, its a total bitch to get 32 rounds in the mags since they are single stack.  I found that putting 20 or so in the 32s made the rifle a lot more reliable.  As for the fire control, I just welded the selector up.  Overall, like I said, it was a fun build and I learned a lot, and I ended up with $650-700 in it all together.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What you get is a really shitty 9mm carbine. It was only useful as a full auto bullet hose. Why the hell anybody would want one in semi is beyond me. A lot of trouble for a gun made out of exhaust pipe and door springs.  

They never were intended to be "Keepers". They really were manufactured by who knows who that had a bicycle shop, and Joe the plumber, and so-and-so who stamped out metal signs and what-nots, and the British equal to "Rosie the Riveter" assembled them during the Blitz.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought you might get a kick out of this picture, as far as the Sten mods go yes it would be relatively easy to accomplish a closed bolt, semi only conversion but I would never waste the time do it because... well , it's a Sten. Original or modded it just isn't that appealing. when one onsiders the plethora of much cooler 9mm offerings like MP-5 or converted AR platform guns. It served an awesome purpose but it was built to be cheap, rugged and reliable.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I thought you might get a kick out of this.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/4183/stentruck.jpg

A1 tactical wheelbarrow..

thanks for the info ill pass it on when my customer comes in again..
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I thought you might get a kick out of this.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/4183/stentruck.jpg

Yes, Sally the stenographer one day, Sally the STEN assembler the next!

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:49:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They never were intended to be "Keepers". They really were manufactured by who knows who that had a bicycle shop, and Joe the plumber, and so-and-so who stamped out metal signs and what-nots, and the British equal to "Rosie the Riveter" assembled them during the Blitz.

Not all that reliable either.  The assassination of SS General Heydrich was attempted with one, it was a thrown bomb which injured him.  The STEN jammed without firing a shot.  Practice in Czechoslovakia was risky.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#21]
9mm, 8 pounds, horrible trigger.
What else ya need?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

What you get is a really shitty 9mm carbine.

Because its fun.

It was only useful as a full auto bullet hose.

550-600rpm is NOT a bullet hose,

Why the hell anybody would want one in semi is beyond me. A lot of trouble for a gun made out of exhaust pipe and door springs.

Bed springs not door springs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5BH9osbb_I&feature=BFa&list=UUJgzzki7RxTuprSL_GV8qlQ&lf=plcp

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 2:06:38 AM EDT
[#23]
7.1lbs

Quoted:

9mm, 8 pounds, horrible trigger.

What else ya need?

one can get a Kits kit for $2-300.

a tube and blueprint for $50

and a semi kit for $300.

So $500 to $700 will do it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 2:54:50 AM EDT
[#24]
A guy at my club made some of those kits into FA post-86 dealer samples.  I guess for the $150 he had in them, they were OK at wasting ammo quickly.  He built them for our sub-gun matches, so that strangers wouldn't be shooting his valuable transferrable stuff.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:32:12 AM EDT
[#25]
It would be cheaper and easier to buy a Sterling. Better mags and they seem to be reliable.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:32:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If somebody discovered a Sten in WW2 grandpa's stash after he died, they are up shit creek. Once a machine gun, ALWAYS a machine gun, acc. to the ATF. Put your hands over your ears next time this guy shows up, and sing, "Lalala, l I can't hear you...." You don't want to get involved.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:36:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I own a canadian built WWII sten mk2

Fun toy . Even more when supressed !
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:40:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he were to build it into a pistol, 922r would not be an issue. Building parts kits is a ton of fun. As mentioned, Prexis is a good site for parts and ideas. Have him go to Weaponsguild too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:37:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semi auto open bolt was legal back in the day. You can still buy a a grandfathered open bolt MAC.

But your story almost reads like it was a real FA, just with the selector modified to not hit FA. High illegal then and now.

YEp, and open bolt semi MACs are almost as expensive as FA ones. They're so easy to "convert" to fullauto that all it takes is handloading. Slightly less than full power ammo, and it will cycle far enough to eject the case and pick up the next round, but not far enough to lock the bolt open. Of course, this is as illegal as a true post 86 conversion, and much more dangerous since the only to stop it from firing once it starts is to unload it. Big part of why they were banned.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:44:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yes.  Machining original bolts to remove the firing pin,  reduce the bolt OD and rebuilding the action to fire from the closed bolt is possible.  If you have the tooling and time...paying a gunsmith?  Inferior performance for the cost.

Yes, quite a few kits containing all but the receiver tube were on the market.  Even templates to cut a new  receiver from a raw tube.  But unless you have reduced the bolt diameter and drilled the bolt to accept a floating firing pin

There was a three part article in SGN that did exactly that. He gave measurements and a step by step discription of how he did it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:48:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Need some more pr0n

My grandad with one, in 1944..

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:10:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow, a lot of input from people who obviously have no experience with STEN guns.  

We have 4 in inventory here in full auto.  One STEN Mk II and three STEN Mk III's.  The Mk II is more complicated but much more versatile than the Mk III series.  The Mk III is much simpler a design and much more basic.  All of them are very reliable and for an open bolt SMG, very acceptably accurate on semi automatic.  

On the semi versions, I've seen two seperate types.  One used a hammer style firing design and the other used a striker design.  The hammer design was a complicated bitch.  The striker design was much more elegant and easier to disassemble and reassemble.  

STEN guns are quite ugly but they work.  If a STEN doesn't work properly, it's been very poorly maintained.  

A STEN Mk II next to a Sterling Mk 4...

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:12:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Indianapolisordnance.com

Pic

I never really sat down and patterned it on paper, but I was able to consistently hit a pop can at 50 yards or so.  And its definitely a lot of fun to shoot, the biggest problem I had getting it to feed consistently.  The 32 round mags tend to put to much pressure on the round coming out, and cause a failure to feed.....plus, without a loader, its a total bitch to get 32 rounds in the mags since they are single stack.  I found that putting 20 or so in the 32s made the rifle a lot more reliable.  As for the fire control, I just welded the selector up.  Overall, like I said, it was a fun build and I learned a lot, and I ended up with $650-700 in it all together.

Not the best loader in the world, but it has made a huge difference for me. I use sten mags on my 9mm AR.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/292166/tapco-magazine-loader-sten-mpa-polymer-black
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:18:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back in the days of legal open bolt semis, there was a company that sold an open-bolt semi-auto Sten. They took a sten-gun parts kit and made a new receiver that was identical to the machine gun receiver. Then they put a spot weld on the selector so it was welded in the semi-auto position. To meet the 16" barrel requirement, they slipped a piece of tubing over the original barrel and put a spot weld to hold it on which brought the barrel length to 16" inches. They sold in Shot Gun News for about $285 as I recall. A few minutes with a dremel tool to knock off the two spot welds and you had a select fire SMG with the short barrel. The BATF eventually caught on to what was going on and shut him down.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Yep. Pics are old. Sight has been replaced since
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

he was also asking about mags.. any place to get them cheap?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone will say cheap mags, cheap MAGS, CHEAP MAGS.
They lie, you need to go back in time to about 2002.
You can score $10 mags still but need to hunt for them.

Stand by for awesome photos.

Mag whore here:

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#40]
It's been awhile since I've checked, but the SAS-3 Semi Auto kits may be available again, and, Indianapolis Ordnance was making a semi kit. All that is needed is a donor parts kit, and some mad welding skillz. There used to be a few pretty decent how to web sites out there, but I have not checked for any updates on all things Sten in years. Yahoo Sten group is a pretty good resource too, just don't piss off the site admin guy, he can be a real hoot.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

It's been awhile since I've checked, but the SAS-3 Semi Auto kits may be available again, and, Indianapolis Ordnance was making a semi kit. All that is needed is a donor parts kit, and some mad welding skillz. There used to be a few pretty decent how to web sites out there, but I have not checked for any updates on all things Sten in years. Yahoo Sten group is a pretty good resource too, just don't piss off the site admin guy, he can be a real hoot.

I'm  your huckleberry

Your GTAW slinging huckleberry.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Neat weapon...I wouldn't mind having one of the original suppressed versions.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My grandad with one, in 1944..

http://i24.servimg.com/u/f24/11/94/71/06/nonno110.jpg

Partisans? Or post 1943 Italian Army?

Looks like they're using a little bit of everything...
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheap Sten mags, as in $2-$3ea. are a thing of the past - $15.00 is pretty much the new norm for decent mags.

And like Chas said, the occasional $10 find is out there, but you really have to look and be ready to jump when they come up.

I knew there was a reason I bought all those mags from tapco when they were cheap.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheap Sten mags, as in $2-$3ea. are a thing of the past - $15.00 is pretty much the new norm for decent mags.

And like Chas said, the occasional $10 find is out there, but you really have to look and be ready to jump when they come up.

I knew there was a reason I bought all those mags from tapco when they were cheap.

Same here.  Didn't have anything to use them in at the time but couldn't pass up the deal.  IIRC it was something like $20 for 10 mags + a beat to hell Danish/Dutch <?> haversack.  I figured on eventually getting an Oly 9mm AR, a MPA Mac11 clone or something else to use them in.  As it turns out I bought a WLA  Sterling.  Had to tweak a few feedlips for some to work, a couple look like they were made by a inbred crosseyed village blacksmith in east goatfvckistan & are only good for paperweights.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#47]
SemiAuto Sten used to be the go-to for Sten projects.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Cheap, somewhat unreliable, ugly. But it worked for what it was.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.  Didn't have anything to use them in at the time but couldn't pass up the deal.  IIRC it was something like $20 for 10 mags + a beat to hell Danish/Dutch <?> haversack.  I figured on eventually getting an Oly 9mm AR, a MPA Mac11 clone or something else to use them in.  As it turns out I bought a WLA  Sterling.  Had to tweak a few feedlips for some to work, a couple look like they were made by a inbred crosseyed village blacksmith in east goatfvckistan & are only good for paperweights.

Every time I ordered a FAL kit I added that same package.  I must have 30 or 40 magazines.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#50]

The Sten is a weapon of freedom.

I'd love a SA one, but it looks like the plan to market them fell through.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top