Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/7/2012 12:35:35 PM EDT
Some people say a very fat man will last a good long time, living off his fat stores, if you give him only water, but no food. He would die once he ran out and leave an emaciated corpse.

It seems to me he would die long before losing all his fat, because his fat couldn't be converted to energy at a sufficient rate. He'd leave a fat corpse.

Anybody have an opinion? Any anecdotes or scientific evidence?

Eta: no excercise, no food whatsoever and plenty of water.

Eta2: I understand that if he died skinny, there could be some very loose skin. Skin tightness isn't part of the question though. I just want to know if he'd die fat or live off the fat a long time and die when he ran out. I'm still leaning towards dieing fat.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you want to do that to yourself?

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Im pretty sure he would look dead .

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Some people say a very fat man will last a good long time, living off his fat stores, if you give him only water, but no food. He would die once he ran out and leave an emaciated corpse.

It seems to me he would die long before losing all his fat, because his fat couldn't be converted to energy at a sufficient rate. He'd leave a fat corpse.

i think the muscles would go first then the fat stores. while a fat man would be quite skinny by the end, he would not look like a anorexic skeleton. lots and lots of floppy lose skin i would imagine.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know, but keep your hands offa my samich!!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#5]
He'd probably look like hammered shit one way or the other.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
He will be an even bigger man due to the gases building up in him after death.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#7]
what makes you think his fat couldn't be converted to energy at a sufficient rate? it's not really all that hard to break down fat.

i think the real question would be which vitamin deficiencies would be a problem, depending on how long this big ugly fat fucker is starving.

IIRC death by, say, scurvy can take a while.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

So in other words, he'd look just like Michael Moore?

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So in other words, he'd look just like Michael Moore?      

BIGGER!!!!

Even in death that's quite an accomplishment.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i think the muscles would go first then the fat stores. while a fat man would be quite skinny by the end, he would not look like a anorexic skeleton. lots and lots of floppy lose skin i would imagine.

Not true.  The Human Body burns fuel in this order:  Carbs > Fat > Muscle.

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Holocaust,,  google it,How many fat joos do you see???
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Physical starvation will not induce ketosis, one of the body's way to burn off fat energy stores.

Now if there was water and a high source of protein; say roaches, worms, other insects, this fellow would/could loose weight fast.

Without food (protein), he will die fat in 8 to 10 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]
The 'beetus will get him before starvation

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#14]
The fat absolutely could be converted at a fast enough rate.  Assuming he wasn't being required to expend too many calories.  

What's the scenario?   He needs to be allowed a sedentary lifesyle:  Prison cell with Arfcom/Internet connection a good supply of water and some multivitamins.  

You aren't allowed to chase him around in the woods like in Hunger Games.

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I know I can go for a week with no food without ill effects.  My fat ass would last a long time before I keeled over.  Wouldn't be fun though, and I'd be a pretty dangerous baggy skinned mo fo by that time.    Muscle mass would go, but the fat would probably go faster.  Water is vital, but electolytes would be critical too or you'd shut down.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Physical starvation will not induce ketosis, one of the body's way to burn off fat energy stores.

Why do you say that?  

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Holocaust,,  google it,How many fat joos do you see???

There was 'some' 'food', just not healthy or enough.  Bare minimum.  Fuck the Nazis.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

takes 3 days for the body to start breaking down muscle for the protien. i guess it depends on how fat the guy is?
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You're pretty new here so I'll spell it out for ya:    She's got a fat gimp in here basement.     I thought it would be sorta obvious to everybody.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you say that?  

Ketosis will burn fat off quick.  But to be able to achieve it, the fat body requires little carbs and high protein.  AKA: Adkins
I lost nearly 200 pounds using this exact method last year, FWIW.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Now if there was water and a high source of protein; say roaches, worms, other insects, this fellow would/could loose weight fast.

Source on the no ketosis during fasting?  That seems different from my understanding.  Whenever your body metabolizes protein, you will produce Ketones.  If you're starving, you'll metabolize whatever is in your cells, burning both the fat from your fat cells, and protein from your muscles to produce blood sugar.  I bet a starving person would be in raging ketosis.  Layperson's understanding here.  I can definitely be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
what makes you think his fat couldn't be converted to energy at a sufficient rate? it's not really all that hard to break down fat.

i think the real question would be which vitamin deficiencies would be a problem, depending on how long this big ugly fat fucker is starving.

IIRC death by, say, scurvy can take a while.  

I have no idea, that's why I'm asking you guise.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Physical starvation will not induce ketosis

I know a guy who is skinny who thinks ketosis is a healthy way of losing weight. He doesn't appear to have an ounce of fat on him yet hes got it set in his head that there is fat there.

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source on the no ketosis during fasting?  That seems different from my understanding.  Whenever your body metabolizes protein, you will produce Ketones.  If you're starving, you'll metabolize whatever is in your cells, burning both the fat from your fat cells, and protein from your muscles to produce blood sugar.  I bet a starving person would be in raging ketosis.  Layperson's understanding here.  I can definitely be wrong.

Stand by, wait for edit In red is what you are looking for.  Ketosis =/= ketoacidosis

What is Ketosis and how does ketosis happen?

Ketosis occurs when the circulating blood has a high concentration of ketones or ketoacids.

Ketosis occurs as a result of a change in the body's energy creation pathways. The normal energy creation mechanism centers on glucose. The body can absorb glucose directly in the diet, make it from other sugars or protein in the diet or even recreate it from the bodies own storage systems in the liver. The brain and red blood cells among other cells are dependent on glucose to function normally.

In starvation, when the body is not getting any new glucose from the diet, it will use its own glucose storage ‘warehouse' in the liver. After the body has used up its all the liver storage, the body will make more glucose from muscle. When the body can not function because of the limitations of the energy supply, the body will begin to breakdown its fat storage.

As fat is broken down to be used, it releases smaller energy units into the bloodstream. These energy units will be used by the brain, the red blood cells and other cells. As they use the fat unit energy it releases a byproduct or end product called a ketone.

Ketone bodies are the metabolic substances known as acetoacetic acid and beta-hydroxybutyric acid. Acetone, which puts off the peculiar odor associated with ketosis, comes from acetoacetic acid. Ketones can be irritating to the kidneys and the kidneys expel ketones through the urine.

Dietary Ketosis and Ketoacidosis

Critics of low carbohydrate diets express concerns about the long-term health consequences of ketosis. The idea behind ketosis producing diets (typically very low-calorie diet programs) is to force the body to lose weight by burning body fat.

Supporters of low carbohydrate eating plans claim that low-carbohydrate-diet induced ketosis is safe. They point out that dietary ketosis should not be confused with ketoacidosis, which is a life-threatening condition associated with untreated Type 1 Diabetes, caused by a lack of insulin. They argue that ketoacidosis doesn't occur in normal healthy individuals because the presence of insulin keeps ketone production in check so that only a mild, beneficial ketosis is achieved.

Benefits of Ketosis

Possible benefits of dietary ketosis include fast weight loss, decreased hunger and food cravings, and improved mood have been reported on ketosis inducing diets.

Some of the health concerns with ketosis

When the body starts using the alternative fuel fat, for its energy source it produces chemicals that have affects on many of the bodies organ systems. Some of the adverse side effects with circulating ketones include weakness, nausea, headache, confusion, dehydration and acetone-like smelling breath. The consequences could be serious for people with diabetes.

Ketosis producing diets concerns are likely to revolve around the health risks associated with lack of vitamins and minerals caused by insufficient carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are a rich source of micro-nutrients and other nutrition, like fiber.

How is Ketosis diagnosed?

Ketosis can be diagnosed by a urine test, and confirmed with a blood test, which can also measure the blood acidity.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#27]
From Wiki
Glucose is the body's primary fuel source and is essential for the brain's functioning. When denied glucose for more than 4–8 hours, the body turns to the liver for glycogen, a storage form of glucose, to be used for fuel. A process called glycogenolysis converts glycogen into a usable form of fuel. At this point, the body also uses small amounts of protein to supplement this fuel. This fuel will last for up to 12 hours before the body needs to turn to glycogen stored in muscles, lasting for a few more days. If glucose is still denied at this point, muscle wasting is prevented by temporarily switching to fat as the primary fuel source, with glucose made as a byproduct during ketosis. The brain can then use this glucose or even ketones as a fuel source, while the rest of the body thrives on primarily fat. The body continues to use fat for as long as there is fat to consume. The body will generally indicate to the faster when fat levels are running extremely low (less than 7% and 10% of body weight for males and females, respectively) with an increased urge for food. Fasts are usually broken long before this point. If the fast is not broken, starvation begins to occur, as the body begins to use protein for fuel. Health complications associated with fast-induced starvation include electrolyte imbalances, thinning hair, lanugo, cardiac arrhythmia and renal failure. Death can occur if fasting is pursued to the point of complete starvation.
Research suggests there are major health benefits to caloric restriction. Benefits include reduced risks of cancer, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, insulin resistance, immune disorders, and more generally, the slowing of the aging process, and the potential to increase maximum life span.[2] According to Dr. Mark P. Mattson, chief of the laboratory of neurosciences at the US National Institute on Aging, fasting every other day (intermittent fasting) shows beneficial effects in mice as strong as those of caloric-restriction diets,[3] and a small study conducted on humans at the University of Illinois at Chicago indicates the same results [4] According to the US National Academy of Sciences, other health benefits include stress resistance, increased insulin sensitivity, reduced morbidity, and increased life span.[5][6] Long-term studies in humans have not been conducted. However, short-term human trials showed benefits in weight loss. The side effect was that the participants felt cranky during the three week trial. According to the study conducted by Dr. Eric Ravussin, "Alternate-day fasting may be an alternative to prolonged diet restriction for increasing the life span".[7]
Adherence to Greek Orthodox fasting periods contributes to an improvement in the blood lipid profile, including a decrease in total and LDL cholesterol, and a decrease in the LDL to HDL cholesterol ratio. A statistically insignificant reduction in HDL cholesterol was also observed. These results suggest a possible positive impact on the obesity levels of individuals who adhere to these fasting periods.
Changes in blood chemistry during fasting, in combination with certain medications, may have dangerous effects, such as increased chance of acetaminophen poisoning.[9] Excessive fasting for calorie restrictive purposes, accompanied by intense fears of becoming overweight are associated with mental disturbances, including anorexia nervosa.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
From Wiki
Glucose is the body's primary fuel source and is essential for the brain's functioning. When denied glucose for more than 4–8 hours, the body turns to the liver for glycogen, a storage form of glucose, to be used for fuel. A process called glycogenolysis converts glycogen into a usable form of fuel. At this point, the body also uses small amounts of protein to supplement this fuel. This fuel will last for up to 12 hours before the body needs to turn to glycogen stored in muscles, lasting for a few more days. If glucose is still denied at this point, muscle wasting is prevented by temporarily switching to fat as the primary fuel source, with glucose made as a byproduct during ketosis. The brain can then use this glucose or even ketones as a fuel source, while the rest of the body thrives on primarily fat. The body continues to use fat for as long as there is fat to consume. The body will generally indicate to the faster when fat levels are running extremely low (less than 7% and 10% of body weight for males and females, respectively) with an increased urge for food. Fasts are usually broken long before this point. If the fast is not broken, starvation begins to occur, as the body begins to use protein for fuel. Health complications associated with fast-induced starvation include electrolyte imbalances, thinning hair, lanugo, cardiac arrhythmia and renal failure. Death can occur if fasting is pursued to the point of complete starvation.
Research suggests there are major health benefits to caloric restriction. Benefits include reduced risks of cancer, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, insulin resistance, immune disorders, and more generally, the slowing of the aging process, and the potential to increase maximum life span.[2] According to Dr. Mark P. Mattson, chief of the laboratory of neurosciences at the US National Institute on Aging, fasting every other day (intermittent fasting) shows beneficial effects in mice as strong as those of caloric-restriction diets,[3] and a small study conducted on humans at the University of Illinois at Chicago indicates the same results [4] According to the US National Academy of Sciences, other health benefits include stress resistance, increased insulin sensitivity, reduced morbidity, and increased life span.[5][6] Long-term studies in humans have not been conducted. However, short-term human trials showed benefits in weight loss. The side effect was that the participants felt cranky during the three week trial. According to the study conducted by Dr. Eric Ravussin, "Alternate-day fasting may be an alternative to prolonged diet restriction for increasing the life span".[7]
Adherence to Greek Orthodox fasting periods contributes to an improvement in the blood lipid profile, including a decrease in total and LDL cholesterol, and a decrease in the LDL to HDL cholesterol ratio. A statistically insignificant reduction in HDL cholesterol was also observed. These results suggest a possible positive impact on the obesity levels of individuals who adhere to these fasting periods.
Changes in blood chemistry during fasting, in combination with certain medications, may have dangerous effects, such as increased chance of acetaminophen poisoning.[9] Excessive fasting for calorie restrictive purposes, accompanied by intense fears of becoming overweight are associated with mental disturbances, including anorexia nervosa.

Ketosis =/= ketoacidosis, two separate things.  In OP scenario, the difference between one and the other (dieing fat or thin) is as simple as a few bugs...
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're pretty new here so I'll spell it out for ya:    She's got a fat gimp in here basement.     I thought it would be sorta obvious to everybody.  

Yeah, I got that.

You don't think such a thing should cause a raised eyebrow?
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I got that.

Wait until you get to know her better
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Just shoot him and quit dickin around.

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Hang fire.

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Some chick named Stephen King made a documentary called Thinner about it in the 90's.

The guy went from this

to this

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I just want to see one on fire.

You know some house has burned down with one of those gigantic fatties in it.  I imagine a stream of grease running out of the house out into the street as the fat renders off.

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

This is absolute fud.  The human body goes into ketosis from lack of carbs, period.  Ketones show up in urinalysis and/or breath in just a matter of 2-3 days when on a water fast.  Once in ketosis, the body does an amazing job of preserving muscle mass while burning fat for fuel, considering you are not intaking any protein - however some muscle loss occurs during a water fast, but most of the fuel burned is from fat sources.  Google Water Fasting & Ketosis.

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#36]
This guy fasted 382 days under doctors guidance with no I'll effects :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just want to see one on fire.

You know some house has burned down with one of those gigantic fatties in it.  I imagine a stream of grease running out of the house out into the street as the fat renders off.

That 'fat juice' or whatever its real name is; is supposedly flammable itself.  IOW: the fatty is a candle....  (reference: spontaneous combustion)
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is absolute fud.  The human body goes into ketosis from lack of carbs, period.  Ketones show up in urinalysis and/or breath in just a matter of 2-3 days when on a water fast.  Once in ketosis, the body does an amazing job of preserving muscle mass while burning fat for fuel, considering you are not intaking any protein - however some muscle loss occurs during a water fast, but most of the fuel burned is from fat sources. Google Water Fasting & Ketosis.

Ketosis =/= ketoacidosis ; see above.

This is good:
The Effects of Fasting Ketosis

Understanding ketosis and muscle loss during fasting.

The process of ketosis is one of the physiological effects of fasting in which the brain (and some other bodily processes) uses ketones produced from fatty tissues as a fuel instead of the usual glucose. This is called "muscle sparing".
When glucose isn't readily available via the diet (in the form of carbohydrates) and the glycogen stores in the liver become depleted, the body could break down muscle to get it. But ketosis is an adaptation that will spare muscle during times of shortage by instead breaking down fat stores and manufacturing ketones for brain fuel. It is said this state is attained at approximately 48 hours of a water fast for women and closer to 72 hours for men.

The effects of fasting ketosis have become a more popular and controversial subject in recent years due to low-carb, high-protein dieters relying on it long-term to "burn the fat".

Where ketosis was once considered a "crisis response" of the body and fine only for short durations, there are some doctors who now contend ketones are an acceptable alternative fuel, produced and used by the body any time glucose is scarce, which can happen even in non-fasting, non-dieting individuals, such as during intense exercise or during sleep. They are considering it a natural metabolic process where ketone production and use fluctuates constantly in response to the body's needs.

What is so controversial about the low-carbers use of ketosis is the long term, artificially produced, use of it. Over long periods of time, their high-protein diet produces excess protein by-products that become a strain on the kidneys to eliminate. Ketosis also creates a mild acidosis of the blood, which, over a long period of time is considered detrimental to our health. One effect being the leaching of minerals from our bones, causing osteoporosis.

Ketosis and fasting

Fasting, on the other hand, is a short-term endeavor. Even a 21 day fast is short compared to a year-long diet. Excess protein by-products are not being created. And ketosis is being entered by a naturally occurring process.
Also, in fasting, we listen for the body's signal to end the fast, to tell us when its reserves are too low to continue living off them.

Even during complete water fasting, which puts you in the fullest state of ketosis, there is some muscle loss. Dr. Fuhrman, who has fasted thousands, states that it decreases to less than 0.2 kg per day once full ketosis is reached, usually by the third day. There are other bodily/cellular processes that continue to require glucose and some tissue will be broken down to metabolize it.

Fasting methods that include some carbohydrates, like juice or fruit fasting, can produce various degrees of ketosis, and strive to provide enough carbs to prevent any muscle loss. Some juice fasters (as well as low-carbers) adhere to the theory that 400 calories (carbohydrates) will supply enough glucose to prevent muscle loss and aim for that number in their daily diet.

On the other hand, some proponents of water fasting contend the magic number is 1200 calories, and suggest that only complete abstention from food will produce the level of ketosis desired to safeguard muscle. What they don't tell you is that even in water fasting, there is still some muscle wasting.

As unique as each of our bodies and metabolic processes are, it's doubtful any such magic number actually exists.

Because of the inherent tissue loss in water fasting, Fuhrman suggests individuals of normal weight not fast longer than 21 days, or they "can become so thin that they have a long road back regaining their strength." But, we must remember, therapeutic fasting to treat chronic health issues such as Fuhrman was doing, while it might cause some muscle loss, is a trade-off for the improvement in the condition. We make worse trade-offs every day in traditional medicine––just read the warnings and side effects to prescription drugs or the release form you sign before surgery.

Even if we're not fasting for treatment of a serious chronic condition but for simple detox and general improved well-being, we should remember that part of the concept of detox is the breakdown of inferior materials and the rebuilding of new healthier cells. Any muscle lost to a fast isn't lost forever––it can be built back. Respecting the signs of "true hunger", and ending your fast when it appears, no matter whether you've attained the number of days you wanted or not, is your insurance against going too far.

As to the breakdown of tissue, know that any loss isn't arbitrary; the most expendable are used first. To quote Paavo Airola, a proponent of juice fasting:

"...your body will first decompose and burn those cells and tissues which are diseased, damaged, aging or dead. In fasting, your body feeds itself on the most impure and inferior materials, such as dead cells and morbid accumulations, tumors, abscesses, damaged tissues, fat deposits, etc. Dr.Buchinger Sr., one of the greatest fasting authorities in the world, calls fasting - very pertinently - a "refuse disposal", a "burning of rubbish". These dead cells and inferior tissues are consumed and utilized first. The essential tissues and vital organs, the glands, the nervous system and the brain, are spared.

...During fasting, while the old cells and diseased tissues are decomposed and burned, the building of new, healthy cells is stimulated and speeded up... Amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, are not wasted, but are released from the decomposed cells and used again in the new-building of young, vital cells. As you know, your cells are made mostly of proteins and the complete set of all the essential amino acids is needed for the effective building of cells. During fasting the proteins needed for new cell building are resynthesized from the decomposed cells. Thus the body is using and re-using the same proteins and other nutrients over and over where they are needed."
This makes sense. We see it everywhere about us. Nature doesn't waste, but reuses.

While in the state of ketosis

After the initial few days of adaptation, some people experience ketosis as wonderful, with increased energy and loss of appetite. Usually the more overweight an individual, the higher their energy. Thinner people may need more rest than usual. Some fasters show concern that they feel "too good" for anything to be happening.
The loss of appetite serves us well during fasting for obvious reasons, but it also allows for the signal to end the fast to be heard. When hunger suddenly returns after being absent for perhaps days, it's the sign the body now requires additional fuel. It is time to break the fast.

If you are interested in testing yourself for ketones, there are urine testers (sticks) available over-the-counter that will determine if there are ketones present in your urine.

These testers are somewhat unreliable since they only measure excess ketones; if your body is under-producing the necessary amount of ketones, there won't be excess ketones thrown off in the urine, nor will they show in urine once the body has stabilized to the new fasting state and the proper amount of ketones are being produced and used up.

Blood tests are much more accurate since they don't rely on an excess being present, but obviously aren't practical as an at-home test.

Science and ketosis

Science hasn't yet been able to answer all the questions we have about the effects of fasting and the process of ketosis. But what we do know is that both ketosis and fasting are common and naturally occurring bodily processes. Remember, they have found ketone bodies in the blood of individuals who were under great physical exertion, as well as those who were sleeping.
In generally healthy individuals, the amount of possible muscle loss is considered negligible. But, if you're a 6 foot tall, 95 pound fashion model, this loss may not be so negligible. Nor if you're emaciated by a serious debilitating illness.

Physical bodily reserves are necessary to support the process of ketosis. Most of us have such reserves, but emaciated individuals shouldn't be fasting or, at least, only under the constant care of a physician. (See Who Can Fast.)

If the idea of any muscle loss is highly upsetting to you, if you're an athlete or a body builder, and you're not attempting to treat chronic conditions, you probably shouldn't consider a water fast. You can opt instead for a juice fast, Master Cleanse, or a mono-diet such as a fruit or rice fast. While we don't know the exact number of calories necessary to avoid all tissue loss, the modicum of nutrition in these fasting methods can assist your body in its fuel requirements.

If even these methods concern you, there are always cleansing diets which can provide a full compliment of nutrition, while still allowing the body to catch up on its housecleaning.

The beneficial physiological effects of fasting are well documented. It's been a therapeutic practice for at least 5,000 years that we know of. It doesn't try to manipulate nature, but works with her toward rest and healing. Ketosis is just one of the effects of fasting, all of which come together in leading us toward greater health and vitality.

THIS IS BAD:
Causes of Ketoacidosis without any prevalence information

The following causes of Ketoacidosis are ones for which we do not have any prevalence information.

Acidemia, propionic - ketoacidosis
Alcoholic ketoacidosis
Biotinidase deficiency - ketoacidosis
DEND syndrome - ketoacidosis
Diabetes
Diabetic ketoacidosis
Fructose-1, 6-diphosphatase deficiency
Glucose transporter type 1 deficiency
Glycogenosis type 1a
Glycogenosis type 3
Glycogenosis type 6
Isovaleric acidaemia
Lipoamide dehydrogenase deficiency - ketoacidosis
Malonyl-CoA decarboxylase deficiency
Methylmalonic aciduria type 2
Propionic acidaemia type 2
Propionic Acidemia - ketoacidosis
Propionyl-CoA carboxylase deficiency
Starvation
Starvation (acute)

Type 1 diabetes
Type 2 diabetes
more causes...»

acute starvation
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#39]
A raisin?  Drastic weight loss cannot shrink the skin.  Suffice to say, I have personal experience with such a person.

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#40]
something tells me the body has a few more processes than this ketosis thing going on.

but, then, years ago everything in chemistry had to do with phlogiston, so who knows?
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Some chick named Stephen King made a documentary called Thinner about it in the 90's.

The guy went from this

http://img.movieberry.com/static/photos/2651/4_midi.jpg

to this

http://image.xyface.com/image/t/movie-thinner/thinner-31535.jpg

I just watched this the other day.
ETA: Who cares? I don't think about fat people now, why would I care what they look like dead?
Of course, i'm joking.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#42]

So, who's the fat gimp in the basement?
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Eta: no excercise, no food whatsoever and plenty of water.

DIE FAT
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I got that.

I'm as harmless as a kitten.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't look at me in that tone of voice, I know where you live.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't look at me in that tone of voice, I know where you live.

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Probably a lot like this
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#49]
The human body is well adapted to starvation conditions.  With no caloric intake, it will burn fat preferentially.  Nobody would claim it's actually good for you as you need things like vitamins and other micro nutrients not to mention essential amino acids.  

Here's a pic of an extremely fat guy who lost weight fast.  He needed surgery to correct the loose skin. ETA same guy as above AFAIK.

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#50]
The guy in the pics above had to be over 500 lbs I'd guess.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top